Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 17:22
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Magma of course.  Could just about pick any 5 of their albums but I will pick these as my masterpieces:
-Magma aka Kobaia
-1001 Centigrades
-Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
-Kohntarkosz
-Attahk

Art Zoyd's first five albums sound like masterpieces to me.

Can:
-Monster Movie
-Tago Mago
-Ege Bamyasi
-Future Days
-Soon Over Babaluma

King Crimson (haters etc)
-In the Court
-Lizard
-Islands
-Lark's Tongues
-Starless and Bible Black

Pink Floyd (see above)
-Saucerful of Secrets
-Ummagumma
-Atom Heart Mother
-Meddle
-Obscured By Clouds

edit: Oh and TD's first 7 are masterpieces, of course

Jethro Tull, Isis, Neurosis, Primus, Boris (f**k y'all they so prog), Swans (likewise), Agalloch (if you count EPs), Opeth, and Kayo Dot also come to mind.

I could have listed some crazier bands but decided to mostly stick to what more people listen to.

I think your criteria for "masterpiece" is a bit too loose, man.

I think just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not somebody else's slice of perfection.

Why do you think Anthony doesn't like those albums? Wink

Well he obviously doesn't like them as much as me Tongue
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 17:39
I gotta go with the "none" response.  At least by my criteria for "Masterpiece".

If an artist has five masterpieces...well, those aren't masterpieces, they are what the artist does (unless they have, like, a hundred releases).

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 17:40
Floyd (Piper, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, Animals, WYWH, The Wall, Division Bell)
Queen (I, II, Sheer Heart Attack, ANATO, ADATR,  NOTW, Jazz)
Genesis (Foxtrot, Nursery Crime, ATOTT, TLLDOB, SEBTP, Trespass)
Jethro Tull (Thick As A Brick, Aqualung, Heavy Horses, SFTW, A Passion Play)
Iron Maiden (Powerslave, SSOASS, Brave New World, Somwhere In Time, The Final Frontier)
The Beatles (Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, Abbey Road)
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 17:43
Guess I"m not really a fanboy at all!

I honestly can't think of one band off the top of my head that has five masterpieces, let alone 5 of them! Unless I'm making a gross error, the only one that comes close is VDGG with four masterpieces. Agalloch and Godspeed You! Black Emporer come close, but a) they don't have five albums b) even within their smaller discogs I wouldn't give all of their albums 5 stars. Perhaps someone like Zappa or Sun Ra with huge discogs could muster five masterpieces, but again, even that seems unlikely.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 17:57

Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Magma of course.  Could just about pick any 5 of their albums but I will pick these as my masterpieces:
-Magma aka Kobaia
-1001 Centigrades
-Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
-Kohntarkosz
-Attahk

Art Zoyd's first five albums sound like masterpieces to me.

Can:
-Monster Movie
-Tago Mago
-Ege Bamyasi
-Future Days
-Soon Over Babaluma

King Crimson (haters etc)
-In the Court
-Lizard
-Islands
-Lark's Tongues
-Starless and Bible Black

Pink Floyd (see above)
-Saucerful of Secrets
-Ummagumma
-Atom Heart Mother
-Meddle
-Obscured By Clouds

edit: Oh and TD's first 7 are masterpieces, of course

Jethro Tull, Isis, Neurosis, Primus, Boris (f**k y'all they so prog), Swans (likewise), Agalloch (if you count EPs), Opeth, and Kayo Dot also come to mind.

I could have listed some crazier bands but decided to mostly stick to what more people listen to.

I think your criteria for "masterpiece" is a bit too loose, man.

I think just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not somebody else's slice of perfection.

right answer

Tracking Tracks of Rock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 17:59
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Floyd (Piper, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, Animals, WYWH, The Wall, Division Bell)
Queen (I, II, Sheer Heart Attack, ANATO, ADATR,  NOTW, Jazz)
Genesis (Foxtrot, Nursery Crime, ATOTT, TLLDOB, SEBTP, Trespass)
Jethro Tull (Thick As A Brick, Aqualung, Heavy Horses, SFTW, A Passion Play)
Iron Maiden (Powerslave, SSOASS, Brave New World, Somwhere In Time, The Final Frontier)
The Beatles (Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, Abbey Road)

Wink    this was the right answer , close to my taste , but not my opinion , but at least he comprehends the question !
Tracking Tracks of Rock
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 19:54
Rush(A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures but i could go on and on)
Genesis(Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, A Trick of the Tail, Duke and Genesis(Shapes album))
Emerson Lake & Palmer(Debut album, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgey and Works Vol 1 and 2)
Pink Floyd(A Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals)
Jethro Tull(Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, War Child, Minstrel in the Gallery and Songs from the Wood)
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 20:33
Be Bop Deluxe is a good band, but I they only have five albums and only four of them are masterpieces. Their first album has some weak spots. They have a live album that is heavily aclaimed too, but everyone knows live albums don't count. They are like compilations.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 21:17
I'd have to join those who say none.  I consider a masterpiece to be a pretty rare thing (top 5%), even a great band would be lucky to have one or two.  

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 21:50
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'd have to join those who say none.  I consider a masterpiece to be a pretty rare thing (top 5%), even a great band would be lucky to have one or two.  

I am of the same opinion. Usually, a recording artist has one or two 'masterpieces'. But there always is a single "magnum opus" , an album that is hailed as their best. There can be only one. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 03:17
I'm going with none as well. I can think of some bands that have made near-masterpieces + masterpieces that add up to 5 or more albums. But I can't think of any artist that has made 5 or more full blown masterpieces. I think that's damn near impossible.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 04:21
Originally posted by Varon Varon wrote:

I think it's impossible))) if we are talking about Masterpieces)) Even my top3 favourite bands didn't make more than 4:
Van der Graaf Generatorife:
- H to He who am the Only One
- Pawn Hearts
- Godbluff
- Still Life
King Crimson
- Red
- Islands
- ITCOTCK
- Discipline
Genesis
- Foxtrot
- SEBTP
- TLLDOB
- NC

I adore Jethro Tull , Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Camel, YES but even they have just  2 Really Great Works.

In my opinion

ok , then let's see , in my opinion  <, for VDGG , the Least we can do is a masterpiece , in addition to World Record /   for King Crimson , Lark's Tongues in Aspic is my favorite one , so here we are , the 5th masterpiece for KC /  about Genesis , Wind & wuthering  and Trespass are among the best Genesis albums !!  so ,  this will be my answer my friend !
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 04:44

OUFFF !!!    then you believe all these albums aren't Masterpieces !!!?  do you want me to start counting more than 21 bands & 11 artists with more than 5 Masterpieces !!!   it seems you have a very tight idea & limited knowledge regarding our Archive  , if you are a musician yourself , you know what i'm talking about , sometimes rates aren't really accurate ,  however , my best  Masterpieces in 42 years are simply excellent albums or simply good ones in your site , Lark's Tongues in Aspic & a Passion Play are the best can be done so far , Red , ITCOCC , & TAAB don't even come close to them , Tales from Topographic &  Relayer are the best Masterpieces in Yes discography , and as a musician myself , i don't care if Close to the Edge was rated as #1 or not !   So , the main issue here , there was a word in my question listed above <<<<   in your opinion , disregarding any musical sites   >>>>  have a nice day my friend Finn  !
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 05:19
^I think that´s what he meant Trackstoni (and I´m sorry to intervene here Jim - just making a point - you are free to hammer me down all you wantLOL). In his opinion, there isn´t any bands which fit your description, and I would know him very poorly, if he didn´t disregard the various musical sites - I mean just look at his reviewsSmile PFM´s Per Un Amico is widely regarded as a masterpiece within the Italian scene, and a lot of people here at PA think so as well - he rated it 4* - I would so too. I think the problem here lies in a bit of miscommunication. There are in fact some of us, who really do not think a band, (and even if that band is our absolute favorite - and we have all of their albums and love them to death) - has made 5 masterpieces.
And yes perhaps we have a very tight idea of what masterpieces are - and should be, but on the other hand it just might be the other way aroundWink 

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 15 2011 at 14:25
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 05:36
Originally posted by trackstoni trackstoni wrote:

OUFFF !!!    then you believe all these albums aren't Masterpieces !!!?  do you want me to start counting more than 21 bands & 11 artists with more than 5 Masterpieces !!!   it seems you have a very tight idea & limited knowledge regarding our Archive  , if you are a musician yourself , you know what i'm talking about , sometimes rates aren't really accurate ,  however , my best  Masterpieces in 42 years are simply excellent albums or simply good ones in your site , Lark's Tongues in Aspic & a Passion Play are the best can be done so far , Red , ITCOCC , & TAAB don't even come close to them , Tales from Topographic &  Relayer are the best Masterpieces in Yes discography , and as a musician myself , i don't care if Close to the Edge was rated as #1 or not !   So , the main issue here , there was a word in my question listed above <<<<   in your opinion , disregarding any musical sites   >>>>  have a nice day my friend Finn  !

You've asked for our opnions and thats what your getting, most people wont give 5 stars to 5 albums from any one band (though there are exceptions). And you've just given your opinions on a bunch of albums, but IMO Yes never made any masterpieces, they were only a mediocer band.

The only way I can create a list here is by classing all of the Toby Driver led bands together, so that I get:

maudlin of the Well- Leaving Your Body Map
maudlin of the Well- Part the Second
Kayo Dot- Choirs of the Eye
Kayo Dot- Blue Lambency Downward
Kayo Dot- Coyote

No one else comes close to having 5.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 05:46

Like they say... brofist! Tongue

Funny to see you posting here Jim right when I come back to mention a band that I know you love it too. Well, I'm sticking with my initial position, but I'll add there is a band that offers me five stars worth of enjoyment on (even much) more than just five releases. But that's because I love them that much. It's not a prog band though, it's Led Zeppelin.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 09:27
I'll mention six..

I gave these Art Zoyd albums five stars, but five stars does not really mean masterpiece to me as it does mean, I really love this album and if people like similar music to me, they might too (all a matter of taste, pretty much, anyway):

ART ZOYD Faust
ART ZOYD Génération Sans Futur
ART ZOYD Häxan
ART ZOYD Les Espaces Inquiets
ART ZOYD Musique Pour L'Odyssée
ART ZOYD Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités

I have only given Berlin, Le Mariage..., and Phase IV four stars, but I feel I was being conservative.  Berlin, of late, has been my most listened to Art Zoyd, by the way.  And I would give a it a 5 today, and I did bump my Faust rating from a four at one time....  I love it, but if I were to remove one from that list it would be Faust.  But in another sense, I think of Generation sans Futur as being the masterpiece by Art Zoyd even if I love lots of the group's albums, and have had particular du jour faves (ones I craved at certain times).  I consider Art Zoyd's albums up to and including Berlin very strong, and the 90's Haxan  and Faust very strong.  I also regard more recent albums very highly.  |I do wish Art Zoyd was, generally-speaking, better-known and respected at PA. 

MAGMA:

MAGMA Ẁurdah Ïtah (Christian Vander)
MAGMA 1001° Centigrades
MAGMA MDK
MAGMA Kohntarkosz
MAGMA Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
MAGMA Magma (Kobaïa)

There is no Magma studio album that is not essential to my collection, and I could add KA.  Still, Kobaia is my favourite album my Magma, and so it is the real masterpiece for me.

HELDON:

HELDON Heldon IV: Agneta Nilsson
HELDON Électronique Guérilla
HELDON Interface
HELDON Stand By
HELDON Un Rêve Sans Conséquence Spéciale

Un Reve... has been my particular favourite.

UNIVERS ZERO:

UNIVERS ZERO Univers Zero (1313)
UNIVERS ZERO Ceux Du Dehors
UNIVERS ZERO Heresie
UNIVERS ZERO Uzed
UNIVERS ZERO Heatwave
UNIVERS ZERO Clivages

Perhaps the most consistently excellent band in PA according to my tastes.  Every album I think excellent.  The debut is my particular fave, and so I would call that the true masterpiece (a masterpiece can be considered the best work, according to the rater, and there can only be one real best work while different people, of course, consider different ones to be the best work even if there is sometimes a popular or general concensus).

TANGERINE DREAM:

TANGERINE DREAM Alpha Centauri
TANGERINE DREAM Atem
TANGERINE DREAM Electronic Meditation
TANGERINE DREAM Phaedra
TANGERINE DREAM Zeit 'Largo In 4 Movements'

I don't like Phaedra as much, but I still recognise it to be an excellent album.  Zeit is my favourite of them, so that is the real masterpiece to me of them.

PRESENT

PRESENT Triskaidekaphobie
PRESENT Le Poison Qui Rend Fou
PRESENT Certitudes
PRESENT High Infidelity
PRESENT No. 6

Le poison is my particular fave, followed by the debut, and  I consider those, especially as a double-album release, the real masterpieces. Guess I don't really cnsider all of those masterpieces under evena wider purview, as some I would rate with four stars.

That said, this whole masterpiece concept doesn't mean much to me.  I would get rid of the masterpiece term from the ratings descriptions.  To me masterpiece means a work that excels more than anoy of the other works by an artist, but of course what is a masterpeice is very subjective.  Sometimes it can mean something that is widely held to be outstanding.  When I list so many per band, it ceases to be that outstanding.  But how does one in some cases choose one work as partiaulrly great when there might be various ones that are equally great or great in different ways.  I might enjoy a band's 80s outpout just as much as a bandd's 200s output, but the styles mighty be very different, and so both can be masterpeices for their period etc.  I'd prefer to say that these are albums that I have loved and have considered essential to my collection.  I'm not sure even about listing all of these albums, but I do think these are examples of very strong ones from bands that have been very strong.

Edited by Logan - July 15 2011 at 10:00
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 08:01

Not Finnforest, but being of the same mind I have to say:

Calm down.  In MY opinion it is impossible for any band to have more than one or two masterpieces, because in MY OPINION the very word "Masterpiece" implies something very special and rare. 

This has nothing to do with any ratings on PA or anywhere else.  I was listening to prog long before the internet was invented, let alone ProgArchives.

What you seem to consider a Masterpiece is what I would call a damned fine album but not at the Masterpiece level, with a few exceptions.

So we have answered your question and paid attention to the "in your opinion" part. 
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 09:23
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

Not Finnforest, but being of the same mind I have to say:

Calm down.  In MY opinion it is impossible for any band to have more than one or two masterpieces, because in MY OPINION the very word "Masterpiece" implies something very special and rare. 

This has nothing to do with any ratings on PA or anywhere else.  I was listening to prog long before the internet was invented, let alone ProgArchives.

What you seem to consider a Masterpiece is what I would call a damned fine album but not at the Masterpiece level, with a few exceptions.

So we have answered your question and paid attention to the "in your opinion" part. 

Appreciate your answer , and time spare in writing , but you're not convincing me , maybe because you've said you're listening to Progressive long time before Internet was invented  , cause if it's true , your answer must be otherwise and completely different !!   Cool
Tracking Tracks of Rock
sydbarrett2010 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 09:52
KING CRIMSON:
ITCOTCK
Red
Discipline
Thrak
LTIA

PINK FLOYD: