Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 18:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Fieldofsorrow Fieldofsorrow wrote:

yeah.... for all the sh*t we give DT...  give them props for spotlighting a band and music FAR more advanced and ..well... simply better in many ways than their own.  They were upstaged.   Funny thing is... I think they'd be the first to admit it, and that gets my respect. 

To be honest, I think they just see it as demonstrating the wide variety of prog that is available, not worrying about who upstages whom.

then they'd be the first band to be so self-righteous...  LOL   Do they worry.. of course not... they have a proven fanbase that will lap up whatever sh*t they release.

however don't tell me they didn't notice large segments of the crowd that that came for music, not to worship the group, walking out in the middle of their set....

I saw a few... maybe 5...

What i don't understand is what some people were doing there on the first place.... I mean, if they like to waste money, great for them that they love to go to concerts of bands they hate...

Edited by The T - August 25 2009 at 18:49
Fieldofsorrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 02:02
^

Well, it wouldn't have surprised them to see people leaving. We all know they're a very unpopular band, as do they. But yeah, quite a waste of money. Not particularly respectful, either, but then again, we are dealing with Dream Theater.
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 02:09
I'm going all the way to Las Vegas to see them perform live this friday (August 28th)

Not really looking forward to Zappa or Bigelf but who knows, should be good in any case, although Im sure it wont top last year.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 05:56
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Fieldofsorrow Fieldofsorrow wrote:

yeah.... for all the sh*t we give DT...  give them props for spotlighting a band and music FAR more advanced and ..well... simply better in many ways than their own.  They were upstaged.   Funny thing is... I think they'd be the first to admit it, and that gets my respect. 

To be honest, I think they just see it as demonstrating the wide variety of prog that is available, not worrying about who upstages whom.

then they'd be the first band to be so self-righteous...  LOL   Do they worry.. of course not... they have a proven fanbase that will lap up whatever sh*t they release.

however don't tell me they didn't notice large segments of the crowd that that came for music, not to worship the group, walking out in the middle of their set....

I saw a few... maybe 5...

What i don't understand is what some people were doing there on the first place.... I mean, if they like to waste money, great for them that they love to go to concerts of bands they hate...

hahhaha... not sure about what you saw Teo....  the show we went to had 5 bands.. not 1.   The people that we walked with to the parking lot with were talking about how great ZpZ was.  I'd say they didn't waste money... we sure didn't.  LOL  We just saw the headliner a band early I guess.. and someone put an opening act on last hahha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 16:08
I watched every minute of DT and enjoyed it. I hope the DT fans watch the other bands because they all have something different to offer. FWIW, the couple right in front of us had come to see Zappa Plays Zappa, asked us what DT were going to sound like. The best I could come up with "Sorta like Iron Maiden and Yes combined." In any case they really liked Dream Theater's set.

It's all good people.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 12:37
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I'm going all the way to Las Vegas to see them perform live this friday (August 28th)

Not really looking forward to Zappa or Big elf but who knows, should be good in any case, although I'm sure it wont top last year.

Believe Isn't only TD that will enjoy. I was just like you with Zappa. but I was amazed how awesome Dewizel sounded and his band. superb sh*t! also Big Elf was excellent. Reminds me of Uriah Heep Meets Black Sabbath.

http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 12:52
Dweezil worshipped all the shredders in the 80's and is very good himself. He was probably just as fast as Pertucci. I'm not kidding.

The two guitarists' musical vocabularies are a bit different (Dweezil doesn't sweep, he uses tapping differently, etc)

If you don't enjoy Bigelf, you don't know what rock n' roll is all about. It's nothing innovative or brilliant but it sure as hades rocks!
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 13:06
Great Picture Dude.!! Thanks...  ( did anybody see me there giving flier of my collages?  ohh wait I did meet  few Young fellas from PA. I wasn't waisted yetLOL)

Edited by darksideof - September 16 2009 at 12:29
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
TheSubhuman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 13:47
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

If you don't enjoy Bigelf, you don't know what rock n' roll is all about. It's nothing innovative or brilliant but it sure as hades rocks!

I plead guilty. Not that Bigelf were bad, but I found the singer's voice very grating, and their music nothing special - even if normally I enjoy that kind of stuff.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 10:52
Wow, nice pics!

It sounds like the DT show went well. I wish I could have been there....Cry

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 10:59
If you want a sample of how unbelievable ZpZ is, youtube "Echidna's Arf part 2." It's played at virtually every show and is just insanity. We got the full rendition of the "Black Page" also.

Edited by Negoba - August 28 2009 at 11:00
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 12:05

Dweezil worshipped all the shredders in the 80's and is very good himself. He was probably just as fast as Pertucci. I'm not kidding.

The two guitarists' musical vocabularies are a bit different (Dweezil doesn't sweep, he uses tapping differently, etc)

i saw a video of Dweezil playing on youtube i think, before Zappa Plays Zappa was formed, and he was ripping the fastest solo, i was proud Frank had such a gifted guitarist for a son.

on a technical level, he's much better than his father, but when i saw ZpZ, i could tell his style has been influenced by his dad, especially since the formation of ZpZ, Dweezil has said he has raided his dad's discography and just listened to everything. he's been able to get that gritty tone, that self-taught rawness on his guitar. of course IMO and probably everyone else's, FZ's strenght was composing......DUH

Dweezil better than Petrucci? that's a hard one. i honestly dont know how i could say who's the better guitarist. especially since ZpZ, for the most part, sticks to material from 72-77 and Hot Rats. Zappa's late 70s/80s stuff had some serious guitar parts, though not necessarily played by the man himself.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 18:32

oh that they do.. they do rock hard. I enjoyed the 'show' .. the music itself though wasn't exactly impressive. The best heavy prog bands like Deep Purple  know how to use the Hammond to complement the guitar and vise versa... and especially the interplay between the two.   Bigelf's keyboard parts just seemed like they were pasted in..look how he used the mellotron... no feel in the grand scheme of the music.  Loved to watch them and enjoyed their 'show' ..   a mix of Alice Cooper and a 3rd rate Deep Purple knock-off. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 20:46
Well that seems a little harsh, and it may have been a function of the sound because at my show, the mellotron was almost inaudible. Though as you said, it didn't make a huge difference. I have one of their albums and as my review says, it's pure candy, but sometimes that's just what you're hungry for.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 11:26

Well that seems a little harsh, and it may have been a function of the sound because at my show, the mellotron was almost inaudible. Though as you said, it didn't make a huge difference. I have one of their albums and as my review says, it's pure candy, but sometimes that's just what you're hungry for.

I don't think it is harsh Jay...  we celebrate groups everyday on this site that are no more clones of other groups and whose only claim to being progressive... is the lack being progressive and sounding like everyone else.

I know what you are saying about ear-candy... I live for it myself. That is my personal taste.. but there is objective side to looking at it.

They did sound like a 3rd rate DP knock-off with a twist... and probably why I enjoyed them as I did... as opposed to what came later. They were interesting.. and put on a great show and were extremely charismatic. and  if you are going to knock off a group... make it an interesting one at least. From a musical standpoint, I posted the impression I had..  the compositions were grade school quality..  no interplay between the keys and guitar which is the broth that makes heavy prog so tastey.  I enjoyed it.. but would never mistake them as anything other than an entertaining live act to watch with a Newcastle in hand.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 19:56
^^ Just an interesting side note on Big Elf, we talked to a few of the members and they were really concerned with how they sounded.. they had to use ear devices instead of monitors so it was an entirely new thing for them..
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 17:40
interesting...  was that a just from your show David.. to be honest...  I didn't notice that they were or weren't using monitors at the show we saw. It might have explained the lack of interplay that overcritical comments were hitting on.  
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 22:55
Yeah, they said DT was making them use them LOL .. Way he said meant to me they had many more shows with them...
one_mad_dog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 14:22
San Jose:

I enjoyed Big Elf in a retro 70's sort of way.

Zappa was totally amazing and made the gig worthwhile.

I was very dissapointed with DT. I like their live stuff on DVD but in the flesh it was all a bit too much. It was very intense and tiring to listen too. A wall of noise with everyone trying to play louder than everyone else. A whole lot of muscial w**k*ng going on rather than melodic solos too. After 5 songs I had had enough and left before the encore.

Was I worn out by the musical intensity of Zappa or was it just an off night for DT?
hirszu View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 05:18
Today's the opening show for European PN in Finland! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>