Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is 'Rumours' by Fleetwood Mac severely overrated?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 'Rumours' by Fleetwood Mac severely overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 13:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I think it would be cool to have Fleetwood Mac on my prog channel though, even though they're not prog. Smile

are you promoting your youtube channel? Not cool man, not cool. LOL
Deja Vu? Call me uncool then for shamelessly promoting my prog channel with your help. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 13:10

^ I think it would be cool to have Fleetwood Mac on my prog channel though, even though they're not prog. Smile

Deja Vu? Call me uncool then for shamelessly promoting my prog channel with your help. Smile

UNCOOL!
my help? at least you admit you are shamelessly promoting your youtube channel. 
A shame i am the only one to object here. Ouch LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 13:40

UNCOOL!
my help? at least you admit you are shamelessly promoting your youtube channel. 
A shame i am the only one to object here. Ouch LOL
So What's New!? Smile
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 13:43
How can a gem possibly be overrated?

We're talking about this!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 04:50

I just read this interesting article about Fleetwood Mac on KOOL.FM today.....

"If you go back to their beginnings, they were a blues band, with the legendary Peter Green on guitar and vocals.  But there's a middle period of time when Fleetwood Mac sounded more like a 'progressive rock' band."

"You may have seen some press in the past week or so about the death of Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Weston at the age of 64.  And you probably thought, WHO?  Weston is the inventive guitarist who replaced Peter Green.  His licks are definitely spacey and progressive in sound."

On that basis, I've decided to add Fleetwood Mac to my Prog Britannia YouTube channel. Smile
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 14:20
I have tried, but I can't really get into the in-between period with Bob Welch. It remains a mystery to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I have tried, but I can't really get into the in-between period with Bob Welch. It remains a mystery to me.
It also remains a Mystery to Me how they came up with that bizarre album cover for Bob Weston's last album with Fleetwood Mac. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 08:08

I just read this interesting article about Fleetwood Mac on KOOL.FM today.....

"If you go back to their beginnings, they were a blues band, with the legendary Peter Green on guitar and vocals.  But there's a middle period of time when Fleetwood Mac sounded more like a 'progressive rock' band."

"You may have seen some press in the past week or so about the death of Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Weston at the age of 64.  And you probably thought, WHO?  Weston is the inventive guitarist who replaced Peter Green.  His licks are definitely spacey and progressive in sound."

On that basis, I've decided to add Fleetwood Mac to my Prog Britannia YouTube channel. Smile

dear God man...  

Weston did not replace Green...  he replaced if can you call it that Danny Kirwan.. and Weston was more noted for the sordid (it was Fleetwood Mac after all) details of his firing that any musical contributions he made for the one album he played with them on.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 09:11
I barely even recognized the Name Bob Weston, and had to look up his history with the Mac.  Apparently he was only on 2 albums - "Penguin" and "Mystery to Me".  I had forgotten that "Penguin" even existed, and don't think I have ever heard more than a song or two from it, back in the 1970s
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 11:26
Yes...Weston was really nothing to rave about...a mediocre replacement imho.
I recall first hearing someone play Penguin in a billiards hall/pinball arcade in college in late 73 and it was pretty boring for the most part...I bought Mytsery and Heroes later but never got Penguin and still don;t have a copy on vinyl.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 16:07
Penguin did have probably the single most prog song they ever did, even with the kick ass 'tron, so that makes it a bit of a semi-essential prog curio.. 

and a great song it was. 

but yeah..  it was a strange album.. a real transition .. from Kirwan being a primary songwriter and THE primary musical focus to going to Welch's more jazzy inclinations on those last few albums he was with them.

Edited by micky - November 22 2020 at 16:08
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 10:58
After hearing songs from the album played relentlessly on the radio during the first summer of its release, I can say today that Rumours would be a much better record if "Go Your Own Way" and "Don't Stop" were replaced with "Silver Springs", the Stevie Nicks song that was relegated to a B-side. (And I say this as someone who tolerates Nicks and considers Lindsey Buckingham a true songwriting genius.) 

Also, count me among those people who consider the Tusk album to be an immaculate masterpiece, and the best thing the band has ever done. I would not change one note.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 17:52
I personally think Stevie Nicks' songs are the most interesting ones on Rumours. Especially "Dreams" where the music fits the mood of the lyrics perfectly. Especially with its tonal unstability, or "uncertainty". You can hear it as switching forth and bach between the subdominant and dominant (except in the instrumental break) without reaching the tonic, and that's quite a daring thing to do. Or as the relatively rare mode of lydian. Or as aeolian with the tonic only appearing in the instrumental break.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 21:21
It's not overrated in that I haven't seen too many people say it compares to the most influential albums of that decade. Yes, it sold really, really well which was a combination of its accessibility, consistency and production. The least good songs on Rumours are still just insubstantial, not BAD. And it has at least four great tracks - Dreams, Chain, Oh Daddy and Gold Dust Woman. I prefer the live cut of Go Your Own Way which is more rocking.

Personally, I prefer Future Dreams. But Rumours was clearly about a band trying to score a hit without really going THAT commercial (compared to say ABBA or disco). And it achieved that goal splendidly. While it is not a patch on the classic Pink Floyd albums, what it does have in common with them is an edge, a mystery that comes through on tracks like Chains. It's not all sweet candy. It rocks and has a soul.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 02:11
It's a very good album. It was their DSOTM, I guess in terms of commercial breakthrough and importance in their catalogue, and in defining their sound with Buckingham/Nicks.

I think Tusk is somewhat over praised, usually by people who think Rumours is very overrated, but I've always found it lacking in quality songs.

There's some gems on later albums; Mirage and Tango in the Night. Gypsy is probably my favourite Nicks song. Her performance gives me goosebumps on that track.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 04:44
Yeah, I think "Tusk" is the more overrated one.. I like "Rumours", and I think it gets a lot of praise because there's no junk on it, but outside of "The Chain" there's nothing GREAT like "Dark Side of the Moon" which is all GREAT.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 05:11
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Yeah, I think "Tusk" is the more overrated one.. I like "Rumours", and I think it gets a lot of praise because there's no junk on it, but outside of "The Chain" there's nothing GREAT like "Dark Side of the Moon" which is all GREAT.
I totally agree on the overly-long "Tusk" double-album, which would have been much better released as a single album without Lindsey Buckingham's demos recorded in his garage. Confused 

As for "Rumours", it's my favourite Fleetwood Mac album and I love all the songs on there, so I don't think it's overrated at all. Thumbs Up

3 stars Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (1968)
 3 stars Mr. Wonderful (1968)
 4 stars The Pious Bird of Good Omen (1969)
 4 stars Then Play On (1969)
 4 stars Kiln House (1970)
 4 stars Future Games (1971)
 4 stars Bare Trees (1972)
 3 stars Penguin (1973)
 3 stars Mystery to Me (1973)
 4 stars Heroes Are Hard to Find (1974)
 4 stars Fleetwood Mac (1975)
 5 stars Rumours (1977)
 4 stars Tusk (1979)
 5 stars Mirage (1982)
 5 stars Tango in the Night (1987)
 4 stars Behind the Mask (1990)
 4 stars Time (1995)
 4 stars Say You Will (2003)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 09 2021 at 05:18
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 06:34

I totally agree on the overly-long "Tusk" double-album, which would have been much better released as a single album without Lindsey Buckingham's demos recorded in his garage. Confused 

Well I love the Buckingham songs on Tusk, personally I would have kept them and the Stevie Nicks songs and gotten rid of the McVie ones.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 06:35
no, it's not overrated
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 06:52
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

no, it's not overrated

I agree, though I just prefer it's eponymous predecessor, but would rate both albums 5/5 stars.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>