Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad? or really just not your thing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

good post, Rocktopus, I'm glad to see people making assertions like this instead of mincing around people's feelings.

no wonder people get endlessly lost in genres of minute difference - they're not decisive enough to judge an album on its overt musical quality alone. ;)

And what happens if those persons don't have the same superior musical knowledge that you have? Does that mean the music they hear is inferior just because of that?

Yes, and who cares about them anyway? NO COMPROMISES =P

LOL... Yes, who cares about them? They're only 80% of this site...LOL.... Wink
timesignature View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 18:59
An album is only bad when it is not an original idea and a knock off of someone else's work.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 19:02

good post, Rocktopus, I'm glad to see people making assertions like this instead of mincing around people's feelings.

no wonder people get endlessly lost in genres of minute difference - they're not decisive enough to judge an album on its overt musical quality alone. ;)

And what happens if those persons don't have the same superior musical knowledge that you have? Does that mean the music they hear is inferior just because of that?

Precisely ;P every time someone asserts that Magma make better music than DJ Dance this ridiculous kerfuffle starts up again. it's regressive, and nothing ever gets said that could possibly burrow a fraction's length into anyone else's mind. so I've decided to be brusque and ignore the silly debate altogether. DJ Dance sucks
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 19:05
Originally posted by timesignature timesignature wrote:

An album is only bad when it is not an original idea and a knock off of someone else's work.

And even so a plagiarist work can be good.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 19:06

Precisely ;P every time someone asserts that Magma make better music than DJ Dance this ridiculous kerfuffle starts up again. it's regressive, and nothing ever gets said that could possibly burrow a fraction's length into anyone else's mind. so I've decided to be brusque and ignore the silly debate altogether. DJ Dance sucks

Not a bad decision... but the debate is not silly in itself... It's just that it's un-winnable by any of the two sides....
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 19:06
Originally posted by timesignature timesignature wrote:

Well, some bands take influences from other bands.  I guess that wouldn't be an original idea, but that doesn't make the album automatically bad. 
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 19:09
I can listen to Ligeti's  Lux Aeterna and love it, but if I give it to one of my music teachers who listens to Mozart and such would hate it to death.

It's all about taste.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 09:00
^Can't say I'm a big fan of Ligeti either - Penderecki's more my thing when it comes to modern choral music; his St. Luke Passion is amazing - and as for the legendary "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima"... Big%20smile

...I also love Mozart Wink
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 18:04
the problem with getting mad at low reviews for "classics" is that it pigeon-holes perceived callsics as well as the great misses (Love Beach being the album I love to hate). I don't mind a one star review for CTTE but I hate when the review is stuff like "this r the worst tihng ive evar heared." I understand English is not everyone's first language, but nearly all of these gramatically atrocious and pointless reviews come from US and UK reviewers while those who might actually have an excuse post coherent opinions.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 18:01
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

the problem with getting mad at low reviews for "classics" is that it pigeon-holes perceived callsics as well as the great misses (Love Beach being the album I love to hate). I don't mind a one star review for CTTE but I hate when the review is stuff like "this r the worst tihng ive evar heared." I understand English is not everyone's first language, but nearly all of these gramatically atrocious and pointless reviews come from US and UK reviewers while those who might actually have an excuse post coherent opinions.

Maybe their grasp of grammar is as good as their understanding of good music. I believe in the guidelines it does mention to verify spelling and such as it may impair the impact of the review. For me, if I think the reviewer is english, I just see it as an easy way to dismiss the rating. I mean, unless I know that their spell check isnt woking porply. Bt tat iz kainda inposibel. WinkBig%20smileLOL
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234