Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Poll Question: Hey Mister, sing me a story!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:28
A further one that I'm not going to nominate, just to add some more German stuff after all the Italian delight.
Actually this band, Kante, were together with Blumfeld leaders of what in the 1990s was called "new Hamburg school", although this song is quite different from the Blumfeld one posted earlier. New Hamburg school was a rather relaxed approach to music (here apparent in the singing, which is more typical for new Hamburg school than Jochen Distelmeyer's distinctive voice in Blumfeld) with focus on the often somewhat intellectual lyrics and message, often melodic (although that's Blumfeld and Kante more than the others), taking in influences from music such as post rock but also singer/songwriter style.

Kante did more sophisticated arrangements than Blumfeld, whereas Blumfeld focused more on voice and lyrics, although Kante have some very melodic voice-oriented stuff as well.

The somewhat sad personal background story to this one is that my girlfriend at the time and I were big fans of the previous Kante album Zweilicht. When this one came out, we heard it first on the radio independently of each other (there was a very similar but less sad story with another lady in an earlier poll). I thought that this is one of the very best love songs I ever heard, with very moving but still occasionally surprising and interesting lyrics, and I also fell for the melody and arrangement. When we met, however, she said (before I had talked about it) "have you heard the new Kante song? It doesn't tell me anything, I'm very disappointed". I was shocked and couldn't make sense of it, because of course I had thought of her when I had listened to it. I tried to ignore this in the following because obviously in a couple you don't have to love the same music. But still, it was hard to accept this. It turned out that actually it was the first indication that I remember that something wasn't quite right anymore between us; the relationship afterwards still went on for a few years from then but other things happened and emotionally the distance became bigger and bigger, eventually leading to separation. Music is important, and now I think it meant something that we disagreed so strongly on this song.
I still think this is marvellous, but I don't connect it to anyone in particular anymore. And I'd say it has a very northern German feel.

I was thinking about translating a few lines, but I don't manage to translate the more original and lyrical stuff so that it comes anywhere near making the same sense in English than in German. The title means "where the rivers sing" and they go on "I want to spend my time with you". This isn't that exciting, but there's also "I want to spend my time with you in the realm of the informal economy where the rumours circulate" and other weird  stuff... hahaha, maybe that lady was right and it all doesn't make any sense. Wink

Edited by Lewian - July 30 2020 at 10:36
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:40
Actually the great thing about this poll is that it makes me revisit all this music that I have that fits the bill. As I wrote earlier, it isn't that much, but I have a very strong emotional connection to every single one of these.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:57
My nomination is still "Jorge Palma - Estrela do Mar". I'm Samuel (or Sam), by the way. I actually don't like my username anymore (it sounded cool when I was 18), it always seems odd to be called by it Embarrassed
I haven't had much time or energy for music lately, I hope I'll be able to at least hear the nominees this weekend.

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I always have the impression that what I have to say doesn't interest anyone.
I always find your posts interesting. Even though we have different taste in Prog, I sometimes find something very much to my liking, like Ut Gret or iNFiNiEN the other day.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

A further one that I'm not going to nominate, just to add some more German stuff after all the Italian delight.
Kante did more sophisticated arrangements than Blumfeld, whereas Blumfeld focused more on voice and lyrics, although Kante have some very melodic voice-oriented stuff as well.

The somewhat sad personal background story to this one is that my girlfriend at the time and I were big fans of the previous Kante album Zweilicht. When this one came out, we heard it first on the radio independently of each other (there was a very similar but less sad story with another lady in an earlier poll). I thought that this is one of the very best love songs I ever heard, with very moving but still occasionally surprising and interesting lyrics, and I also fell for the melody and arrangement. When we met, however, she said (before I had talked about it) "have you heard the new Kante song? It doesn't tell me anything, I'm very disappointed". I was shocked and couldn't make sense of it, because of course I had thought of her when I had listened to it. I tried to ignore this in the following because obviously in a couple you don't have to love the same music. But still, it was hard to accept this. It turned out that actually it was the first indication that I remember that something wasn't quite right anymore between us; the relationship afterwards still went on for a few years from then but other things happened and emotionally the distance became bigger and bigger, eventually leading to separation. Music is important, and now I think it meant something that we disagreed so strongly on this song.

I still think this is marvellous, but I don't connect it to anyone in particular anymore. And I'd say it has a very northern German feel.

I was thinking about translating a few lines, but I don't manage to translate the more original and lyrical stuff so that it comes anywhere near making the same sense in English than in German. The title means "where the rivers sing" and they go on "I want to spend my time with you". This isn't that exciting, but there's also "I want to spend my time with you in the realm of the informal economy where the rumours circulate" and other weird  stuff... hahaha, maybe that lady was right and it all doesn't make any sense. Wink

Kante “Wo die Flusse Singen”  I did listen first, you’d given a hint of the meaning of the song, so I definitely heard that bit of wistfulness in it.  Then I looked at the translated lyrics.  The song is about (to me) how the everyday survival can sap us, how the world we are truly from, the natural one, is where we belong and how when we express ourselves in this manner, we are revealing our truer nature.  And the writer wanted to share that with this other person, which was a high compliment, truly.  I know for many people music isn’t important to their relationships, it depends on what you are looking for in that respect and may be relative to where you are in your life.  I do know, for me, what someone listens to, what they read, what visual art or films they enjoy, are windows into their souls.  So best relationships have had much in common in that way, in my lifetime, for me.  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:06
My nomination is Lluis Llach's L'Estaca, was it only for its historical significance, that still resonates today.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:10
Thank you, both Samuel/Meltdowner and Suitkees.  Duly updated and noted.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:10

Actually the great thing about this poll is that it makes me revisit all this music that I have that fits the bill. As I wrote earlier, it isn't that much, but I have a very strong emotional connection to every single one of these.
  Excellent!  I do thank you for your input and expanding my horizons, as well.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Kante “Wo die Flusse Singen”  I did listen first, you’d given a hint of the meaning of the song, so I definitely heard that bit of wistfulness in it.  Then I looked at the translated lyrics.  The song is about (to me) how the everyday survival can sap us, how the world we are truly from, the natural one, is where we belong and how when we express ourselves in this manner, we are revealing our truer nature.  And the writer wanted to share that with this other person, which was a high compliment, truly.  I know for many people music isn’t important to their relationships, it depends on what you are looking for in that respect and may be relative to where you are in your life.  I do know, for me, what someone listens to, what they read, what visual art or films they enjoy, are windows into their souls.  So best relationships have had much in common in that way, in my lifetime, for me.  

I think you pretty much nailed it, except that there are allusions and double meanings and many words are unusual even in German and usually the strange use means something. Do you know some German?

(Haha, and I said I'm not interested in lyrics... but partly that's true. I'd love the song for the music and sound alone as well.)
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 12:53
Nickie, I was hoping in your opinion about my nominations.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 13:50
Again, it's tough for me to decide which one I want to use for voting.  I like them all.  

I think I'll go with Fred Eaglesmith - "Soda Machine"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 13:56
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Nickie, I was hoping in your opinion about my nominations.
  Oh, I'm sorry I didn't respond to that sooner.  I was thinking that my favourite of these was out of competition (for another reason than Carmen, she being female, of course).  I go with the emotionality of Ivano Fossati.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Again, it's tough for me to decide which one I want to use for voting.  I like them all.  

I think I'll go with Fred Eaglesmith - "Soda Machine"
  Thank you, Mike.  Entered into the list on the bottom of Page 3.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:01

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I think you pretty much nailed it, except that there are allusions and double meanings and many words are unusual even in German and usually the strange use means something. Do you know some German?  

(Haha, and I said I'm not interested in lyrics... but partly that's true. I'd love the song for the music and sound alone as well.)
  I don't know any German at all, I do have a few friends whose native language is German, but that probably doesn't count.  I do know in some languages, there is just no perfect translation for some words or concepts, though.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 17:01
mathman: Mark Etzel is my winner among yours. Very nice and atmospheric, the other two rather sound as if I heard much of that stuff already (ignoring lyrics of course).

Meltdowner: Estrelo dol Mar is very good and dreamy; Ja chega de ilusoes is a bit of a mess, no?

jamesbaldwin: Francesco de Gregorio: Inventive and surprising, but the turn this takes in the second half isn't my cup of tea. The song of Ivano Fossati works much better for me, very emotional and well balanced between calm verse and more energetic chorus. John Hiatt's song is much more predictable than the Italians, so Fossati is the clear winner here. Carmen Consoli: This isn't exactly an instant winner for me, but at least makes me curious of her other work.

There's too much stuff in life, probably I have no chance to get through them all before the poll begins.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 17:06
I think I'll stick to my first nomination, Sufjan Stevens - Should Have Known Better.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 17:28
TCat: Can't watch your Ariel Ramirez video, but this one works for me:

Actually that's my number one of yours, I like the relaxed mood.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 17:43

I think I'll stick to my first nomination, Sufjan Stevens - Should Have Known Better.
  Thank you, Lewian, updated and also thank you for the help with Mike's Ariel Ramirez video.Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:01
My choice for this will be Richard Shindell, but I want to give you alternates of all three of my picks, this time. This is another serious song, by Richard Shindell it fought hard against "Wisteria," to be what I brought of his this time.  This is "You Stay Here"  

A story of someone I think we all have known, from John Gorka, "The Sentinel"  

Lastly, how Todd Snider broke into the big time.  A great homage to Bob Dylan, too.  "Talking Seattle Grunge Rock Blues""
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:59
if Nick Drake is taken, does Frankie Miller fit the bill? Smile

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:08

Ja chega de ilusoes is a bit of a mess, no?
I guess without understanding the lyrics it is, although it ticks all the Prog boxes, but it makes sense especially in the concept of the album.
In a few words, he gives up his youthful dreams to try to fit in an oppresive society but at this point he's tired of illusions (as the title says) and he's angry at society and himself, about how it shaped his life and how foolish it was to believe in their old-fashioned ways.
I guess getting into this album when I was realizing that myself made me connect with it even more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>