Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Genre Charts at Progfreak.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 01:18
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

One good example: progressivemusic.com is available! I would take that in a heartbeat. But it costs 90,000 EUR ... such a shame. Someone purchased the domain a long time ago and is holding it hostage, waiting for someone to cash them out.
90,000K? lol to the domain holder; good luck and god speed to him or her xD

I'm going to bed, soon, so I'll respond later with a a more elaborate response

One big problem is that RYM DOES exist, as does the Progarchives, the Metal Archives, and dozens of other sites. The fact that RYM is so enormously large is why it's so hard for the other sites to compete - it can do everything that pretty much every other site does, and it's flashier (although I think it's ugly af), with unmatched social features - that's what they have going that no other site going to be able to match. Ever - and that's because of two reasons - RYM already has such a large community, and that community itself isn't as large as it may appear in the sense of member retainment. The typical user on that site is a teenager. There are not as many adults proportional to its size as the other sites, such as the Progarchives, which is not really a good thing. The other reason is social media. Forums have decreased in popularity since Facebook, Myspace (RIP - I was never old enough to actually use that site before it died lol), Twitter, etc. have essentially taken over our lives (although to be fair I do not own a single social media account, hence why I still use forums). Reddit and RYM, nowadays, act more like social media than any (other) music database.

In any case, RYM is horrendously moderated, as is Reddit. The Metal Archives. The larger the site, the worse the moderation is - and there's likely a correlation; just a like a larger, more powerful government tends to be more corrupt, "Reddit/RYM Mods" are basically the online equivalent. So I would consider the small community on the Progarchives, TagYourMusic, Metalstorm, etc. to be a blessing.

I will admit that I do use TYM over many of the other sites because of the tagging capabilities and the collection features, but the forum and community on the Progarchives is better than on TYM, which is why I use this site - and TYM will likely never be able to obtain a community as large as the Progarchives, largely because the Progarchives already exists. Just like the MetalMusicArchives will likely never reach the popularity of the Metal Archives, because the latter exists already. I don't know where I'm going with this but I digress, I guess. Nighty night!

Edited by bardberic - June 01 2023 at 01:20
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 01:51
^ Agreed. Smaller is better. PF was really cool around 2012 ... lots of PA users would also rate and tag releases there, and all was well. We were around 50 active users, and that was great! My vision for PF/TYM is not to become the biggest music website. Just a little bigger will do just fine. It can be a small club of music nerds, that would be ideal Cool
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 02:40
BTW: Here's RYM in 2010. They did not have tagging back then, AFAIK all users could do was to rate, review, put releases in collections and create lists. Not saying they copied PF since then, just saying that I had the tagging system in 2007 Cool

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - June 01 2023 at 02:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234