Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRevolutionise the site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 22:16
^ But of course the obvious answer is to move Tull to Eclectic Prog, a matter that has been discussed and has validity.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if JT is moved there someday.   That's largely what Eclectic was set up to accommodate; bands that have outgrown their root beginnings and are clearly eclectic as judged by their catalog as a whole.   The thinking with Tull was that they're from a Folk/Blues background and though their output is quite varied, it has always maintained the Celtic and Renaissance qualities it has.   But like I said it may be time soon to reevaluate that decision.

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 23:03
As I've mentioned in another thread, IMHO, current "progressive rock subgenre categories" in PA are existing roughly for every fan who tries to research his/her taste or fondness, not for us to give a place strictly to a progressive rock artist.

The most important matter for Collabs belonging to subgenre teams is, to make a decision whether a candidate can be thought as progressive firstly, and whether he/she/they can be fit for a subgenre (and no problem if not completely) secondly.

Music leans itself on continuity ... no one here cannot classify it strictly / completely. As other collabs have said they love the current classification, I'm fond of this roughness and flexibility in the current classification of subgenres in PA.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 00:40
 ^ I wholeheartedly agree--  brilliant statement, Damo

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 06:41
^^ I would have to whole-heartedly agree as well
as I said before, if some extra flexibility is required then limited band-tagging could be the solution
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 07:11
Maybe sub-genres generate some trouble for the site administration but I believe that they are useful for the user, however inaccurate or unfair they may sometimes be.

The point when sub-genres become a danger is when musicians themselves take them too seriously and deliberately set out to making "Symphonic Prog", "Math-Rock" or whatever [gosh I'm starting to sound like Pedro (Moshkito)] LOL
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 17:24
I think things work generally pretty well around here. While I understand that many bands have evolved and moved on from some of the sub-genre’s they emerged from, whether they like it or not they are mostly associated with those original genres. I think it helps newcomers exploring an artist for the first time understand where they came from, how they continued on and how they actually progressed. It’s a helpful way in for brand new listeners. Perhaps the bios of bands could be updated over time to mention how the artist has evolved. I think this already happens from time to time.

I don't understand why others have to be so ashamed to have their band/artist linked to a sub-genre they feel is derogatory or insulting to them. I'm sorry, but `neo prog', `crossover prog' etc is not a reason to be offended, and none of the sub-genre's are designed to be a dumping ground for lesser artists. Every one of the existing sub-genres in place are truly warranted, and serve an important purpose.

On a personal note, if the RPI sub-genre were to be somewhat insultingly removed from the Archives, it would seriously lower the site's credibility...Despite some people having hang-up's and resentment over it's use, that sub-genre is recognized AROUND THE WORLD, not just solely for our site - we didn't patent it and create it ourselves, it's a recognized name and description for a particular type of progressive music that has so many original, defining and unique qualities, that's loved by so many people around the world. It was also well in place before the Archives came along. To dismiss it as merely `symphonic prog just sung in Italian' is hugely offensive and all but ignorant. In the 23+ years of collecting progressive music, I've lost count of the amount of RPI albums that sound NOTHING like symphonic albums from the rest of the world. But that's not really what this thread is about, so I'll let that go for now.

Prog Archives is in a hugely valuable position where it is. Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but if you do a general search for a progressive rock artist/album, more often than not the first Google result will be an Archives listing. We have such a wide exposure for our music, and it didn't happen accidently. Through hard work, dedicated Prog aficionados keeping up the quality and content of the site, we've helped contribute to making it the defining progressive rock resource on the internet, and that is through maintaining the system that works so well now. The team bashing/dismissals and personal hang-ups about nagging little unimportant issues that pop up from time to time only risk to ruin the good work and good will of a terrific group of people who are passionately devoted to our favourite musical genre, who work towards keeping up the integrity and status our site has.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - January 17 2013 at 17:41
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 10:31
I personally agree with the idea of ditching the subgenres altogether, or at least radically reducing their number - not that I don't believe there aren't identifiable scenes and subgenres within prog, clearly there are, but equally I think there are less than we often make out to be (Crossover and Eclectic prog, for instance, are manifestly inventions of this site designed as catch-all categories for the albums which fall between the cracks).

I also agree with lazland that it can take unacceptably long for some major new releases to be added to the site, and that being anal about subcategories is a major contributor to the delay. I say that if there's an album which is clearly some variety of prog, it should be added to the site, and if the subgenre teams take too long about deciding where it has to go someone needs to step in and just assign a genre to it.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 11:18
Thanks again for all the comments. Actually, much of this debate has also spilled over into the neo debate on the prog music lounge, so I am going to take my time over the weekend to pull much of the debates together, and then make some suggestions on the back of it.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 12:50
^ Good idea. I think things got a bit confused in the neo thread because half the conversation seems to be about the use of "neo" as a subcategory on here (something I think we can fruitfully debate) and half the conversation seems to be about the idea that you shouldn't use the term in discussing prog at all, which is a position I think is less defensible (you can use more or less any term you like in discussing stuff so long as you are clear by what you mean by it).
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 13:38
I've only been a regular here for about a year, so I've held my thoughts to myself until now.  I like how the discussion is going, though.  I am personally undecided on what I would want to do.  I guess what it comes down to is -- a) is the current system really that unmanageable, and b) are the alternatives any more manageable.  By the way I phrased this, you can probably tell that my gut reaction to both is "no", but then again, I really haven't experienced the same frustrations as many more seasoned collabs and other site users have.

With a solution like album-tagging, I can also see a potential for a bunch of new problems associated with that option, even as the current problems are solved.  As for slimming down the number of subgenres, I really have no opinion on that, I don't feel particularly strongly about such labels anyway (other than as a convenience), though Jim's early comment about his team's dedication to RPI really moved me, and I imagine other teams feel a certain pride and ownership of their little specialty areas.

So I don't have a whole lot to contribute to the discussion, it's just that from my perspective, there really isn't a big enough problem to warrant the huge effort it would take to overhaul the system, in favor of a new system with all its inherent flaws.  (Is there a perfect system?  I can't think of one, that's why this topic is so thought-provoking).

I do applaud lazland for starting this discussion and inviting exchange of ideas among everyone, as well as collating and synthesizing our thoughts and ideas.  I'm always very impressed by how dedicated so many of us are to this site.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 19:02
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

from my perspective, there really isn't a big enough problem to warrant the huge effort it would take to overhaul the system, in favor of a new system with all its inherent flaws.
Clap

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I do applaud lazland for starting this discussion and inviting exchange of ideas among everyone, as well as collating and synthesizing our thoughts and ideas.
Clap Clap
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 19:40
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

equally I think there are less than we often make out to be (Crossover and Eclectic prog, for instance, are manifestly inventions of this site designed as catch-all categories for the albums which fall between the cracks).

I also agree with lazland that it can take unacceptably long for some major new releases to be added to the site, and that being anal about subcategories is a major contributor to the delay. I say that if there's an album which is clearly some variety of prog, it should be added to the site, and if the subgenre teams take too long about deciding where it has to go someone needs to step in and just assign a genre to it.

1)  Yes, that was indeed the purpose of Eclectic and Xover--  to accommodate bands that may fall between cracks.   What's your objection to that?   It serves the purpose for which you seem concerned: making sure prog artists are added to PA.

2)  Unacceptably long to add major releases?   Then, if they've been officially released, add those releases yourself.   As far as I know any member is still allowed to add any proper release of a band that appears on PA.

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 01:58
I hate that these bands are on labels, I don't like to think of certain bands just labeled a certain genre for example Tool and Dream Theater are also Prog Rock not just Prog Metal or Experimental Metal, they play Prog Rock as well. Rush and Opeth too. Opeth incorporates Jazz Fusion and Prog Rock but they''re Extreme Metal, the same goes for Mastodon(they don't really incorporate Jazz fusion though). I generally like to label certain bands as Prog Rock and Prog Metal.

Prog Rock to me would include:Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Camel,Caravan, and Van Der Graaf Generator and many more
Prog Metal to me would include:Rush, Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, Riverside, Dream Theater but like I said Rush, Tool, and Dream Theater could also fall under Prog Rock even Opeth can too. I hate these labels to be honest. I know these bands incorporate symphonic pieces but that's what makes it Prog(trying something different)
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 02:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

equally I think there are less than we often make out to be (Crossover and Eclectic prog, for instance, are manifestly inventions of this site designed as catch-all categories for the albums which fall between the cracks).

2)  Unacceptably long to add major releases?   Then, if they've been officially released, add those releases yourself.   As far as I know any member is still allowed to add any proper release of a band that appears on PA.

He, and I, were talking about bands that do not appear on PA.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 05:46
hello, yesterday I listened to Corvus Stone's self-titled album (you know the unending album) and it appeared to me that "crossover" tag in PA is very reductive as far as their music is concerned. In fact, i would put their music along with the one of Mr Bungle or Igoor in terms of eclectism (you can hear southern rock, funk, ambient, prog, jazz-rock, zappaesques, movie soudntrack...). They are very far from being just another pop prog band ("crossover" meaning pop in my mind).
And this is a good example of "eclectic" prog, blending many influences in one album / I do not consider a band having a slightly different style from one album to the other but consistent style all along one single album eclectic (cf king Crimson).
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 09:39
I don't think the crossover tag should be "reductive" (?)
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 10:05
^
given all their influences, labelling them "crossover" (which is prog rock with no other additional influence than pop) is quite restrictive.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 13:52
Well, there has been quite a lot of debate around both the post I initiated here, and the neo post Lucas initiated in the Prog Lounge. This is my initial response. I will post, probably tomorrow now, some suggestions, but I wanted to clarify a few things in this post.

The first thing to say is that, as I rather expected, there will never be a consensus on the site for this issue. Some people agree with me that the sub-genres are, essentially, unhelpful, and should be gotten rid of. Others think everything should stay as it is. Others feel that a rationalisation of the sub-genres would be beneficial. We have also had others very passionately going for the artist and/or album tagging system, similar to those which exist on the sister sites. On the whole, though, what we have had is a polite and positive debate, and I am grateful for that.

Secondly, it was never my intent to upset or insult teams and collabs. I clearly did that with the RPI boys, and for that I offer an unreserved apology. Of all the teams here, this is, in fact, the one I respect the most, and, perhaps, I should have phrased my comments as saying that this particular scene emanated from classic symphonic prog in the 1970's, as it did, but has, clearly, progressed as the years have gone by.

We all passionately care deeply about this site, that much is clear. In the main, we debate these issues politely and with the best interests of the site at heart. This debate was initiated in that spirit.

I have to say, looking at the numerous posts made recently, that there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who do not think that we do things as well as we could. I will, in my next post, try my best to see if I can make some suggestions that might bring a bit more agreement and consensus.

At the end of the day, though, we have a rather simple choice to make. We leave things as they are, a choice I regard as being anathema. Or, we make changes. If it is the latter, it will involve some work. I have no doubt whatsoever that the members and collabs here are up to that task. Change can be good, you know. Why are we so conservative?

I will now spend the next few hours and tomorrow making some notes. I am hoping that the proposed changes I will put forward can enable us to move on. In doing so, I will not repeat the debating points....otherwise the post will be longer than the Bible!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 14:48
For what its worth, if the genres remain I think they should become sub genres. grouped under three or four  main genres.

I see Neo, Symphonic  and possibly Eclectic being sub genres for example. Krautrock  and Electronic could be sub genres of a larger group. these  details need to be ironed out of course.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 15:00
^ but the whole point is that we don't have genres, only have sub-genres, prog is the genre, and this is why I feel reluctant about reducing the numbers - sub-genres indicating some special characteristics, not necessary setting artists in stone of one sub or another

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>