Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeyboards anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 13:08
I wonder what happened to my old stylophone? I used to play it through a 100 watt guitar stack. Big%20smile
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
nightlamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 15:22
Originally posted by BardsGarden BardsGarden wrote:

Any comments on playing the xylophone vs. marimba or glockenspiel?

Bar width and spacing varies, even among manufacturers of the same type of instrument.  Mallet sizes and weights also vary depending on the head material (metal, plastic, wood, yarn, etc.).  Playing technique is essentially the same for all the mallet percussion instruments; 4-mallet technique is more common for vibraphone and marimba playing, but not exclusive to those instruments.  The vibraphone has some additional techniques though-- dampening, pedaling, bowing, pitch-bending, etc.

Quote Actually, MalletKat makes a xylophone midi controller which would be interesting to hear.

I used to want a MalletKat sooo bad...  Then I played one, and I didn't want one anymore.  Didn't feel or sound right at all!  Dead 

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 17:52
Originally posted by nightlamp nightlamp wrote:

The vibraphone has some additional techniques though-- dampening, pedaling, bowing, pitch-bending, etc.

I saw Tortoise at the Reading Festival about ten years ago and heard bowed vibraphone for the first time. What an amazing noise!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 07:38
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

I have a Yamaha DJ-X. It's designed for dancey nonsense but if you tweak it you can get some really nice sounds. I used it to control an Akai Vintage Synth module too but my friend wanted the module back. Cry

I've a DJX too - they're a great basic synth; good piano sounds & a wide range of saw tooth wave form presets; the control knobs are fun for tweaking in real time & there's a good on-board arpeggiator too. As a midi controller, it's ideal, as the keyboard has a good action & even the on-board speakers give a good sound... If I had a criticism (taking into consideration to ridiculously low price you can pick these up at), it would be that you have to keep batteries in at all times if you want to retain samples, otherwise, they dump as soon as you switch off. Otherwise, it's a great and highly (dare I use the word) under-rated synth

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 10:30
My mundane keyboards:

Yamaha Motif
ARP Solus
Fender Rhodes (Stage 73)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234