FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAudiophiles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 15:15
I've got a pionner CTF1000, which was Naka 1000's concurrent at the time and a Studer A710 professional deck (it beat yours)and i plain to upgrade to a Naka 1000zxl, which is actually the best ever.

Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 18:46

Sure, but with a turntable as good as the Pink Triangle, tapes are a last resort anyway.

Mind you, I have recorded off the PT on to my Pioneer using metal tapes and then played the two in synch, challenging people to 1) tell the difference 2) tell which is which. Most can just detect a tiny difference but they can't always say which is the tape!

You say in an earlier post that you are contemplating a Linn LP12 - for God's sake LISTEN before you buy. In the wrong system, they can sound truly foul.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 19:55

Edited by Karnevil9
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 03:29
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Sure, but with a turntable as good as the Pink Triangle, tapes are a last resort anyway.

Mind you, I have recorded off the PT on to my Pioneer using metal tapes and then played the two in synch, challenging people to 1) tell the difference 2) tell which is which. Most can just detect a tiny difference but they can't always say which is the tape!

You say in an earlier post that you are contemplating a Linn LP12 - for God's sake LISTEN before you buy. In the wrong system, they can sound truly foul.

On a good and neutral system, Linn LP12 will sound good.
Cause it's neutral and musical.
There's no "compensation" to do!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 03:30
btw, a source like naka1000 zxl go very far in terms of low, high and dynamic.
Much further than many turntables.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 18:40
Oliver, the one thing an LP12 is NOT is neutral. The Pink Triangle Anniversary is utterly neutral (which is why many American audiophiles hate it), the Roxsan Xerxes is fabulous too, the Nottingham Analogue Annalog just disappears and lets the music flow. LP 12s, even with endless upgrades, still sound very coloured even though some are atttracted to the rhythmical and dynamic sound. My old Systemdek IIX which I have in my second system sounds, to my ears, better than a friend's Linn with Valhalla upgrade. As for the Pink, well it murders the Linn. Linns can sound quite good if paired with Naim amps but I inherited a full Linn set up with Linn amps and Isobarik speakers and it was PANTS!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 01:56
What was your cartridge?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 09:42

Edited by Karnevil9
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 13:56
The kid is a pain cause he knows that:

-naka 1000(zxl) is a great source (and not much kids-and even old- know that today)that beat all cd players and many turntables too.
I also know that it works very very best than bad decks like Dragon and cr7e, that many people like you, ke9, believe to be excellent...

-That a good tube amp beats all transistor of the world in the highs, exept maybe monster double mono blocs Cello reference 2. That's why i keep on quoting Jolida amps, which is the greatest deal in hifi.

Etc...

About Linn LP12, i know that it's very musical, and that's a reference in affordable turntables with Rega Planar 3.
So what cartridge do you put on it?
Moving magnet or moving coil?
Which cables (power and modulation?)
Which vibration canceller system?
Let's talk about real gear!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 19:36

The cartridge in my LP12 was a Linn Karma in an Ittok arm. It was bought by my father in about 1985. I inherited it in 1992. At that time I had a Systemdek IIX with Mission 774 and Ortofon MC10 and Elite MCP555 cartridges going into a Nytech pre amp/tuner and Nytech power amp and finally to a pair of Tangent RS4 speakers. I still have this system as a spare. It was quite old but it still outperformed the Linn system comfortably to my ears so the Linn went. The new system is clearly better than my spare but not by that much considering the price difference.

I do not hold with the view that tube amps are that good except as room heaters. They are too warm and slow for my ears with a few exceptions. Audiolabs are so clean, neutral, fast and powerful and Naims are also excellent - both transistor models.

I generally like MCs better than MMs. I have no need of a vibration canceller as they are a fad - the acrylic platter on the PT Anniversary plus the excellent suspension and record clamp are highly effective and dampen vibration well enough on my Soundstyle table. Power cables are standard PT issue.

Finally, don't confuse rhythmical and dynamic with musical. The Linn is not musical in my view because instruments don't sound natural on it.

I like the Planar3 - my best friend has one and swears by it. For a fairly cheap deck, it's excellent value, as are the Project range. But it's not a patch on a PT Anniversary, SME, Nottingham Annalogue Hyperspace or a Roxsan Xerxes. All of these could lay claim to be best deck and I auditioned them all before choosing the Anniversary for myself.

I have not heard the Helius Orion arm myself but I have heard nothing but good reports on it so I suspect Karnevil9 will be very happy with his own Anniversary. Where in the UK are you? I e-mailed the PT's designer (Arthur Khoubesserian) recently and he tells me that he may put the Anniversary back into production and he's developed and upgrade for it. Interesting!!

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 20:09

Oliver:

time to post them pictures,mate.

It is the only way to end this!

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 20:13

Edited by Karnevil9
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 03:16
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

The cartridge in my LP12 was a Linn Karma in an Ittok arm. It was bought by my father in about 1985. I inherited it in 1992. At that time I had a Systemdek IIX with Mission 774 and Ortofon MC10 and Elite MCP555 cartridges going into a Nytech pre amp/tuner and Nytech power amp and finally to a pair of Tangent RS4 speakers. I still have this system as a spare. It was quite old but it still outperformed the Linn system comfortably to my ears so the Linn went. The new system is clearly better than my spare but not by that much considering the price difference.

I do not hold with the view that tube amps are that good except as room heaters. They are too warm and slow for my ears with a few exceptions. Audiolabs are so clean, neutral, fast and powerful and Naims are also excellent - both transistor models.

I generally like MCs better than MMs. I have no need of a vibration canceller as they are a fad - the acrylic platter on the PT Anniversary plus the excellent suspension and record clamp are highly effective and dampen vibration well enough on my Soundstyle table. Power cables are standard PT issue.

Finally, don't confuse rhythmical and dynamic with musical. The Linn is not musical in my view because instruments don't sound natural on it.

I like the Planar3 - my best friend has one and swears by it. For a fairly cheap deck, it's excellent value, as are the Project range. But it's not a patch on a PT Anniversary, SME, Nottingham Annalogue Hyperspace or a Roxsan Xerxes. All of these could lay claim to be best deck and I auditioned them all before choosing the Anniversary for myself.

I have not heard the Helius Orion arm myself but I have heard nothing but good reports on it so I suspect Karnevil9 will be very happy with his own Anniversary. Where in the UK are you? I e-mailed the PT's designer (Arthur Khoubesserian) recently and he tells me that he may put the Anniversary back into production and he's developed and upgrade for it. Interesting!!

Ok, so first, youdon't know nothing about tube amps if you think there are slow and not neutral.
You have never heard a Jolida or a Conrad Jonhson.
I repeat: it beats all transistors inthe world inthe Highs.
Ther's nothing to do.
Although, a steel triangle is needed below the tube amp,in order to have a quick "low".
You don't use vib cancellers...not good cables (links and power), i suppose you don'tuse power filters and separted dedicated lines..
So it's hard for you to judge something, cause your system lack of transparency!
BTW, Linn Karma is an excellent cartridge.
But it can't compensate the rest of your very average system (especially the amp, prepre, etc...)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 03:18
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Oliver:

time to post them pictures,mate.

It is the only way to end this!

Dear reed,

I'm afraid this would end nothing!
These guys pretend enormous bullsh*ts, and i keep on explaining them the basics!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 04:34
To ke9 and Fisher:

That’s not because you hea a bad Linn LP12 with bad cartridge or/and on a bad system that
Linn LP12 is bad.
That’s not because you have heard a bad tube amp one time that all are bad!!

Moreover, i’ve been to a sound convention in Paris two years ago.
On the Conrad Johnson showroom, they put an excellent Conrad amp (which i know to be better than my Jolida)directly on the floor like an old sock, with a bad source (Copland Cd player) and bad speakers (Fidelta). All without vib’ cancellers, good cables, filters, nothing!!

It was really inimpressive and that’s normal.

I know if i put this amp on my system, it will be extraordinary...cause it’s carefully optimized.

I’ve already said, but to have separated electric lines which go directly to your home electric counter, is ESSENTIAL to have dynamic. I use 4mm diamater electric cables for amps, sub, (every devices which need much power)and 2.5 mm diameter lines for sources, preamp, which need few power.
You can even use 6 mm diameter line if you have very big power amp.
You must use one line per device.
You must have good power cords and power filters (isolation transfos)

Direct lines give you dynamic, whereas good power cords and filters give you subtlity and remove harshness.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 05:51
"Finally, don't confuse rhythmical and dynamic with musical. The Linn is not musical in my view because instruments don't sound natural on it."

I think the Linn reveals the defaults of your system!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 06:04

Edited by Karnevil9
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 07:03
Why are you getting nervous?
can't we discuss quietly?

Sorry, i haven't a numeric photo device yet...

Soon, i promise!

And what do you want me to take a pic?
My system, incuding the Studer, and the Jolida with the new wbt on it?
Or my best friend's system, including the counterpoint sa5000 preamp, goldmund mimesis IV and naka 700zxl?

And you, btw, please take a pic of your naka 1000 zxl (i remember you pretend to have one) and your whole system.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:04

Oliver,

I have heard many tube amps (though admittedly not the ones you mention) and all have the same basic characteristics. It all comes down to which sound you like - transistor (like me) or tube (like you). There is no right or wrong - just preference.

You have not heard my system so how can you possibly say it's not transparent (it is, amazingly so) or that it's "average" (it is not). I can assure you that I have a degree in physics (St Andrews University - 1978, want a scan of the cert?) and have taught physics and electronics for 26 years so I understand the principles involved and I remain TOTALLY unconvinced that the fads such as separate power lines and vibration isolators make ANY difference to a system whatsoever and DEFINITELY not to a transistor amp.  2.5mm cable can carry all the current even the biggest domestic amp needs. Tubes may need slightly thicker cable because they draw higher currents due to the heating effect. There is a lot of bo****ks talked about this in audiophile mags.

And to say the Linn reveals the faults of my system - frankly the PT Anniversary wipes it off the face of the planet. And you've obviously never heard an Audiolab amp or the Mission 753s (all extremely critically acclaimed).

Perhaps you should do me the courtesy of not criticising my system without at least hearing it first. I have not passed comment on yours.

Oh, and a Copland CD player was one of the few I thought were OK when I auditioned! I've never seen a bad review of one, either. It appears that you and I simply have different tastes.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:34
You pretend to be a scientist, so how can you doubt of bad effects of vibrations on devices?
That's obvious that it works when you do the test.
Tubes, for example, are very subject to vibes.
That's why you have a huge improvement when you put a steel triangle under a tube amp.
Anyway, only listening can tell you if a theory is valid or not.
Tubes amp have higher distorsions rate than transistor ones but it's night and day in the highs when you compare to a transistor.
So, what does it means?
That distortion's rate is NOT the good criteria to judge musicality.
Thre's also a theory with pair/impair harmonics.
On the other hand, transistor are tighter and quicker in the low than tubes, that's why bi-amplification with good transistor in the low and tubes in the high is the best.

It's the same with cables: you can measure a very bad cable and an extraordinary cable: the results will be the same, but when you listen, ther's no comparison.

About Copland, that's not the worth CD ever, but there are a lot of british musical players in the same range of price that will work a lot better (Naim, Arcam, Creek, etc...).
This is just a really average source, compare to analog sources.

It's obvious that separated lines are better cause devices pollute themselves (electrically,i mean),
(the CD is the worth for that, that's why i use double if not triple power filter isolation, and have a huge improvment in term of loss of sharpness on CD.)
Moreover, devices like power amp need much power and a bigger diameter lowers the cable's resistivity.

Another phenomenon with power is that the sound is better the evening from about 11 PM, when much industries have stopped their day and so , don'tconsume power.
You hear that on a good tranparent system.
So, that's prove power's quality have an effect on sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>