Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaptain Beefheart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 03:23
Got into Beefheart pretty late. But by now I've gotten all his albums, except the two everyone seem to hate: Unconditionally Guaranteed + Bluejeans & Moonbeams. How bad are they, really? I don't mind if its catchier or more conventional, as long as his energy is intact. Should I give them a try?

So far I think all his albums are great, with a slight preferance for the 67-72 period.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 04:51
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Got into Beefheart pretty late. But by now I've gotten all his albums, except the two everyone seem to hate: Unconditionally Guaranteed + Bluejeans & Moonbeams. How bad are they, really? I don't mind if its catchier or more conventional, as long as his energy is intact. Should I give them a try

Of the two I only know Bluejeans and it's really not that great. It's not the mainstream sound that's the problem per se, but you can tell Beefheart's not into it so the whole thing's lackluster and pedestrian. Worth experiencing though, if only to satisfy your curiosity.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 19:03
Happy Birthday (and RIP)  to the Captain.  Credit to John Fugelsang.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 15 2013 at 19:04
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 19:04
I mainly listen to two albums - his debut and Mirror Man. I enjoy both but i haven't really gotten into other releases.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 19:16
I listened to Frank Zappa's "The Lost Episodes" earlier, an album which is second only to "Bongo Fury" for most Beefheart vocals on a FZ album.

RIP
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 20:50
Bongo Fury was my first Zappa album.  I got a copy of Doc At The Radar Station a few years later. (Making love to a vampire with a monkey on my kneee. LOL)  Trout Mask Replica, though revered by some around here kind of turned me off to exploring further.  I decided to take a chance on Safe As MIlk and like that one.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 18:54
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

(Making love to a vampire with a monkey on my kneee. LOL)

That particular track also appears on the album Songs In the Key Of Z: The Curious Universe Of Outsider Music.  (It's listed as "Vampire Suite" because it's preceded by a couple of scratch tracks that show how it developed.)  Beefheart was definitely an outsider, no question about it.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 05:55
Do you guys think that the lyrics in Beefheart's song "When I See Mommy, I Feel Like a Mummy" are controversial?
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 06:11
Considering that no more than a few thousand people in the world or so have ever heard the song and even fewer have ever taken explicit notice of the lyrics, I don't think there's much opportunity for controversy. I guess you could read sexism into the lyrics if you really wanted to, but you could do that with just about any song about sexual obsession.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:38
Does anyone here find the song to be offensive?
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 09:05
I don't. I think it's a mistake to read too much into Beefheart's lyrics in general. I expect he just noticed that "mommy" and "mummy" sounded similar and built the song up around that in his typical stream of consciousness way.

Edited by thellama73 - January 26 2013 at 09:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 03:51
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I don't. I think it's a mistake to read too much into Beefheart's lyrics in general. I expect he just noticed that "mommy" and "mummy" sounded similar and built the song up around that in his typical stream of consciousness way.

Now I think you're underselling him. Captain Beefheart did more than just string words together. Many of his lyrics, especially in later years, have a pretty straightforward message, even if it's delivered in obscure words. It's rather obvious - to me at least -  that "Mummy" is about a man's sexual obsession with a woman who shows no interest in him - in fact she doesn't even notice him ("her interest fades like breath on a mirror", what a great line). He barely catches a glimpse of her before she passes him by, and he wishes he could grab ahold of her (the metaphor he uses is wrapping her up like a mummy) just to get a good look at her. It's very much in the blues tradition of songwriting: Taking a sexual topic and dressing it in colorful metaphors.

I'm not denying that what sparked the song is that Beefheart noticed how similar those two words sound. In fact, that's probably exactly what happened. But that doesn't mean that the lyrics are only built around those two words and whatever else came into his mind at the moment, because they're not. "Bat Chain Puller" is stream of consciousness. "Bellerin' Plain" is stream of consciousness. In fact, most of Trout Mask Replica is stream of consciousness. But "Mummy" isn't, "My Head Is My Only House" isn't, "The Smithsonian Institute Blues" isn't, and many other songs of his aren't either.

In general, I think too much has been made of Captain Beefheart's strangeness, as if he were some kind of incomprehensible, erratic madman. He had his own logic, and I like him best whenever he makes that logic apparent to the listener. That's why my favorite albums of his are Lick My Decals Off, Baby and Shiny Beast, not Trout Mask Replica, which too often seems to be chaotic for its own sake. It's sad how many people have probably dismissed Beefheart because they only heard Trout Mask Replica. I almost fell into the same trap.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 10:22
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

In general, I think too much has been made of Captain Beefheart's strangeness, as if he were some kind of incomprehensible, erratic madman. He had his own logic, and I like him best whenever he makes that logic apparent to the listener. That's why my favorite albums of his are Lick My Decals Off, Baby and Shiny Beast, not Trout Mask Replica, which too often seems to be chaotic for its own sake. It's sad how many people have probably dismissed Beefheart because they only heard Trout Mask Replica. I almost fell into the same trap.

Actually, Trout Mask Replica isn't that chaotic. I'm not sure if this was a deliberate decision or not, but for an album as freaky as this, it frequently gives the listener moments to catch his or her breath, including "The Dust Blows Forward And The Dust Blows Back", "Ella Guru", "Hair Pie" (both bakes), "Moonlight On Vermont", "Paucho Cadaver", "China Pig", "Dali's Car", "Well", "Sugar 'N' Spikes", "She's Too Much For My Mirror", "The Blimp" (maybe), "Old Censored At Play" (not sure if I can say Censored) and "Veteran's Day Poppy". Nearly half the album. But maybe it's just me.

Oh, another thing - Is it me, or does the first few notes of "Dali's Car" sound similar to the main riff of King Crimson's "Red"?

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - January 29 2013 at 10:26
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 12:00
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Actually, Trout Mask Replica isn't that chaotic. I'm not sure if this was a deliberate decision or not, but for an album as freaky as this, it frequently gives the listener moments to catch his or her breath, including "The Dust Blows Forward And The Dust Blows Back", "Ella Guru", "Hair Pie" (both bakes), "Moonlight On Vermont", "Paucho Cadaver", "China Pig", "Dali's Car", "Well", "Sugar 'N' Spikes", "She's Too Much For My Mirror", "The Blimp" (maybe), "Old Censored At Play" (not sure if I can say Censored) and "Veteran's Day Poppy". Nearly half the album. But maybe it's just me.

Oh, another thing - Is it me, or does the first few notes of "Dali's Car" sound similar to the main riff of King Crimson's "Red"?
I mentioned in my review of Trout Mask Replica that one of the things that holds it back is the apparent attempt by Frank Zappa to turn it into a "freak show" kind of album like Wild Man Fischer's.  Beefheart and the band are brilliant in spite of this, but I still maintain that Trout Mask Replica has an unmistakeable sheen of "hey, here's something REALLY weird!" to it.    As a result, I argue, the public perception of Beefheart is as some incoherent madman, which is far from the case, as you both agree.   I still gave Trout four stars because it is a great album, but I gave five stars to "Doc at the Radar Station", which I feel is his most powerful and focused album.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 13:02
I don't want to give off the impression that I think Trout Mask Replica is all chaos and insanity. There are many logical, comprehensible and  - with a bit of adjustment - even memorable songs on the album, and I like it overall. But it makes it harder for the listener than any other Beefheart album. Lots of "field recordings", incomprehensible lyrics, odd vocal intonations (need I mention "Pena"?) and some of the most dissonant and incoherent guitar "interplay" the world has ever seen. The segments where the two guitars plus the bass guitar all play independently of each other are hard to swallow. Most Beefheart albums have some of this stuff , but not that much. I much prefer the two drums, one guitar setup on Decals or even two-guitar albums like Shiny Beast where the interplay is more conventional.

Also, I've always felt that it's frontloaded with some of its least accessible tracks. "Frownland" hardly has a semblance of a steady rhythm or a guitar riff, "Dust" is a cappella, "Dachau Blues" pairs disturbing lyrics with a nursery rhyme-like melody, "Ella Guru" is kind of catchy but has Don using a really odd voice, "Hair Pie: Bake 1" begins with two minutes of sax noises for no good reason. I would say "Moonlight on Vermont" is the first relatively normal song on the album, preceded by five of the most difficult ones. Pretty much all other Beefheart albums begin with comparatively straightforward and riff-oriented bluesy numbers.

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I mentioned in my review of Trout Mask Replica that one of the things that holds it back is the apparent attempt by Frank Zappa to turn it into a "freak show" kind of album like Wild Man Fischer's.

Oh yes, absolutely! When I go track by track, I find surprisingly little stuff on it that I outright dislike. But taken as a whole, it's such a giant, sprawling mess that I rarely find myself getting through the whole thing (or even one disc, although the second one is slightly less manic, so I have better chances there).

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I still gave Trout four stars because it is a great album, but I gave five stars to "Doc at the Radar Station", which I feel is his most powerful and focused album.

I don't know. Doc has some great songs, but there's some stuff in the middle that's uglier than anything he'd done since Trout Mask Replica. For instance, the two chord guitar part in "Sue Egypt" strikes me as one of the dumbest-sounding things Beefheart ever did, and the vocals in "Telephone" are just a step too far. I'd hand the crown to Decals, whose only flaw are the stupid saxophone loops he plastered all over "Japan in a Dishpan" and "Flash Gordon's Ape".
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 18:33

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Now I think you're underselling him. Captain Beefheart did more than just string words together. Many of his lyrics, especially in later years, have a pretty straightforward message, even if it's delivered in obscure words. It's rather obvious - to me at least -  that "Mummy" is about a man's sexual obsession with a woman who shows no interest in him - in fact she doesn't even notice him ("her interest fades like breath on a mirror", what a great line). He barely catches a glimpse of her before she passes him by, and he wishes he could grab ahold of her (the metaphor he uses is wrapping her up like a mummy) just to get a good look at her. It's very much in the blues tradition of songwriting: Taking a sexual topic and dressing it in colorful metaphors.

I'm not denying that what sparked the song is that Beefheart noticed how similar those two words sound. In fact, that's probably exactly what happened. But that doesn't mean that the lyrics are only built around those two words and whatever else came into his mind at the moment, because they're not. "Bat Chain Puller" is stream of consciousness. "Bellerin' Plain" is stream of consciousness. In fact, most of Trout Mask Replica is stream of consciousness. But "Mummy" isn't, "My Head Is My Only House" isn't, "The Smithsonian Institute Blues" isn't, and many other songs of his aren't either.

So "When I See Mommy, I Feel Like a Mummy" is about a woman unrelated to the main character of the song?
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 15:50
Searched for Beefheart, and found this thread.

On a TMR kick as of late. Always one of those artists that's stood out in ways that strike my "abstract expressionism" chord in all the right ways. What an amazing record and artist.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 16:48
Like Frank Zappa, I love bits of his work but always find it hard not to see something like TMR as some psychedelic, interesting artefact instead of a musical masterpiece. Zappa was a little more down-to-earth if you could put it that way - he had a more controlled eccentricity which can been seen as both "heritage" and classics. Basically, I never fully got into the Captain Beefheart ethos of playing, even though I understand it, but TMR sounds better to me with every listen.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 17:18
Coincidentally, I was just about to buy the "33 1/3" series audiobook about TMR. Can't wait to see what new insights I'll get into this crazy thing.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 17:41
Sometime last year I picked up Doc At the Radar Station.  Damn good record.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>