Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed And Cambria: The real reasons !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 12:36
From PA's recent interview w/Steven Wilson:

>However, I see over the
> last 5 years there's a new kind of breed of bands that have really
> changed the way people think about the term progressive. It's now used
> frequently in the media in a genuinely positive sense.  With The Mars
> Volta, Tool, Opeth, The Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros, Isis, Mastodon,
> Radiohead, Muse, Coheed and Cambria, suddenly the definition is much
> broader than it was.

Mr. Wilson hath spoken...
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 12:56
Originally posted by jmcdaniel_ee jmcdaniel_ee wrote:

>However, I see over the
> broader than it was.

He also mentioned Muse, who are prog related, and The Flaming Lips, who aren't here at all. And what does he know, Deadwing isn't even prog. ;-)
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 13:55
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

He also mentioned Muse, who are prog related, and The Flaming Lips, who aren't here at all. And what does he know, Deadwing isn't even prog. ;-)

At last! Someone agrees with me!

Sorry for going off topic.
billbuckner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Originally posted by jmcdaniel_ee jmcdaniel_ee wrote:

>However, I see over the
> broader than it was.

Yeah, Steven Wilson knows NOTHING about prog! I mean, screw him, right?
Shwang_Shwinga View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 14:26
Who cares what Steve Wilson says about Coheed & Cambria!!! He isn't a mod here, he doesn't have a say in a damn thing you do around here, and if he does, then you're a sheep! Point is, Coheed and Cambria are at least Prog-Related, and if you can't see that, your perception of true progressive music and feeling is skewed and distorted, to no fault of Steve Wilson....

...and Deadwing was prog.

Edited by Shwang_Shwinga - June 08 2007 at 04:09
rockguitar1015 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 12:08
OK, I hear alot of people giving thier opinions on the qualities of the band.

None of this has to do with being PROGRESSIVE.  Let's not forget that Prog still stands for Progressive.

They are doing something different.  Very different.

That's all it takes.  They are pushing their genre(which is modern rock).  Therefore, they are Prog Rock.

It makes no difference if a band has technical musicianship, long names, concept albums, tributes to King Crimson, songs that sound kinda like Sgt Peppers, 70's guitar tone, and a moog solo.  Being Prog is about pushing ideas, and being creative beyond your genre.  Coheed is most certainly NOT a one trick horse.  What they do takes people(myself included) by surprise.

Prog for sure.
Good and Bad do not relate to sound.
There is no bad sound.
Therefore, no bad notes.
Therefore no bad passages.
Therefore no bad songs.
Therefore no bad artists.
Therefore
NO BAD MUSIC.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 02:51
Someone give this dude an award, he just said everything.
Rockguitar1015, you are the man.
Matteo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 03:11
Originally posted by rockguitar1015 rockguitar1015 wrote:

OK, I hear alot of people giving thier opinions on the qualities of the band.

None of this has to do with being PROGRESSIVE.  Let's not forget that Prog still stands for Progressive.

They are doing something different.  Very different.

That's all it takes.  They are pushing their genre(which is modern rock).  Therefore, they are Prog Rock.

It makes no difference if a band has technical musicianship, long names, concept albums, tributes to King Crimson, songs that sound kinda like Sgt Peppers, 70's guitar tone, and a moog solo.  Being Prog is about pushing ideas, and being creative beyond your genre.  Coheed is most certainly NOT a one trick horse.  What they do takes people(myself included) by surprise.

Prog for sure.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
jmcdaniel_ee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 13:54
Looks like all of us recent supporters of C&C's inclusion are relatively new members--the cards are stacked against us.  (Maybe in reality, we're all just members of the band trying to get included on the website Wink.)
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 13:59
IMO Coheed & Cambria are quite obviously Prog-Related.

No conspiracy, no prog-snobbiness involved. It's simply a  matter of prority. The priority for this site always has been and always should be the inclusion of Prog Bands. There is a mountain of Prog Bands waiting to be added.

Coheed&Cambria aren't a Prog Rock band, therefore they aren't a priority for the site.

Smile

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 14:48
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

IMO Coheed & Cambria are quite obviously Prog-Related.

No conspiracy, no prog-snobbiness involved. It's simply a  matter of prority. The priority for this site always has been and always should be the inclusion of Prog Bands. There is a mountain of Prog Bands waiting to be added.

Coheed&Cambria aren't a Prog Rock band, therefore they aren't a priority for the site.

Smile

I'm with you Tony. They have not yet crossed the true Prog Rock threshold but they linger on the edge. At a minimum they should be here under Prog-Related.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 17:02
Ah, perhaps you boys have yet to hear all their albums, hmm? I've purchased their entire discography, and I am quite pleased. Even their first work, "The Second Stage Turbine Blade" has some very "proggy" parts and pieces to it, though their most progressively inclined works are the other two albums, "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3" and "Good Apollo, my title is too long Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness."

Perhaps not every song of theirs is 12 minutes long (although counting the Velorium Camper songs off of Keeping Secrets, there's about 3 mini-epics on that album.) Perhaps they are on Fuse or MTV2 on occasion. And sure, they'll be playing with "contemporaries" at the wretched enemy of prog (or thought), Warped Tour. But the heart of the music is more than surely progressive.

Deadsoul Tribe is a group on this site who have no songs longer than 7 minutes, though they are undoubtedly prog. So are  Muse and  Mastodon (except Mastodon has only had progressive compositions since "Leviathan," and they do have one 13 minute song that  doesn't contain a hidden track). Even Dredg belong here. Co&Ca may not be a KC or Yes ripoff, but does that make them not prog? Of course not! Nor does it shun these other groups, who are quite favored in this site's use atmosphere.

Just because a band has some mainstream attention and radio playability doesn't mean they can't be progressive in nature. Just because more than a dozen people know who Coheed are doesn't mean its teenage trash. You really need to open your mind on this one. They're a lot more than you think.

And on the note of priorities, how long does it take to determine if a band is prog and give them a port site here? I mean, from this perspective at least, there's a team of people listening to the suggestions and determining whether or not they deserve a spot in the archives. A team. I figured since Co&Ca have been debated for a LONG time, a final "yes" or "no" answer could've been given, or at least hope for a future response. I wasn't aware of the "mountain" of suggestions piled amongst the bright and shining admin team working tentatively to add bands to our Archives, so perhaps I'm just a rambling fool. But I thought that at this point we'd have some clue as to, at least what genre they'd be placed under.

Not to worry, however, I have reviewed and rewritten my e-mail to the band suggestion folks, and its fairly well constructed. All that's left is to upload the 5 songs LEGALLY onto MediaFire so they can be listened to [idea kudos to Goldenspiral Thumbs%20Up] and I will have a valid message to be sent to the Heads.

On that note, does anyone have any suggestions for songs I should upload that would prove Co&Ca to be progressive enough for the site? I have so many ideas of what to send, but I need a little outside help narrowing it down....thanks!

-SS
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 17:07
my opinion of whether they should be on here will be heavily affected by their next release.

Second Stage Turbine Blade- regular modern rock with a prog tendency here and there
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3- prog album- no qualms about adding them if this was their only release
Good Apollo IV: somewhat split- the first few tracks, the Apollo tracks, and the Willing Well tracks are on par with IKSOSE3 ...however, the middle tracks are not only straight up rock, they're also quite generic and borderline annoying for meDead

so for the next album, here's to hoping they go back towards their IKSOSE3 tendencies

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 17:10
Originally posted by Shwang_Shwinga Shwang_Shwinga wrote:

On that note, does anyone have any suggestions for songs I should upload that would prove Co&Ca to be progressive enough for the site? I have so many ideas of what to send, but I need a little outside help narrowing it down....thanks!

-SS

The Light and the Glass- IKSOSE3
The Crowing- IKSOSE3
title track- IKSOSE3
Willing Well tracks 1-3 (the fourth one while sounding typical in prog sound doesn't progress all that much to me)

that's all I can think of for now

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 18:25
Hmm...well, Josh [man, it's strange calling you that, Heyitsthatguy, cause that's my name as well], it seems that you have a liking towards IKSoSE3...haha, that definitely goes without saying.

I see the point you're trying to establish with Good Apollo, as songs like "The Suffering" and "Wake Up" are pseudo-pop in certain ears, but when fitted with the entire story of The Amory Wars [not to mention the layering techniques used in almost every Coheed song, they're amazing really], they take on a new meaning. Oh well, thats just IMHO, to each their own...

I like your suggestions very much, though we should include at least one song from SSTB, as it would seem as if we're trying to "trick" the mods by only giving them songs from 2/3 of Coheed's work, anything from Second Stage you'd care to see make it through, perhaps Delirium Trigger or Neverender?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 18:30

Hmm...well, Josh [man, it's strange calling you that, Heyitsthatguy, cause that's my name as well], it seems that you have a liking towards IKSoSE3...haha, that definitely goes without saying.

I see the point you're trying to establish with Good Apollo, as songs like "The Suffering" and "Wake Up" are pseudo-pop in certain ears, but when fitted with the entire story of The Amory Wars [not to mention the layering techniques used in almost every Coheed song, they're amazing really], they take on a new meaning. Oh well, thats just IMHO, to each their own...

I like your suggestions very much, though we should include at least one song from SSTB, as it would seem as if we're trying to "trick" the mods by only giving them songs from 2/3 of Coheed's work, anything from Second Stage you'd care to see make it through, perhaps Delirium Trigger or Neverender?

I was trying to think of one from Second Stage but got a bit lazy LOL maybe Everything Evil? and I liked IV, I just didn't like tracks like "The Lying Lies..." and "Once Upon Your Dead Body"....to be honest SS is probably my least favorite, never really got into it though I do like Delirium Trigger. I'm probably committing some sort of prog blasphemy by even helping with this but hey I guess they're a guilty pleasure for me Smile

also, if you like these guys, try the band 3, they sound like a mix between C&C and Tool at parts, and are also somewhat prog influenced....maybe not enough for prog-related but that's a whole issue on its own and posing addition isn't exactly pressing right now

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 19:04

This "mod" is familiar with ALL Coheed& Cambria's catalogue. I subscribe to Napster and I also own 2 of their albums...I got my daughter into them.

This is a serious music site and we perform our dutiies accordingly.You think we just read the music press and guess?Confused

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 19:07
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

This "mod" is familiar with ALL Coheed& Cambria's catalogue. I subscribe to Napster and I also own 2 of their albums...I got my daughter into them.

This is a serious music site and we perform our dutiies accordingly.You think we just read the music press and guess?Confused

LOL I wasn't sure how in detail they had been discussed, after reading the rest of the thread I don't really have much to add it seemsOuch

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 19:47
Tony, it'll take more than a screenshot to convince me that Coheed shouldn't be in the Archives. Why do you think they are not progressive musicians?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 19:54

Tony, it'll take more than a screenshot to convince me that Coheed shouldn't be in the Archives. Why do you think they are not progressive musicians?

Read the previous pages, I think he explains himself....Prog-related suits them  fine for now, for me at least

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>