Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy don't most people love our beloved music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 01:35
Not much to add to what has been already said other than it's an acquired taste.  Well worth acquiring but as with all acquired tastes, not everyone will acquire it.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 01:53
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by tarkus1980 tarkus1980 wrote:

While I generally don't care for the "prog is great, pop sucks" mentality, I'll bite.  Most people who claim to like music don't actually like to listen to music.  They like music that functions as light background while they socialize or work or run.  It's just one of those things.

I'm not sure about most, but I can certainly agree with this for many. The problem is when people think there's something wrong with this and the music they listen to. "Serious music fans" like pop music too. 

Depends, are you talking about "pop music" as in, music that is popular (on the charts?), or "pop music", the genre? I think pop music the genre is much more interesting than a lot of people think, but pop music the charts mostly in a desolate hell-hole. I think a lot of serious music fans probably listen to pop the genre. 

I think the biggest problem is the "not real music fans" thing. I think a lot of people do shun things because they're different, or even just because they're obscure. I don't think it's because they "can't digest it" musically though. 

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 02:05
All music is terrible. Why do we care if someone doesn't listen to our terrible music?
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 03:33
I couldn't care a less if people don't like prog as I'm sure people couldn't care a less if I don't like rap. Who really gives a s***.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 04:13
Originally posted by hobocamp hobocamp wrote:

Are you kidding? If you read the reviews and spend any time in the forums you'll realize we don't even like our music.

LOL Clap
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 07:08
I don't like people forcing their music on me - even if it's "good" music. I have a friend who loves Dylan, but if I'm not in one of my periodic Dylan "phases"(which comes 'round every few years or so), I'm just not into what he's playing for me.

There are many different ways of listening to music. Rap and hip-hop do different things, and of course, as Ellington said it, and I paraphrase, either you get it, or you don't. "There's some people that, if they don't know, you can't tell them." I am sure if Sir Duke was alive today, he'd be digging rap.

All of this is to say, you don't help your cause by lambasting other forms of music. Rap and electro, like all other forms of music, can be cutting-edge and ingenious, or it can be mediocre, and anywhere in between.
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 08:43

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

My dad literally fell asleep halfway through listening to my first album.  Ouch

This is the first valid complaint in the thread.
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think your comment first of all has a disrespectful tone, so I don't see why your co workers should have respected your music.  

The problem is when people think there's something wrong with this and the music they listen to. "Serious music fans" like pop music too. 
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

My feelings reside with Henry's here. Why do people think prog is superior to pop?

You aren't right or wrong in thinking the way you do. But what you do believe betrays a severe lack of comprehension regarding psychology, sociology, blahblahblah, etc. etc. 
Originally posted by Mosis Mosis wrote:

probably because of arrogant, condescending fans like the op

prog music is just music. it doesn't make you smarter for liking it, nor does liking pop make you dumber.

It seems that many misses the point of the first post. The way I see it, the point was not to say that "pop, or rap music sucks". He explained a situation were someone told him that the music he played sucks.

You can be more or less offended by such a remark, especially if you're listening to some artist you have been a fan of for many years.

By the reasoning of some of the posters in this thread (quoted above) it seems perfectly okay for people to say that prog sucks, and openly ridicule it, but it's not okay for a prog-fan to have some negative opinions about mainstream music - for example, saying that "this song sounds like a million other songs" would be veeeeery offending to the mainstream audience. What's up with that?

Why do people have to care about the same music you do? 

Why would anyone not want to share his music experiences with other people, why would he want to listen only for himself ?

Music has no inherent meaning, all arrangements of sound are equally bad or good. 
..............welll that's an interesting, very personal opinion.

I think it doesn't have to do with "prog". I'm by the way not a "prog fan", and the issue for me is not "defending prog". The thing is that anything outside mainstream, or music reflecting the current times , will often be questioned. You don't have to play "prog" , you just have to play something "different". The other day I was listening to baltic folk radio. If I'd played it in a public place, of course it would have gotten some remarks, like "this is absurd" or something. And that can be understandable, it can be very odd, I'm not used to a lot of that stuff myself. It's about the way we deal with foreign sounds we aren't accustomed to.

And mainstream music, because it is played everywhere in different places or situations, everyone is accustomed to it. Hearing a new song with mainstream characteristics won't make anyone startled, because they recognize all it's traits, so it's "safe".

The unfortunate thing is how little room there is for alternative sounds in open, public places. It's as if it's forbidden, and when you play something, for instance "prog", it's like you break a golden rule. No such music in public places!
Is that good or bad? What is the topic here, is it that pop music sucks!? Read the name of the thread?
Garden of Dreams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 09:27
A lot of people do not understand nor want to understand the music complexities in prog.  Not to say that is a bad thing necessarily, its just musical taste.  I found prog because of my discontent with metal and wanted music that had more meaning to me.  It is very easily the same with other people and other music.  Also, some people just like music as background so whatever music is playing is unimportant. Again, there is nothing wrong with that.  I like the fact that prog isn't mainstream.  It might lose its magic if it was mainstream.  But it might not.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 09:29
Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

My dad literally fell asleep halfway through listening to my first album.  Ouch

This is the first valid complaint in the thread.

I think your comment first of all has a disrespectful tone, so I don't see why your co workers should have respected your music.  

The problem is when people think there's something wrong with this and the music they listen to. "Serious music fans" like pop music too. 

My feelings reside with Henry's here. Why do people think prog is superior to pop?

You aren't right or wrong in thinking the way you do. But what you do believe betrays a severe lack of comprehension regarding psychology, sociology, blahblahblah, etc. etc. 
Originally posted by Mosis Mosis wrote:

probably because of arrogant, condescending fans like the op

prog music is just music. it doesn't make you smarter for liking it, nor does liking pop make you dumber.

It seems that many misses the point of the first post. The way I see it, the point was not to say that "pop, or rap music sucks". He explained a situation were someone told him that the music he played sucks.

You can be more or less offended by such a remark, especially if you're listening to some artist you have been a fan of for many years.

By the reasoning of some of the posters in this thread (quoted above) it seems perfectly okay for people to say that prog sucks, and openly ridicule it, but it's not okay for a prog-fan to have some negative opinions about mainstream music - for example, saying that "this song sounds like a million other songs" would be veeeeery offending to the mainstream audience. What's up with that?

Why do people have to care about the same music you do? 

Why would anyone not want to share his music experiences with other people, why would he want to listen only for himself ?

Music has no inherent meaning, all arrangements of sound are equally bad or good. 
..............welll that's an interesting, very personal opinion.

I think it doesn't have to do with "prog". I'm by the way not a "prog fan", and the issue for me is not "defending prog". The thing is that anything outside mainstream, or music reflecting the current times , will often be questioned. You don't have to play "prog" , you just have to play something "different". The other day I was listening to baltic folk radio. If I'd played it in a public place, of course it would have gotten some remarks, like "this is absurd" or something. And that can be understandable, it can be very odd, I'm not used to a lot of that stuff myself. It's about the way we deal with foreign sounds we aren't accustomed to.

And mainstream music, because it is played everywhere in different places or situations, everyone is accustomed to it. Hearing a new song with mainstream characteristics won't make anyone startled, because they recognize all it's traits, so it's "safe".

The unfortunate thing is how little room there is for alternative sounds in open, public places. It's as if it's forbidden, and when you play something, for instance "prog", it's like you break a golden rule. No such music in public places!
Is that good or bad? What is the topic here, is it that pop music sucks!? Read the name of the thread?

But what Henry said wasn't a personal opinion. Music truly has absolutely no intrinsic worth. What he's saying is that only we humans subjectively appreciate music. It doesn't affect stones and twigs in that manner. Thinking one form of music is superior to another is completely a self-delusion, and a work of subjective, circumstantial feelings. He wasn't saying he doesn't like or dislike any music. Of course he has feelings as do we all. He wasn't transferring his chemical reactions into an opinion at that time. You simply cannot scientifically prove one band or genre is superior to any other. Once you're able to quantify and correlate 'goodness', I'll be on board.

Personally, I detest Rush as much as I adore Jethro Tull. I detest Lady Ga Ga as much as I adore Electric Light Orchestra. I'm here because I like to argue with folks.
DarHobo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 09:57
Wilmon 91 is right.  I think some posting in this thread are saying I feel progressive rock is superior as a music genre to pop/rap?  No... I was just explaining a specific instance that made me question why many people (usually the type that listen to pop/rap) do not like prog.  I just wanted to hear other members experiences and inputs with this.

Overall, from good responses in this thread, i've gathered progressive music is very much an acquired taste, doesn't sound 'safe' and familiar, so is inherently "strange" and offputting for many people.  AKA  Music best to be played when the objective is to really focus on what is going on- not as background music or "doing things music" .  I understand people like different forms of music for different reasons, and there is nothing wrong with pop, I love 80's synth pop and new wave just as I love prog so don't think I am bashing here, its just an observation.
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 10:10

But what Henry said wasn't a personal opinion. Music truly has absolutely no intrinsic worth. What he's saying is that only we humans subjectively appreciate music. It doesn't affect stones and twigs in that manner.

I totally disagree - then it doesn't matter what you do. If you randomly hit notes on the piano, and the guitarist does the same, and everything is out of tune, and the vocalist doesn't even try to sing with feeling or with any effort. How would that sound? Bad? If music has no intrinsic worth, how can you say it's bad?

"all arrangements of sound are equally bad or good" - that's what Henry was saying. The way its stated is absurd to me. Saying "Everything is subjective" is another thing - but I wouldn't agree with that either. It's an oversimplification of a subject which is very philosophically challenging.

Thinking one form of music is superior to another is completely a self-delusion, and a work of subjective, circumstantial feelings.

Yeah. Comparing the qualities of entire forms of music is very generalizing. It's easier to say that "I like this song more than that song".

You simply cannot scientifically prove one band or genre is superior to any other. Once you're able to quantify and correlate 'goodness', I'll be on board.

I don't know why anyone would even want to do that. That's just dull . Regarding peoples opinions though, nothing is carved in stone. I take that into account. When someone listens to something contemporary, I may suspect that this person won't likely listen to that music a few years from that point. If the whole point is to "stay current", then the music itself is not all that matters

However, I don't see were the original poster says that prog is better than pop. It simply wasn't the topic as far as I know.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 10:47

What his true feelings for pop, rap are seem to be borne out of what he felt like saying apparently to that guy, but didn't.  And I would absolutely tell somebody who tried to make me listen to a dull, by the numbers pop song that sorry, this sounded boring to me and I am not interested. It does not bother me in the least if they call me elitist or whatever. Music fans are constantly caught in launching into character assassinations simply because someone doesn't like their favourite music (oh, the shock, the horror!) and I can't be bothered, really.  Now, bear in mind that to say that a particular pop song is dull is not the same thing as saying all pop music sucks and people who listen to it are not endowed with the superior intelligence that the Lord Almighty bestowed to prog heads. If somebody gets all butthurt about even saying that I called the song they wanted me to listen to boring, sorry, that can't be helped. It's just my opinion and you asked for it by making me listen to it.  If your feelings about your favourite songs are so precious and fragile, don't subject yourself to further torture by sharing it with many people which will lead to more heartburn. 

Uh, I don't know, excessive fragmentation of Western music has made listeners too judgmental and close minded about music as such. So I wouldn't readily engage in a conversation about music unless I sense that there's some common ground between me and the other person. Now because I do like good 'non-prog' music, I find it more fruitful to talk about THAT to others without getting into the subject of prog and possibly letting sparks fly.  

It took me a good deal of time to realize that syncopation in rap is a lot of fun when you come to think of it.  I still don't find it interesting for my taste because I want melody to move and things per se to develop quickly and good rhythms are ok for a while, no more.  Maybe I will find something to like in rap too in future, but that's not relevant here. In hindsight, I think the stereotypes defined rap in my eyes and I did not cut it some slack when I should have.  If it took me a long time to develop a more judicious perspective of rap, I would not be surprised that people who listen mainly to mainstream pop/rock music would buy into the stereotypes of prog and be dismissive of it. Whether or not it is objectively justified is beside the point, it is just human tendency.  

Don't talk about prog to someone you don't know is a proghead or who you don't think will like it, as simple.  I don't drink and if somebody forced a glass of beer down my throat (as opposed to persuasion or cajoling, which is understandable), I would feel very offended.  Playing music that is not universally liked such that others can hear is similar to that, imo. You are forcing your tastes on somebody else's ears then, so don't expect a warm response unless, by a sheer miracle, you happen to stumble on a prog listener. 

Edited by rogerthat - May 16 2011 at 10:53
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 10:52
I think it's the elves & sh*t. Yeah the elves & sh*t. Also the wizards, dragons and magic kingdoms. Scares the living crap out of normal people.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:01

But what Henry said wasn't a personal opinion. Music truly has absolutely no intrinsic worth. What he's saying is that only we humans subjectively appreciate music. It doesn't affect stones and twigs in that manner.

I totally disagree - then it doesn't matter what you do. If you randomly hit notes on the piano, and the guitarist does the same, and everything is out of tune, and the vocalist doesn't even try to sing with feeling or with any effort. How would that sound? Bad? If music has no intrinsic worth, how can you say it's bad?

"all arrangements of sound are equally bad or good" - that's what Henry was saying. The way its stated is absurd to me. Saying "Everything is subjective" is another thing - but I wouldn't agree with that either. It's an oversimplification of a subject which is very philosophically challenging.

Thinking one form of music is superior to another is completely a self-delusion, and a work of subjective, circumstantial feelings.

Yeah. Comparing the qualities of entire forms of music is very generalizing. It's easier to say that "I like this song more than that song".

You simply cannot scientifically prove one band or genre is superior to any other. Once you're able to quantify and correlate 'goodness', I'll be on board.

I don't know why anyone would even want to do that. That's just dull . Regarding peoples opinions though, nothing is carved in stone. I take that into account. When someone listens to something contemporary, I may suspect that this person won't likely listen to that music a few years from that point. If the whole point is to "stay current", then the music itself is not all that matters

However, I don't see were the original poster says that prog is better than pop. It simply wasn't the topic as far as I know.

Again, music has no universal value. If it did, rocks, trees, chimpanzees, and aquatic life forms would be lined up to go see the next Rihanna concert, but they aren't. We humans are the only ones to do what we with art on this floating orb. It is a biased perspective. How can you scientifically prove that the music produced by a toddler wailing on a toy piano is 'bad'? Can you do this with charts, graphs, and infallible data? If we cannot prove inherent goodness or badness, then how can music be universally measurable? If one song is not better than any other song, then the song has no objective worth. When he said 'no universal worth', he wasn't saying music is worthless. He was saying that it can never be bad or good, it only exists. Gee, I thought this concept was easier to comprehend than this. Tongue
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:01
I am quite familiar, to say the least, with backpedalling on the net but I don't dislike it any less for it. So, I am going to reproduce a portion of the opening post which, I am sorry, sets the tone of further discussion on the topic.  Is it just an honest question about why a lot of people don't like prog? I don't think so, not if you read the below in conjunction with the words "our beloved music".

Originally posted by DarHobo DarHobo wrote:

Many people I know simply say prog "sounds bad" but in reality, those same people have no understanding of music, composition, techniques, and performance.  Its the same people who listen to and praise the generic mainstream super corporate pop/rap stars who diss prog, yet as I get older I realize sadly this is a large percentage of people.

Oh well, all in all I'm just glad there is a forum here of like minded individuals here who appreciate music as an art form, and not as a fashion trend or disposable market product!

I am really sorry we prog heads let you down but we are NOT a brotherhood. We just happen to listen to a lot of diverse music that is lumped in one basket for some reason.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:09

How can you scientifically prove that the music produced by a toddler wailing on a toy piano is 'bad'? Can you do this with charts, graphs, and infallible data? If we cannot prove inherent goodness or badness, then how can music be universally measurable?

That's pretty simple. Simply banging keys on a supposed musical instrument without making a tune in rhythm is not music, it's just a bunch of sounds (ergo, the question of good or bad does not arise!).  We cannot go so far as to even tamper with the bare basic tenets of music under the pretext of upholding subjectivity.  I am, by the way, distinguishing between what is atonal or dissonant and what is plainly un-musical and that difference exists objectively, it is NOT the figment of my imagination.  I am not a musicologist so how it can be established is music or not is not for me to answer (I don't believe that that necessarily means there is no distinction between music and all sounds per se).  

By the way, chimps also don't drive cars or construct buildings to live in or work at.  Humans are different from other living creatures in many ways, so they do perceive things that those do not.  And that is not a subjective perception. Perceiving music as opposed to the sound of a truck engine is real (and please don't give me an example of how the sound of a vehicle was woven into music because that's not my point at all) and objective. What resides in the realm of our subjective perception is how much we like the music.   

Edited by rogerthat - May 16 2011 at 11:13
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:17

How can you scientifically prove that the music produced by a toddler wailing on a toy piano is 'bad'? Can you do this with charts, graphs, and infallible data? If we cannot prove inherent goodness or badness, then how can music be universally measurable?

That's pretty simple. Simply banging keys on a supposed musical instrument without making a tune in rhythm is not music, it's just a bunch of sounds.  We cannot go so far as to even tamper with the bare basic tenets of music under the pretext of upholding subjectivity.  I am, by the way, distinguishing between what is atonal or dissonant and what is plainly un-musical and that difference exists objectively, it is NOT the figment of my imagination.  I am not a musicologist so how it can be established is music or not is not for me to answer (I don't believe that that necessarily means there is no distinction between music and all sounds per se).  

By the way, chimps also don't drive cars or construct buildings to live in or work at.  Humans are different from other living creatures in many ways, so they do perceive things that those do not.  And that is not a subjective perception. Perceiving music as opposed to the sound of a truck engine is real (and please don't give me an example of how the sound of a vehicle was woven into music because that's not my point at all) and objective. What resides in the realm of our subjective perception is how much we like the music.   

My question wasn't whether or not the toy piano banging was music, but whether or not it was universally 'bad'. I don't care if it's music or not. It's sound. Some could appreciate these sounds. Ever heard of Aleatoric music? It's music crafted by chance. My question was, how could you intrinsically prove the wailing's inferiority.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:22

My question wasn't whether or not the toy piano banging was music, but whether or not it was universally 'bad'. I don't care if it's music or not. It's sound. Some could appreciate these sounds. Ever heard of Aleatoric music? It's music crafted by chance. My question was, how could you intrinsically prove the wailing's inferiority.

But that distorts the very question at hand. If it is not even music, the question of whether it is inferior or not does not have to be answered. If a kid were able to flawlessly play totally crappy stuff, I could not call it objectively bad music (though I will continue to say it is crappy In My Opinion Tongue) but a kid not making music at all and simply hitting keys on the piano is not music. And I did not say sound per se cannot be appreciated. I loved the chance of hearing a lion's roar when, as a child, I would go to the zoo. Majestic and fearsome, but not music.  All sounds I appreciate are not music. Music necessarily has to be in melody and rhythm.  We have stretched the boundaries of melody really far by now but it's still melody, it still fits into a pattern (even if it may appear to be random on a superficial reading), that is non negotiable. If the toddler by sheer accident hit a melodic sequence, I would identify that alone as music, no problem.  But that's the starting point of any discussion - it must be music in the first place. 

Edited by rogerthat - May 16 2011 at 11:24
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:31

But that distorts the very question at hand. If it is not even music, the question of whether it is inferior or not does not have to be answered. If a kid were able to flawlessly play totally crappy stuff, I could not call it objectively bad music (though I will continue to say it is crappy In My Opinion Tongue) but a kid not making music at all and simply hitting keys on the piano is not music. And I did not say sound per se cannot be appreciated. I loved the chance of hearing a lion's roar when, as a child, I would go to the zoo. Majestic and fearsome, but not music.  All sounds I appreciate are not music. Music necessarily has to be in melody and rhythm.  We have stretched the boundaries of melody really far by now but it's still melody, it still fits into a pattern (even if it may appear to be random on a superficial reading), that is non negotiable. If the toddler by sheer accident hit a melodic sequence, I would identify that alone as music, no problem.  But that's the starting point of any discussion - it must be music in the first place. 

Again, aleatoric music allows for purely randomized and 'patternless' 'music'. It is a human definition at any rate. Do we humans invent the universe?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:33

Again, aleatoric music allows for purely randomized and 'patternless' 'music'. It is a human definition at any rate. Do we humans invent the universe?

Would still have to listen to it to comment on it, because I don't know much about this concept. That is, I am not questioning its being music, rather, there must be a good reason why it is called music. Because, no, nobody calls it music when my father wants to be a child again and raises a proper racket with that flute, making absolutely no sense whatsoever and not intending to either. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>