Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCredibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 15:39
but The Doctor is here.  Who do I need to vanquish with my sonic screwdriver? 

Tony, you sure have a way with people.  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 15:41
I think we need the super science of Professor Frink

"Mmm-hey. Bur-hoy! Glavin."
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 17:47
Originally posted by meinmatrix meinmatrix wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

However, some musical "artforms" just cannot properly utilize progressive ideals. For examples, I somehow doubt that a prog-rap thing could ever happen, since rap is based on a very simple, streamlined beat and someone talking. Any attempts to "prog it up" would be silly at best, or ear destructive otherwise. Can you imagine a ten minute rap with a lush, baroque counter melody in the background?

Well, since Opeth managed to pull it with putting Death Metal and Melodic Prog together, why not? I could imagine a rap epic. Someone just has to do it.

Pain of Salvation? Wink
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 18:11
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

but The Doctor is here.  Who do I need to vanquish with my sonic screwdriver? 

Tony, you sure have a way with people.  Tongue

Coming from you...Wink
P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I think we need the super science of Professor Frink

This isn't for a joke really, I meant this thread to be totally honest and serious, if anyone has something more to say about my post, please keep commenting on it.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 22:48
The question that has always baffled me is.... losing credibility... WITH WHOM? ConfusedConfused 

- Prog fans? They'll come here anyway if they want the biggest resource on the web and not want to get stuck just with the current big names like The Flower Kings or Dream Theater (two of my two favorite bands, by the way).

- Non-prog fans? They wouldn't come here anyway, obviously.

- The web musical community? Well, I don't know what the hell that is, but if there existed one, it sure as hell would ignore us as the mainstream music industry ignores prog.

- New prog fans? Oh yes! They are NEW. They would like to LEARN. To get to know more and more bands. Yes, here they'lll find Radiohead, but they'll also find like 1000 bands that they wouldn't find anywhere else.

- Current members? No, and if it so happens that some start to lose faith in the site, too sad but PA will survive without the few of them that leave and they will survive without PA. (But it seems kind of poor leaving a great website only becasue it commits the crime of having a few related categories and artists listed)

- Prospective members? The same. If they want more bands, better resources, they will stay. If they want their daily dose of MArillion and Symphony X (again, two bands I like), well, they have PLENTY of sites out there...

- Prog-fans that want to write reviews? Well, how many other sites as comprehensive as this allows members to post reviews, become reviewers or collaborators, give them so much bandwidth to write (in some cases) incredibly atrocious reviews?

- The Robert Fripp Foundation for The Hardcore Progressive Rock Fan With Special Consideration to Members Who Can Recognize a 12/7 Time Signature? Well, maybe we'll lose credibility with them... Damn!!

So, from what I said:

I insist.... With WHO are we losing credibility?

And, if people lose faith because the site has a little too many "mainstream" bands and they decide to leave... guess what... they'll return so fast when they see they can't find the review for an album by an obscure eastern-european band anywhere but HERE.

Anyway, there are owners, there are members, there are guests... But, in the end, the second ones are also guests of the first ones... So, just say THANKS.
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 23:41

Message to P.H.P :

I originally supported your post because I tend to be rather rigid in my definition of prog. However now that I have caught up on all the posting today, I think you have maybe gone too far. Tony and all the admins have put together the best prog website on the net, and while I may not always agree with everything they decide, I can't fault their efforts. Furthermore, I think Easy Livin made a valid point on page two about attracting new people to the site and to prog in general. Keep up the good work admins!

(note to self... hmmm how to go about getting Radiohead removed.....)

OOPS... did I say that out loud? Embarrassed

Edited by Walker - September 02 2007 at 23:41
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 00:13
Hey I've been tough too because the first post by PHP sounded like bread with broken glass, I do agree partially that some bands shouldn't be here but that's on the past once they are accepted, he wasn't here in the past so he's expressing his disagreement in the wrong way and with the wrong persons.

But the guy has sent me a friendly PM telling me he never tried to offend anybody, probably being my neiborgh from Chile, he selected wrong words, specially when English is his second languiage as mine, he was much more moderate in Spanish.

Lets give the Noob a chance.

Many of us had to learn the hard way, lets make it easier for PHP and think that he only started with the wrong foot.

Iván

P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 12:20
Hahaha, probably a newbie posting to PA, but certainly I'm quite far from being a noob in prog matters. Embarrassed

And I think...excluding the bands I did mention, PA is a massive site (I see the hard work done by many people here), it's well constructed and very inclusive, maybe too much, and pitifully because of that I think it couldn't be the best in terms of prog accuracy (think of quality & quantity), this will sound like spam, but for those of you who know spanish there's a good site http://www.manticornio.com (with not so good review or rating systems like PA), but I think it's more accurate with our prog, I would love to visit a site that could be the mix between the hard work done here in the technical construction and the appreciations of this site I tell you, they don't have any band that could consists in a doubt of "progginess", and I think the difference is that the site I'm talking about is closed for public and it's done by mature experts, something that will sound bad, but in the end it's kind of good to keep the prog with margins on it, so in the meantime I visit both. Thumbs%20Up

Thanks.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 12:32
One or two of our collaborators also work for this website. It's not bad at all!

About progarchives' credibility it's an endless debate that continues to create inner conflicts. It's clear that the policy here tends to be more and more inclusive with almost non visible limits (that's my point of view).

However many people are doing great works, I mean as technicians or about the content itself.

Everyone can find his stuff here, personnaly I only promote esoteric, obscure 70's subgenres

Edited by philippe - September 03 2007 at 12:43
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 12:42
Originally posted by P.H.P. P.H.P. wrote:

Hahaha, probably a newbie posting to PA, but certainly I'm quite far from being a noob in prog matters. Embarrassed

And I think...excluding the bands I did mention, PA is a massive site (I see the hard work done by many people here), it's well constructed and very inclusive, maybe too much, and pitifully because of that I think it couldn't be the best in terms of prog accuracy (think of quality & quantity), this will sound like spam, but for those of you who know spanish there's a good site http://www.manticornio.com (with not so good review or rating systems like PA), but I think it's more accurate with our prog, I would love to visit a site that could be the mix between the hard work done here in the technical construction and the appreciations of this site I tell you, they don't have any band that could consists in a doubt of "progginess", and I think the difference is that the site I'm talking about is closed for public and it's done by mature experts, something that will sound bad, but in the end it's kind of good to keep the prog with margins on it, so in the meantime I visit both. Thumbs%20Up

Thanks.

Well I'm 46, how mature does one have to be.
Prog has undergone a revival over the past couple of years and I like to think we've played a part in that. We are all about being inclusive and spreading the word. Bringing in new fans using our methods is a way of guaranteeing that the current revival isnt a flash in the pan but rather something that can be sustained. With all due respect a non-inclusive site with the attitude you suggest is only going to ensure that Prog disappears for good over the next ten years.
Good luck with that. If we rely on your self-serving model,you'll still have all your old albums but there will be no-one producing anything new, trust me.

This site intends to bring as many new fans as possible to prog. If that means broadening the definition somewhat then so be it. You have to move with the times, the inability to do this or judge the esprit de temps is what led to prog's original downfall - we dont intend to let that happen again.

Oh and for one last time: prog-related and proto-prog bands are not considered to be prog rock bands by any member of the admin team or the webmaster.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 12:43
Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

One or two of our collaborators also work for this website. It's not bad at all!

About progarchives' credibility it's an endless debate that continues to create inner conflicts. It's clear that the policy here tends to be more and more inclusive with almost non visible limits (that's my point of view).

However many people are doing great works, I mean as technicians or about the content itself.

Everyone can find his stuff here, personaly I only promote esoteric, obscure 70's subgenres

and you do a fabulous job of that Philippe.Just remember there is room for everyone.Smile
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 12:45
While i agree with you Pot head pixie, we must put up with that and eventually, while the archives are growing with bands that we consider regressive, it's constantly enriched by real prog, so avoid the bad and concentrate on the good. Despite of that, PA reminds the best prog site on the Web, and technically the most accomplished (thanks people).

Edited by oliverstoned - September 03 2007 at 12:47
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 13:43
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

While i agree with you Pot head pixie, we must put up with that and eventually, while the archives are growing with bands that we consider regressive, it's constantly enriched by real prog, so avoid the bad and concentrate on the good. Despite of that, PA reminds the best prog site on the Web, and technically the most accomplished (thanks people).

Exactly.Smile
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 17:38
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Well I'm 46, how mature does one have to be.

At 42, I'm even more of a babe in the woods.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234