Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Queen II or Quadrophenia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Queen II or Quadrophenia?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
51 [45.54%]
61 [54.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 05:15
QueenII contains one of my all-time favorite musical moments - in March of the Black Queen where they sing
"Put them in the cellar with the naughty boys
A little ****** sugar then a rub-a-dub-a baby oil
(aah aah) black on (aah aah), black on every finger nail and toe
We've only begun - begun"
in acrobatic harmony
Makes me giggle and shake my head every time.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 06:24
This would be a closer contest if it were Tommy vs Queen II. I was never a particularly big fan of Quadrophenia.

Queen's first 6 albums really represented to me the core of what crossover prog is defined as. I have never been able to wrap my mind around why there has been so much resistance to their full inclusion.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 14:10
Queen II gets the vote for me.  The first 6 Queen albums are pure purfection...well mostly.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 14:20
Very tough call, but Quadrophenia was in my opinion the culmination work of The Who, while Queen II, as exceptional an album as it was, was only the precursor of what was still to come (up to A Day at the Races imho).
For this reason I voted for Quadrophenia, but Queen II is anyway one of my favorite Queen albums.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 16:44
Originally posted by Dobbie03 Dobbie03 wrote:

Queen II gets the vote for me.  The first 6 Queen albums are pure purfection...well mostly.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Queen's first 6 albums really represented to me the core of what crossover prog is defined as. I have never been able to wrap my mind around why there has been so much resistance to their full inclusion.
< ="text/" async="" ="//s3.amazonaws.com/js-init/1d61f2beb014840140.js">

I think News of the World is great but not as good as their previous efforts, in fact, I prefer Jazz to it. It's closer to albums like Races, Opera and II in style and quality IMO. And their last great album.

And yeah, they're the peak of art rock or crossover prog or whatever it is, I don't know if they ""deserve"" a full inclusion or not, but they're bloody brilliant.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 11:28
Why these albums in particular?

Queen II for me is the sound of a band that hasn't quite found its feet yet. Not a bad album, but I think the music becomes much more focused already on Sheer Heart Attack.

Quadrophenia is really beautiful on a solely musical level even if I can get a bit tired of Daltrey's post-Tommy singing style. Judged as a "gesamtkunstwerk" I don't think it is as strong as f.e. Tommy which is more layered, f.e. with the storyline. My vote would still go to Quadrophenia.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 23:53
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Love 'em both, Queen II for me!  
Yes, me too. Queen II by a hair, a very thin hair.

Queen ii 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 04:20
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Brian may wasted. Would have shone in a Rush type prog metal band...

He probably wouldn't have wanted to be in a band like that. Queen were a band of diverse songwriters, with ecelctic tastes, and of course enormous talent and possibly the worlds greatest rock singer and frontman. I think that would have suited May more, than being pigeon holed as 'prog metal' That would have limited the band to making only a combo of prog rock and heavy metal...obviously..

When people say they don't like Yes or Rush, I of course disagree with them as I love them, but I can understand why they don't like them. When someone says they don't like Queen, I find that harder to understand as Queen had something for everyone across their career, and had an approach to songwriting that think couldn't fail to suck everyone in...sometimes.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 18:40
Queen II, but it's a much closer match than most any other album can put up. Quadrophenia is both excellent in every way and a personal favorite.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 07:54
gentle bump! Tongue
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 07:55
Quadrophenia, 'Love Reign O'er Me' alone cements that
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 10:03

Quadrophenia
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 10:40
Queen II Smile
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 13:28
Since my last comment I think I have moved more towards Queen II, but I like both albums anyway. On Queen II I believe side 2 is a lot stronger than side 1.

This is my take on Quadrophenia btw: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2948085
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 00:33
Both are extraordinary, but Queen II, and especially the black side from "Ogre Battle" to "The March of the Black Queen", has the intensity and compositional quality of a Mercury in a state of grace.
Héctor Enrique
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 00:34
Both are extraordinary, but Queen II, and especially the black side from "Ogre Battle" to "The March of the Black Queen", has the intensity and compositional quality of a Mercury in a state of grace.
Héctor Enrique
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 00:36
Originally posted by Hector Enrique Hector Enrique wrote:

nice post! Thumbs Up
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 02:01
Queen. I've never got into the Who and believe me I've tried. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 03:08
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Why these albums in particular?

Queen II for me is the sound of a band that hasn't quite found its feet yet. Not a bad album, but I think the music becomes much more focused already on Sheer Heart Attack.

Quadrophenia is really beautiful on a solely musical level even if I can get a bit tired of Daltrey's post-Tommy singing style. Judged as a "gesamtkunstwerk" I don't think it is as strong as f.e. Tommy which is more layered, f.e. with the storyline. My vote would still go to Quadrophenia.

this sums it up pretty well for me. Sheer Heart Attack is the one I go to or the live album at The Rainbow which demonstrates just how heavy Queen were at that time (1974)

The 70's is full of bands and artists that had artistic tendencies. I don't believe Queen ever did a full blown prog album while The Who got very close with Quadrophenia. Great synths/keyboards especially which gives it that feel. Queen were famously anti-synths back in those days!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 06:19
Hi,

In terms of "time" and "place", something like QUADROPHENIA is way more important than Queen 2 ... that's not to suggest that Q2 is not a good album, but the context of the music is different and The Who, were much more with it in their earlier stuff, than Queen, who became a very strong band later in their career after their megahit. I would say, in Queen's first 2 albums, which are not exactly bad or poor, the band is trying hard to find their way, and they finally did when Freddie said "screw it" and took over, and his strength and quality with an audience was infectious, insane and excellent, and you can take those 15 or 20 minutes at the really big stage to see one of the most incredible ability and control of an audience ... and he didn't waste a single ounce of strength on it ... he just powered right through it.

You will pay a fortune to see someone do that ... not just an itsy bitty crap prog band! 

However, it is hard to not give The Who the credit they deserve, in our history of the music, even though we don't believe in history and continue to discuss these things as if only the hit matters!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>