Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwho made you pick up that instrument

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 09:11
I'm a prominent christian folk-singer, so for me it was basically God.

's true.
RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:32
I guess in Ozzy's case, it was probably Satan.
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 11:00
When I first started playing electric guitar, the one guitar player who could send chills up my spine was Jeff Beck, particularly the "Blow By Blow" album . When I started studying classical guitar, John Williams was always the standard I aimed for and I still feel that technically speaking he is probably one of the finest musicians on earth.  
Timsan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:58

Some guitarplayers that influenced my are : page, gilmour and townshend. Especially page when he is playing acoustic, thats f....ing amazing.

The man that makes me wanna play bassguitar is mcCartney, he´s outstanding! 
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:07
So, explain to me how this thread is still in the Prog Lounge while the Prog/Non Prog thread that is specifically about Prog music has been moved to the Non-Music Prog section.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:15
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

So, explain to me how this thread is still in the Prog Lounge while the Prog/Non Prog thread that is specifically about Prog music has been moved to the Non-Music Prog section.

Ok.
1am - 8 am: sleep
8am: get up out of bed
8.05 am: have wash etc
8.15 am Have coffee and breakfast
8.30am: go to work
18.15:return from work

Wink

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:20
Well, okay (are you the only mod around, Tony?), even though this thread has been knocking around the Prog Lounge since May 13th - but why on earth was the other thread moved?

Edited by Teaflax - June 28 2006 at 13:21
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:32
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Well, okay (are you the only mod around, Tony?), even though this thread has been knocking around the Prog Lounge since May 13th - but why on earth was the other thread moved?

If it slips off page one then it isnt a thread that is likely to be in the "eye of the storm." If,however,someone had posted that they started to play guitar after listening to AOR Radio Stations.....Tongue
capitalist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 09:31
When I was about 9 years old, 1979...I watched an ABBA concert on TV.
and I wanted to play keys.
how embarrassing is that.

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 15:19
Originally posted by capitalist capitalist wrote:

When I was about 9 years old, 1979...I watched an ABBA concert on TV.
and I wanted to play keys.
how embarrassing is that.

Not as embarassing as me...back in my "follow the crowd" phase when I had just started listening to music, then I wanted to play every "punk" song that there was. Trouble was, I realized quickly that they were all incredibly easy. Then I bought "...And Justice For All" and it totally blew me away. So, in essence it was Metallica who made me want to start taking guitar seriously, but it wasn't until Dream Theater that I really decided that I needed to get more technically proficient. And after I bought "Wish You Were Here" (relatively recently after I got Octavarium, my first DT album) I found that I wanted to play like Gilmour as well.

kebjourman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 00:37
first it was pink floyd that made me want to learn bass(money)

then for guitar it was just me getting bored of 4 strings.

and then robert wyatt made me want to learn drums
mcnugget View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 00:15
Originally posted by fungusucantkill fungusucantkill wrote:

what band gives you chills
what musician made you realize I definetly have to start getting into this
my first prog listen was YYZ by Rush, i wasn't influenced much by it. I enjoyed it.
But then i picked up Yes "Fragile" and I listened to roundabout
i had to pick up prog bass
wahts yours?

Nine years ago, my grade six music teacher made me pick up the bass. A few years later, Patrick Djivas made me switch to fretless.Tongue
BenC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 23:38

The guys who inspired me to pick up the guitar weren't actually prog musicians (the dudes from Powderfinger...Embarrassed), but it was the marvellous Mr. John McLaughlin who inspired me to start playing fusion and experimental stuff. Ian Anderson has also planted the idea of learning the flute in my head - the solo in "Cross-Eyed Mary" is excellent. I also played piano and bass before learning the guitar, but that was before I discovered prog.

Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 19:24
I picked up bass very nonchalantly back in 5th grade for our school's classical orchestra thing, but took to it like a duck to water. Now it's the most important thing in my life.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 12:21
I'm playing and manipulating every kind of keyboards, from piano, to organ and vintage electronic stuffs (since 15 years now)...thanks to the music of Rachmaninov,Satie, Debussy / TD...
penguindf12 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 03:45
Sad to admit it, but I picked up bass because I liked Roger Waters' lyrics. He played bass, and I thought, "bass is the ultimate slackers' instrument - I can be in a band, write lyrics, and sing without actually having to be a musician - all I have to do is play bass! and it's so easy too!". But at the time I only really liked Pink Floyd (obviously) and The Wall. About two months into learning I introduced myself to Yes (through this site!) and other prog, and became more interested in music, solely for musics' sake (as opposed to being a vehicle for lyrics). So, without thinking really, I strived for a more complex style of bass playing (inspired by Chris Squire). This shows by the fact that after I complete the bass primer book, the very first song I took on was the entirety of Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick Pt. 1"...and I mastered it only 8 months after I picked up bass!
So really, while I stand by the statement that bass is for slackers, it is so underrated because too often it is left in the hands of non-musicians. So really my goal now is to prove the bass can be utilized melodically - much like my heroes Chris Squire of Yes and Rockette Morton of the Magic Band set out to do.
purplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 02:27
Strange how I began playing bass, which quickly became guitar. Father just brought one home one day (he sells them). I sat staring at it for many weeks and slowly taught myself the trade. Cream and hendrix sucked me into the blues, but yes and king crimson kicked them out of the mix and lead me off toward the prog horizon.
for those about to prog, we salute you.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 07:11
The first time I heard the MASTER drumming in "Master (sic!) Builder" I decided to learn to play drums myself. Moerlen's drumming on "You" is unsurpassed by any drummer, and "Master Builder" simply blows you away.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
staunchally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 11:59
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

Originally posted by Kleynan Kleynan wrote:

Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

Been a piano fiend since before I even listend to prog, Tony Banks and Mike Pinder inspired me to write prog music and play like a prog master.

I have recently started to get into guitar as a real instrument for me, and this is because of almost all prog guitarists that I love, especially Steve Hackett and Robert Fripp.

I picked up the flute about 5 months ago and got real good real quick, thanks to my vast knowledge of music because of piano and prog.  This was taken up by me because of Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull and how much they kick ass.

I play drums now as well thanks to Bill Bruford and the classic Buddy Rich, and my dad[IMG]height=17 alt=Clap src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif" width=18 align=absMiddle>!!

I am taking up as many instruments as possible once i get outta college, though.

The SITAR is next and thats thanks to some stuff my The Moody Blues and Strawbs (Fingertips)! Beautiful!

I borrowed a flute from a girl I know and got some information about how to play on the internet. Then I learned that ingenious flute-playing by Latimer in Camels' "Spirit of the Water". I'm thinking about starting to play. I just need to practice some more guitar first.

Yeah, i know that one, Camel were amazing, although I do prefer bardens on piano alone without the flute on that one, much more moving considering hes gone...

After a few months i can blast out any ian anderson solo practically, its really not all that hard, getting the tongue roll through the flute was difficult at first, because I just wanted to be good so quick.

But after about 5 months, I am better than all of my teachers, and all the kids in jazz band and orchestra.

Prog just owns everything.

You may be a great player but telling people how good you are on a forum is very bad form. Take some advice from an old timer.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 23:32
Jon Lord-keyboards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>