Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 17:34
I went on a 2nd wave punk/hardcore binge for a few days:

GBH - City Baby Attacked by Rats - Mean hardcore bolstered by a decent production for the style. Kind of standard fast stuff, but "Passenger on the Menu" deserves special props. I don't know if it was accidental or not, but that song winds up very difficult to comprehend musically as the guitars and vocals suddenly shift from the snare-hits to the bass-drum-hits at such weird intervals. Kinda neat sounding as a result.

GBH - Midnight Madness and Beyond: Haven't played this one in ages. More diverse than CBAbR, but loses some oomph in the process at times. "Horror Story" is groovy with the organ addition.

Raw Power - Screams From the Gutter: "State Oppression" is hands down one of the ultimate hardcore tracks EVER. Just a rabid ferocious blast filled with urgency. Most of the rest of the album can't compete with that masterpiece (man does it hold up well from my teen years), but the slower "Don't Let Me See It" is quite wild and cool as well.

Die Kreuzen - s/t: Psychotic hardcore madness with crazed screaming vocals and jagged riffs. I feel like it must have been an influence on something, but I'm not sure what...

Die Kreuzen - October File: Always loved this one. Lots of Black Sabbath influences seeping into their hardcore, along with actual singing taking over things. Very unique, as most hardcore bands that crossed into metal went the typical thrash or cheesy metal route. Not these guys.

Die Kreuzen - Century Days: At this point they ditched a lot of the metal for a more proto-grunge indie deal without ditching the "loudness". Very flangy guitars abound, and more mellow tracks too. This band had quite a neat evolution in sound as time went on.

Subhumans - Worlds Apart: My fav of theirs, and it's frequently brilliant. "Carry on Laughing" is some next-level of apocalyptic tension, and the musicianship throughout the album is really strong. So different from their early days, except for the lyrics, which are as political as ever.

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing: The influence of this is undeniable, at least sonically. The sound on this album is so BEEFY, and everything is in constant propulsion. It does get tiresome for me these days after a few songs due to the repetitive nature, but it hits like a brick.

The Exploited - Punks Not Dead: I wasn't a fan in the 80s, and my opinion hasn't changed. Too much of an "Oi" sound maybe, and the vocals bother me. "Sex and Violence" must be the most annoying punk song ever.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 18:09
I was listening to a bit of Marillion's Fugazi today in my car. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 18:35
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I went on a 2nd wave punk/hardcore binge for a few days:

GBH - City Baby Attacked by Rats - Mean hardcore bolstered by a decent production for the style. Kind of standard fast stuff, but "Passenger on the Menu" deserves special props. I don't know if it was accidental or not, but that song winds up very difficult to comprehend musically as the guitars and vocals suddenly shift from the snare-hits to the bass-drum-hits at such weird intervals. Kinda neat sounding as a result.

GBH - Midnight Madness and Beyond: Haven't played this one in ages. More diverse than CBAbR, but loses some oomph in the process at times. "Horror Story" is groovy with the organ addition.

Raw Power - Screams From the Gutter: "State Oppression" is hands down one of the ultimate hardcore tracks EVER. Just a rabid ferocious blast filled with urgency. Most of the rest of the album can't compete with that masterpiece (man does it hold up well from my teen years), but the slower "Don't Let Me See It" is quite wild and cool as well.

Die Kreuzen - s/t: Psychotic hardcore madness with crazed screaming vocals and jagged riffs. I feel like it must have been an influence on something, but I'm not sure what...

Die Kreuzen - October File: Always loved this one. Lots of Black Sabbath influences seeping into their hardcore, along with actual singing taking over things. Very unique, as most hardcore bands that crossed into metal went the typical thrash or cheesy metal route. Not these guys.

Die Kreuzen - Century Days: At this point they ditched a lot of the metal for a more proto-grunge indie deal without ditching the "loudness". Very flangy guitars abound, and more mellow tracks too. This band had quite a neat evolution in sound as time went on.

Subhumans - Worlds Apart: My fav of theirs, and it's frequently brilliant. "Carry on Laughing" is some next-level of apocalyptic tension, and the musicianship throughout the album is really strong. So different from their early days, except for the lyrics, which are as political as ever.

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing: The influence of this is undeniable, at least sonically. The sound on this album is so BEEFY, and everything is in constant propulsion. It does get tiresome for me these days after a few songs due to the repetitive nature, but it hits like a brick.

The Exploited - Punks Not Dead: I wasn't a fan in the 80s, and my opinion hasn't changed. Too much of an "Oi" sound maybe, and the vocals bother me. "Sex and Violence" must be the most annoying punk song ever.

i’ve never listened to GBH, I need to get around to that.

I have a Die Kreuzen album somewhere but it’s gotten lost in the shuffle. Bought too long after my peak hardcore period
I guess.

The Subhumans completely rule, one of my favorites. Worlds Apart is only my 2nd favorite of theirs, but only because From the Cradle to the Grave is among my favorite all-time albums, and I’ve often quoted it as my favorite punk album ever. Just played it recently in fact.

The Exploited are pretty dumb, but I do enjoy that album. It’s a high school thing. I always thought Sex and Violence was a pretty fun song. Not as good as Sex Bomb by Flipper, but oh well. I have 3 of their albums in fact.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 22:00

I went on a 2nd wave punk/hardcore binge for a few days

I enjoyed GBH and Discharge at the time. Discharge were rubbish live though, they wouldn’t turn the fuzz box off while attempting to tune up and I couldn’t figure out what any of the tunes were till they were half way through .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
VicRelayer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VicRelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 15:25
Monday 8th April of 2019

Asia: Alpha (1983)
Judas Priest: Sin After Sin (1977)
Blue Öyster Cult: Club Ninja (1985)
Nektar: Remember the Future (1973)
King Crimson: Islands (1971)

Tuesday 9th April of 2019

Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion I (1991)
Asfalto: Asfalto (1978)

Wednesday 10th April of 2019

Scorpions: In Trance (1975)
Wishbone Ash: Argus (1972)
Caravan: In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971)

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 15:34
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

I went on a 2nd wave punk/hardcore binge for a few days

I enjoyed GBH and Discharge at the time. Discharge were rubbish live though, they wouldn’t turn the fuzz box off while attempting to tune up and I couldn’t figure out what any of the tunes were till they were half way through .
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if even the band didn't know what song they were playing at times.

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

The Subhumans completely rule, one of my favorites. Worlds Apart is only my 2nd favorite of theirs, but only because From the Cradle to the Grave is among my favorite all-time albums, and I’ve often quoted it as my favorite punk album ever. Just played it recently in fact.
Thanks for inspiring me this morning!

Subhumans - From the Cradle to the Grave: The epic prog-punk title track is certainly epic, and goes by so well that it feels like 10 minutes instead of its 16:51 length. Still, my favorite off this album is actually "Where’s the Freedom?". The chorus for that one packs such a wallop! "Rain" is another doozy. Yeah, this album holds up bigtime.

Subhumans - 29:29 Split Vision: I used to have this on cassette, and always thought it came out before Worlds Apart, as it sounds rawer. It's not their greatest, but still has mostly good stuff, and I would consider it underrated. "Heroes" is particularly righteous...cool solo too.

Subhumans - EP-LP: Their first 4 EPs compiled in order, offering a great taste of their roots. I always liked their third EP, Religious Wars, the best, as it has a bit more venom and punch to the production while offering some variety concerning the 4 tracks. These guys were my favs concerning the full-on anarchic-punk groups, as I've always had a harder time with Crass, Conflict, The Ex etc. I guess it's cause Subhumans, even at their most abrasive, never got too "tuneless", though I haven't heard enough of those bands to know for sure. I should check them out again. I do like some of The Ex 'Aural Guerrilla' album.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 15:58
^^ yay Subhumans binge!

I can’t even pick a favorite track on Cradle. They’re all insanely good, and flow together so organically well. As for Split Vision and EP-LP, I know those the least. Split Vision seems to be a trial run for Citizen Fish (i.e. more midtempo and reggae), and EP-LP seems to have a lot of the same creative juices at work as in their later developed works, but I just need to spin it more. Might do that as early as tonight. Oh, and the “Live in a Dive” live album is pretty hot too btw.

Oh, and the Ex, abrasive though they could be (a la Crass) stayed together and their albums from the last 10-15 years (e.g. “Turn” and “Catch My Shoe”, my favorites) are quite advanced musically and very engaging - almost (almost!) prog enough to be considered as RIO/Avant on this site, or at least a Dutch Fugazi.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 17:52
Subhumans - World's Apart
Accept - Balls to the Wall
Andy Williams - Christmas Album (We're having a blizzard here. Might as well enjoy it.)

I had to try Subhumans too thanks to your enthusiasm!  Not bad. Reminds me of British Air Power a little.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 19:53
Edited post below

Edited by HolyMoly - April 10 2019 at 20:10

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 20:09
I always enjoyed this Canned Heat live clip

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 20:09
Canned Heat | Future Blues — the last one with Alan Wilson, the high-voiced slide and harp player who was the coolest thing about this band IMO . No slight to main singer Bob Hite, a great frontman, but Wilson provided “Going Up the Country” (not on this album, but you probably know it) and several other similarly unique tunes that provided a cool counterpoint to the more conventional blues/boogie this band had. Wilson actually committed suicide in 1970 just before this album was released, and he practically dominates this album with his unique approach. What a sad loss.

Canned Heat | Boogie with Canned Heat — 2nd album, and first to be a hit. Has Wilson’s first hit On the Road Again, practically a drone/raga blues number, really eerie.

Can | Monster Movie — I love Can.

Don Bradshaw-Leather | The Distance Between Us — Guldbamsen hipped me to this years ago. Still one of those Holy Grail records I’m always hoping to find in a store. Of course I could buy it on Discogs today, if I wanted to blow $500+ clams on it.

The Dead C | Eusa Kills — New Zealand noise rock, one of their early ones circa 1990 or so. One of my favorite bands, this might be their most song-like release, as their albums are normally very abstract and freeform.

Car Seat Headrest | Twin Fantasy (orig 2011 version) — I followed this guy when he was a Bandcamp artist, and this was the first album I heard by him. Though it was his next Bandcamp album “Nervous Young Man” that blew me away. But this is considered his “breakout” album, such that he re-recorded it a couple of years ago with a full band and released both versions in one package in a double CD.

This Kind of Punishment | s/t — also New Zealand-based from the 80s. Very spare experimental post-punk indie rock. Singer/writer/pianist/drummer Peter Jefferies first captured my ear in the early 90s when I was listening to college radio and heard a really gnarly song (“Dear Boss”, check it out). It was a solo track and I got the song title and name and it took about a year to find one of his albums. The albums from his prior band recently went back in print (vinyl) by a cool label called Superior Viaduct, so I jumped on that. Just as captivating as his solo stuff, and having the added advantage of additional collaborators and vocalists, including his brother Graeme.

Ty Segall | Freedom’s Goblin — psychedelic garage rocker with a prolific output (probably nearing 20 albums by now), this 2018 release might be my favorite I’ve heard. It’s really structured like a good double vinyl LP and has a very well produced sound and variety of moods. A good place to start with this guy. He’s done a lot of very messy noisy albums but this one is very tight and consistent.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 20:13
Oh, and there was "more PA-ish" band at the Stamping Ground festival that same day....

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 20:16
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I always enjoyed this Canned Heat live clip

loved that ... thanks! Alan Wilson in action, and the whole band sharing a joint on stage.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 20:27
Airplane and Santana had greats sets too.

I loved this track too...T Rex....also known as the video where a young John Belushi faces down "the can man."  LOL

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 17:59
Subhumans - The Day the Country Died: Seems to be their most well known release, and it's good, but probably my least favorite of their major output. I prefer the EPs for the rowdier stuff, and the stuff that came after for being more adventurous. Dig the lyrics and attitude though.

Crass - The Feeding of the 5000: The thing with Crass I find is that during the listening experience, I often get the urge to stop and play something else. Noisy and not particularly compelling musically, and even the lyrics drive me nuts after awhile with all that constant cussing (I must be gettin' old!). Afterards, though, I strangely feel glad I listened to it. It gets me into a certain mood that lingers that's kinda cool.

Crass - Stations of the Crass: I stopped before the live stuff, as this is a pretty long album. I like the sound of this one more than TFot5000, but it's not until side B that I really get into it, as there's a stretch of cool stuff going on there. "Tired" goes on like this one-chord wonder for awhile, followed by what sounds like a disco parody. And yeah, the lyric yelling is just as amped up as the preceding album.

Loona - Choerry: So when I restarted my car to drive my kids to karate, the music had switched over to this Kpop single, featuring just one member of the Loona conglomerate. The first thing that went through my head: "WHAT IS THIS FRIVOLOUS t**ser MAINSTREAM SH*T FOR THE BRAINWASHED KOREAN MASSES?" A week of anarcho-punk can do that to me. Poor little Choerry, she tries so hard.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 19:49

Subhumans - The Day the Country Died: Seems to be their most well known release, and it's good, but probably my least favorite of their major output. I prefer the EPs for the rowdier stuff, and the stuff that came after for being more adventurous. Dig the lyrics and attitude though.

Crass - The Feeding of the 5000: The thing with Crass I find is that during the listening experience, I often get the urge to stop and play something else. Noisy and not particularly compelling musically, and even the lyrics drive me nuts after awhile with all that constant cussing (I must be gettin' old!). Afterards, though, I strangely feel glad I listened to it. It gets me into a certain mood that lingers that's kinda cool.

Crass - Stations of the Crass: I stopped before the live stuff, as this is a pretty long album. I like the sound of this one more than TFot5000, but it's not until side B that I really get into it, as there's a stretch of cool stuff going on there. "Tired" goes on like this one-chord wonder for awhile, followed by what sounds like a disco parody. And yeah, the lyric yelling is just as amped up as the preceding album.

Loona - Choerry: So when I restarted my car to drive my kids to karate, the music had switched over to this Kpop single, featuring just one member of the Loona conglomerate. The first thing that went through my head: "WHAT IS THIS FRIVOLOUS t**ser MAINSTREAM SH*T FOR THE BRAINWASHED KOREAN MASSES?" A week of anarcho-punk can do that to me. Poor little Choerry, she tries so hard.
My theory on the Subhumans is their early (pre-83) stuff is best digested in EP form. A full album starts to get monotonous. Their later stuff has more variety and texture, and the albums really flow well even though they’re fairly long for punk albums.

I love Crass, but I have to be in the right mood. I like their more experimental albums (eg Christ the Album) where they mixed it up with tape experiments and such. Ever notice how practically every song on the first 2 albums has the same military drum pattern? It’s kinda funny. But even so, super cool band.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 20:02
Subhumans | EP-LP — driving home music. But after 30 minutes or so I got the urge to play:

Subhumans | From the Cradle to the Grave — mind-blowing. Been kicking my ass for 30+ years. The meaning of life in punk form.

The Jam | EP (Absolute Beginners/Funeral Pyre) — nice little vinyl EP with 2 of my favorite Jam tunes

Adam and the Ants | Dirk Wears White Sox — random vinyl pick from the wife’s collection. Very cool post-punk, quite different from the sound he became famous for.

Subhumans | Live in a Dive — great live album with great sound

Subhumans | Time Flies But Aeroplanes Crash EP / Rats EP — “Rats” was the first Subhumans song I ever heard. Still one of their best. Dig the psychedelic coda.

Sloan | Action Pact — since discovering Sloan a couple of years ago, I’m convinced they are everything I’d hoped Cheap Trick would be but never was. This album has 2 of my favorite Sloan songs, Live On and The Rest of My Life.
Awesome power pop.

Buttsteak | Fatty’s Got More Blood — Just juvenile 90s punk, a bit of a whimsical buy back then. Not that great.

Elliott Smith | Figure 8 — first listen to this one. Crafty British guitar pop by a one-man-band who offed himself shortly after. Tortured genius stuff. I’m slowly warming up to it. Sounds nice, definitely.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 11 2019 at 20:58

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 20:26
Canned Heat - same
Blackfoot - No Reservations
Atlanta Rhythm Section - Red Tape

ButtsteakLOL  There's a name.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 21:01
I looked further into that great Canned Heat track you posted cause it’s not on any of my albums. Apparently it’s a bonus track on a later issue of the Future Blues album I have. I’ll have to seek that out now. It may be Alan Wilson’s last song before his suicide. :(

Edited by HolyMoly - April 11 2019 at 21:01

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 21:49
The lyrics kinda hint at challenging times.

I've always loved that song and didn't realize it wasn't on a studio album.  I did find this, which is a cleaned up version of the footage/sound. Somebody must have issued a DVD at some point.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 527>