Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 08:41
See, it wasn't posted in a wrong thread Embarrassed
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 07:18
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It achieves something that is extremely rare, IMO, and that is utilising an almost monotone passage to build a tension that you could cut the air with. The musicianship is exceptional, and it exemplifies, to me, that spirit of the era, in that the band were completely unafraid to experiment to produce something special.
However, the clincher for me is that mellotron solo at the close, the finest use of that particular instrument ever laid down on record. 

Starless has some of the most atmospheric use of mellotron I've heard. It's what first got me hooked on the track.

The tension of the middle section, and the spine tingling release of the closing section is King Crimson at their best, imo.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 08:02
Me used to dig "Starless" but that's no longer the case since I've been loving "La Villa Strangiato" Embarrassed
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:45
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Thanks for your replies so far.

Let me make it clear that I don't dislike Starless. Fripp seems to have though as he didn't think it good enough for the album it was supposed to be on. But it is interesting reading your views.

I prefer "Red" to "Starless". "Red" is more "original" and creative as it is what we might consider a new direction. I think that "Starless" basically was some more stuff that was in the "Red" vein of things ... but I can not say that I enjoy "Starless" more than "Red". I'll listen to them again tonight and re-check my thinking.

My enjoyment of KC stopped after "Red" and "Larks Tongues in Aspic". By that time I was way too deep into the rest of the European music scene, and a lot of the things that KC were doing did not sound fresh or new to me. Robert Fripp was far more original and interesting in his solo efforts and other works.

Edited by moshkito - February 19 2012 at 12:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 01:36

this is progressive rock school or should i say college...

this song almost single handedly define what prog rock is all about , the beautiful start the change, the climax, release and the closing section which is a different version of the start . amazing!!

it's no justice putting this epic in a few words though...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123