Not another "overrated" thread/poll. [cough, cough, hard cough, hard cough]
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 06:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Overrated commercially or overrated among the prog community?
Tom Sawyer is overrated commercially but prog fans and a good chunk of Rush fans (from what I've seen) aren't too keen on it (except maybe the drumming).
Can't think of any that are overrated in the prog community, just stuff I don't enjoy as much as other things. (Like Zeuhl. Tried a few Magma albums but couldn't get into it. I don't consider it overrated simply because it doesn't appeal to me, though.)

I struggle with the idea that a good chunk of Rush fans aren't keen on Tom Sawyer. To me that track is perfect in every way. talk about being spoiltLOLWink
I've never been that keen on Tom Sawyer (or the whole of Moving Pictures for that matter) but I'm not going to say it's over-rated because a lot of Rush fans obviously do like it.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 06:31
I don't like the term over-rated, but one band that everyone seems to think are the bees knees, who do little for me is TMV. I have two of their albums, and aside from a few good songs, it seems to their intention is to choose as any sounds as they can, that get on my nerves. FTM is marred by long stretches of mind numbing noise.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 06:34
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Tom Sawyer is overrated commercially but prog fans and a good chunk of Rush fans (from what I've seen) aren't too keen on it (except maybe the drumming).

Can't think of any that are overrated in the prog community, just stuff I don't enjoy as much as other things. (Like Zeuhl. Tried a few Magma albums but couldn't get into it. I don't consider it overrated simply because it doesn't appeal to me, though.)

I struggle with the idea that a good chunk of Rush fans aren't keen on Tom Sawyer. To me that track is perfect in every way. talk about being spoiltLOLWink

I've never been that keen on Tom Sawyer (or the whole of Moving Pictures for that matter) but I'm not going to say it's over-rated because a lot of Rush fans obviously do like it.

Tom Sawyer would be up there among my favourite Rush songs. I probably like it more these days than I did when I first discovered the band.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:04
I'll catch heat for this, but just about anything by Nektar. To me Nektar is what you get when you combine three parts Yes, Genesis, and Camel in a blender, throw in a couple tablespoons of Pink Floyd, add a couple pinches of Hawkwind and King Crimson, and blend till smooth. I know a lot of people like Nektar, but I've never been able to get into them.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I'll catch heat for this, but just about anything by Nektar. To me Nektar is what you get when you combine three parts Yes, Genesis, and Camel in a blender, throw in a couple tablespoons of Pink Floyd, add a couple pinches of Hawkwind and King Crimson, and blend till smooth. I know a lot of people like Nektar, but I've never been able to get into them.
I love Nektar's "Recycled" but their other albums sound like a different band to me.  I like "Desolation Valley" off "A Tab in the Ocean" but the "Recycled" album just blows away any other Nektar I've heard.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:41

Those growling Oberheim synths, tight drumming, great overall sound, and an out of the box solo from Alex make it one of my favourite Rush songs...certainly in my top 5. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:46
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Those growling Oberheim synths, tight drumming, great overall sound, and an out of the box solo from Alex make it one of my favourite Rush songs...certainly in my top 5. 

One more Tom Sawyer fan here.  Maybe it's not epic or whatever, but it kicks ass.   Any song/album/band that you call underrated or overrated, there's always going to be somebody who hates it or really likes it, as applicable.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 11:10
"Tom Sawyer" is fantastic, but I love "Limelight" even more. From the opening riff to Alex's emotive solo, it's one of the songs that embodies everything I like about Rush.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 15:29
Well... that's news to me. LOL
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 05:35
No song is overrated. What is overrated are statements from individuals who believe a song is overrated. So there!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 05:59
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

No song is overrated. What is overrated are statements from individuals who believe a song is overrated. So there!
Paul's McCartney's Frog Chorus is undeniably lightyears above and beyond anything else he ever wrote, no contest!
There's No-one Quite Like Grandma by The St Winifred School Choir deserves to be the Most Aspirational song of all musicians everywhere.

Want me to stop yet? LOL
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 06:17
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Paul's McCartney's Frog Chorus is undeniably lightyears above and beyond anything else he ever wrote, no contest!
There's No-one Quite Like Grandma by The St Winifred School Choir deserves to be the Most Aspirational song of all musicians everywhere.

Want me to stop yet? LOL
Oh no, carry on. When you get to a song that is truely overrated then do please stop. Tongue
What?
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 09:33
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Everything ever by Jethro Tull minus A Passion Play

+1 minus Baker St. Muse

Edited by hobocamp - June 04 2013 at 09:34
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 01:56
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Not another "overrated" thread/poll. [cough, cough, hard cough, hard cough]

To quote from Ho. J Simpson: " Hey if you don't like it, go to Russia"LOL

To me overrated songs from certain bands are:

King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
Pink Floyd-Echoes

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - June 05 2013 at 19:18
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 12:47
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Many lengthy 'classics' of the 70s aren't especially better than the other works of the same bands. But they're so often hailed as being all-time top ten material by fans. How much of that worship is merely due to extra minutes? Supper's Ready isn't vastly better than Watcher Of The Skies, it's just longer (which gives it more time to show off, I suppose). Close To The Edge isn't vastly better than Siberian Khatru, it's just longer. And so froth.

Really? You think Siberian Khatru (the song where the refrain is repeated over 30 times) is as good as Close to the Edge?

The refrain isn't really repeated all that much. In full it's sung just twice, and if you count the part where they sing tons of two-syllable words you have three. And it's not like "Close to the Edge" is any less repetitive.

As for prog classics I don't like (or like much less than general consensus), the number one spot is certainly held by "Supper's Ready" and most of the Foxtrot album. Pawn Hearts is probably second. Wind & Wuthering and Lizard are two albums that aren't really acclaimed outside of this website, but I'm not fond of them anyway.
OberheimRush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 13:41
Overrated? Maybe. But a lot of these are overplayed more than anything.

Dark Side of The Moon is a fantastic album, and as far as I know the only overplayed songs are Time and Money which still are great (dem guitar solos). If there's any Pink Floyd song that's overrated, in my opinion its Comfortably Numb (I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for that one lol).

Moving Pictures is another excellent album, but pretty much the entire first side is overplayed, particularly Tom Sawyer and Limelight. That being said, they're still awesome songs.

Lucky Man and Karn Evil 9 (First Impression Part 2) I think are all very overrated. From the Beginning is kind of overplayed but it's a good song. Fanfare for the common is extremely overrated. (Someone said earlier it was because of Keith using the Yamaha GX1. I agree, that thing sounds cheesy as all hell)

I don't really find any Yes or Genesis stuff overrated/overplayed (maybe Watcher of the Skies a little bit). Roundabout is overplayed a lot but again I really enjoy it so I don't really care (how can you not love that Bass line? The keyboard parts are great, too).
Artilectband View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:09
I facepalm everytime I hear someone say "Pull Me Under" is the best Dream Theater song. -_-
Prog recorded @ Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy's studio;produced by BTBAMs producer.Check it out and give us some feedback!
Bandcamp: http://artilectband.bandcamp.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/artilect
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:25
"Pull Me Under" is the best Dream Theater song...

....just kidding, it's Space-Dye Vest Wink
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:35
The only instance where I'd consider using a phrase like "overrated prog song" is perhaps when wannabe Indie bands apply the prog sticker to something that's clearly not. I'd call that overrated as a prog song.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>