FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Prog-rock is Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 15:06
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

]but the fact is the downloader now has a copy of every album in their possesion which they never paid for. If he/she/it owns them then they should pay for them, ergo, the Pendies are pennyless.

Say someone had never heard of Pendragon and has no money to spend on CDs, them downloading their albums makes little diffence beyong personal moral judgements. Personally, in such an instance, I think of it as a positive thing, because they might then go out and buy Pendragon albums when they have the money. If they don't, it's no loss as it's highly unlikely that they would have bought them either.

The thing is, Barrett is allowed to oversimplify things, he owns the rights to the music, he created it, he paid for it to be recorded and produced - it belongs to him. It really is that black and white - there are no grey areas other than in the minds of people who have done wrong and are trying to justify it.

That's assuming you place high value on intellectual property rights. I don't. I think as many people should enjoy as wide a range of art as possible, and the right thing to do is to put back in as much as you can. It has zero effect on Nick if someone who would have never heard his music otherwise decides to download an album of his, in fact it can have positive effects (it does if you believe this study). An analogy I used on the Pendragon forum was someone watching their neighbour's firework display. What would be you reaction to you neighbout banging on your door and demanding you close your curtains and stop watching? I'd tell to F-off, I'm not hurting anyone.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 15:59
I'll not discuss downloading in an open thread since some replies will be in direct violation of site rules. Iain, if you want to know why I think every thing you have written is erroneous, then PM me.

The topic of this thread is about people supporting Live music by attending gigs.

What?
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 16:17
Hmm you mentioned The Peel. I know that place is within 7 miles of my house. If anything comes up that's good I might be able to ask my parents to lend me money to go and hear a prog band on the prog nights.

I would start contributing to lesser known bands if I knew when they were coming.

Also if gigs weren't 18+ I'd definitely try to go, only got to wait like 7 months.

Edited by progismylife - December 05 2007 at 16:18
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 17:04

I'll not discuss downloading in an open thread since some replies will be in direct violation of site rules. Iain, if you want to know why I think every thing you have written is erroneous, then PM me.

PM away.

The topic of this thread is about people supporting Live music by attending gigs.

On that note, I sadly don't see enough unsigned bands, certainly not Prog. I did buy one of Nine More Lies' EPs after seeing them support Marillion.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 17:29
I know that concerts are the life-blood of a lot of bands (in fact, most have to support themselves with day jobs too).  I used to go to a lot of gigs until I moved to a worse location and had kids.  I do go to quite a free concerts supported by the municipalities or malls, and go to bars/ pubs to see bands now and then.

I do try to check out some acts from the Vancouver jazz festival most years, and some blues and folk fests, but I rarely see Progressive rock bands.  Oh, I saw Floyd once, but it's not like they needed my support.  I would definitely like to see more Prog bands (especially chamber rock and more jazz/fusion), but I have had troubles tracking down information on those concerts in the past.  Seattle has had some good ones, but making the trip would have been inconvenient.

I prefer seeing bands in smaller, more intimate venues (commonly at certain bars but also at community arts centres where the musicians are paid).  They may not get much money (sometimes bands do it for free), but they do get free drinks (be it beer, wine, or coffee).  And I do go the symphony every once in a while, but that's different.

There's not a strong Prog movement in these parts that I'm aware of.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 17:31
I don't think prog rock is dieing at all- in fact i'd go as far to say that it was making a very serious 3rd wave come back. Bands such as 65 days of static and The Mars Volta are massively popular in the underground amongst cool people, and they're (especially TMV) progressive to the core.
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 12:39
Trouble with live music is that you have no control over the sound. The last few times I have heard live music they are just too damn loud. Yes I like my music loud but not so that it hurts. Personally I like to listen to the music not enter some macho competition to see who can stand the loudest sound.

The DT concert in Wolverhampton recently was just awful. There was a constant bass sound for Symphony X which drowned out everything else.  I don't know why the singer/drummer and lead guitarist turned up - I barely heard them. A slight improvement for DT but not much.

If this is typical of all other bands then I'll stay at home and listen to their CD. Not a download as I don't do downloads. I'll listen to promo sample tracks to see if I like the music and buy the CD if I do.

Not to mention the recent epidemic of crap drumming - but that's enough about the DT concert
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 14:56
I think the main problem Rob is that most soundmen are deaf as posts. I've been to many gigs where the sound is actually distorting in the speakers and when you politely point that out to the soundman, it tells you to go away (or words to that effect).
What?
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 15:30
ok, I don't want to get back to the d/l discussion and spoil the thread but one VERY real effect of the loss of sales is that more bands/artists are hitting the road, everyone is trying to sqeeze every penny they can out of what they do, not through greed but through a VERY necessary need to pay the bills, and out of a very REAL determination to continue making music. This though is having the effect of the most popular prog friendly venues are being flooded with gigs, this in turn means that rather than all the gig going local punters coming to your show (cos prog shows are scarse) they are in a rare position where they are choosing which gigs to attend (lets face it no one has bottomless pockets) so the already small live audience that is available is deciding between 4-6 gigs a month rather than which one or two to attend.......everyone is being stretched.

Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

An analogy I used on the Pendragon forum was someone watching their neighbour's firework display. What would be you reaction to you neighbout banging on your door and demanding you close your curtains and stop watching? I'd tell to F-off, I'm not hurting anyone.

That analogy is utterly flawed.

IF your neighbour was earning his living out of the revenue of firework spectators then you might be getting somewhere, but bypassing someones legitimate way of earning his living through utter selfish neglect of fair play is not really cricket is it?

When an artist says they are sturggling, what do you imagine, do you think that the big shiny car will have to skip a waxing one week, or that the maid gets the push, or that the pool boy is on reduced salary?........... or do you think of an artist worrying about food bills, selling their possesions, turning down the thermostat and praying for a mild winter?

Really, which do you imagine?

I don't understand. What drives people to gigs, or makes them shrug their shoulders and stay home?

When Peter & Nick from Pendragon played a FREE accoustic gig in Birmingham last month I only saw 2 other Pendie fans their, both had illegally downloaded the entire catalogue (inc dvd's) neither spent a penny all night.
That my friends is both sickening and shocking.

It's no hollow threat to say that we WILL lose some superb recording artists soon. And we will lose them due to our own complacency, laziness and lack of respect........ then one day all these discussions will become historical.

PC
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

I don't understand. What drives people to gigs, or makes them shrug their shoulders and stay home?

There are undoubtedly a number of reasons. Speaking personally (I don't want to sound like a narcissist, but I like to stick to what I know), I don't go to many gigs for the following reasons:
1) Money. Most gigs I've been to have cost ~£20 a throw. Personally I'd rather pay half that and get a DVD of a performance that I can watch again and again in the comfort of my own home.
2) Competing entertainment. There is mush more to choose from on Television these days, the Internet to surf and DVDs to watch.
3) Hassle. I went to see Gary Moore the other week and very nearly missed the last bus home. Had he played one more encore I'd have had to catch a taxi which I can't really afford. On top of this, many of my favourite bands that I want to see don't come to Nottingham, and I can't afford to pay to take a train to Sheffield or Birmingham and rent a hotel room for the night on top of the cost of the ticket and tour-shirt (which I usually buy at gigs)
4) I suffer from excutiating pain in my back if I stand up for an hour or more. Codeine barely takes the edge off, and is usually wearing off toward the end of the gig when the pain is at its worst. It almost totally ruined by experience of the Marillion gig I attended earlier this year, and certainless lessened my enjoyment of Porcupine Tree and Gary Moore. It isn't been a problem in sitting gigs I've been to (Deep Purple, The Australian Pink Floyd Show and Steve Vai) but these shows are usually more expensive. This probably only effects a few people, though.
5) Anti-social people. I get extremely anxious in large crowds of people at the best of times, without idiots bustling past me every few minutes. People talking and yelling through quiet bits of the songs, whistling right next to my head (which I'm fairly sure does more damage to my hearing than the loud music) and generally showing what I consider to be a lack of respect. My first proper gig experience was Fish back in early 2005 and that put me right off the whole thing until this year, pretty much. Two people infront of me I suspect objected to me singing through some of the songs. Fair enough, they could have politely turned round and asked me to stop if it was bothering them. What they shouldn't have done was pushed me back into the barrier and repeatedly and deliberately struck me with their arms throught the gig. I ended up getting cramp because they had me so totally pressed.

They are some of the reasons I don't go as often as I'd like, or perhaps should (I've been to 5 this year IIRC, and am seeing to more this month). They probably don't apply to everyone, but at least one applies to most people. And of course the fewer hardcore fans a band has, the fewer people will show up.

When Peter & Nick from Pendragon played a FREE accoustic gig in Birmingham last month I only saw 2 other Pendie fans their, both had illegally downloaded the entire catalogue (inc dvd's) neither spent a penny all night. That my friends is both sickening and shocking.

It is rather sad, particularly if they really are fans. How old were they?

Edited by Forgotten Son - December 07 2007 at 15:38
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 15:57
I understand the reasons you give here FS, I don't go to as many gigs as I would like simply because I can't afford to !

The guys in Birmingham? two guys with good jobs (they told me) in their 40's. Shameful!Angry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 16:16

The guys in Birmingham? two guys with good jobs (they told me) in their 40's. Shameful!Angry

That really does piss me off that people can be like that. Freeloaders with no excuse.
ES335 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 20:46
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Now that I'm old enough to act without constantly asking my parent's permission, I'll be attending gigs whenever I can

Enjoy it while you can. Someday you'll be married and back at square one.
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 18:20

IM PART OF THE NEO-PROG THIRD WAVE!!!!!!!!! Its my duty! For the sake of King Crimson,Caravan,Genesis,Pink Floyd,Uriah Heep,ELP,Gentle Giant,Rush,Frank Zappa,Procol Harum,The Moody Blues, Soft Machine ,Egg and many more...AND IF IM DOING IT  I go retro...F*** Prog Metal...Its getting too popular!!Smile.Lol.

What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 18:38
I just have no time to go to live gigs, particularly proggressive acts since they hardly ever come close to my area. The only prog bands i've seen live are Tool and Explosions in the Sky. (and the tool tickets were outrageously expensive!) but it was a killer show. oh and i guess i saw the Moody Blues when i was in the 3rd grade but i hardly remember that. I would absolutley LOVE to go support the bands i love but it just doesnt happen.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 21:32
if prog rock is dying... why the hell do I have 80 new bands.. from Italy alone .. that I have been screening this week.  LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 21:39
Someone will always be progressing rock, you just have to pay attention
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 21:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Someone will always be progressing rock, you just have to pay attention

and still others will feast upon the carcass of earlier work that was truly progressive. Sometimes with success.. other times not.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 21:49
indeed
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:44
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Now your making me feel bad!

Sleepytime gorrila museum came last month and I didnt bother asking my parents to see them.

Poor Ian!
SGM live is an experience to be beheld.
I try too see every prog act that swings by, but even in a big city like New York, that doesn't happen as often as one might think. I still do my best.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>