Topic ClosedMost inaccessible Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Hey, i didn't know Stratos had a solo album!
I must seek it out. I like making weird noises with my voice too, maybe I can pick up a few more tricks.

Well he made twoCool The other one's called Metrodora and just as..... erm experimentalLOL

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 21:23
There are some challenging albums I can enjoy if I am in the right mood, such as Beauborg by Vangelis. I also find Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi trilogy challenging, and some of the Jazz/Fusion of Miles, but again in the right mood, the music is nothing less than awesome.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 00:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Hey, i didn't know Stratos had a solo album!
I must seek it out. I like making weird noises with my voice too, maybe I can pick up a few more tricks.

Well he made twoCool The other one's called Metrodora and just as..... erm experimentalLOL

There's also a live "Concerto all'Elfo" in which he explains what he does (unfortunately in Italian).
I have reviewed it in 2010
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 00:57
It sounds like most people are talking about music that they listened to a number of times but couldn't get into. I'd be interested to hear about artists/ albums that people eventually came to like after a very long time.

It took me a while to appreciate Henry Cow's "Leg End". Nearly all (if not all) of their music is through-composed, so it takes a long time to take it in. I think that's really impressive, but it's very rare for an artist to be able to write a great through-composed piece that feels cohesive, and I'm not sure I feel that they entirely achieve that. In Praise of Learning took a while too, but I absolutely love it now.

Weirdly, Genesis took a very long time for me too. I had listened to Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound so many times thinking, "It sounds like I should like this, but it just isn't very interesting." One day it just kind of hit me. Those moments are really nice.

It's rare for anything to sound great to me on first listen, it seems, but some things take a lot longer than others.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 09:47
Originally posted by N-sz N-sz wrote:

It sounds like most people are talking about music that they listened to a number of times but couldn't get into. I'd be interested to hear about artists/ albums that people eventually came to like after a very long time.

It took me a while to appreciate Henry Cow's "Leg End". Nearly all (if not all) of their music is through-composed, so it takes a long time to take it in. I think that's really impressive, but it's very rare for an artist to be able to write a great through-composed piece that feels cohesive, and I'm not sure I feel that they entirely achieve that. In Praise of Learning took a while too, but I absolutely love it now.

Weirdly, Genesis took a very long time for me too. I had listened to Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound so many times thinking, "It sounds like I should like this, but it just isn't very interesting." One day it just kind of hit me. Those moments are really nice.

It's rare for anything to sound great to me on first listen, it seems, but some things take a lot longer than others.
Same feelings about Genesis. Albums that I've revisited after years are TD Zeit, Sylvian-Czukay Plight and Premonitions, and yesterday I have surprised myself liking Caravan's "The Album"... 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 09:51
This thread has a lot to do with personal taste I guess, which makes the whole thing quite interesting. Most prog musicians are very good, but for some reason, fans rate them good or bad, mostly depending on their personal taste.

I'm not into the Metal side of things, since it's the type of music I don't really like, but I like heavy, melodic rock. All the screaming/growling is something I cannot relate. But I could not dare say they are not good musicians, or that they have no feelings/emotions into their music, it's simply that is not my kind of music, and I'll leave it at that.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 10:45
Well here is the thing. I always loved and appreciate music that has an edge to it, but Death Growls or vocals is really something I could not tolerate at all in one point in my life. Now, I feel that a genre like Tech Extreme has really grown on me. I don't listen to just melodic metal based music anymore. I have grown to appreciate bands like Atheist, Neurosis, Meshuggha, Early Opeth, Dethklok, Agalloch and even Amon Amarth.
I quite love it actually, but melodic death metal is something I am warming up to because I feel I get the best of both worlds both vocally and musically for my edgy tastes these days.

Overall though, the category of Metal is so versatile to ones listening tastes. The ranges are incredible and the more advanced side of metal like Prog metal, post/experimental and tech extreame are incredible categories of music.

But, as I said. It took me a while to get into Doom/metal and Death Metal specifically. It was not love at first listen. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 10:52
Yeah, harsh vocals can take a bit of getting used to. Fortunately I even came to enjoy some of it. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 12:56
There are a few things in my collection that I could do without...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 13:25
Hi,

it's a tough answer, because there are too many things that people use to make their call.

From experience, over the years, I would say Amon Duul 2 is such a band ... and the reasons are quite interesting ... some folks get hung up real bad on the vocals ... and then my favorite ... each piece is so different from the next (specially in the early days), that most folks have a hard time enjoying it ... the "recognizeable" thing that you like in that song, won't be found in other songs! And generally, that is a good prescription for ... a lot of folks. It does not have that "top ten" kind of thing that everyone knows or wants!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 13:52
It took me a long to time to start to appreciate Zappa; he remains one of those artists I enjoy only some of the time and for some of his output. Even with that, there is still a wide body of his work I can get into.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 21:02
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I promise there is emotional Math-Rock. It's just the PR/MR charts are unreliable. 

Look up the band Pretend, and their album - Bones in the Soil, Rust in the Oil. Hope you enjoy. 

Thanks. I will give that album an ear and post later in this thread.

Listened to a few tracks....I wouldn't call it Math Rock...kind of loosely structured jams that the drummer can improvise around with the guitarists leading the four piece along a fairly predictable journey. I kept thinking of the Grateful Dead for some reason....not a bad record, certainly not over produced....under produced, if anything. I like how the guitarists avoid any fuzz/distortion and keep a clean sound....thanks for the heads up.

Edited by schizoidman - September 29 2013 at 01:28
jammindude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 23:19
No hesitation...

Between the Buried and Me

And I say this as A FAN.   It took me a year to even figure out there was A FREAKIN PATTERN buried in all that noise. 

Sometimes it's hard to even figure out why the track markers show up where they do, because you can't pick out one "song" from another, and there's no structure to it anyway (not that's immediately noticeable anyway) so it all comes across as:

Cool riff A
Cool riff B
Cool riff C
Cool riff D
Cool riff E
Cool riff F
(oh, what the hell, we've been doing this awhile, let's put a track marker here)
Cool riff G
Cool riff H
Cool riff I
Cool riff J
Cool riff K
Cool riff L
(another random track marker)

etc...etc...etc.  

But it was the fact that some of those little individual "bits" were really quite cool.   And then after revisiting it for the umpteenth time, I started to notice that there were some repeating patterns that were showing up RHYTHMICALLY.  Then I was like, "hey wait a minute...this is not random...they're doing this on PURPOSE!"  

That's when it really started to click.   Now I'm hooked.   I can't help it.   I'm addicted. 

But it's easily the most inaccessible thing I've heard since Naked City....or maybe Disco Volante by Mr Bungle.  .  
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 00:31
moshkito's posts. 
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 06:13

That was nice. Shame the album's not available anymore. Well, not on any site I've seen anyway.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 06:21
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

That was nice. Shame the album's not available anymore. Well, not on any site I've seen anyway.

Did I post this tune in this thread (I forget things) - or are you just mentioning it as an example of inaccessible music?LOL
And yeah, you're quite right - such a shame this hasn't received a proper re-issue. One of my fave albums located in the much maligned Indo Prog/Raga rock sub.

EDIT: Seems that I didEmbarrassed Wow I was positive that it was in another thread...yeah I'm getting oldLOL

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 29 2013 at 06:22
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 06:26
Yeah, you did.

And don't say you're getting old, 'cause that means I am soon too.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 06:29
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Yeah, you did.

And don't say you're getting old, 'cause that means I am soon too.

LOLYup I saw you hitting the big 3-O here the other day... Just wait for 31 such a fun age! Diapers, wine and tooth aches oh yeah baby!

I'm off to feed the cat now - she's mijaouing like Bruce Dickinson. Cheers!

- Douglas Adams
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 00:41
Once computers entered the picture for editing and recording.. the game was over.  The new prog is the copy and paste generation.

There are kids making prog albums on Garage Band that have never picked up an instrument. 

Put your computers away when it's time to record music.  Pick up your instrument and try to make Close to the Edge, Tarkus, Foxtrot or The Power and the Glory without the crutch of a computer.  Then you'll quickly get a real wake up call and an appreciate for the great bands that came before all this digital silliness.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 01:39

^ In the interests of balance I am contracted to point out that other forms of pointless off-topic trolls are also available.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>