FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Lamb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lamb
    Posted: September 19 2004 at 20:18
Does anyone know about any site that, like, explains The Lamb Lies down on Broadway by genesis?

I mean, I wanna dive deep into this, I want to see some things explained, and I wanna see what things are symbolism and annotations and stuff...you get my meaning.

Any sites that do that?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 01:05

Try this one, even when leaved me more confused than before reading it

http://www.tranglos.com/marek/yes/tr_77.html

Iván

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 06:00

'The lamb lies down on Broadway' by Genesis is one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded IMO. We should be thankfull that they ever recorded this album, Mike Rutherford wanted to do an album based on 'The little prince' I'm not actually joking about that!!

The summary on the weblink is written by someone who is trying to pursuade us that HE is the genius on account of his profound analytical skills. I think it reads very badly, sounds uncomfortably pretentious, and doesn't inpsire me to go beyond three or four paragraphs. It may be possible that he is trying taking the p!ss out of people like us!!

Enjoy the 'Lamb' for what it is. Fantastic music, a rich landscape of moods and atmospheres that I for one have never come across elsewhere in rock music. The concept itself can be interpreted on many different levels IMO, in terms of symbolism etc. I'm not convinced that Gabriel thought about every microscopic detail. I'm sure he wanted the listerner to interpret at will.

The fact that the 'Lamb' is mysterious and laced with ambiguity is part of its timeless appeal. For me anyway.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 10:52

There's a few sites on the web that attempt to explain The Lamb...interesting enough to start your own meditations, but without exception all are seriously flawed and barely rooted in analytic thinking. There is one in particular that promotes a Christian interpretation to almost ludicrous extremes...while there is definitely Christian imagery on the album, as there is in almost any Western work, I think the author was mostly externalizing an inner thought process upon the piece.

I actually began my own "walk-through" a couple years ago but I realized that the abstract (and in Peter's own admission, unfinished) approach was much more condusive to personal meaning. The best you can do is learn the mythological references...there really isn't anything on the album that requires more than a working mind to understand. It's a trippy journey, but actually pretty straightforward once you accept the surreality of the surroundings :)

You know, the classic story of boy-sprays-grafitti, boy-enters-mystical-dimension, boy-loses-penis  OK, maybe "straightforward" isn't the right word...

dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 11:11

HEY MAANI!!!

next interview, with Phil Collins???

mabye we can get to the bottom of this!!!

I have the album and B**gered if i know what its about

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 13:00
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

'The lamb lies down on Broadway' by Genesis is one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded IMO. We should be thankfull that they ever recorded this album, Mike Rutherford wanted to do an album based on 'The little prince' I'm not actually joking about that!!

The summary on the weblink is written by someone who is trying to pursuade us that HE is the genius on account of his profound analytical skills. I think it reads very badly, sounds uncomfortably pretentious, and doesn't inpsire me to go beyond three or four paragraphs. It may be possible that he is trying taking the p!ss out of people like us!!

Enjoy the 'Lamb' for what it is. Fantastic music, a rich landscape of moods and atmospheres that I for one have never come across elsewhere in rock music. The concept itself can be interpreted on many different levels IMO, in terms of symbolism etc. I'm not convinced that Gabriel thought about every microscopic detail. I'm sure he wanted the listerner to interpret at will.

The fact that the 'Lamb' is mysterious and laced with ambiguity is part of its timeless appeal. For me anyway.

Oh, by all means, I'm pretty sure I know what it's basically about and such, but I just want to read what some other people thought of it and everything.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 14:42
To me it is about a dream or dream state. I really don't care if that is true or not.  I just like it.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 16:05

Prog_Bassist

Reading other peoples take on it can only be a good thing, I agree. It should be a pleasure to exchage ideas, as no doubt it will be on this thread, but this guy has clearly been sucked too far into his own parallel reality

I think the Lamb can be different things to different people. To me it's a fantasy nightmare where a young man, rejected by the culture into which he's tried to integrate, is introduced to alternative reality. Here he is forced to face all manner of issues regarding his identity, sexuality etc..

It's a brilliant album! I think the best 'prog' album ever made. I am a die hard Rush fan, Genesis take a very close second place, although Gabriels Genesis will always wear the prog crown IMO.

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 21:28
Same with me,
I'm
1.Rush
2.70's genesis
3.yes

But anyway, I think it's about a dream state too. I think the guy on that site must really really want it to be about Rael being gay the way he goes on about it. lol.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 21:48

Quote but this guy has clearly been sucked too far into his own parallel reality

Agree with you Blacksword, that's why I said this article leaved me more confused than before.

I always thought The Lamb was a sort of autobiography of Peter and how he felt trapped between Genesis and his family life (he had a daughter with health problems at that moment I believe). On the other hand, all those homoerotic references that the guy talks about are crap IMO.

But there's one part I noticed before and I partially agree with this guy:

Quote "Your progressive hypocrites hand out their trash/But it was mine in the first place, so I burn it to ash"

I also see this quote as a demonstration of how Peter felt in that certain moment about Genesis trying to take simpler roads and putting pressure against his thetrical adventures.

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 04:59

ivan

I've wondered about that quote in the past, too. You may have something there. It comes from a very angry sounding song too, perhaps the perfect platform for PG to vent any musical frustration.

The concept aside, I think the Lamb probably reveals a lot about the tensions within the band at the time. This album has some of their most bitter, and their most beautiful music they ever recorded.

Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 08:10
The "Lamb" - Obviously in the top 10 of prog rock classics (But inferior to Selling England/Foxtrot IMO) - It's lyrical richness is a plus point (it's V bad production has cost it dear), but I feel that Peter / rest of band split leaves the double album a little short of true instrumental brilliance (The guitar solo at the end of The lamia needs to be a lot longer....Then it would be a true classic track).....
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 13:45

Prog Bassist:

First, read what Peter Gabriel says about it in the booklet that accompanies the 2-CD version of the album.  After all, that's "straight from the horse's mouth."  What you will find is that even Peter doesn't know what every "jot and tittle" of the album is "about" (indeed, isn't it somewhat narrow-minded of us to presume that the album has to be "about" something?).

I have my own interpretation, based on dozens of listenings.  It by no means takes into account the relevancy or position of every song (much less every lyric), but I believe it is a reasonable (if "unique") alternative to everything I've seen so far.  If I can put it into a few paragaphs, perhaps I will post it at a later date.

In the meantime, I agree with Blacksword: enjoy the Lamb for what it is, and let the "mystery" and "ambiguity" remain unsolved.

[N.B. to Dude: Why Collins?  Shouldn't I be asking Gabriel about it?"]

Peace.

Edited by maani
 Post Reply Post Reply