Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMultilingual Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 05:18
I am against multilingual PA. I say that, although my native language is German, and I have not contributed to reviews, yet, because it takes me so much time to write it in a foreign language. So I understand your point. Still I am against it. Why? I see this site as a means to exchange thoughts and to communicate with each other. If several languages were allowed, I see the danger of "segregation": the Spanish group, the German group etc., where the people communicate inside the groups but do not know what is going on in the other. (I mean both in reviews and in the forum.) This would be a pity.

So I use this site further to improve my English. Big smile

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 11:59

Excellent post, Formentera Lady. Excellent !! 

You are spot on. 

Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 15:04
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I don't understand the need for language restrictions on reviews these days. Why must we force our foreign visitors to cobble together a review in a second or third language or, worse still, feed the thing through an online translation tool? There's nothing worse than trying to read a review written by someone who clearly doesn't have the means to properly express themselves in English - they might as well have not bothered. Whereas, if that reviewer were allowed the freedom to write in their native language the site would be rendered more inclusive and the pages wouldn't be quite so riddled with poorly written reviews. Everybody wins!
Clap This
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 15:55
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

I am against multilingual PA. I say that, although my native language is German, and I have not contributed to reviews, yet, because it takes me so much time to write it in a foreign language. So I understand your point. Still I am against it. Why? I see this site as a means to exchange thoughts and to communicate with each other. If several languages were allowed, I see the danger of "segregation": the Spanish group, the German group etc., where the people communicate inside the groups but do not know what is going on in the other. (I mean both in reviews and in the forum.) This would be a pity.

i agree with this, along with other negative effects that this would have on the site/forum.

nay, for me
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 15:59

Cool

Edited by Rivertree - January 21 2011 at 16:00

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 17:52

Clap
Me too, but not enough yet. CryLOL
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 19:20
Segregation? the only segregation here is the people who can make reviews in his lenguage and people who dont , also in the first post i didnt propose a site/forum multilingual , i just want to make reviews multilingual , its terrible that not everybody can put his thoughts on the great prog database of here

Did you know that from the visitors of progarchives.com

Mexico 6.5% come from Mexico
Italy 4.8% come from Italy
Brazil 4.7% come from Brazil
Russian Federation 4.4% come from Russia ?

petrica View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 12:23
Originally posted by Xanatos Xanatos wrote:

Segregation? the only segregation here is the people who can make reviews in his lenguage and people who dont , also in the first post i didnt propose a site/forum multilingual , i just want to make reviews multilingual , its terrible that not everybody can put his thoughts on the great prog database of here

Did you know that from the visitors of progarchives.com

Mexico 6.5% come from Mexico
Italy 4.8% come from Italy
Brazil 4.7% come from Brazil
Russian Federation 4.4% come from Russia ?

I'm from Romania and I will probably want beside Spanish or Italian also Romanian. And this is just an example. Like me there are lots of prog fans from lots of different
countries and they will probably want to be able to express themselves more naturally. What will be the benefit of having a small
numbers of reviews in Romanian for the world wide prog community?
Don't misunderstand me I understand your point and I agree that non-English speakers are in a kind of
disadvantage. In the future I hope this language barrier
will disappear. I don't care if we have to use Kobaļan or any other existing or artificially created language.
Internet will probably have a major impact on this.
Beside this, for me, reading the reviews, sometime writing one, it's a great opportunity to exercise my English language skills.
There is always a price being paid for generalization, for switching from particular to general but I think the benefit
counteracts the loss.

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 07:40
I am one among more than 450 000 000 native Slavic speakers worldwide, but I would not like to see multilingual reviews here; it's an English-speaking site and I prefer it to stay that way.

The only other language I wouldn't mind to see on ProgArchives is French (even if I don't speak it); it's an official and native language of ProgArchive's founders.

Before 2005, my knowledge of English was on 'Me Tarzan, you Jane' level. I moved abroad and started improving my spoken English, but I started improving my writing skills only after summer of 2006, when I discovered this website and started writing reviews. Today I'm (hopefully) able to express deeper,abstract concepts in written form - and it's entirely ProgArchives' merit. (and I mean it; even if I used other English sources, from books to other web pages, it's ProgArchives who started the avalanche.)

What I want to say is: whether you like it or not, the English is today's lingua franca. If you don't use it properly, it's certainly useful to learn/improve it. No other language can be substituted in it's worldwide role. The non-English prog communities (both musicians and fans) are growing worldwide, and that's great, but Anglo-Saxon superpowers (UK, USA) are still epicentres of prog community and they will most likely remain so in forthcoming years.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 20:59
Hi,

I'm ok with the English.

Would love to see a few improvements here and there, but that is my preference, and not anything else.

In general, getting into the multi-lingual thing is a dead end and horrible. And I have seen translations that are so bad that I wanted to do my own ... including my father's own well known poetry, one play of which I directed went through three translations, and my older sister's was the worst of them all!

It's an absolute dead end.

But it does mean that many of us that are not American, or English, have to be slower and more dedicated to saying something, but it is a sure thing that Snow Dog or someone else are going to catch your error in the language. It's a wonder he doesn't teach English in the local Salvation Army! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123