Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock and Roll Hall of Fame's assesment of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 22:42
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I care about as much as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as I have the desire to screw a chimpanzee or hang out at the DMV...Tongue

OK... I hope that means you don't care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at all, otherwise I would be really worried about the integrity of poor chimpanzees.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 10:51
I grabbed this from another site, but I think Ian Gillan's thoughts regarding Deep Purple being elected into the RRHoF to be hilarious...and...rather...dispassionate. LOL

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 11:30
Yeah, I was gonna ask when it would be brought up that Deep Purple have been inducted there too.

For what it's worth, Jim Derogatis' book on rock music in the 1990s - titled Milk It after the Nirvana song - contains a hilarious essay sarcastically dropkicking the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame which was written around 1997 or so. Though at this point making fun of the RNRHoF must be like shooting fish in a barrel!
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 13:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I grabbed this from another site, but I think Ian Gillan's thoughts regarding Deep Purple being elected into the RRHoF to be hilarious...and...rather...dispassionate. LOL

Brilliant.  Tongue

So if they had inducted Yes, I wonder which band members they would have included and which excluded?

thank goodness we are spared the pain of debating those choices.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 13:29

Hall of Fame, Hall of Shame, Hall of Lame! Whatever! --Higher forms of music like Prog rock deserves something much better; we don't need TRRHOF! We have the millions plus world-wide  fans, record sales, and bands that can easily  fill up Wembly Stadiums, Palais des Sport, and other ginormous venues!

Whoever the electors are need to look a little closer and see that Prog has the greatest musicians & artists in the world to exclude so many deserving  that are still around and  still going strong -
 It was nice that Genesis & Peter Gabriel have already been inducted - Its a start, so maybe there still is hope...

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 15:57
Maybe we should start a prog hall of fame.  we can run it out of my basement....it's a very large basement.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 17:33
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The RRHoF can go f*ck themselves.
This.

Yes. It's a joke.

Many of the bands in there don't deserve to be and lots who deserve to be in there aren't.

Edited by Hercules - December 20 2015 at 17:37
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 19:28
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Maybe we should start a prog hall of fame.  we can run it out of my basement....it's a very large basement.

That might work. Most of the fan base is used to living in the basement.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 20:15

That might work. Most of the fan base is used to living in the basement.LOL

true, but it used to be our parents' basement, and now it's our kids'  Shocked
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 22:22
***Perhaps my question was missed first time around but can anyone tell me who nominates the bands and who votes on those bands getting in?***
Is it by the members or the public or what...?

Confused

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 11:38
Uh...13 hours and no one has an answer.....and here I thought PA members knew everything.

LOL
Haquin
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 11:44
I know nothing.  Absolutely bugger all.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 12:02
Looked it up on Wiki...that bastion of truth and info......Wink...

"A nominating committee composed of rock and roll historians selects names for the "Performers" category (singers, vocal groups, bands, and instrumentalists of all kinds), which are then voted on by roughly five hundred experts across the world. Those selected to vote include academics, journalists, producers, and others with music industry experience. Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. To be selected for induction, performers must receive the highest number of votes, and also greater than 50% of the votes. Around five to seven performers are inducted each year."

"The most frequent criticism of the Hall of Fame is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals who are not themselves musicians, such as founder Jann Wenner (co-founder and editor-in-chief ofRolling Stone magazine); former foundation director Suzan Evans; and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once commented that "At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist ... I saw how certain pioneering artists of the '50s and early '60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in '70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today." Sister Rosetta Tharpe is considered "The Godmother/Grandmother of Rock & Roll" by most music observers, but has yet to be inducted, as the influential soul/funk group Tower of Power has not yet been honored.[31]

There is also controversy in the lack of transparency in the selection process. Janet Morrissey of The New York Times wrote, "With fame and money at stake, it's no surprise that a lot of backstage lobbying goes on. Why any particular act is chosen in any particular year is a mystery to performers as well as outsiders – and committee members say they want to keep it that way." Jon Landau, the chairman of the nominating committee, says they prefer it that way. "We've done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent. It all dies in the room."[32]

According to Fox News, petitions with tens of thousands of signatures were also being ignored, and some groups that were signed with certain labels or companies or were affiliated with various committee members have even been put up for nomination with no discussion at all.[31] The committee has also been accused of largely ignoring certain genres.[33] According to author Brett Milano, "entire genres get passed over, particularly progressive rock, '60s Top 40, New Orleans funk and a whole lot of black music."[34]

Another criticism is that too many artists are inducted. In fifteen years, 97 different artists were inducted.[35] A minimum of 50% of the vote is needed to be inducted; although, the final percentages are not announced and a certain number of inductees (five in 2011) is set before the ballots are shipped.[35] The committee usually nominates a small number of artists (12 in 2010) from an increasing number of different genres. Several voters, including Joel Selvin, himself a former member of the nominating committee, did not submit their ballots in 2007 because they did not feel that any of the candidates were truly worthy.[36]

Members of the British punk rock band Sex Pistols, inducted in 2006, refused to attend the ceremony, calling the museum "a piss stain" and "urine in wine".[37]

In BBC Radio 6 Music's Annual John Peel Lecture in 2013, the singer Charlotte Church accused the museum of gender bias, stating, "Out of 295 acts and artists in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, 259 are entirely male, meaning that Tina Weymouth's part in Talking Heads makes them one of the 36 female acts."[38][39] In fact, the actual percentage of woman inductees is a scant 8.5%.[40] Combining all the categories, there have been 719 inductees, out of which only 61 have been women, none of which has been inducted more than once or awarded the Lifetime Achievement"."

I guess that answers my question......

Stern Smile

Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 12:42

same here! Clap  I only know what I do not know.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 12:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Members of the British punk rock band Sex Pistols, inducted in 2006, refused to attend the ceremony, calling the museum "a piss stain" and "urine in wine".[37]

I think this is one of the few times where the Sex Pistols' reaction was too nice. LOL

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - December 21 2015 at 12:52
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 14:24
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think this is one of the few times where the Sex Pistols' reaction was too nice. LOL

Those guys knew when to pick their moments to be tactful.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 14:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

except about WWI.  I do have one very limited area of expertise. Other than that and the complete lyrics to Tales from Topographic Oceans, my mind is one great big blank space.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 14:44
looking forward to hear Phish (or folding hands' Jamiroquai!!) does a memorable honory of playing 'A Hit by Varese' or 'Introduction' and i feel Pankow, Loughane, Parstzaider, Lahm Cetera and drummer (does not remember name) is honoured well for their contribution to jazz-rock. Also a nice post-memorial to Kath . Probably the most versitile band 70s mainstreem rock will ever see (imho)

Edited by Icarium - December 21 2015 at 14:45
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 14:49

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

except about WWI.  I do have one very limited area of expertise. Other than that and the complete lyrics to Tales from Topographic Oceans, my mind is one great big blank space.

that is the great thing of the life of a scholar.. you never rest on what you know.. it is all about what you do NOT know. Clap

I have spent an entire adult life learning about the eastern front of ww2 and still today I am learning new things.  My project now (for a game design) is placing the exact 22 June location of ever single Soviet unit west of the Urals to help make the game design correct and accurate

Also one of the reasons I love my job (except on days when I hate it). You can do work like mine for years (now 20 for me) and still you learn new things nearly every day. A strong...  STRONG appeal to someone like me that feels the need to be challenged and have challenges.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 14:53
I know everything there is to know about cucumbers.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>