Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 335336337338339 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 11:26
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I was pretty oblivious in middle and high school. I was a little awkward socially
I can relate to that, although I was (and still am) a geek with zero athletic skills. I could get some attention when I'd bring my guitar though.

In the last two days:
Metamorfose - Tempus Fugit
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Jonas Munk - Pan
Quaeschning & Schnauss - Synthwaves
Fiona Apple - When the Pawn...
Manuel Göttsching - Blackouts
Colour Haze - Tempel
Magma - Merci
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 15:09
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Like you, Signals failed to get the green light from my parents.LOL
i see what you did there

We lived parallel lives, I think 🤔
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 16:02
Fragile and The Yes Album — they ne’er let me down, those two.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 19:11
Today

The Stranglers | The Meninblack — pretty experimental post-punk. Been getting into them lately

Parquet Courts | Sunbathing Animal — one of my favorite modern rock (ok, “indie”) bands. Very versatile and lyrically sophisticated

Supertramp | Brother Where You Bound — always liked this one, though I haven’t given any later ones a shot since their next one “Free as A Bird” was such a turd. Any fans of albums after thisto convince me to venture again?

Cluster | Cluster ‘71 — whoa. I was a late comer to this group but this album is pretty scary. Kind of proto-power-electronics in spots. Later stuff is more mellow.

Drab Majesty | Modern Mirror — new album from a cool dream pop band I’ve been following for a few years. Nothing too special but they have that sound that makes me happy and they get better with each album

The Dead C | The Sun Stabbed EP — early EP from my favorite noise rock group. Still pretty song based (and almost folky in spots, like early Sebadoh but with distortion and feedback), though their recent decades of material have been more abstract and improv

The Pink Floyd | Early Years 1965-67 — first of the 6 amazing box sets (have em all <3). Has a real neat 30 minute segment of abstract studio improv with Syd.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 19:34
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was pretty oblivious in middle and high school. I was a little awkward socially
I can relate to that, although I was (and still am) a geek with zero athletic skills. I could get some attention when I'd bring my guitar though.

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn...

Sam, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Idler Wheel if you go that far.

Also, i was a geek too. D and D!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 19:36

Like you, Signals failed to get the green light from my parents.LOL
i see what you did there

We lived parallel lives, I think 🤔

I'm starting to think so!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 19:38
Mahalia Jackson - Everytime I Feel the Spirit
Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood
Duke Ellington and Mahalia Jackson - Black, Brown, and Beige

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 16:25
So I had listened to Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen and Private Audition already...binged on lots more:

Heart - Magazine: 1st listen! The oddball album that some count and others don't in their discography. Starts off really strong. I was never a huge fan of the original "Without You" though, and hearing this version didn't really change that. Still decent overall, and good to have if you're a fan.

Heart - Dog and Butterfly: One of their best, with arguably  their strongest material overall, but something about the flow keeps this from being my fav album. For instance, "Nada One", despite the great acoustic guitarwork, suffers from following another dreamy epic and preceding the motherlode called "Mistral Wind".

Heart - Bébé le Strange: Okay, I love their first 2 albums, but this may be my fav. Sure there's less of that sweet folk (outside of that nice instrumental), but man this album COOKS. Also, Ann is completely on fire...those high notes in the speedy "Break"! WOW. Even the mellowish ending is comprised of great stuff. 

Heart - 1rst listen! Passionworks: OOF! I like "Johnny Moon" with its cool atmospherics, but here's where the cheese really began. It also has one, if not the, worst songs they ever did with "Ambush". It's like a deep cut off of a soundtrack to some teen-trash flick in '83. Maybe it's just me, but Private Audition was way better.

Heart - Heart: Oh yeah, the big one. Hairspray rock with lots  of big hits. The video for "These Dreams" remains one of the ultimate representatives of 80's cringe excess. You know, despite the goofy synths and dumb big drums, the songs are pretty strong. I think it's a fun album.

Heart - Bad Animals: 1rst listen! "Alone" is probably their most recognized power ballad. In fact, I was enjoying this with all the 80's production tropes and horrific Roland guitar sound, but after the first half (I really liked "There's the Girl"), it gets tiresome with forgettable stuff. Painful towards the end.

Heart - Brigade: More 80's sounding stuff, but with a little less synth cheese (but not by much). At least the rockers kinda rock, with those big simple snare hits leading the mid-paced charge. "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You" has entertaining lyrics.

Heart - Desire Walks On: 1rst listen! Funny, I was thinking that was the Alice in Chains guy guesting on that painful cover of that Dylan song. And I was right! For a 1993, they held on to some 80's attributes (that drum sound...just stop it), but some acoustics are coming back. I didn't care for this album though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 16:38
^
Big "Bebe Le Strange" fan here too, and in fact I prefer it over Dog.
Passionworks is as far as I can go with Heart. The big, new Heart that followed is something completely different and I just don't enjoy it at all. I saw that tour and found it pretty hard to not leave early. 

You've got me wanting to hear Private Audition again!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 02:42

Sam, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Idler Wheel if you go that far.

Also, i was a geek too. D and D!
I'll get there eventually. I really liked the second as well, it's a continuation of the debut but she shows a lot more maturity and confidence. I also bought the debut the other day, so I'll give it a few decent spins too.

I really like RPG's but I never really got into D&D. I've been playing Gloomhaven, a boargame-based RPG, for the last year and a half with the same group, although we haven't played in a while. There's that thing called life some people seem to have Tongue

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

So I had listened to Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen and Private Audition already...binged on lots more:
Man, that's quite an Heart attack Big smile

Yesterday:
Betzler & Brückner - Triplet
Manual - Until Tomorrow
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus (I noticed they'll play in town next week. I don't know much from them but enough to be curious about it.)
Quarteto 1111 - Onde, Quando, Como, Porquę Cantamos Pessoas Vivas
Sensible Soccers - Villa Soledade
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 08:13
^
I hear you. DD pretty much destroyed my education for a couple of years. We'd play in school, blow off our homework. We got super into it, designing our own modules and even character classes, writing our own spells, cultures, et al. My friend was a gifted artist and would draw stunning images to go with our adventures. It was absolutely addicting and fun. I really had to break away and never look back because it was just taking too much time away from life, and we didn't seem able to regulate ourselves. It was all or nothing for our group.

Then, after escaping DD, I fell into another group of friends and joined a band, so I really just exchanged one time-suck for another, and education continued to suffer. But, looking back, both extracurricular activities gave me oodles of memories that go way beyond just "fond." I can't say I have regrets per se, although I know that I may have achieved greater things professionally/financially had I been more willing to set aside "fun" in all its beguiling forms.  Embarrassed

Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Heart - Dog and Butterfly

Awesome album. I am a big Heart fan not purist one. I believe as this was a pleasure

Edited by Arnulf Floyd - July 25 2019 at 08:50
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:05
^^ That happened to me in college, playing MTG, boardgames and videogames with my fellow computer geeks, until one day I skipped a whole afternoon of classes without even realizing it. I felt so bad, the next day I isolated myself to catch up on my work while listening to Porcupine Tree (On the Sunday of Life) for the first time.

I was never a big achiever and even less after my mom passed away. She always had big plans and was counting on enjoying life after retirement but she never got there. I'm all about living a modest life and having good decent fun on a daily basis these days.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 12:53

I was never a big achiever and even less after my mom passed away. She always had big plans and was counting on enjoying life after retirement but she never got there. I'm all about living a modest life and having good decent fun on a daily basis these days.

Wise words, Sam. Thumbs Up None of us are guaranteed the standard 75 years. While X number of people live to 90 or more, there are tons of people who die young as we all know. Planning for one's future and supporting ourselves is good, but we also have to live for the moment. And I'm in total agreement on modesty. I've always lived that way, below my means, even when I had money. Now I don't, so it wasn't as much of a shock when the good money stoppedLOL.  I don't need much to be happy. If I have shelter and basics covered, I don't need oodles of "stuff." The real treasures are of the heart.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 19:30
Thelonius Monk - Monk's Dream
Tull - Heavy Horses
10,000 Maniacs - Live 1989
Steely Dan - Aja

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 21:19

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus (I noticed they'll play in town next week. I don't know much from them but enough to be curious about it.)]
I’ve been digging them lately - they’re a pretty interesting band, I’ve found, hard to pin down.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 21:20
Aphex Twin | Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Thrilled Skinny | They Said We Wouldn’t But We Did
Talk Talk | Spirit of Eden
Gentle Giant | Three Friends
Gentle Giant | The Power and the Glory
Gentle Giant | The Missing Piece

-Kehlog Albran
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 01:50
VDGG - H to HE Who Am The Only One
VDGG - Pawn Hearts
VDGG - Godbluff

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 05:24
I begin to appreciate Seattle grunge bands because they bring a refresh in 90s
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Alice in Chains - Black Give Way Up to Blue
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Alice in Chains - Jar of Files
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 06:04

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus (I noticed they'll play in town next week. I don't know much from them but enough to be curious about it.)]
I’ve been digging them lately - they’re a pretty interesting band, I’ve found, hard to pin down.

Both of us are big fans of the band. Rattus Norvegicus is a great album, but The Raven and The Meninblack are even better. The Stranglers were actually suggested for addition more than once, but their punk connection unfortunately worked against them. Not that it's important - we enjoy them whether they are on PA or notWink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 335336337338339 527>