Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Fall" of the great prog-metal bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 21:28

Wanna great upcoming prog metal band? Check out Lord Of Mushrooms!!! Silly name..yet serious where it counts.

http://loloprog.free.fr/Anglais/a%20LIEN%20A.htm 

Edited by aniwolfe
OLAK! View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 22:19

I liked octavarium when i firs heard it. It was the first DT album i ever heard, and i thought it was beautiful. Oh how horribly wrong i was. Octavarium is probably the worst album i've heard by DT other than When Dream And Day Unite. It's bad for DT but if it was released by another band it would be that band's best album.

I would say TooL are a great band, constatntly getting better. So is Pain Of Salvation.

Now if one considers The Mars Volta to be metal, as some people do, then we have nothing to worry about.

When will you come convulsing to my basement?
Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 22:43
opeth, mastodon, job for a cowboy, dillinger escape plan, the red chord, fantomas.... tons of awesome stuff

listen to Hella
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 05:28
The last 2 Fates Warning studio albums Disconnected (2000)and FWX (2004) were EXCELLENT - no loss in quality AT ALL
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 08:12

Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

The last 2 Fates Warning studio albums Disconnected (2000)and FWX (2004) were EXCELLENT - no loss in quality AT ALL

there's a different approach

they sound a bit 'boring' to my ears, because I believe FW found this modern 'pattern' and keep repeating themselves after Apsog

xjester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 13:49
Originally posted by OLAK! OLAK! wrote:

I liked octavarium when i firs heard it. It was the first DT album i ever heard, and i thought it was beautiful. Oh how horribly wrong i was. Octavarium is probably the worst album i've heard by DT other than When Dream And Day Unite. It's bad for DT but if it was released by another band it would be that band's best album.

I would say TooL are a great band, constatntly getting better. So is Pain Of Salvation.

Now if one considers The Mars Volta to be metal, as some people do, then we have nothing to worry about.

I dissagree. I love tool, but IMO, their cds have been going down ever since undertow. not to say thay AEnima and Lateralus wernt great, but they just dont hold up quite like undertow 

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by xjester xjester wrote:

I dissagree. I love tool, but IMO, their cds have been going down ever since undertow. not to say thay AEnima and Lateralus wernt great, but they just dont hold up quite like undertow 

I disagree with your disagreement.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
xjester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:05
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

I figured most people would, but let me also say that i feel that they have been declining, but i by no means am saying they have fallen.  I just think that heir later albums dont hold up, because undertow was so well done, they had very little room for improvment.  But let me also say that i am eagerly anticipating teir new album this year.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:10
^ how can anyone think that Lateralus is not the best Tool album ... especially from a prog point of view? 
Rising Force View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:10
It seems like Tool releases an album every three to five years. What happened to the good old days when bands would release top quality albums every year or so? I don't know how you Tool fans have the patience. They are way too slow.
moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:18
Originally posted by IcedSabbath IcedSabbath wrote:

If you're talking about the decline of prog metal bands, you must also mention Opeth. Their last album, from what I've heard, is pretty weak!

You heard wrong
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:42

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ how can anyone think that Lateralus is not the best Tool album ... especially from a prog point of view? 

........especially from ANY POINT OF VIEW........

Edited by aapatsos
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:43
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

I AGREE THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH HIS DISAGREEMENT

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:45

Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

[QUOTE=IcedSabbath]If you're talking about the decline of prog metal bands, you must also mention Opeth. Their last album, from what I've heard, is pretty weak!

we're not talking about this exactly, read the thread

Edited by aapatsos
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 14:48

Originally posted by Rising Force Rising Force wrote:

It seems like Tool releases an album every three to five years. What happened to the good old days when bands would release top quality albums every year or so? I don't know how you Tool fans have the patience. They are way too slow.

It works for me, it's better to be slow and produce very good albums every 5 years

than produce average albums every 2-3 years (I don't want to mention the name......)

Edited by aapatsos
Zweck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 15:54
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Oh no you don't! The prog pee oh dubbya is naturally to be segregated from all others!
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 16:15
I really don't think the great prog-metal bands are going downhill, especially Dream theater. This thread seems like a magnet to people who now dislike these bands. It seems as though everyone is being too much like angry critics. 
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 17:25
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

Dream theater is better than ever!

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

Eh...no. Except for Scenes, Awake and Images and Words are DT's most consistent releases. And Falling into Infinity isn't as bad as some narrow-minded progheads say.

After Awake (saving Scenes), all of DT's releases have high and low points, without a single completly solid album. This is my opinion. I love the 2nd disc of SDOIT, but the first is riddled with poor artistic choices.

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

Dream theater is better than ever!

I mean just look at the first releases...images and words and awake and falling into infinity...those where fairly eh bad...but finally they seemed to have turned on Scenes from a memory album and making cool music which just shows from albums like Octavarium, Sdoit and tot!

Eh...no. Except for Scenes, Awake and Images and Words are DT's most consistent releases. And Falling into Infinity isn't as bad as some narrow-minded progheads say.

After Awake (saving Scenes), all of DT's releases have high and low points, without a single completly solid album. This is my opinion. I love the 2nd disc of SDOIT, but the first is riddled with poor artistic choices.

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 19:19
Originally posted by Zweck Zweck wrote:

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Oh no you don't! The prog pee oh dubbya is naturally to be segregated from all others!

I didn't mean ANYONE'S POINT OF VIEW, I meant ANY POINT OF VIEW, not only prog...

Edited by aapatsos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>