Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedImprovisation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 23:47
I love improvisation. I should. That's all I do when I play guitar. Bruford talked about this somewhere comparing music to a conversation where your whole conversation is planned in advance, and then night after night you have that same preplanned conversation. I feel like this. I learn specific pieces from time to time and then I get promptly forget them.

Frank Zappa would hover over both extremes. He would have pieces that were meticulously worked out, and then he would have some that were rather free form. Even in Zappa's free form pieces, such as on the Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar albums, his improvs were not exactly directionless. He would hit moments when he would play a phrase, then play it again but change something, and then play it again a third time changing something else.

I would like to point out to some naysayers that arrangements, even complicated arrangements, can be improvised.

Steve Hackett sticks most often to well worked out arrangements, but he does improvise in a nuanced way within them. He's also talked about liking classical guitar because he can more freely stretch out or shorten notes, being freed of the dictates of a drummer's backbeat.

Edited by HackettFan - August 11 2013 at 06:14
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 06:02
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Personally I don't mind longer improvisation on stage if it's interesting and doesn't overpower the musical proceedings uncomfortably (very subjective, I know). I don't think improvising has a place on the studio albums of the genres that I prefer, which are: symphonic prog, heavy prog, prog metal, and a lot of melodic prog-related. As I'm generally very melody oriented and also enjoy complicated but precisely executed musical structures, improvisation can easily damage a lot of my musical enjoyment and require large amounts of Budweiser to endure.

Improvisations in other genres are not anything I have a particularly strong opinion about.

Well, it depends on what you understand by the term improvisation.  I am not sure there is any consensus so far in this thread on even the point of what exactly is improvisation.   See, the notes on a studio recording may also have been improvised even if they 'sound' composed.  We say it is composed if it fits well with the music but that's not necessary.  E.g. the coda of Starship Trooper is pretty loose and has an improvised quality.  To me, that is the highlight of the track, Howe's playing elevates an already good track.   Speaking of KC, the saxophone solos on One More Red Nightmare don't seem to have been entirely composed either -  at any rate, there is a lot of room left for different interpretations in the way it is structured.  

I am not sure there is any genre that cannot accommodate improvisation as a rule.  I do agree that it depends heavily on the musicians; poor improv can be very off putting as it can come across as show boating.  As Pessimist said earlier, good improv tends to be within certain parameters and if these are more melodic, there is no reason why an improv should include out of tune/wrong notes.  
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 06:19
I personally think that what Rogerthat just highlighted in npjnpj's post sadly shows yet another example of people relying too much on made up stickers. You can't boil music down to a label - especially when we're talking about progressive rock releases from the 70s. Some of the albums listed here on PA residing in either Heavy, Symph or related were part of the Krautrock-, Canterbury- and/or psychedelic scene, and they were definitely no strangers to improvising, both on stage as well as in the studio. So for the love of dog, don't read too much into stickers! 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 06:44
Genesis, who are well-associated with sophisticated arrangements, frequently wrote music by way of improv. The Waiting Room was improv even in the studio as I understand. From what I recall from bootlegs, they didn't make rigid renditions of it live either. KC from the Lark's Tongue era improvised sophisticated arrangements, and there is a little sample how that transpired on DVD. They went through sections with cacophony developing later into subtle quiet periods. Often it was musicians who didn't mind listening to each other, overlapping tastefully when it seemed to contribute something. Of course you can improvise arrangemens Prog fans love.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 08:22
I like my live recording of Bruford playing with Genesis--sounds like he's improvising and doing his own thing with very specific arrangements---I know it frustrated the fastidious Banks.LOL
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 13:55
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Personally I don't mind longer improvisation on stage if it's interesting and doesn't overpower the musical proceedings uncomfortably (very subjective, I know). I don't think improvising has a place on the studio albums of the genres that I prefer, which are: symphonic prog, heavy prog, prog metal, and a lot of melodic prog-related. As I'm generally very melody oriented and also enjoy complicated but precisely executed musical structures, improvisation can easily damage a lot of my musical enjoyment and require large amounts of Budweiser to endure.

Improvisations in other genres are not anything I have a particularly strong opinion about.

Well, it depends on what you understand by the term improvisation.  I am not sure there is any consensus so far in this thread on even the point of what exactly is improvisation.   See, the notes on a studio recording may also have been improvised even if they 'sound' composed.  We say it is composed if it fits well with the music but that's not necessary.  E.g. the coda of Starship Trooper is pretty loose and has an improvised quality.  To me, that is the highlight of the track, Howe's playing elevates an already good track.   Speaking of KC, the saxophone solos on One More Red Nightmare don't seem to have been entirely composed either -  at any rate, there is a lot of room left for different interpretations in the way it is structured.  

I am not sure there is any genre that cannot accommodate improvisation as a rule.  I do agree that it depends heavily on the musicians; poor improv can be very off putting as it can come across as show boating.  As Pessimist said earlier, good improv tends to be within certain parameters and if these are more melodic, there is no reason why an improv should include out of tune/wrong notes.  

In the most respectful way possible, I couldn't disagree with you more npjnpj. As I said earlier on, the best definition of improvisation I can think of is simply "spontaneous composition". This doesn't even necessarily mean it's uncalculated either, hence it can be just as melodic as anything composed over a larger time scale than a second. Not prog, but check out Stan Getz. Possibly the most melodic improviser I have ever heard in anything. Bach (and most other baroque composers) were renowned for improvising fugues, which can't possibly work without melodic emphasis. To answer the point on genre, improv by definition can be applied effectively to any genre or subgenre of music, it all depends on the skill and knowledge of the musician.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 15:14
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I like my live recording of Bruford playing with Genesis--sounds like he's improvising and doing his own thing with very specific arrangements---I know it frustrated the fastidious Banks.LOL

Yeah, I agree.

"The nature of Genesis when we’re playing the songs… They have a certain kind of structure. If you’re playing “Robbery, Assault, and Battery” you had to play it as written.  I mean, it’s a song – everything in it has been composed. There is no improvisation in it, but the drummer can always do what he likes within that [structure]. If he can do it, he can fiddle about with it." Tony Banks (from a World of Genesis interview).

Edited by HackettFan - August 11 2013 at 15:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 22:58
Frank Zappa and Jean Luc Ponty - Canard du Jour
Good stuff!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 00:15
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think Bruford was chosen for the tour primarily by Phil because he respected his abilities and felt they could work together...I had an old boot from the tour and their drum duet was fantastic...but I agree that any divergence from the script would have driven Banks bonkers LOL
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 16:35
I'm sure improvisation is often used as the basis for composition, which is fine.

But when something is recorded or played live, I want the band to be totally rehearsed and note perfect and I don't want much improvisation. After all, when I had my new kitchen fitted, I didn't want the workman to say "well I just put all the bits where I felt like it at the time" do I? I want it all putting where I asked for it on the plan.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 18:02
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I think Bruford was chosen for the tour primarily by Phil because he respected his abilities and felt they could work together...I had an old boot from the tour and their drum duet was fantastic...but I agree that any divergence from the script would have driven Banks bonkers LOL

True! LOL

Banks was once asked in an interview if there was ever any improvisation in regards to his solos. Banks typical response was he viewed his solos, or any in the band as "arranged instrumentals."

It seems 'Improvisation" here  has sparked-off a variety of reactions, and all valid ones. I was raised in the rigid confines of a university music department and there would often be endless hours of discussion, savage debates and arguments about Improvisation. We can go on and on like a revolving door trying to define what Improvisation is and to what degree it should be applied. The likelihood of  it then falling into the subjective or personal preference.  There was even a class being offered in the dept. titled "JAZZ IMPROV." There's that word again, "Improv," and was the only class being offered that used that word for its title. In those days it was called "jamming."
After I graduated from that rigid enviroment I discovered that most people (musicians & non-musicians) immediately associated the word "Improvisation" with Jazz, but hardly ever associated it with Rock. My conclusion was that there existed a variety of definitions and associations in regards to Improvisation, but not surprised.

I think of the band "Chicago" that often used improvisation within the structure of their highly successful songs. Namely James Pankow, their brilliant trombone player's solo in the song "Mother" from their third album. Or the song "Goodbye" (Chicago V) with trumpet player Lee Loughnane's solo. Just some examples to ponder on.

Improvisation encompasses much more than we think.

Smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 20:42
For me, it all depends on the context and the ability of the musicians. However, I might begin by saying that I don't usually like pieces that are completley improvised... or I might like them as background music or as part of a record (or concert), or whatever, but I won't feel the urge to hear them again. But to have improvised bits thrown into the songs in live albums often takes the songs to new levels for me, and more often than not I like those versions better than the simpler studio versions (though I guess in many cases the extended bits aren't really improvised, but composed by the band to complement the song... or perhaps they begin like improvs, and then they become a permantent part of the song). In many cases, the studio versions are like incomplete versions of the songs compared to the extended live versions.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 21:59
I don't know if this has anything to do with music but it sort of has something to do with improvisation. When I fkew in the air force sometimes we would have to show the flag in remote areas. This was sometimes done bythe land guys and sometimes by the Canadian Air Force which at the time was known as Air Command. I was flying a fighter plane known as a Freedom Fighter and was instructed to make three low passes over this Inuit community and then f**k off back to my base in Cold Lake AB. I turned it into a full blown 15 minute spectacle complete with rolls, high speed passes, climbouts and a low speed pass waving to the people assembled below. After that I got sent to Australia as an exchange pilot but I caught a bit of flack from the brass. Just a wee bit.

My point is that a performer wants to show off. I guess if you don't want to improvise go and play second violin with some symphony orcestra for the rest of your life. Artists like Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream fascinate me because of the freedom in their music. C'mon what do you prefer the studio version of Deep Purple's Space Truckin' or the Made In Japan version. I rest my case.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 22:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edvSGawh7jQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hey guys. You want rock improvisation? Check this out.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 10:33
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I'm always amazed and delighted with Djam Karet's Still No Commercial Potential, which is apparently all improvisation; though you mostly can't tell!

There is a saying in the jazz world: if people can tell you're improvising then you're not doing it right of course it's to be taken with a pinch of salt...

That could be bad ... that means that Miles Davis needs a lot of sugar, to make it all sweeter!

Confused
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me, it all depends on the context and the ability of the musicians. However, I might begin by saying that I don't usually like pieces that are completley improvised... or I might like them as background music or as part of a record (or concert), or whatever, but I won't feel the urge to hear them again. ...

That would take away from a lot of things that we love ... so Fripp and Eno's Evening Star, or No Pussyfooting ... would be crap ... there are, out there, just as many improvised things as there are non-improvised pieces, and in general, with Eno, Robert is there to just let it fly and go ... regardless, because Eno can work with it!

You really want to go, check out Faust in that krautrock special by the BBC, and that is ... improvisation ... at its ... worst musically ... but at its BEST in experimentation ... and the point usually is ... to find musicality in the piece.

Completely improvised material is just a simple exercise ... again ... start with a 5 year old and a small keyboard and have them bang on it ... and you have to play with it (and encourage the kid to do so and think that this is fun!) ... and what comes out is not musically adept, except in your HEAD ... and you will be able to see the wide gulf in between ... now think of 100% improvisation as a bunch of these kids playing anything ... which is a total anti-thesis of what we think music is!

But to have improvised bits thrown into the songs in live albums often takes the songs to new levels for me, and more often than not I like those versions better than the simpler studio versions (though I guess in many cases the extended bits aren't really improvised, but composed by the band to complement the song... or perhaps they begin like improvs, and then they become a permantent part of the song). In many cases, the studio versions are like incomplete versions of the songs compared to the extended live versions.

I would say that this is over "thought". The extent of the exercises in improvisation, usually tend to meander (actual theater exercise which can be done with music!) for the first 30 minutes. After this, you can see the folks are kinda bored and searching for something. Let them. At 1 hour, folks are really struggling to find something. At the 90 minute mark, you can see that some folks have found something and are working on it ... and one or two others might join them or not.

Only at this far point into the improvisation, after the "freakout" (of whatdoIdo?), do you come to find something to work on ... but most musicians are too lazy to get that far ... they know music and will not learn anything else, except what a DAW will tell them they can do, or better yet ... what Eric did ... or what Jimi did ... or what Chris did ...

There are no rock bands today, working on this level at all! Most are just doing copycat krautrock things, or copiecat jazz things, for the most part!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 21:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

For me, it all depends on the context and the ability of the musicians. However, I might begin by saying that I don't usually like pieces that are completley improvised... or I might like them as background music or as part of a record (or concert), or whatever, but I won't feel the urge to hear them again. ...

That would take away from a lot of things that we love ... so Fripp and Eno's Evening Star, or No Pussyfooting ... would be crap ... there are, out there, just as many improvised things as there are non-improvised pieces, and in general, with Eno, Robert is there to just let it fly and go ... regardless, because Eno can work with it!

You really want to go, check out Faust in that krautrock special by the BBC, and that is ... improvisation ... at its ... worst musically ... but at its BEST in experimentation ... and the point usually is ... to find musicality in the piece.

Completely improvised material is just a simple exercise ... again ... start with a 5 year old and a small keyboard and have them bang on it ... and you have to play with it (and encourage the kid to do so and think that this is fun!) ... and what comes out is not musically adept, except in your HEAD ... and you will be able to see the wide gulf in between ... now think of 100% improvisation as a bunch of these kids playing anything ... which is a total anti-thesis of what we think music is!

But to have improvised bits thrown into the songs in live albums often takes the songs to new levels for me, and more often than not I like those versions better than the simpler studio versions (though I guess in many cases the extended bits aren't really improvised, but composed by the band to complement the song... or perhaps they begin like improvs, and then they become a permantent part of the song). In many cases, the studio versions are like incomplete versions of the songs compared to the extended live versions.

I would say that this is over "thought". The extent of the exercises in improvisation, usually tend to meander (actual theater exercise which can be done with music!) for the first 30 minutes. After this, you can see the folks are kinda bored and searching for something. Let them. At 1 hour, folks are really struggling to find something. At the 90 minute mark, you can see that some folks have found something and are working on it ... and one or two others might join them or not.

Only at this far point into the improvisation, after the "freakout" (of whatdoIdo?), do you come to find something to work on ... but most musicians are too lazy to get that far ... they know music and will not learn anything else, except what a DAW will tell them they can do, or better yet ... what Eric did ... or what Jimi did ... or what Chris did ...

There are no rock bands today, working on this level at all! Most are just doing copycat krautrock things, or copiecat jazz things, for the most part!

Hey, I never said I considered improvisations to be crap, I even said I do enjoy them often enough... just not in the same way I like conventional written songs, and I won't often think "oh yeah, I want to hear such or so improv"... And I'm afraid I don't know those particular albums you mentioned, but I do have some albums with improvs.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 01:00
Here's a thought though:

If, in an artistic sense, a true improvisation were an occurance singular to a particular space and interval in time, the true listening experience would be either:

- to listen to a recording of that improvisation only once and then never again, because through repeated listening you would start to become familiar with what was (and was supposed to be) essentially a one-time occurance, or even

- only listen to it if you are actually there, and never to its recording, because the improvisation truly occured at that one point in time and that one place. Listening to a recording would by its very nature violate the uniqueness of an improvisation.

Nuts, of course, but the artist's world has been known for crazier things than this.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 05:37
Well, I went to concerts where I heard free improvisations without listening to the records (or the videos) later made from these performances... And I don't see what's "crazy" about that.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 10:52

- to listen to a recording of that improvisation only once and then never again, because through repeated listening you would start to become familiar with what was (and was supposed to be) essentially a one-time occurance, or even

- only listen to it if you are actually there, and never to its recording, because the improvisation truly occured at that one point in time and that one place. Listening to a recording would by its very nature violate the uniqueness of an improvisation.

In general, to listen to it back, is ... not a good idea. It turns the whole "learning" process away from your inner attention, to a mental exercise.

In acting, you let these things go, because they work BETTER, when you learn to trust yourself better, and you can not learn about this via memorization ... or it will take years and years. But once you "feel" it, and "know" it, in terms of ability you will be miles and miles ahead of others simply because you have the feel for things that others don't!

The important part of "improvisation" is NOT so much to find out what music you got, as it is to find out INSIDE ... what it is about you and the music that CLICKS ... but we're such a SELF-CONSCIOUS society, that is so afraid of letting go ... like we will lose everything we know if we let go for 10 seconds ... to find out that there is life elsewhere that can teach you about music, and any else you want to know!

And this last sentence is the "secret" behind the great improvisations of some "progressive" folks that we talk about ... that there is a recording is about as lucky as not ... but we're trying to duplicate the invention of the wheel, and this is not what "improvisation" is about ... EVER.

Edited by moshkito - August 14 2013 at 11:06
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>