Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles versus The Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: What is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
54 [58.06%]
39 [41.94%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 08:13
The Beatles broke down walls (metaphorically speaking) and The Who pi**ed against a wall (Who's Next). (Just in case: Yes, I know that that's a concrete block and not a wall.)
The Who might not have been able to do what they did hadn't The Beatles cleared the way. That doesn't mean that there weren't others who could have done the same for the history of music. Nobody will ever know, what The Beatles might have recorded or written had they stayed together. But what would have happened to masterpieces like Tommy or Quadrophenia if The Who had stayed The Detours, had not written and recorded My Generation or I Can't Explain?
I will not vote in this poll, because it's useless to say The Beatles or The Who is the best. Just take a look at the biography on the Progarchives-page for The Who, because there is the answer: "Much of the Who's fame rests as mighty gods of destroyed hotel rooms, exploding drum kits, destroyed guitars, swinging microphones, and power chords galore, but the real importance lies in how The Who, along with the Beatles, expanded what could be done in rock music and laid the groundwork for the merging of the intellectual and the artistic with the power of rock and roll."
"We've got to get in to get out"
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 16:44
Originally posted by MHDTV MHDTV wrote:

Hmmm, let's see what Baba O'Riley influenced? A short lived musical movement, or an entire musical style that's still commonly used.
(huge bump, but this has been niggling me all day - sorryEmbarrassed)

It would be a nice thought, because it is a great song, but unfortunately it is neither.

Baba O'Riley marries two of Townsend's influences Meher Baba and Terry Riley - the arpeggio 'synthesizer' motive is a musical reference to Terry Riley's repetitive minimalist music and is played on neither a Synthesizer or a Sequencer, but a home electronic organ (A Lowrey TBO-1 set to Marimba Beat apparently).

The electronic bands of the late 60's and early 70's, such as Tonto, Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream were not influenced by The Who in general or this song in particular. However, it is accepted, (but not proven), that Tangerine Dream took their name from a missheard line from Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, eventhough there is no direct Beatles influence in their music (beyond Revolution 9 anywayWink). Those bands were experimenting with tape-loops years before Baba O'Riley and adopted the technology of the Sequencer and Arpeggiator as soon as it was available in the early 70's. The later Synth-pop bands of the 80's and the EBM/Trance acts of the 90's all cite these early German electronic bands as influences - but not The Who and Baba O'Riley.
What?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 16:51
The Beatles by soooo much.
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 17:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

they both f**king awesome but the who always had their style (not motown rips offs) so the who wins

The Who recorded Heat Wave..... if that isn't a Motown ripoff then I don't know what is.

it was the only song Moon could compose LOLby the way..... can anyone here actually admit to buying a copy of Moon's solo album.LOL

Please.,.. Noooooooo

Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 22:01
(In response to Guzzman's post above^^)

I totally agree that it is useless to say one band is "better" than another. It's an entirely subjective OPINION. In my defense for arguing so intently, I was was trying to say that I thought the Beatles were more -influential- than the Who, not that they were -better-.

meinmatrix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 03:44

I totally agree that it is useless to say one band is "better" than another. It's an entirely subjective OPINION. In my defense for arguing so intently, I was was trying to say that I thought the Beatles were more -influential- than the Who, not that they were -better-.

Well, in today's standards, how many "Beatles songs" you can hear in CSI or any other favourite television show? Tongue

Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 06:49
That Who songs are used for tv-serials doesn't make them better than Beatles tunes, does it? Nor does it make Beatles songs better that they have been (mis)used in commercials over the years, but it shows their popularity. I just say that both, The Beatles and The Who, are two of the greatest bands - ever.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 09:25
get the who 7 more votes to call it equals the way it should be!
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 19:59
Originally posted by meinmatrix meinmatrix wrote:

Well, in today's standards, how many "Beatles songs" you can hear in CSI or any other favourite television show? Tongue

"Who Are You" was chosen for CSI because the message fit the theme of the show, not to mention its a great song in its own right. Another factor is that maybe the owners of the publishing were more open to license the rights out. None of which means that the Who were more influential.

Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 20:41

you need 8 more now Wink

mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 10:42

you need 8 more now Wink

Bugger!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 11:22

Originally posted by meinmatrix meinmatrix wrote:

"Who Are You" was chosen for CSI because the message fit the theme of the show, not to mention its a great song in its own right. Another factor is that maybe the owners of the publishing were more open to license the rights out. None of which means that the Who were more influential.

Apple don't generally licence Beatles songs, this is why you don't find them on 60s compilations or adverts etc.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 11:28
Originally posted by R o V e R R o V e R wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

they both f**king awesome but the who always had their style (not motown rips offs) so the who wins

The Who recorded Heat Wave..... if that isn't a Motown ripoff then I don't know what is.

it was the only song Moon could compose LOLby the way..... can anyone here actually admit to buying a copy of Moon's solo album.LOL

Please.,.. Noooooooo

Heatwave is not a ripoff. It is a cover, just like.. oh, i don't know, literally HALF of the Beatles' early albums?
And Keith Moon's contribution to A quick one was "Cobwebs and strange"
.  Sooo....

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 19:37
^^ True... I was way too hasty in my reply that said it was a ripoff Embarrassed

my apologies.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 03:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Apple don't generally licence Beatles songs, this is why you don't find them on 60s compilations or adverts etc.
Quite true, Chopper, but it has been done nevertheless Cry: Ford used "Help" (the original recording) in 1985 with Apple reacting by enforcing a strict "No Beatles tunes in commercials"-policy. Yet in 1987 "Revolution" was used in a Nike-spot (original version again) and the company got sued by Apple (I don't know about the outcome). Philips used a part of "Getting Better" (although not the original Beatles-recording) to sell consumer electronics.  In the USA "Come Together" was used by Nortel Network, Joe Cockers version of "With A Little Help From My Friens" was in a Gateway Computers campaign. Sad, but true.

Edited by Guzzman - August 10 2007 at 03:56
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 08:36

John, Paul, and George were better songwriters and more influential than the who could ever hope to be.

Rubbish! Lennon and Mcartney could only write great songs as a duo, Townsend does it on his own.

The Who were far better musicians and better performers than the Beatles.

The Who winds hands down!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 09:15
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

John, Paul, and George were better songwriters and more influential than the who could ever hope to be.

Rubbish! Lennon and Mcartney could only write great songs as a duo, Townsend does it on his own.

The Who were far better musicians and better performers than the Beatles.

There are two common missconceptions regarding Lennon & McCartney, the first is that they only wrote as a duo, and the other is that they wrote seperately and only creditted each other to share the royalties. The truth is both are true, some songs they wrote as a duo and some individually. There is much contention (even within the Beatles) as to who wrote what, but often whoever sang the words probably wrote them.
What?
bryson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

Imagine, while not written while Lennon was part of the Beatles, is one of the greatest songs of all time and proof that Lennon could write without Paul's help.
Paul on the other hand wrote yesterday and let it be without john.
i love the who, they are one of my favorite bands, but to say that Pete is a better songwriter than John Lennon is a bit of a stretch.
All you need is love.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 21:33
Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison could all write on their own, but IMO just about all of Harrison's tunes are their best written with the only exception of the masterful A Day in the Life. Townsend is the better lyricist. I'd rank him only behind Bob Dylan in terms of greatest rock lyricists, though those three would come immediately afterwards. Who cares? They both are gods and rock would never have become such a rich genre without them. 
proghairfunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 23:09

Tommy And Quadrophenia vs. Sgt Pepper and The White Album.

Beatles, but tough.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>