FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 07:54
Yeah pretty much.
I see you've finally caught on to my ways, it's all good I caught on to you and stopped asking why repeat what I said LOL

Deff agree, no more corporatist measures are needed here that's for sure.
Best way would be totally voluntary.

Which is ironically what SS is "supposed" to be.
We make "contributions" to this "retirement account" for "our future" isn't that right???

Edited by JJLehto - May 10 2012 at 07:55
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 07:57
So Aesop has said. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 08:05
Curious:
If that happened, would you support everyone currently receiving SS benefits to continue receiving what was promised?
Or are you one cold sonuvabitch?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 08:33
It's a tricky question. On one hand, the money was stolen from them in the first place, and they were promised that money. On the other hand, the promise itself was void to begin with coming from an illegitimate and criminal action and paying them their benefits would require stealing from others. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 08:53
Exactly why I was wondering.

Probably no surprise, I'd support it. Obviously not the fairest situation to us but eh...call me a softy.
I may be wrong about this assumption, but since it was ruled in courts we don't own our benefits...I guess technically the government would not need to continue paying to anyone.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 08:57
I'd be more in favor of setting up a Social Security Reclamation fund which would exist to continue paying benefits to those qualifying for benefits or within 30 years of qualifying for benefits via charitable donation. After this has been done the organization could focus its already existing apparatus to providing retirement funds to those who have been unable to secure enough money to support their elderly selves but did not live in the Social Security age. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 11:57
I don't know where to put this so it's going here. I just heard this argument put forth by a college professor, a colleague of mine from the Literature department. If I could stand talking to this woman for more than 2 seconds I would have intervened.

Her: "Why is your generation so much dumber than previous ones?"

Student: "I don't think it is. It might even be smarter because of us going to college and having the internet."

Her: "That's ridiculous. Your generation is so lazy and stupid and never will accomplish anything."

Student: "My generation has done things, just look at all the technological developments over the past years."

Her: "What does that even matter? Like you can't have a jet without the Wright brothers. So your generation might build a really fast jet, but that's just something the Wright brothers did. You haven't done anything."

I had to include labels or you would not have known which is the professor and which is the student.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:09
She's just mad because hardly anyone reads fiction anymore, and when they do it's Twilight and Harry Potter. And they're still smarter than she is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:31
Me and this professor previously got into an argument regarding whether Thomas Jefferson was an author of the Federalist papers. I explained that John Jay was the third author. I explained that Jefferson was an anti-federalist and would not have agreed with them on many issues, Hamilton especially. I also explained that at the time of the Federalist / Anti-Federalist argument being written and published, Jefferson was in France. She still kept disagreeing with me. She's a moron. Her favorite book is probably Twilight.

She's also incredibly condescending as you can see.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - May 10 2012 at 12:33
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:38
To be fair, I think the academic ability of the average student has probably gone down. At least listening to every person teaching at the college level I know.

At the same time, I think the "smart" cohort is both larger in number and probably more advanced than my generation. The internet makes looking things up yourself and learning on your own so easy that self-motivated students can really shine.

But she sounds like an idiot.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:46
I think the samples have changed. More people are going to college. THe additional people going over past generations are the marginal students intellectually. So we have more unintelligent or less intelligent people going to college, but the actual percentage has not changed. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:49
Actually I want to change that response. It's not fair regardless. A teacher shouldn't be demeaning a student, insulting them on a bullsh*t basis of race, age, religion, or any other category. A teacher shouldn't be giving a student a reason to fail or removing their confidence. Further, a teacher shouldn't be so plain stupid that they think that they can assert that a particular generation is less intelligent than another purely because they perceive that from their narrow experience.

And on top of all of that, she makes a non-sensical argument which basically says nobody can every contribute anything to society because every achievement builds upon a previous one.

EDIT: And if educators want to complain about a generation being stupid, they should complain about themselves. I've met a handful of good educators in my life - only a handful despite having a lot of exposure to the field.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - May 10 2012 at 12:53
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:52
But I think the actual sum of human intellect is going up. Or culture, or achievement. More people have access to more tools to attain higher achievements. The defining factor in humanity isn't innate intelligence, it's the degree to which we use tools to achieve accomplishments. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 13:07
The internet was a good point. Does that make us smarter? No, but it does provide us with a great means.
Jokes aside, the net is the greatest source of info I've known.

Or pretty much what Drew just said.

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

EDIT: And if educators want to complain about a generation being stupid, they should complain about themselves. I've met a handful of good educators in my life - only a handful despite having a lot of exposure to the field.

Another good point.
You're even more in depth than I, but through HS and even College, few teachers I have really considered quality.
It was better in college, but I was a little surprised at how poor some were at teaching, or just in general.

Talk about condescending! I did get that more at Uni.
This one guy was out to torch our grade (he admitted it without saying it) just to do so...
But it's OK he'll help us write, the right way, his way. Sorry but how does this help me?
Such bullcrap. All because he was published...I actually cited one of his works in a paper of mine. It was fine, but not amazingly well written or anythingAngry

Edited by JJLehto - May 10 2012 at 13:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 13:12
^The net is the greatest thing to be invented IMO. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 13:15
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

^The net is the greatest thing to be invented IMO. 

I could understand that.

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 14:00

Perhaps there have always been people graduating high school with minimal literacy skills but now those folks are attempting to go to college (or at least Community College), mainly because the modern workplace requires those skills.

As a society, we don't have alot for unskilled, marginally educated (but often good folks with good street smarts) people to do. In the past, we needed these folks by the numbers.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 14:10
I think we do, but we're pushing these people into formal academia rather than trade services where there's a need for just these types of people. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 14:19
Since this is the libertarian thread....
IDK how accurate this is but some do say the increasing amounts of federal aid for college are sending more marginal students into the system, when normally they would not be.

I will agree Negoba, a degree is so much more valuable today, there is an incentive to get one even if maybe it's not best for you.
I'm just not sure, it seems there is less of a need for those people (thus a reason to pursue college) but I just don't know what the markets are like.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 14:39
^There's jobs for these people in the trades. Some of them are just dying for workers. Some developing regions in the US in particular are paying huge salaries for these types of workers (North Dakota being one for example).

I don't think there's any doubt that Federal aid programs have driven the price of higher ed sky high.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 294>