Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Seen Triumvirat Live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 00:41
BTW Presdoug, I been searching for a Triumvirat VCR or DVD for decades, IMO one of the greatest Prog bands ever.

People compare them with ELP, but II believe Illusions and Spartacus are better than most ELP albums, except maybe Trilogy, their arrangements are far more elaborate and the piano skills of Jurgen Fritz are superb.

Iván

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:40
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

John posted this to his Facebook page last Friday:

"John Goodsall and Percy Jones, who wrote all but a few tunes by Brand X, have never been paid royalties for over 35 years of worldwide sales for the 1st 6 legally released Brand X albums or the subsequent 10 or more Brand X compilations. Only one company, Buckyball Records, an indie label has ever paid the 2 composers royalties."
Hey, cstack3, that looks like a beautiful bass guitar you're holding in your hands in your avatar.
  Is it a Rick? Anything special about where you got it, or who from, or anything like that?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:44
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

BTW Presdoug, I been searching for a Triumvirat VCR or DVD for decades, IMO one of the greatest Prog bands ever.

People compare them with ELP, but II believe Illusions and Spartacus are better than most ELP albums, except maybe Trilogy, their arrangements are far more elaborate and the piano skills of Jurgen Fritz are superb.

Iván
They will always be my very favorite band, Ivan, especially Illusions and Spartacus. Would love to have a video of some sort
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 18:32
There are some other Triumvirat live documents that i wanted to mention

Seems there are some other bootleg live recordings of note
         Oct. 12th, 1974 at the Palace Theatre, Providence, RI, USA and
          Nov. 1st, 1974 at the St. Bernard Cultural Center, Chalmette, LA, USA
          in both of these concerts, they were touring in support of Fleetwood Mac, and played pretty well all of the music from their Illusions On A Double Dimple album, the band at this time comprised of Jurgen Fritz, Hans Bathelt, and Helmut Koellen

Live in Germany -this concert taped from an FM radio broadcast in Germany in 1980

and also, some videos from German television
          one program featuring music from their album Pompeii with Barry Palmer on  vocals,
          and another video featuring the song Party Life from the Russian Roulette album

i have no idea if any of this stuff will be officially released, let's hope so!

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 17:49
 I recently found some info on Triumvirat live on the net which i wanted to share
         A couple of people who had seen them open for ELO on the US east coast in 1974 were remembering that they had a quite ahead of it's time light show technology.
              Things like a "robot droid" holding fresnel lights, spinning mirror spots, etc.
           And each tom of the drums had a sensor for a spot underneath the acrylic/clear floor of the drum riser
             And a rotating stage for the drum solo.
          And were talking as far back as 1974 for all of this!Thumbs Up

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 18:24
As some of you may already know, recently there has been released a 3 DVD set of live concerts that were part of the ABC In Concert series from 1973 and 1974.

I had been told previously by the show's host Don E. Branker that all the videos were thrown out, and that there would be no DVDs in the future, but then this new DVD set

Well, possibly Triumvirat's show from January 1975 could surface on DVD in the future-if shows from 73 and 74 have, well why not 75?
                    Triumvirat fans keep your eyes and ears open!Thumbs Up
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 13:19
Last week, for the first time, i saw the performances from the "St. Louis Progressive Keyboard Extravaganza" taped in St. Louis, Missouri, USA at the Centenary Church, June 5, 1999, and the Off Broadway Night Club, June 7, 1999, from a set of the original limited edition VHS cassettes made at the time, and offered for sale initially by the Triumvirat.net site.
                   The groups Alaska and the Par Lindh Project are there, as well as former Triumvirat singer Barry Palmer, who flew over from England.
                  First time i hear either Alaska or the Par Lindh Project, and was very impressed on both accounts with their own music, real classical rock.
                        Also some early ELP was played, Alaska doing Hoedown, and a partial Tarkus suite, and Par Lindh Project doing Jerusalem and Rondo.
                The most special part of these concerts was with Barry Palmer, who did some Triumvirat backed by Alaska and at times Par Lindh (also some of Palmer's own musicians)-I Believe from Old Loves Die Hard, and Spartacus and The Deadly Dream of Freedom from the Spartacus album. Though Barry was wrestling with a sore throat at the time, he did his very best, and was really polite and nice on stage. And before singing Spartacus, he said "God bless you, Helmut" which i thought was really cool. He made other references to Helmut Koellen, saying  "he felt him giving us a good vibe".
                  Palmer also does some songs that were to be put on a solo album of his, and a single. "Dear John" -a "letter to John Lennon", Night Thoughts, Ghost of a Love, and Miracle Tonight. These songs are featured on Barry Palmer's new solo album "Night Thoughts" just released this fall.

Edited by presdoug - November 12 2012 at 15:18
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 09:56

You are a lucky man Doug! Glad you enjoyed your Triumvirat nostalgia fest.

PLP are one of my favourite keyboard based bands. Par Lindh certainly knows his stuff.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 10:01
I remember seeing both Par Lindh and Alaska at a prog festival around that same time.  They played the ELP covers then, too.  I remember "Rondo" very well.  Good times.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 15:23
^thanks, guys, yeah, i'm lucky to have this, a member of progressiveears was getting rid of his VHS cassettes, and i was on the recieving end.
                 I read in some reviews of the concerts that the Triumvirat song "Waterfall" was done, but no sign of it on the tapes. Oh, well, 90% of such a rare thing as the St. Louis concerts is quite good, anyhow!Thumbs Up
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 15:31
I read last week on Barry Palmer's site that when Pompeii was released in 1977, at that time, producer and keyboardist Juergen Fritz was against touring in support of the album. This was frustrating, as Barry recounts, and he never really understood why Fritz wouldn't. Posters of Pompeii's album cover were all over America at the time, but no American tour. Pompeii bombed in America.
                     A while later, though, the album and it's single The Hymn did well in Germany, and there was some touring over there.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 17:36
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Well, well, well!
         For the first time in my life, on the net tonight, i saw a direct reference to a concert with Triumvirat in Canada.
 (I started a thread on Triumvirat in Canada, but it has been closed)
           The reference mentions Supertramp and Triumvirat -Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, Canada for Tues. Aug. 5th, 1975.
              It does not mention who led in for who, and whether this concert actually did take place for certain.
        Anybody out there actually see the show?

Triumvirat in Canada was a reality. I checked the above reference recently, and someone signed up as having been to this Calgary concert so long ago. Makes me wonder if there were any other Canadian dates.

Edited by presdoug - February 01 2013 at 17:38
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 10:59
Another Triumvirat video has surfaced on youtube recently.
It is when the band were referred to as New Triumvirat, and it is a performance of Dance On The Volcano from Pompeii, and is from 1978. This was taped at the same show that included ELP doing their video Tiger In A Spotlight with the tiger present, and their Fanfare.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 13:37
Found some stuff, although you probably know it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H329S-ORQ_M&playnext=1&list=PL208580FBE4751AA2&feature=results_main
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beo0faJj83A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkxIb0IxNzE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfTn1pT6CT8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMerhgtoEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H329S-ORQ_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B0uEU5D_Og
spotone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 07:37

Actually, yes. I saw them live quite a few times on the Spartacus (1975?) tour. I can confirm the show happened at Calgary with Supertramp. Also that the earlier (east coast ) show dates were with ELO. I believe the first show after ELO was after we crossed the Mississippi and was at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in St.Louis.

I was one of the two-man lighting crew that traveled with Triumvrat for that tour. The lighting effects mentioned here and elsewhere were pretty innovative for "back in the day". We would frequently have an explosion and small fire on top of Jurgen's grand piano to finish the set.  Fun., but a lot of hard work.

John
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 07:47
Greetings, John, and welcome to the Prog Archives Forums!
           Thanks so much for your interesting information. Do you recall if there were any other Canadian dates apart from Calgary?

Edited by presdoug - February 27 2014 at 09:27
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 17:26
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

It is when the band were referred to as New Triumvirat, and it is a performance of Dance On The Volcano from Pompeii, and is from 1978. This was taped at the same show that included ELP doing their video Tiger In A Spotlight with the tiger present, and their Fanfare.

Edited by presdoug - May 22 2014 at 17:35
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 21:05
^Doug, I really admire your persistence!!  You are the best Triumvirat fan, ever!  They would have loved knowing you!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 21:32
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

^Doug, I really admire your persistence!!  You are the best Triumvirat fan, ever!  They would have loved knowing you!
hey, Chuck, thanks so much.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 18:42
{ "Originally posted by presdoug
It is when the band were referred to as New Triumvirat, and it is a performance of Dance On The Volcano from Pompeii, and is from 1978. This was taped at the same show that included ELP doing their video Tiger In A Spotlight with the tiger present, and their Fanfare."}

Thanks for that link - another GENUINE and BRILLIANT Triumvirat performance of one of my all time fave Pompeii tracks.

Edited by Rick Robson - May 23 2014 at 18:45

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>