Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd and the Great Labeling Wars of '20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:46
@The Dark Elf

Oh dear me, the U.S. Psychedelia from 1975! Shocked

Relatively Clean Rivers - "The Persian Caravan" (1975)

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:52
Frankie Yankovic, A Polka Christmas, 1975. Sold more albums than Relatively Clean Rivers....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 09:06
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Frankie Yankovic, A Polka Christmas, 1975. Sold more albums than Relatively Clean Rivers....

Bah,"video is not available". So check out this "polka"with Floydish intro:

Tako - "U vreci za spavanje (1980)

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 09:27
@The Dark Elf

JEEZ! Another psychedelic rock song from 1975, even live! Shocked

Can - "Chain Reaction" (1975)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 10:10

Frankie Yankovic, A Polka Christmas, 1975.

Not related to "Weird" Al Yankovic, in case anyone was wondering. Wink
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 10:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Hey what about really weird Mr Nilovic, a Montenegrin who was playing psychedelic funk & soul in Paris' clubs in the mid-70's and had called his track "Drug Song" (lol, his native Monte Negro is like Balkan Colombia now).

Janko Nilovic - "Drug Song" (1975)

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 10:53
@The Dark Elf

Holy smoke!!! Shocked
This cheeky polka from 1974 features a rotor blades noise, five years before "The Wall", and then comes an electric guitar solo that even David Gilmour wouldn't be ashamed of! Shocked

Trio Dah - "Veliki cirkus" (1974)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 11:33
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Not related, but in a weird way he is related:

"["Weird" Al] Yankovic's first accordion lesson, which sparked his interest in music, took place on the day before his seventh birthday. A door-to-door salesman traveling through Lynwood offered his parents a choice of accordion or guitar lessons at a local music school. Yankovic claims that his parents chose the accordion over the guitar because "they figured there should be at least one more accordion-playing Yankovic in the world", referring to Frankie Yankovic, to whom he is not related."

P.S. Babaloo, you don't understand English, stick with Serbian. You keep posting non-entities. 
No one said psychedelic music disappeared after 1970, it was just no longer popular for a worldwide
audience (not just Srebrenica). And every video you keep posting of disbanded and dead-broke Eastern 
European bands proves my point. 

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 12 2020 at 11:40
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 12:03
@The Dark Elf

Holy cow! Magic mushroom on 1979! Call 911!Shocked

Igra Staklenih Perli (ISP) - "Pecurka (Mushroom)" (1979)

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 12:20
^ You do realise that you are spending a considerable effort arguing a minor point that has nothing to do with Pink Floyd?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 12:31
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

^ You do realise that you are spending a considerable effort arguing a minor point that has nothing to do with Pink Floyd?

Clap
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 20:36

Not arguing, just debate.

Well, I have read more than once a falsehood that Psychedelia has ceased to exist in the early 70's. It has been often utilized as an argument in Pink Floyd labeling debates, like "since Psychedelia didn't exist in the 1970s, then neither Pink Floyd were psychedelic in that decade". It's simply not true, thus that fabrication have to be dismissed.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 20:48
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Not arguing, just debate.

Well, I have read more than once a falsehood that Psychedelia has ceased to exist in the early 70's. It has been often utilized as an argument in Pink Floyd labeling debates, like "since Psychedelia didn't exist in the 1970s, then neither Pink Floyd were psychedelic in that decade". It's simply not true, thus that fabrication have to be dismissed.

Babaloo, 
No one said psychedelic music ceased to exist after the early 70s, that is only a figment in the cobwebbed recesses of your mind. It was no longer popular, and bands moved on to other forms of music. if you can't understand the larger English words, perhaps a barista at the Starbucks in Belgrade can read it for you:

Definition of popular (antonym,"pysch" after 1973)

1of or relating to the general public
2suitable to the majority: such as 
A. adapted to or indicative of the understanding and taste of the majorityB. Albums purchased by a wide swathe of the public worldwide, and not just by a drunk Serb listening to a weekend band playing dive bars in Montenegro
C. Bands that shifted from psychedelia at the end of the 1960s due to a shrinking market, and the rising popularity of prog rock, hard rock and glitter in the period between 1969-73 (see Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, King Crimson, T. Rex, Pink Floyd, Genesis, The Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Santana, Frank Zappa, The Rolling Stone, Tangerine Dream, The Beatles, etc.)
3frequently encountered or widely accepted and purchased
A. Progressive Rock albums in the period between 1971-1975 (but not so much 1975-77)
B. Psychedelic albums in the period between 1966 -1970 (but not as much between 1971-1972, and hardly at all after 1973)

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 12 2020 at 20:52
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 22:23
@The Dark Elf

Hadn't you written this on the second page of this thread?

As many of us stated elsewhere, over and over for years, if you were there in 1973 when DSotM was released, no one called it "psychedelic". Psychedelia went out with The Doors, Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 22:39
@The Dark Elf

omgwtf! Gong were playing psychedelic rock in the 70's as well! Shocked

"Other Side of the Sky" (1973)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 22:45

@The Dark Elf

Hadn't you written this on the second page of this thread?

As many of us stated elsewhere, over and over for years, if you were there in 1973 when DSotM was released, no one called it "psychedelic". Psychedelia went out with The Doors, Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix.
As a popular music form, it was "out". I am not sure what it is you don't get. Morrison died, but really LA Women was far more blues and jazz based than previous albums. The Beatles on Let It Be and Abbey Road had for all intents and purposes abandoned psych, Jefferson Airplane had disbanded and reformed as Jefferson Starship by 1973 (and Jefferson Starship was not psychedelic), and Hendrix was heading into funk and jazz by the time he died (as evidenced by Band of Gypsys).

And no one referred to Dark Side of the Moon as a psychedelic album back then. It was recognized as a step beyond the old Floyd psych, they had emphatically changed their sound, compositional style and presentation. They had matured as songwriters and composers, and had mastered the studio. And I also said it wasn't referred to as "prog" either, because no one really used the term in 1973. But if there was a definition for Floyd's sound as they moved from DSotM to WYWH to Animals, it is progressive rock, not psychedelic. They had abandoned the "Several Small Species of Furry Animals Huddled in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" and "Allen's Psychedelic Breakfast" psych juvenility and became serious musicians.

@The Dark Elf

omgwtf! Gong were playing psychedelic rock in the 70's as well! Shocked

It is evident you are simply too vacant to continue this conversation. I'm out. 

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 12 2020 at 22:50
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 00:07
@The Dark Elf

"And what the fans waited for was well worth it. When Gilmour calmly said, "House lights, please", Pink Floyd opened a truly psychedelic show - and dozens of little lights flickered in the audience and that funny smell was ubiquitous."
from The Pittsburgh Press' "Pink Floyd - Music For The Mind" article - review of Pink Floyd concert in Pittsburgh, on June 20 1973, by Pete Bishop

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:06
Back to the usual carpet bombing approach to posting with zero rationale discussion.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:59

They had abandoned the "Several Small Species of Furry Animals Huddled in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" and "Allen's Psychedelic Breakfast" psych juvenility and became serious musicians

For me "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" is just as serious music as f.e "Time" or "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 08:44

But if there was a definition for Floyd's sound as they moved from DSotM to WYWH to Animals, it is progressive rock, not psychedelic. They had abandoned the "Several Small Species of Furry Animals Huddled in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" and "Allen's Psychedelic Breakfast" psych juvenility and became serious musicians.

I certainly agree with your point but I do like Several Species and Psychedelic Breakfast a lot.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>