Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe fathers of Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Poll Question: Which band would you call the fathers of Prog Metal
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [41.79%]
20 [29.85%]
19 [28.36%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 14:05
I've never heard any elements of prog in Black Sabbath Ermm, for me they are mostly the fathers of metal imagery and also of stoner rock music. So I choose Rush
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 14:09
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Other: Thin Lizzy.
Eh? Confused

THAT'S THE JOKE. Stern Smile

Really? It's not very funny.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 16:55

Other: Thin Lizzy.
Eh? Confused

THAT'S THE JOKE. Stern Smile

Really? It's not very funny.

And what if I said with a funny voice and a clown make-up? Clown
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 19:51
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

DREAM THEATER easy!!!!! I know they did start as soon as some of the other greats, but they made the genre for what it has now become today. I would say Iron Maiden, but their early stuff is more heavy Metal not prog and Rush is in No way metal sounding to me. Queensrÿche haven't had a long enough legacy to be considered Godfathers even though they really helped kickstart the genre. Fates Warning? Na. I think not.

I vote (other) for Dream Theater.

Are you telling me that Cygnus-X , The Necromancer, Anthem, By-tor and the Snow Dog are not MetalConfused

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...all the bands suggested thus far (except Ironing Maiden of course) may possibly be the fathers of Hard and/or Heavy Rock or Metal or Heavy Prog, but they are the Grandfathers of Prog Metal. The Father of Prog Metal would be a Metal band, not a hard rock band or a loud Prog band.

Stern Smile

Rush are a Heavy Metal Band Stern Smile. You see though it's tough to put them in any category
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 20:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

High Tide's Sea Shanties anyone? Pretty close methinks, but when we are talking about fathering a style of music, I believe it has to be a band that put out a series of albums, almost like a sonic blueprint of what was to come, and Black Sabbath did just that - and more.

I was waiting for someone to mention that album.  The first progressive metal album.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 20:50
Rush. 

Cool
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:42
Going by Dean's very logical interpretation of the term, I would go with Iron Maiden too.  They are clearly metal in the 80s and onwards sense of the genre - which Sabbath and Rush are not - and not yet all out prog metal either, but with many tracks that hint at it.   I guess some of you guys haven't talked to hardcore metalheads - the kind who listen to thrash metal and 'above' only - they'd consider DP or Rainbow or Heep as just hard rock.  It's not about which side is 'right' on this one; it's just that metal changed quite fundamentally in the 80s. 

Fates Warning was actually prog metal already and most likely influenced by IM.   It's a myth that Dream Theater 'created' prog metal with Images & Words.  That album is just the 'posterboy' of prog metal but there are a fair few prog metal bands and albums that pre-date it.  FW for one and Atheist's debut dating to 1988 had a completely different approach from anything DT ever made.  Metallica's And Justice for All would also qualify as prog metal and it evidently came to without any DT influence.  
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 23:02
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Metallica's And Justice for All would also qualify as prog metal and it evidently came to without any DT influence.  

And Justice for All was the last album from their classic era that I heard, and I love it.  I was surprised Metallica could sound so progressive.

But I'd say Iron Maiden.  They're much more a progressive band than Metallica.  Black Sabbath does have some progressive elements, but I'd say they're only slightly more progressive than Led Zeppelin, not quite prog.

Edited by Earendil - April 30 2013 at 23:18
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 23:08
not Sabbath, but Ozzy with the help of Randy Rhoads.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 23:26
^^^ Where did Maiden and Metallica get its prog influence, most definitely not Sabbath. Rush has an influence on both Maiden and Metallica Stern Smile. That's just plain fact!
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 00:11
^ Any evidence of that ... "fact"?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 01 2013 at 00:12
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 00:13
And so the twain that shall never meet, meet again.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 00:16
It is a small world after all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 01:18
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

^^^ Where did Maiden and Metallica get its prog influence, most definitely not Sabbath. Rush has an influence on both Maiden and Metallica Stern Smile. That's just plain fact!
And which Rush tracks appear on Garage Inc.?
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 01:43

And which Rush tracks appear on Garage Inc.?

None, but they've played Working Man live on many occasions and have publicly cited them as a strong influence and those instrumentals wouldn't exist without La Villa Strangiato

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Do your research, please!! Metal Virgin

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - May 01 2013 at 01:43
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 01:52
^ That was ... polite.

... those instrumentals wouldn't exist without La Villa Strangiato.
Which ones specifically?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 01 2013 at 01:55
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 02:02

None, but they've played Working Man live on many occasions and have publicly cited them as a strong influence and those instrumentals wouldn't exist without La Villa Strangiato

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Do your research, please!! Metal Virgin

All of which doesn't establish that they derived their prog elements ONLY from Rush.  You are ignoring Iron Maiden's own influence on Metallica.  Iron Maiden already had instrumentals and extended sections on their debut, so it is reasonable to deduce that they could have influenced the more prog aspects of Metallica's style.   And Iron Maiden certainly didn't derive their prog side entirely from Rush.  Steve Harris has cited the influence of Genesis and Jethro Tull and Bruce Dickinson has said he was fond of VDGG.   These bands are at least as progressive, if not more so, than Rush.  Wink
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:27

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

...all the bands suggested thus far (except Ironing Maiden of course) may possibly be the fathers of Hard and/or Heavy Rock or Metal or Heavy Prog, but they are the Grandfathers of Prog Metal. The Father of Prog Metal would be a Metal band, not a hard rock band or a loud Prog band.

Stern Smile
Rightly so, Embarrassed

But the problem is, that its as impossible to define if a Hard rock band is metal, as it is to define, if a 70's band is prog. ; most sources define hard rock and metal as beeing basicly one same thing.
Zep Sabbath and so on, is to most a first wave.

ect. ect.

more about the subject here :

Ah, the wikipedia article that introduces us to the seldom read phrase: "punk rock sensibility" ... what an oxymoron... LOL

Never again will we see those three words used in the same sentence, even if Lemmy is involved.

But Nope. While the academic music historians can piddle around to their hearts content, and I do recognise the logic that for there to have been a New Wave Of British Heavy Metal that presuposes that there was an Old Wave of British Heavy Metal before it, this isn't strictly true. The New Wave of epiphet was adopted in deference to the "New Wave" phenominon that was sweeping through mainstream music at that time. What came before was Heavy Rock (which the 'mericans called Hard Rock) not Metal and it was never called Metal (even the seemingly apt named Heavy Metal Kids were a Heavy Rock band who took their name from a gang of street kids featured in a WIlliam S. Borroughs book and not from a musical genre).

The reason why people think "Heavy Metal" existed before then is by word-association - it is familiar to us because a whole bunch of elements on the periodic table are called Heavy Metals so the transition from Heavy Rock (Brit. Eng.) to Heavy Metal (Brit. Eng. and Amer. Eng.) more or less happened without asking.
So what you are basicly saying is everyone out there got it wrong, and im right !
In that case you convinced me, that you are not going to change your mind, but you didnt convince me, that Black Sabbath was not Heavy Metal.

Edited by tamijo - May 01 2013 at 03:29
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:35
Try this:  Sabbath in the Ozzy years is heavy metal, but it's not Metal.  There's a huge difference between the Sabbath albums and Dehumanizer, which is in turn heavier than Heaven and Hell or the Rainbow albums, etc.   That is, there was some such thing as heavy metal in the 70s but that had about as much to do with prog metal as Elvis Priesley had to with Van Halen.  Black Sabbath's concerts often featured long blues-based jams, which is not nearly typical of prog metal at all.  Jazz-rock like Al Di Meola or Dixie Dregs had more to do with prog metal than Sabbath.    

Speaking of Van Halen, Metal tends to deviate from blues while hard rock remains wedded to it, and is arguably just a very heavy form of blues.   You 'subtract' all the heaviness from Van Halen's songs like Panama or Girl Gone Bad and what remains is blues.  You can't say that about, say, Hallowed Be Thy Name, it's a different 'beast'. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:45
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

So what you are basicly saying is everyone out there got it wrong, and im right !
In that case you convinced me, that you are not going to change your mind, but you didnt convince me, that Black Sabbath was not Heavy Metal.

I'm saying that back then it wasn't called Heavy Metal it was called Heavy Rock - they weren't Stoner or Doom either. I don't need to convince you of anything. You can regard Sabbath as Metal now if you wish, but they weren't in the 60s and 70s, and neither were Rusheither.

People applying labels retrospectively doesn't change the music they played or the pigeonholing that was used before the new pigeonhole was created. Saying Black Sabbath was Heavy Metal in 1969 is revisionist, it's applying modern terminology to a time before the term existed. That's like calling The Nile Song a metal tune. If you must use modern terminology then they would be Proto-Metal but obviously no band in the history of music has ever formed with the intention of being Proto anything, we can only apply that pigeonhole retrospectively.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>