Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many listen exclusively to prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 01:17
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

59 year-old here. I was listening to Desolation Blvd. last week. I was in high school when the album came out and I have always enjoyed it. Both Ballroom Blitz and Fox on the Run were big hits and all over the place. Knew a girl we called Blitz because she somehow fits the song - savage on the surface but rather sweet (sic) underneath. I have always thought of Sweet as a good band despite all their bubblegum music and their Slade-light image. And no, I am definitely not all prog all the time. Wildly eclectic in musical tastes but I consider prog at the core, somewhere between all the other rock and the classical, as well as the jazz, that I listen to.
I am also big Sweet-fan, I think I was four or five years old when heard "Sweet Fanny Adams" first time that is still my fav album from them. But Desolation, Strung Up and Give Us a Wink are also really great albums! Liked also that first bubblegum album, I think two last songs in it showed what was coming.

But about this thread, prog, sixties psych (& proto-prog) & postpunk are my fav genres, but I have always listened all the great music from almost every genre, hiphop is the genre I listen the least.

Edited by Mortte - March 04 2020 at 02:07
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 06:47
I'd say it's mostly prog, followed by a lot of classical, a lot of rock, a touch of pop (just a touch) and a smattering of jazz.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 08:28
I used to be one of those people who was just a prog elitist, but it wasn't until I discovered Swans that I branched out into genres like noise rock and industrial rock and neofolk and that. I've been missing out!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 10:02
Definitely not ONLY prog and while some of my top three or four artists find a home in the prog archives database, only one does in a pure prog genre category and even then extremely controversial (Steely Dan).  Others would be Stevie Wonder, Beatles and, from back home, the legend, the composing energiser bunny named Ilayaraja.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 16:53
I have about 50% prog in my collection (meaning listed here, which includes the Beatles and Miles Davis Tongue), and this is probably a good reflection how much prog I listen to. The other 50% are very mixed. I have a thing for experimental/avantgarde/modern composers, a good chunk of art and alt rock and post punk, some jazz and classic, some folk/singer/songwriter, some good stuff that normally files under "world music" etc.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 22:50
My dead dad, (who was a jazz drummer in his spare time) liked some real avant garde jazz...to me most of it sounded like noises made by a random troop of bonobo chimps in a music shop shagging various random instruments...

Edited by M27Barney - March 04 2020 at 22:51
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 06:58
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

My dead dad, (who was a jazz drummer in his spare time) liked some real avant garde jazz...to me most of it sounded like noises made by a random troop of bonobo chimps in a music shop shagging various random instruments...

I suspect you may be (unwittingly) quoting Irish comedian Tommy Tiernan's quip that avant garde jazz sounds like a fire in a pet shop. Your father raised you well.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 07:29
^ That may be true but who was it that said "RIO sounds like a drum set thrown down a flight of stairs"?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:46
Last night, whilst working out at the gym, a slew of 1970s Disco songs came on!  

I am a bit odd in that I quite like much of that era's pop music (as did Fripp, who was supposedly a fan of ABBA).  

This song has a fun little guitar solo!  Prog?  No.  Uplifting?  Sure!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ That may be true but who was it that said "RIO sounds like a drum set thrown down a flight of stairs"?

Chris Cutler.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:58
Really? Who listens to ANYTHING exclusively? How boring that would be

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Thumbs Up
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:34
I think that progressive rock is broad enough that one can listen to it exclusively and still have a broader musical taste than most people.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I listen to sound exclusively. I don't listen to my desk lamp, people's perfume, or the food on my plate.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:45
Pretty much all Prog for me. I wouldn’t have said so before I came to this site, because Prog to me was just Symph Prog. I listened to Zappa for a long time without considering him Prog. Now I do, so... I listened to Jazz like Kind of Blue, but Miles Davis is a PA Artist. I listened a lot to Shawn Phillips, but he is now Prog-Related. Other Folk? Gordon Lightfoot isn’t on PA yet, I don’t think. I listen a lot to a Classical radio station, but I don’t know one composer from another by and large, and I don’t know if it counts not owning it. I listen to who knows what when I’m put on hold. I like Japanese bamboo flute and Native American flutes. I listen to Peyote music fairly often. I like Ragtime too.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:52
Around the time I became a member of PA, I was listening to King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard. They weren't prog then... they are now.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 13:08
Nothing here become officially Prog in a way until it's added to the database even though that still doesn't make Kind of Blue Prog. ;) Oh that complete discography policy and not tagging individual albums.

There's a ton of stuff I listened to before it was adding to the database -- quite a bit of it I suggested or evaluated.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 13:28
prog is only about 20% of what I hear

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 00:16
^Tinnitus is about 20% of what I hear lol
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 01:30
Did anyone in this thread actually admit to only listening to prog?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>