Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop 5 technical guitar players?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 06:52
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Meh

THERE'S the pretentious prog snob attitude - if you can't find any level of "wow, those guys are good" from those videos, then you need to open yourself up to the fact that there are more than one style of music out there, and people in styles you don't like may still be very skilled.

Just because there's a lot of skill involved doesn't mean everyone should automatically like it.  
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 07:38
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

^ Meh

THERE'S the pretentious prog snob attitude - if you can't find any level of "wow, those guys are good" from those videos, then you need to open yourself up to the fact that there are more than one style of music out there, and people in styles you don't like may still be very skilled.

Just because there's a lot of skill involved doesn't mean everyone should automatically like it.  

I'm not saying you should like it.  But "meh" seems to imply one does not think they are even very skilled, and if that was not the intention, a different phrasing might be a better choice.  Something like "well, he's good, but not my thing" maybe.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 10:57

^ Meh

As a lover of classical, jazz, progressive rock, and bluegrass, I'll say that none of those guys were good and are only purely shredders. They don't have the credentials to stand up next to the greats. If you think they do, then that's fine and that's your opinion, but don't expect others to be impressed. Guthrie Govan is a very skilled player, but his playing lacks excitement and some refinement in my view and most of all it lacks the kind of emotion that has made guys like McLaughlin, Di Meola, Holdsworth, etc. world-class musicians.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 24 2012 at 10:58
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 11:02

^ Meh

No, there's only one style of music: Funeral Doom. All music is a derivation, variation or perversion of that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 11:20
For me, Al Di Meola is one of the best guitarists alive. He combines incredible technical facility on the guitar with pure heart and soul. Here's a song from Kiss My Axe that I've always enjoyed:

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 15:32

^ Meh

I think Atavachron meant it as a joke ... or not. Either way, I don't care. If it could qualify as an implication, then I think it's a rather weak one. And skill is not everything, in case if you didn't know that.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 24 2012 at 15:35
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 15:35
The simple "Wow, how could you not like that" would have sufficed. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 15:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

And skill is not everything, in case if you didn't know that.

Which what I've been saying all along...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 17:25
Tosin Abasi
James MacGaw

and

I find I don't care about anybody else who shreds, really.  Paul Gilbert is a cool guy, at least.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 17:28
Interested in Racer X - TMV's bassist, Juan Alderete, is in there too of course.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 18:14

Jessica Lewis?

*shrug*
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 18:20
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Jessica Lewis?

*shrug*

I was bored after the first minute. She's still a young person though and has a lot of growing up to do.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 18:37
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

And skill is not everything, in case if you didn't know that.
Which what I've been saying all along...
Skill is everything in a Tech Guitarist thread, in fact it's the only thing, so let's get that straight right now.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 18:42
^ OK, there must be some misunderstanding, there must be some kind of a mistake, I wai... no, I'll stop right here.

What we were saying is that immense, just grand, technical skill is not everything. I hoped that people would understand the message. I have yet to tackle the issue of songwriting. The Beatles could do without much technicality. Nickie Drake could do without much skill on "River Man", right? Got that straight.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 24 2012 at 18:49
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 18:49

I was bored after the first minute. She's still a young person though and has a lot of growing up to do.

You desperately need to expand your horizons then.  That is not the usual style of music I seek out, but it was some fine playing.  I wouldn't say "top 5" but that is a far cry from "bored after the first minute".  Your parents never made you sit through symphonies or other forms of music you weren't into, did they?  Probably didn't make you eat your broccoli either.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 18:50

^ OK, there must be some misunderstanding, there must be some kind of a mistake, I wai... no, I'll stop right here.

What we were saying is that immense, just grand, technical skill is not everything. I hoped that people would understand the message. I have yet to tackle the issue of songwriting. The Beatles could do without much technicality. Nickie Drake could do without much skill on "River Man", right? Got that straight.
yeah, and I agree, but for the third timepeople understand emotionality is important, but this discussion was not supposed to be about that until it was hijacked by the "Hey y'know emotion is as or more important than technique, you troglodytes!" crowd.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 19:35
^ So, what you are saying is that we are off-the-topic. Didn't notice I was crossing the line there. No, wait ... someone else started this argument. A-a-a-a-ah, who cares.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 24 2012 at 19:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 19:38

You desperately need to expand your horizons then.  That is not the usual style of music I seek out, but it was some fine playing.  I wouldn't say "top 5" but that is a far cry from "bored after the first minute".  Your parents never made you sit through symphonies or other forms of music you weren't into, did they?  Probably didn't make you eat your broccoli either.

You desperately need to quit assuming you know me when you don't nor do you know my tastes in music. I simply stated that I didn't dig the girl's playing and found it boring. That's okay isn't it? I'm allowed to disagree with you right?

About classical music, I've learned more in the last three years than most people have their entire lives about this genre. I went head first into what I feel to be the greatest art that was ever imagined. My preference for 20th Century composers got me into some hot water on classical forums, but that's okay, I enjoy what I enjoy. Favorite composers: Shostakovich (obviously), Bartok, Ravel, Prokofiev, Villa-Lobos, Vaughan Williams, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Janacek, Sibelius, Szymanowski, Roussel, Ives, Copland, William Schuman, Milhaud, among others. Now, if you excuse me, I have to go get my head examined because apparently I need to "expand my horizons."

Edited by Mirror Image - July 24 2012 at 19:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 19:41

^ So, what you are saying is that we are off-the-topic. Didn't notice I was crossing the line there. No, wait ... someone else started this argument. A-a-a-a-ah, who cares.
No worries, carry on

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 22:02

someone disagreed with me they are so stupid how can u be so dum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>