Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on Eloy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 02:25
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Great band from 1973-83.
After that they suck lol. Metro Thumbs Down

I quite like Metromania even if it goes all very 'eighties' with a big drum sound and production , but the playing and songs still stand up imo
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 16:14
I heartily enjoy Eloy.  I find their first album skipable, and I generally cut off on their early 80's albums.  I find their earlier more psych influenced stuff great, but also love the more symphonic space rock stuff, which yes, did sound extremely Floydian.  Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes is a gorgeous record, despite treading into Wish You Were Here rip off territory at times.  I think they generally did a good job incorporating those (heavy) influences, and I can't say a bad word about their musicianship and arrangements.

Like many others, I find Bornemann's vocals to be pretty poor.  I don't hear much emotion in his voice, but that might be a product of the English language vocals sung in a thick German accent.  If the vocals had been in German, I bet they would have more effect.  Sadly that would have decreased Eloy's exposure outside of Germany though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 16:40
I don't understand all the 'stick' poked at the debut. It's a very good, hard-rock album with Psych touches. Haven't pulled my trash-can LP out for quite a while - I think track 2, Something Yellow, is a killer.......
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 08:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Haven't pulled my trash-can LP out for quite a while
Is it bad that not too long ago I thought it was a manhole cover?
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 20:27
Everytime I listen to 'De Labore Solis' I say to myself "this is such a stunning and unique piece of music!...", even Bornemann's strong german accent adds to the uniqueness of this Eloy's music, as in 'Gliding Into Light And Knowledge' which also has pretty much that exhilarating exotic atmosphere, and so intense too... intensity is one of the prog highlights for me, how I like these songs!... but when it comes to Eloy there are quite a few other freaking favourites, 'Le Reveil Du Soleil/The Dawn' instantly comes to mind... and 'The Bells Of Notre Dame'? - intense delight!...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234