Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 09:20
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Not a fan but respect their direction and chops....I've only heard their first few and, like many, I see them as a bit too derivative of the latter first wave of prog. 

Out of interest, in what way do you hear them as "derivative of the latter first wave of prog"?

Can you give examples?

(and don't try telling me that Fish sounds like Gabriel, because I won't believe you )

Well........he does sometimes.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 09:38
I would say Fish DOES sound a bit like Gabriel with some of the bitterness of Peter Hammill's delivery in the mix. Yet, his voice is still very distinctive and I'd say they lost that distinctiveness when Steve Hogarth joined who has a rather less distinctive voice, imho. The band nowadays seem to have taken on a rather slowburning style which takes a long time to go anywhere- personally I prefer the more immediate style of the Fish era, sorry to say.

I couldn't pinpoint anything save the climax of Grendel being especially derivative of Genesis on their earlier albums anyway, but my personal favourites are Misplaced Childhood and especially Clutching At Straws where I think they totally transcended any accusations of plagiarism.

I enjoy Season's End but don't go a bundle at all on the Hogarth albums I've heard- Brave, Marbles and Holidays In Eden.

What exactly is the 'latter first wave of prog' anyway?

Edited by salmacis - January 09 2007 at 09:38
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 10:21
I really enjoy the Fish era but I've yet to get any Hogarth material. Though the band sounds almost exactly like Genesis, I find that the lyrics and arrangements are original enough to make Marillion one of the top prog bands.

I think that Fish sounds a lot like Gabriel, but he processes Pete through his distinctive style, which is a bit more morose and (as salmacis said) bitter. I think Paat Trewavas is better than Mike Rutherford, but not by a lot. His Transatlantic work won me over. Rothery sounds a lot like Hackett but his guitar tone is different. Hackett too often blended with the keys and Rothery stands out .
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 10:28
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Not a fan but respect their direction and chops....I've only heard their first few and, like many, I see them as a bit too derivative of the latter first wave of prog. 

Out of interest, in what way do you hear them as "derivative of the latter first wave of prog"?

Can you give examples?

(and don't try telling me that Fish sounds like Gabriel, because I won't believe you )

Fish uses the same theatrical style but with a lot more agression than PG.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 10:31
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

I really enjoy the Fish era but I've yet to get any Hogarth material. Though the band sounds almost exactly like Genesis, I find that the lyrics and arrangements are original enough to make Marillion one of the top prog bands.

I think that Fish sounds a lot like Gabriel, but he processes Pete through his distinctive style, which is a bit more morose and (as salmacis said) bitter. I think Paat Trewavas is better than Mike Rutherford, but not by a lot. His Transatlantic work won me over. Rothery sounds a lot like Hackett but his guitar tone is different. Hackett too often blended with the keys and Rothery stands out .

I've said it many times before but any similarity in sound between Genesis and Marillion is only superficial. When you get to the heart of their compositions you find the two bands are very different.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 10:38

Talking of definitions, has anyone seen the revised Typical Characteristics of Progressive Rock on Wikipedia recently?

Feel free to start a thread on them - you'll never guess who submitted them...

I'll finish the job soon - then I'll move onto the subgenres

so you're the one responsible for this:

Early progressive eock groups added additional instrumentation to the typical rock group lineup

so,Cert,what's a progressive "eock" group?

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 10:43
i always thought at first Marillion sounded very much like Genesis of course, i  heard Peter Gabriel say he liked them, but now they sound to me like completely different bands (which they are)  if you go into their music, i agree with sleeper on that one Smile

Edited by mystic fred - January 09 2007 at 10:47
Prog Archives Tour Van
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 13:46
For me Marrilion ended with the departure of Fish. I saw them twice during that era and have all their albums from the Fish years. They were so refreshing when they arrived on the scene in the early 80`s. Script For A Jester`s tears just blew me awy and I couldn`t stop listening to it. It was a signal that prog was not indeed dead.
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 14:30
I'M INVITED TO AN EXCLUSIVE PRE-LISTENING PARTY FOR MARILLION'S NEW ALBUM OVER HERE IN AMSTERDAM IN FEBRUARY!!!!

thought I'd share my happiness with you all!

peace Wink
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 16:16
Oh! Lucky you. Is it a live performance or are you going to be gathered around a CD player with other party-goers? Either way, make sure to give us the good news! The new one is supposed to have a more earthy and organic feel than the rather deep Marbles.

As to everyone comparing the Fish-era to Genesis - I still don't really see it. Script and Fugazi had a very cold tone in a lot of places and a completely different sound than Genesis' work. Beyond the dramatic nature of Fish's voice there isn't much comparison. The lyrical style is almost completely different and I think the sound produced by each band is extremely distinctive. The only similarity I see is that they are both really excellent prog bands!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Can you give examples?

Fish uses the same theatrical style but with a lot more agression than PG.

La la la... I can't hear you...

I reckon the theatrical style is more similar to Peter Hammill, and the "swings and roundabouts" reference just about cements it.

But maybe that's just me.

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

so you're the one responsible for this:

Early progressive eock groups added additional instrumentation to the typical rock group lineup

so,Cert,what's a progressive "eock" group?

It's almost exactly the same thing as an orogressive rock group
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 16:47
You know, I'm listening to Camel's I Can See Your House From Here and I don't find it particularly proggy. Especially "Your Love Is Stranger Than Mine". Seems Marillion get called out a lot, but it's not limited to them I bet.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

Oh! Lucky you. Is it a live performance or are you going to be gathered around a CD player with other party-goers? Either way, make sure to give us the good news! The new one is supposed to have a more earthy and organic feel than the rather deep Marbles.

As to everyone comparing the Fish-era to Genesis - I still don't really see it. Script and Fugazi had a very cold tone in a lot of places and a completely different sound than Genesis' work. Beyond the dramatic nature of Fish's voice there isn't much comparison. The lyrical style is almost completely different and I think the sound produced by each band is extremely distinctive. The only similarity I see is that they are both really excellent prog bands!

If it's allowed I'll try to give a bit of an impression, but don't take my word for it Wink
You can find them HERE

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 17:46
Originally posted by Tristan Mulders Tristan Mulders wrote:

I'M INVITED TO AN EXCLUSIVE PRE-LISTENING PARTY FOR MARILLION'S NEW ALBUM OVER HERE IN AMSTERDAM IN FEBRUARY!!!!thought I'd share my happiness with you all!peace

Man, I envy you. Full report! OK, Tristan?

Echoing what Freak said, I've also heard that there aren't the many layers that Marbles has. A bit more stripped down and a lot of foot stompers.

I've got the deluxe edition of Marbles on in the car's player and it really is a brilliant disc. Definitely the best disc I've bought in the last 10 years.

E

iTunes: "Remote Romance" from Camel's I Can See Your House From Here
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 20:05
Their 1st 4 albums were reminders that prog was still alive and they picked up the flame,I love Fish and most things he does.I cannot get into Hogarth's version of Marillion.

Edited by Fragile - January 09 2007 at 20:06
MaReam GeneTree View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 20:49
im a huge fan, and have been for about a month. i discovered them a year ago, and ever since them have been shoving as much as i could into my ears.

but it was only until about a month or two ago that i really actually understood why they are so good.. i had somewhat of a revalation that they are one of the most amazing bands out there.

personally, i prefer h over fish. i can relate with his lyrics more and i think he just has a better voice. also, i really connect with a musician if i like how they perfom live.. from all the dvd's i've seen, h is the best frontman i've ever seen, from a live performance standpoint (and this isnt really fair to fish, because i've never seen him perform live).

i love the neo-prog sound. very loungy.. mostly mellowish. can't get enough of it.
"another time, it might have been so different..
oh if only we could go back again.."
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 21:57
Originally posted by MaReam GeneTree MaReam GeneTree wrote:

im a huge fan, and have been for about a month. i discovered them a
year ago, and ever since them have been shoving as much as i could into
my ears.

but it was only until about a month or two ago that i really actually
understood why they are so good.. i had somewhat of a revalation that
they are one of the most amazing bands out there.

personally, i prefer h over fish. i can relate with his lyrics more and
i think he just has a better voice. also, i really connect with a
musician if i like how they perfom live.. from all the dvd's i've seen,
h is the best frontman i've ever seen, from a live performance
standpoint (and this isnt really fair to fish, because i've never seen
him perform live).

i love the neo-prog sound. very loungy.. mostly mellowish. can't get enough of it.

I think I know where you're coming from. H's lyrics (and in the case of the older material that involved Helmer) connect with me on a more personal level. I can listen to Afraid Of Sunlight and I can really identify with about 90% of the material. Probably why it's one of my favorites.

Make no mistake, Fish is a great lyricist, too; but, I just can't make a connection with his lyrics.

E

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 09:52
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I'M INVITED TO AN EXCLUSIVE PRE-LISTENING PARTY FOR MARILLION'S NEW ALBUM OVER HERE IN AMSTERDAM IN FEBRUARY!!!!thought I'd share my happiness with you all!peace

Echoing what Freak said, I've also heard that there aren't the many layers that Marbles has. A bit more stripped down and a lot of foot stompers.

I've got the deluxe edition of Marbles on in the car's player and it really is a brilliant disc. Definitely the best disc I've bought in the last 10 years.

E

Of course you're allowed to envy my luck.. Wink

I'll try and do my best regarding my function as 'reporter' LOL

Marbles is a great album but I hope this new one's a bit more like 'Afraid of Sunlight', i.e. a mixture of atmosferisch/epic songs and rock segments.
You can find them HERE

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 10:47

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

E

Of course you're allowed to envy my luck.. I'll try and do my best regarding my function as 'reporter' Marbles is a great album but I hope this new one's a bit more like 'Afraid of Sunlight', i.e. a mixture of atmosferisch/epic songs and rock segments.

A friend of mine is going to the convention next month and I guess they're selling new DVD's of the Smoke & Mirrors performances, plus an H Natural show. I was hoping the new CD would be on sale there, but more than likely it won't. No biggy, but those DVD's sound like winners.

E

yarstruly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 11:14
I don't know very many of their tunes...but I like what I do know pretty well...I'll eventually pick up more by them....Not easy to find on store shelves in the US, they are much bigger in the UK I believe, not well known here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>