Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow exactly is Deep Purple prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:39
Originally posted by IcedSabbath IcedSabbath wrote:

DP aren't prog, nor are they metal.
sideways View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:30

Tough question.... Everyones interpretation is different.

To me, I would qualify Deep Purple and Rainbow both as Progressive.  To me, a band that takes 5 min songs and turns them into ever changing live 15-25 min jams is progressive.  So they didn't have concept albums per se, they did however diviate from the norm.

"Who would wish this on our people?..And proclaim that his will be done" Sacrificed Sons - Dream Theater
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:42

Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

Why is it that "good = prog" and "prog=good"? Why if bands are any good do we feel we have to be labelled "progessive"? Hence the constant argument about Led Zeppellin (no they are not prog!!)

If a Martian beamed down to earth to explore the wonders of progressive music, and looked on this site, here are a selection of artist/es listed on PA that he/she/it might find:

Deep Purple
ELO
Supertramp
Queen
Kate Bush

..and so having selected a few songs by these artists at random our Martian buddy might be listening to:

ELO - Mr Blue Sky;
Supertramp - Bloody Well Right;
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water;

...etc........

So our cosmic chum might return home with some fine music ringing in his ears, but I put it to you all, absolutely none the bloody wiser about what progressive music is!!

He'd have had more clue if he was to pick up the following albums:

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Jan Hammer - The First Seven Days
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

....none of which are listed on PA but each of which has clear prog traits!!! Aargh!!!Help!!!

Could be worse - our Martian chum could be listening to "I Can't Dance", "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Under Wraps" or "Benny the Bouncer"

Flip_Stone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:45

They aren't [progressive].  They may have had the classic prog. lineup (vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums) and may have sounded sort of adventurous in their early days, but they were never progressive.

Edited by Flip_Stone
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 14:31
Originally posted by Flip_Stone Flip_Stone wrote:

They aren't.  They may have had the classic prog. lineup (vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums) and may have sounded sort of adventurous in their early days, but they were never progressive.

That's not a very convincing argument; "They aren't".

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 08:01
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

They aren't.  They may have had the classic prog. lineup (vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums) and may have sounded sort of adventurous in their early days, but they were never progressive.

Succinct, though...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 08:52
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Succinct, though...

"marked by compact precise expression without wasted words".

I guess no words were wasted in the composition of that post... and it's definitely compact - but maybe there's room for a bit more precision?

Pafnutij View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 09:20

Originally posted by gentletull gentletull wrote:

They were probably semi prog. They weren't hard rock and they weren't rock n roll. They were a classical/jazz influenced rock band, but more on the heavy rock side. But they were cool ;)

They were pure hard rock

-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 09:42
Originally posted by bertburt bertburt wrote:

^ That ranks as the best post I've ever read on this site to date.

Stellar thoughts, Peter!

Ditto

Dust in the Kitchen
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 14:16
Originally posted by sideways sideways wrote:

Tough question.... Everyones interpretation is different.

To me, I would qualify Deep Purple and Rainbow both as Progressive.  To me, a band that takes 5 min songs and turns them into ever changing live 15-25 min jams is progressive.  So they didn't have concept albums per se, they did however diviate from the norm.

You will not get much support around here for that insight. A lot of the live versions of their songs are structured like be bop improvs.  They lay out the tune and then their is a solo, refrain, solo, refrain.  pretty progressive. The fact that performers were doing that in be bop and its was called progressive should in no way influence ones objectvity or lack there of.

spo1977 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 19:26
Originally posted by Karn Evil 9 Karn Evil 9 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Deep Purple, but I just cant see how they are prog, or prog related, or anything related with prog. Some people say they started heavy metal as well, but again as far as I can see they are just plain and simple classic rock. The closest thing to prog they had was doing extended jamming and improvisation.

What is your opinion are they prog or not?

As far as prog goes I will not even go there. Most people here have a far more exclusionary veiw of prog than I do. As for it being metal listen to "In Rock". Hard Loving Man, Flight of the Rat and do not forget songs such as Speed King, Fireball and Highway Star.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 06:09

The first (Simper and Evans) version of Deep Purple is a psychedelic/ progressive combination. For example, 'The Shield'. To me, they epitomise the difficulty in differentiating between psychedelia and progressive. With the addition of Gillan and Glover, they became heavier, but 'Child in Time' is progressive.

If the Radioheads and Muses of this world are progressive, then the mark one Deep Purple is certainly progressive.

ulfskjol View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 06:32
[QUOTE=Peter][QUOTE=bertburt]

^ That ranks as the best post I've ever read on this site to date.

The novel is just black symbols on paper until YOU read it. The painting just colour on canvas, the music just 1s and 2s arranged on a disc, until you play the disc, and listen to it. Your individual perceptions bring art to "life," and imbue it with meaning, resonance and emotion. My dog has ears and eyes, but he does not "get" music or paintings: they are random noise and arbitrary arrangements of light and dark, to him. He'll pee equally gladly on a beautiful sculpture or a rotting stump -- it's all the same to him. We humans, however bring reasoning and language to the world we experience. We name things, and describe them, but the name or the description is NOT the thing, or the essence of the thing.

Subjectivity is inescapable.

I bow to you Peter, this is the best way of summing the issue up that I have ever read. I'll be using these words of wisdom in many a discussion on subjectivity/objectivity from now on.

Uffe
Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"
FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 13:00

- maybe progressive has nothing to do with moving forward, why can't progressive rock be a flat definition, calling something progressive helps define yourself rather than define a band

i dont go around telling people i enjoy avante garde ambient electronic music and organized sound

or classically composed symphonic narrative rock

i just f**king call it prog rock

metal from 1983 is just as metal as metal from 2003, 20 years but metal is metal

same goes for all genres, even if a band tries to duplicate a sound from 30 years ago, they cant, and if they do then maybe that means something "progressive"

if progressive only meant the development of something new and thought provoking, then f**king christ, punk, metal, grundge, 90's punk, emo-hardcore, rap metal and so on is all f**king prog rock, and i think we all know that is isnt despite that this is the evolution of underground rock over the past 30 years

does this give us the right to not call Radiohead prog rock, sure it does, because they dont fit the flat definition

ahhhh, but does the flat defintion fit all the subgenres of prog rock, hmm tough to say, maybe not, maybe prog rock has a few flat definitions

prog rock does not equal avante garde, sometimes it does, but these bands push the definition to the point where people whine on boards like these

i really have no idea where this post is going, so i am going to end it real soon

when I hear Progressive Rock, I think 70s prog and bands influenced by 70s prog, there is so much of it out there that it can still be thought provoking the deeper you search, i guess that is why when i hear the "questionable" prog rock bands of today, they dont do anything for me, because i have already heard it before, nothing is original, all thoughts have been created and anything "new" is just a combination of ideas that have not been combined yet, nothing original about that, nothing "progressive" about that

Aaron

ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 13:51
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

- maybe progressive has nothing to do with moving forward, why can't progressive rock be a flat definition, calling something progressive helps define yourself rather than define a band

i dont go around telling people i enjoy avante garde ambient electronic music and organized sound

or classically composed symphonic narrative rock

i just f**king call it prog rock

metal from 1983 is just as metal as metal from 2003, 20 years but metal is metal

same goes for all genres, even if a band tries to duplicate a sound from 30 years ago, they cant, and if they do then maybe that means something "progressive"

if progressive only meant the development of something new and thought provoking, then f**king christ, punk, metal, grundge, 90's punk, emo-hardcore, rap metal and so on is all f**king prog rock, and i think we all know that is isnt despite that this is the evolution of underground rock over the past 30 years

does this give us the right to not call Radiohead prog rock, sure it does, because they dont fit the flat definition

ahhhh, but does the flat defintion fit all the subgenres of prog rock, hmm tough to say, maybe not, maybe prog rock has a few flat definitions

prog rock does not equal avante garde, sometimes it does, but these bands push the definition to the point where people whine on boards like these

i really have no idea where this post is going, so i am going to end it real soon

when I hear Progressive Rock, I think 70s prog and bands influenced by 70s prog, there is so much of it out there that it can still be thought provoking the deeper you search, i guess that is why when i hear the "questionable" prog rock bands of today, they dont do anything for me, because i have already heard it before, nothing is original, all thoughts have been created and anything "new" is just a combination of ideas that have not been combined yet, nothing original about that, nothing "progressive" about that

Aaron

Music is doing its job when it confuses the heck out of reason.

ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 23:21

prog rock does not equal avante garde, sometimes it does, but these bands push the definition to the point where people whine on boards like these.>>

Of course, they cross over but you are right to say taht they are not equal. 

I think the difference between prog and the avante garde is that prog is about ingenuity and the avante-garde about innovation.  Most of the prog bands don't really do that much new. In the classic era, they sounded like one another and largely dealt with the same narrative. Where as, Stockhausen, Boulez or Cage were radically different than what came before them and radically different from each other. 

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 19:53

Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

I hear no classical influence in Hendrix's playing.
Listen to most of Electric Ladyland.

Great album by the way!

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 19:59

They aren't [progressive].  They may have had the classic prog. lineup (vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums) and may have sounded sort of adventurous in their early days, but they were never progressive.

In my opinion they sounded pretty adventourous thoughout there whole career.

But thats besides the point. The reason Deep Purple are here is because in there very early days they made classically influenced covers of pop songs ala Vanilla Fudge. I honestly think they were below par and were amazing when they figured out what they should have been playing, somewhat prog influenced hard rock.

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 22:17
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

In my opinion they sounded pretty adventourous thoughout there whole career.

But thats besides the point. The reason Deep Purple are here is because in there very early days they made classically influenced covers of pop songs ala Vanilla Fudge. I honestly think they were below par and were amazing when they figured out what they should have been playing, somewhat prog influenced hard rock.

Yeah. This rings true. "Back in the day" there was a connection between Deep Purple and Vanilla fudge. I think maybe Moby grape and a lot of the bands which had stoner names like Ultimate Spinach and the electric prunes were in those days were 'progressive' in other words they were progressing away from the tree which had it`s roots in rock and roll and southern american blues. They were branches. We accept the branch which included Comus etc. I wouldn`t venture to say where Deep Purple fit now but when the "semiprog genre" was dreamt up I thought perfect "volleyball is the devil`s advocate"
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 23:19
Originally posted by ken4musiq ken4musiq wrote:

I totally agree with every word Peter
wrote. This is why I don't classify Deep Purple as prog and Neil Young is.
Just me. I keep it to myself and don't waste too much time with "is this
prog/no it sucks" threads that are getting seriously boring.  >>

I think that you touched on the reason prog die; it became so narrowly
defined.  Originally, it applied to everything from The Band to Procol
Harum.  Yes and Genesis were known as art rock for a while and then art
rock became prog, which was a very constricted notion of what was
happening musically at the time.  Is there any wonder the neo-prog
bands sounded like Yes and Genesis?  Now you have prog metal, which
many do not consider prog. 

<!-- Signature -->

How exactly do you think Neil Young is prog?
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>