Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes fans vs. Genesis fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 22:49

Wny don't you try to come up with one coherent argument about the music rather then trying to disprove my logic,m which is a lot more subtle than you are able to comprehend.

Yeap, Genesis is a Pop band that represents the spirit ans aesthetics of Prog

I don't have this bias that posits prog against pop. I have often argued that I prog bands should write pop songs.  Roudabout was a pop song.  Watcher of the Skies was a pop song.  ELP's trilogy or King Crimson Larks' Tongues are not pop tunes.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 00:25

Ken4musi wrote:

Quote Roudabout was a pop song.  Watcher of the Skies was a pop song. 

Watcher of the Skies......A song with:

1. A 2:15 minutes of 100% Baroque dark intro by Tony Banks playing Church Organ and Mellotron,
  2. At least 7 dramatic changes
  3. Incredible Organ work blended with Steve Hackett's best guitar.
  4. The most amazing team work by the Rhytrm section, Phil and Mike are absolutely perfect. 
  5. Amazing and deep lyrics.
  6. Excellent Melotron work, considered by Mellotron Planet as one of the Top songs of the genre. 
  7. Absolutely and 100% Symphonic structure

And you consider it POP????????????????????????????????????????????

What have you smoked lately??? If you can't leave it (What would be better), go to your dealer and tell him to sell you the good stuff, the one you're usink is killing your neurones, you forget what you wrote, write without coherence and you say Watcher of the Skies is Pop...bad symptoms

Watcher of the Skies  is a 500% Prog track, here, in China or in Australia, abdsolutely no relation with POP.

Surely you are clueless, and I'm not saying it's great (Despite it is IMO) but I assure you is an icon of Progressive Rock.

Iván

BTW; Your logic is not subtlem, is flawed.

Edited by ivan_2068

Lord Qwerty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 10:36
Lord Qwerty will forever remain a true and faithul servant to the Crimson King. As long as this conflict does not disrupt court life, Lord Qwerty will never choose to ride his lizard into combat against the giant hogweeds and starship troopers. Let this be a warning to all involved.
Lord Qwerty is remarkably pretentious.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 10:44
Lets hold a Battle of Epping Forest, between Genesis and Yes fans! Never mind having a prog curry night, this is much more exciting! Let's beat the sh*t out of each other! I'll be right in there! Well actually I might follow Harold Demur and nip up the nearest tree.... 
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 10:47

Lets hold a Battle of Epping Forest, between Genesis and Yes fans! Never mind having a prog curry night, this is much more exciting! Let's beat the sh*t out of each other! I'll be right in there! Well actually I might follow Harold Demur and nip up the nearest tree....  >>

This is one of the best track on Selling because of the duet singing.  When Gabriel and Collins sang together, they really sounded good; there voices blended quite well.  They should hahe done a lot more of that.

ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Ken4musi wrote: [quote]Roudabout was a pop song.  Watcher of the Skies was a pop song. 

Watcher of the Skies......A song with:

1. A 2:15 minutes of 100% Baroque dark intro by Tony Banks playing Church Organ and Mellotron,
  2. At least 7 dramatic changes
  3. Incredible Organ work blended with Steve Hackett's best guitar.
  4. The most amazing team work by the Rhytrm section, Phil and Mike are absolutely perfect. 
  5. Amazing and deep lyrics.
  6. Excellent Melotron work, considered by Mellotron Planet as one of the Top songs of the genre. 
  7. Absolutely and 100% Symphonic structure

And you consider it POP????????????????????????????????????????????

What have you smoked lately??? If you can't leave it (What would be better), go to your dealer and tell him to sell you the good stuff, the one you're usink is killing your neurones, you forget what you wrote, write without coherence and you say Watcher of the Skies is Pop...bad symptoms

Watcher of the Skies  is a 500% Prog track, here, in China or in Australia, abdsolutely no relation with POP.

Surely you are clueless, and I'm not saying it's great (Despite it is IMO) but I assure you is an icon of Progressive Rock.

Iván

BTW; Your logic is not subtlem, is fla

You obviously have not understood one word I have said. Roundabout was numnber 15 in the states and that alone makes it a pop song. Watcher could have been a pop hit if the subject matter was not too intense for mainstream radio.  But it has all the elements of a good pop song, notably pop song structure and a good hook.  this is what I meant when I said that Yes and Geneisis took pop structure and imposed prog elements on them as opposed to KC or ELP who did not. One can asks the question, when does it stop becoming pop and argue that these songs stop becoming pop when . . . .but to just dismiss it shows that you have very little knowledge of music, which is okay but for the fact that you just don't seem to know it.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 10:55

Lord Qwerty ponders:

Could the Knife breach the Gates of Delirium?

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 11:02
Originally posted by Lord Qwerty Lord Qwerty wrote:

Lord Qwerty ponders:

Could the Knife breach the Gates of Delirium?

If the Gates of Delirium are sufficiently Close to the Edge, then Yes.

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 11:05
Never mind a battle of the fans, we should round up the band members and let them get on with it. Thing is of course that Yes has a clear advantage, having had some ermm.... well a much large number of band members so that gives them a head start against Genesis. Mind you that Phil Collins looks a hard nut, he was in that Buster film, don't think Bruford or White will be able to stand up to him...and Bruford of course is a bit of a turncoat anyhow....ooh look there's Wakey shoving Banks' mellotron where the sun doesn't shine.... and Squire has grabbed Rutherford by his beard and his tugging his chin onto his knee...etc etc.....

OK very silly and I'm sure it (or something similar) has been done before!
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 11:13

Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

Never mind a battle of the fans, we should round up the band members and let them get on with it. Thing is of course that Yes has a clear advantage, having had some ermm.... well a much large number of band members so that gives them a head start against Genesis. Mind you that Phil Collins looks a hard nut, he was in that Buster film, don't think Bruford or White will be able to stand up to him...and Bruford of course is a bit of a turncoat anyhow....ooh look there's Wakey shoving Banks' mellotron where the sun doesn't shine.... and Squire has grabbed Rutherford by his beard and his tugging his chin onto his knee...etc etc.....

OK very silly and I'm sure it (or something similar) has been done before!

I'm pretty sure after Squire destroys Genesis, in a fit of rage he will also kill his OWN bandmates. And i'm not referring to his size, just his bass playing! That's how powerful it is!!

My computer's broke
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:05
Originally posted by ken4musiq ken4musiq wrote:

You obviously have not understood one word I have said. Roundabout was numnber 15 in the states and that alone makes it a pop song. Watcher could have been a pop hit if the subject matter was not too intense for mainstream radio.  But it has all the elements of a good pop song, notably pop song structure and a good hook.  this is what I meant when I said that Yes and Geneisis took pop structure and imposed prog elements on them as opposed to KC or ELP who did not. One can asks the question, when does it stop becoming pop and argue that these songs stop becoming pop when . . . .but to just dismiss it shows that you have very little knowledge of music, which is okay but for the fact that you just don't seem to know it.

The radio play of one song doesn't make it POP.

You have thousand of Jazz, Classic Rock, Country (In USA), R&B, Salsa, etc that have radio qirplay, and that doesnt make them POP.

A genre of a song doesn't change because how many times it's played on a radio, that argument is absurd, silly and flawed.

If ten radio stations decide to play The Ninth Symphony of Beethoven and people likes it, would it change to POP?

The structure of Watcher of the skies is far more complex than most of the songs the big 5 Prog bands made, they experimented mixing influences, radical changes, complex keyboards, well elaborated vocals.

You can't call that POP, unless you believe radio DJ's decide which song is POP and which not.

And for those who speak about a mamber by member competition, this is even more absurd. A band is much more than it's members, but honestly I don't believe Hackett is less than Howe, Gabriel than Anderson.

I believe Squire is technically superior to Rutherford, but the work of Mike in Genesis is flawless and that's enough to make a band work, sometimes even better because it doesn't cause internal problems in a band. Collins is a different case, I like more Bruford's style, but Collins is still a top 10 drummer.

And Tony Banks, may be less showman than Wakeman, probably not so technicall, but he's perfect for Genesis and fpr any band, Wakeman kept joining and leaving Yes for decades, Banks is a band member and by far the most influential keyboardist in the Prog market. Just look at all Neo Prog bands.

Iván

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:18
Originally posted by Winter Wine Winter Wine wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I like Yes and Genesis - whose side should I be on?

As do I -- love 'em both!Big smile

That "Chopper" guy, however....Angry

Hey! What did Chopper do to you! he's a good guy

Thank you Winter Wine. I've only just noticed this comment from Peter - what did I do? I don't remember doing anything to upset him.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:22

Lord Qwerty wonders if anyone here believes Anderson to be a superior vocalist to Gabriel.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:58

For the rest of the members, I'm not talking as a fan despite this is a Yes vs Genesis thread. I'm sorry if I bore anybody, but there are things that really piss me, and one of them is the disrespect for other people's taste and opinion.

Dogmas are for the church, music is only a matter of taste and opinions, we can agree or disagree, and we will disagree reteadly because we're not machines and artistic expression is not an exact science

I never said (And you can check all my posts) that Genesis is better than Yes despite I like Genesis music much more (To what I'm entitled).

I just argue with  a person that:

• Believes he can decide what band is better.
  • Creates his own history of a Genesis
  • Tries to convince us  that the the number of times a song is played on radio makes it POP or Prog.
  • Contradicts himself repeteadly saying for example that Genesis (in his words) represents the aesthetics of Progressive Rock is at the same time a  Pop band.

Or a person that decides that one of the most complex songs of Progressive Rock history like Watcher of the Skies is POP.

Does anybody mentally sane  believes that any POP fan would accept a track that has a 3 minutes 100% baroque organ intro, complex timming, radical changes, intelligent lyrics, elaborate Organ-mellotron work?

This is absurd, I'm really tired of people attacking any band, I accept when a person says he/she likes a determined band more than another, but not a guy that comes to gives us absurd arguments to prove one is better han the other.

I have 29 years in Prog, I try to read any availlable information and as many websites as I can, but I don't dare to say if Genesis, Yes or Pink Floyd are better. All are different, all are amazing IMO, but I like Genesis more, that's all.

Before I was connected to  Internet used to accept as a dogma that the only great Prog' was done in the 70's, but I discovered Anglagard, Echolyn, Glass Hammer, The Mars Volta, Fantomas, Pendragon, etc.

The older members should remember that even hen I just joined this site i was very reluctant to accept Neo Prog because I believed in stupid dogmas. 

Dogmas are like a blindfold before our eyes, nobody should tell us what is better and what is worst, surely we can and MUST have a personal and unique taste, but nobody should try to force the rest of the members to believe that our taste is an undisputable truth and that everything he says is a fact.

Iván 

Edited by ivan_2068

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 17:38

Originally posted by Winter Wine Winter Wine wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I like Yes and Genesis - whose side should I be on?

As do I -- love 'em both!Big smile

That "Chopper" guy, however....Angry

Hey! What did Chopper do to you! he's a good guy

Thank you Winter Wine. I've only just noticed this comment from Peter - what did I do? I don't remember doing anything to upset him.

Ah, sure 'twas only a joke! (You know, "Yes fans vs Genesis fans " -- Chopper and I agree on their music, but I still hate him....LOL As irrational and random as the thread was.)

Next time, I'll use the "Wink."

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Space Chief View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 19:29

Why are we fighting?

The fans of Prog, whether old or new or happy or angry or caped or dressed as a sunflower, should unite to squash the hordes of Linkin Park fans that plague the internet like so many locusts.

luckyman_123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 20:05

Originally posted by lunaticviolist lunaticviolist wrote:

And when the hell are ELP going to get into the top 10?!

Yeah, yeah.  They should be on the top, now.  I'm going to fill out mindless reviews to make ELP ratings go UP.

WHO'S WITH ME?

ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 21:08

And when the hell are ELP going to get into the top 10?!>>

I hear its in the works.

PS Yes, there are those who really believe that Jon Anderson is a better vocalist then Gabriel era Gabriel, except when he did those voices.  Then he was da real bomb. His solo vocal stuff is a lot better.  On Supper's Ready and Selling England, when he reaches for those high notes and they aren't there, ouch.

Gianthogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 21:15

I used to like Anderson's voice better, but Gabriel's voice really grew on me, and now it's my favorite.  Actually, I can't listen to too much Yes anymore because Anderson's voice becomes grating after awhile.  Especially on the new albums, he seems to sing a lot more on them than he used it, and it gets kind of shrill and irritating if I listen to too much of it.  Gabriel's voice, on the hand, I never tire of.

As for Roundabout and Watcher of the Skies being pop songs?  No. Maybe the radio edit of Roundabout, but definitely not the full length version.  They did make a short version of Watcher of the Skies, but it didn't get much airplay, so perhaps with that one they tried to make it into a pop song, but it wasn't 'popular' hence wasn't a pop song.

Edited by Gianthogweed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 22:28
Originally posted by Gianthogweed Gianthogweed wrote:

As for Roundabout and Watcher of the Skies being pop songs?  No. Maybe the radio edit of Roundabout, but definitely not the full length version.  They did make a short version of Watcher of the Skies, but it didn't get much airplay, so perhaps with that one they tried to make it into a pop song, but it wasn't 'popular' hence wasn't a pop song.

Giant, don't fall in that mistake, a song is POP or Prog depending on it's structure, a song with radical changes, complex Symphonic structure, perfect instrumentation using mellotron combined with organ  can't be POP, it doesn't matter how many times they play it on the radio.

I heard Baba O'Reilly (The Who), Stairway To Heaven, The Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden) and many more thouthand of times in the radio.

The Number of the Beast had a video from a concert that reached MTV, but it's not POP not matter how popular it was.

Albums as Red, Fragile, In the Court of the Cruimson King, Trilogy, Dark Side of the Moon reached the charts, but none of them is POP.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>