Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreatest review ever written here:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 19:43
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

OPETH Blackwater Park progressive rock album and reviews Progressive Metal
(Studio Album, 2001)
OPETH "Blackwater Park"
Review (Permanent link) by Chinwag Shall We
Posted 7:33:04 AM EST, 11/29/2005

5 stars   BLACKWATER PARK by OPETH is a concept album, and their debut with DREAM THEATER. The album includes the presence of STEVEN WILSON, singer and piano player of DREAM THEATER who also influences the band. He is very innovative.

Unlike OPETH's previous efforts(without STEVEN WILSON), this shows no sign of concept - the tracks are seperated and not tied up together like it was in MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE, and you have to read the lyrics to get the message, and sometimes even think about it yourself. The album tells us about the real, cruel, brutal world. It isn't just an imaginery story, because our today's world is really cruel and brutal, and real. Personally, I always imagine two little yellow-haired children going to a DEATH METAL concert. They are not special children, just normal two kids with yellow hair and love for true powerful music that possesses power. Of course, no story is without adventure and danger, and two children die during THE FUNERAL PORTRAIT and are buried during BLACKWATER PARK.

The songs are very diverse, yet follow a certain depressing mood. They show deep influence of such bands such as KING CRIMSON. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, showing all aspects of today's cruel, brutal and real life. Yellow-haired kids who like DEATH METAL are confronted with lepers, who they are forced to enter winter naked with, and I think it is a very evil song, that shows how children must avoid strangers. Bleak, the second song, has STEVEN WILSON who sings together with OPETH LEADER. The ending is very violent, very real and brutal, and the parts in the middle sometimes make me cry, being so emotional. However, this is the only song where DREAM THEATER and OPETH sing together. This is explained by the difference in style of the two bands. Harvest has no DEATH METAL in it, and is a big surprise. It shows diversity, the genre has inherited from KING CRIMSON and ETC. The next two songs are also surprising, as DEATH METAL only appears only later. And the last two real songs are tragic and brutal, and they are full of DEATH METAL with powerful guitars. I also find it funny that the drummer is called "LOPEZ". I think that way OPETH try to say how they despise POP MUSIC, that was created by beatles and other stupid hippys.

And what makes him belivie they played with Dream Theater?

ohhhh my god, I'm so glad someone else noticed that review as well!!!!!! I hope the whole thing is a joke... cuz I was like DT?! OPETH?! JENNIFER LOPEZ?! WTF'S WITH THIS GUY?! hahahaha stop doing drugs, kids, Uncle Morty's tip of the day *wink*
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 20:37
Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

What's everyones favourite review here so far?

Here's some of my favorites:

DREAM THEATER Train Of Thought progressive rock album and reviews Progressive Metal
(Studio Album, 2003)

DREAM THEATER "Train Of Thought"
Review (Permanent link) by ProgressiveVoyage @ 6:39:36 AM EST, 10/20/2005

1 stars   In 1979, Dream Theater performed for the first time an album they called Master of Puppets, later illegally downloaded by Metallica and recorded as a studio album. In response, Dream Theater released Train of Thought, to show that they were blatantly the creators of all of Metallica's riffs. Similar things happened with Tool and Muse.

So Train of Thought is A re-release of Master of Puppets.

KING CRIMSon In the Court of the Crimson King progressive rock album and reviews Symphonic Prog
(Studio Album, 1969)
KING CRIMSON "In the Court of the Crimson King"
Review (Permanent link) by ProgressiveVoyage @ 7:09:16 AM EST, 10/20/2005
5 stars   King Crimson began their days as a variety act led by Robert "Tony Visconti" Fripp known as "King Crimson And His Amazing Coconuts". Fripp was well-known for opening his concerts by saying, "I'm King Crimson, and these are my Coconuts!" A few years later, the band was railroaded by John "Moneyman" Wetton, who forced them to smash their wind instruments and go totally metal. This made Fripp so tired that he went into a deep sleep for five years. When he woke up, he found that a curse had been placed on him that would cause any band he touched to become King Crimson. The first and only victim of this curse was the Talking Heads. Fripp now wears rubber gloves, and it apparently counteracts the effect quite well.

But this is a masterpiece, so buy it!

;)
ZAPPA, FRANK one Size Fits All  progressive rock album and reviews RIO/Avant-Prog
(Studio Album, 1975)
ZAPPA, FRANK "One Size Fits All "
Review (Permanent link) by ProgressiveVoyage @ 7:03:58 AM EST, 10/20/2005
5 stars   Zappa's later career is most well known for his work, The Invention of Mothers in which he traces, in poetic form, the role of Satan in the fall of Eve and therefore in the beginning of sexual reproduction in humans. Zappa has a lot of followers in stavanger, a space-colony of Norway.

Essential !!!!!

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (ELP) Love Beach
Review (
Permanent link) by Matt @ 2:16:09 PM EST, 5/25/2004

1 stars  —  LOVE BEACH???.... LOVE beach???..... love BEACH???..... love beach???..... (WTF?) Love Beach??? Waitaminutewaitaminute....LOVE BEACH??????? I'm sorry, for a moment I thought you said Love Beach..... Really!!! You're kidding!!! LOVE BEACH????? (OK, this isn't much of a review, but this isn't much of an album.)
GENTLE GIANT Giant For A Day
Review (Permanent link) by Octafish @ 8:47:00 PM EST, 1/17/2005

1 stars  —  No, No, No, No, NO!!! Gentle Giant playing bad-quality pop?...YUCK!!!! But wait a minute, let's see if there are some positive sides about this album...mmmm...let's see...mmm...NOPE! Sorry! NO POSITIVE SIDES!!! The only reason i give this album one star is because of the Gentle Giant name!!! Nothing more!! For completionists ONLY!!!

DREAM THEATER Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Review by Malkishuah @ 11:54:01 AM EST, 4/17/2005

5 stars  —  This is indeed one of Dream Theaters greatest albums. I will reffer an anlysis later on maybe, but for now i would like to point out the amazing unconcidential connection between Dream's best albums.. Well at first notice the connection between the music in Images and Words and the Storyline and Music in Scenes From a Memory, later on the realation between the Metropolis from Awake and the beats and Music in Hone from Scenes... if you get in it for real it's truely amazing whats going on there. And last, notice the incredible corolation and similarity between the end of Scenes, and i quote:"nan nan ana 'wake up Nicholas'.. -'ahhhh' - chrshhshshshshshshshsshshshshsshhshshshshshsshsh...", and the begining of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, in Glass Prison, and I quote:"...shhhschshcshschschshschschchsshchhcsc dong... shdshhdshshhchschsch dong....." and so on. is it not incredibley funky? i mean shat.

DREAM THEATER Train Of Thought progressive rock album and reviews DREAM THEATER - Train Of Thought (2003)
Review by 23Skidoo @ 7:29:00 PM EST, 5/20/2005
0 stars  —   ...but this one is not even good! But don't listen to me I'm just a DT fan boy. LALAllALLalLLlaLAL Fan BOY FAN BOY AKLLAlalLALaL I DONT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING! ALLALalLALlaL DONT EVEN LISTEN TO ME !!>!>!>!>> LALALA. yeah ok... You don't even know. Hail Eris. Hail Discordia. 23 Skidoo. For those who understand. Fnord.

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234