Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:13
OK Majester X, your explanation tells a lot and I am happy with it , now let's focus on the interestings bands for you because in my Symphonic Prog Appreciation thread the focus is more on bands that are/were inspired by the Classic Prog but here you can find many bands that succeeded to sound more original and modern, like Nemo, William Gray, Kotobel, Osada Vida, Karfagen, Combination Head and Ashada Thumbs%20Up
Firefly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:32

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

ANEKDOTEN — A Time Of Day (****)

- My first musical encounter with Anekdoten their compelling and captivating music was when I started to write for Dutch progrock paper SI Magazine in the early Nineties. I was very lucky that in this era the Mellotron drenched Skandinavian prog had just started to florish with as good examples Anglagard, White Willow, Landberk and ... Anekdoten. I was blown away by their debut CD entitled Vemod (even more on the re- release that contains the wonderful bonus track Sad Rain). On that album they sounded very similar to King Crimson (Anekdoten began as a King Crimson cover band) but gradually their music turned into more original and quite distinctive prog with the CD From Within as my personal favorite. I was a bit disappointed about the successor Gravity so what to expect from the this new CD?

During my first listening session I got very excited, it sounds more as a succesor to From Within than Gravity featuring the distinctive melancholical vocals, the dynamic-rhythm-section and the huge tension between the mellow, compelling, propulsive and bombastic parts. Of course I am delighted about the unsurpassed sound of the omni-present Mellotron, what a moving waves! Other keyboards on this album are the Farfisa organ (especially in the captivating 30 Pieces in great interplay with the Mellotron along propulsive guitar riffs and a wonderful final part with delicate flute and lush Mellotron) and synthesizer in Stardust An Sand (mellow with twanging guitars) and Prince Of The Ocean (dreamy with soft organ waves and a beautiful closing section with Mellotron). The guitar work sounds very alternating: fiery in the poweful opener The Great Unknown, propulsive in 30 Pieces and A Sky About To Rain, sensitive in King Of Oblivion and In For A Ride and mellow acoustic twanging in Stardust And Sand. My highlight is the long composition (almost 7 minutes) In For A Ride: it starts very compelling and bombastic, then a powerful bass and a lush Mellotron sound join and halfway we can enjoy a sensitive guitar solo. The climate ranges from dreamy to bombastic featuring a bit ominous undertone, almost psychedelic and very captivating, this is Anekdoten at their best!

With this album Anekdoten has prooved again to be a current top progrock band, every song is a wonderful painting delivering exciting and colourful landscapes, as if Turner and Constable have translated their paintings into prog music, a big hand for the new Anekdoten, not to be missed!

You just made the drummer smile.  Wink

Edited by Firefly - August 10 2007 at 17:33
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:38
Well Firefly, when I attended an Anekdoten gig a few years ago (one of my progrock dreams: Anna Sofi and the Mellotron M400, you cannot beg for more Approve), I could witness his drumming skills, he is the backbone of Anekdoten their dynamic and atmospheric sound Clap

By the way, fellow reviewer Rob Palmen (Background Magazine) has become Anekdoten their manager, if you know Rob send him my kind regards Thumbs%20Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 10 2007 at 17:39
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:42
Damn, Erik, some fine work Clap

While I'm not the biggest fan of the symph this is an irrefutable guide to a decent slice of modern prog.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:46
Thanks, Aussie but I have not very much Zeuhl, Rio and Avant-garde to offer, I have explored that music in the past but it's too complex/adventurous for me, at some moments even a bit nerve-racking Wacko In fact this is the place where opposites meet, aren't we LOL ?!

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 10 2007 at 18:00
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 18:10
Kudos my good sir. very impressive.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 19:35
@MajesterX, good explanation, maybe i read more negativity  in your first post than there really was anyway.

I still like the Flower kings a lot though i don't listen to them as often as i used to mainly because of other bands that i find to be interesting. Generally though,  the lesser known symphonic  bands that i know  in this database don´t resemble the Flower Kings or Spock´s Beard and they differ considerably amongst each other too.

From Erik´s recommendations to you i know Nemo, Karfagen and  William Grey. Love all three of them they´re hugely different from each other but none of them try to  recreate a 70´s atmosphere. I´d say Nemo and Karfagen are the most innovative of these 3.

I can listen to Nemo and William Gray anytime, i have to be in the mood to appreciate  Karfagen´s  music fully, if you´re interested in them I´d suggest you listen to a sample of  their music first , it might not be everyone´s taste,
dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 19:41
Wow, very impressive Erik my friend. I really enjoy these things that you do. I just don't know HOW you find the time to listen to AND review all this music. I buy about 5 cd's a month and keeping up with just those is tough. If you look at the amount of reviews I have, you see I don't have much time to review either. I am sad about that. I wish I could review them all. I am like you in that I LOVE to discover new bands. I too have my own list but it's not even close to as big as yours. Embarrassed Of the bands I have heard, I agree with almost all your ratings. I would give Zenit 4 stars though and also Viima. Great stuff! Are you going to include Black Bonzo in your list?
Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 20:29
Erik !!!   you are probably my all time favourite prog reviewer you really give it 100% and I love the way in which you are so up with things ... keep up the excellent work I hope to read many more enlightening and informative reviews from you in the future Smile Clap
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 20:46

Thanks, Aussie but I have not very much Zeuhl, Rio and Avant-garde to offer, I have explored that music in the past but it's too complex/adventurous for me, at some moments even a bit nerve-racking Wacko In fact this is the place where opposites meet, aren't we LOL ?!

LOL maybe we are opposites, but I think we can both agree on the quality of Maldoror's sole album (plus many others)!!!
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 04:26

I have just updated this thread with the following bands:

...The Gourishankar/Karfagen/Infront...

Soon more will follow Thumbs%20Up

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 04:27
Originally posted by Firefly Firefly wrote:

You just made the drummer smile.  Wink

Tell him that "A Sky about to Rain" is f***ing awesome . My fave song of the year!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 05:45

Dalt99, thanks Thumbs%20Up and I will add Black Bonzo, wonderful Hammond sound Thumbs%20Up

Yorkie X, thanks for your compliments and thanks to posts like yours I am determined to keep this thread alive Thumbs%20Up

Prog-jester, yesterday I discovered that I still had to add some Russian prog ... Embarrassed

Dirk, good to hear your positive words about Nemo and William Gray, excellent bands and ready to be discovered Clap

Today I will continue with the additions from my progrock database, working from A-Z.

This weekend I will add this Swedish band to Prog Archives:

Maze Of Time with the album Tales From The Maze, a very promising Neo-prog band

MAZE%20OF%20TIME:%20Tales%20from%20the%20maze                                                

Thumbs%20Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 11 2007 at 05:47
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 05:52

This weekend I will add this Swedish band to Prog Archives:

Maze Of Time with the album Tales From The Maze, a very promising Neo-prog band

MAZE%20OF%20TIME:%20Tales%20from%20the%20maze                                                 

Thumbs%20Up

Mmm...Neo... (a-la Homer Simpson)
btw, just reviewed KING CRIMSON's album for the first time ...two years here without PF/KC/GG/YES/ELP/you-continue reviews...can you imagine it?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 06:11
Well Prog-jester, yesterday evening I have watched DVD's from Uriah Heep (Anthology and Rare Footage) and Deep Purple (Made In Japan Rock Milestones), I was carried away the same way as when I listened to it for the first time as an adolescent of 15 yeras old Wink

But back to the topic of this thread, I am looking forward to the new releases by Little Tragedies and I hope that Lost World will not be just another promising one shot band.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 08:02
Well, LOST WORLD had some CD-R unofficial releases and first official album back in 2003 which is rather average (IMHO), but have some very enjoyable moments. I had hopes to buy new LT (despite the fact that I can't stand vocals and lyrics ) in Lugansk this Tuesday but they haven't recieved it yet
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 08:56

(THE) REASONING – Awakening (***1/2)

- This is a UK sic piece band that host two guitarists, a keyboard player en three members (including a female singer) who are doing the vocals. So no wonder there is a lot of attention for the vocale lines in the eight composition with lots of duets and vocal harmonies.

The songs are pleasant and melodic with a modern, a bit polished sound. The colouring by the keyboards and guitars is very tasteful like the propulsive rhythm and sensitive guitar solo in the titletrack, a spectacular synthesizer solo with propulsive guitar riffs and a wonderful final part in the alternating Aching Hunger, a beautiful closing section delivering a fiery guitar solo, lush keyboards and powerful drums in the great build-up Sacred Shape and a fiery, in the R&R tradition drenched guitar solo in the also strongly build-up piece Shadows Of The Mind. But the absolute highlight (in my opinion) is the final composition Within Cold Glass featuring Marillion guitarist Steve Rothery (a sticker on the front cover of this CD mentions him): first a dreamy climate with intense and melancholic sounding violin work and warm piano, then a mandoline and female vocals enter, the sound become more compelling. Halfway Steve plays a very moving guitar solo with howling runs that fits perfect to this emotional song

I am impressed by this new band and their strong and tasteful modern progressive rock on this debuut album, especially the neo-prog fans will be delighted!

Excellent review, Erik. This album is one of my favourites of this year, a really pleasant surprise that I'd heard nothing of until after it was released.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 16:15

Thanks, Forgotten Son Thumbs%20Up

I have just added the following bands:

Kvazar/KKB Live/Canossa Project/Nemo (two other albums)/Overhead and Periferia Del Mondo
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 16:28
Erik - that's great news on Rob Palmen.

Apart from that - I think it's fair to add Circa to the list soon... I'm playing their album over and over again this week, and it really belongs.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 16:32
I recommend Erik (and all other people) to take a look at PHIDEAUX... their 2007 album is amazing, very symphonic (although they're listed here as art-rock). Great stuff! Thumbs%20Up
Guigo

~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 51>