Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space Pirate Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 00:29
Thanks Caliman '64 for the playlist... some I know, some mixes I'll have to dive for.

Off the Channel Isles  we'd dive for scallops and abalone. the 'Balogne' was tenderized, sauteed in wine and butter and enjoyed with SPR's airing of Vangelis' 'Apocalypse des animaux- Generique.
It was one of our ship's chef Petey's simple specialties.
For his 33  bon anni, Petey found a mermaid in his bunk and she gave one birthday wish...

I didn't recognize him after he got a little head.  

Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 02:30
Originally posted by dmastous dmastous wrote:

Interesting page Caliman. This is the kind of thing I've been trying to work on for a while now. Years, but more successfully over the last couple of years. I've got a number of SPR shows, and a number of playlists as well. I've entered them into an Excel spreadsheet which I've been hoping to provide on my own (relatively meager) SPR page. It's an old page, and has been online for almost 15 years. I hope to start beefing it up with more information, but I'm not sure what I can post due to copy-write restrictions, and Guy's own issues with posting his show online. So I just enjoy the programs and await some sort of permission from Guy to start expanding. It's his show, and I don't want to tread on his shoes.
Sesss, you'll have to be more specific about the time the song you're looking for was played. Many of the shows I have have Cochin Moon by Haroumi Hosono (pretty much a Yellow Magic Orchesstra precurser really) as it's opening music. Some also have Premonition from Sylvian/Czukay. But those were during the 80s.

Sesss, 
The SPR Intro I 'member most was The Cosmic Jokers' Galactic Joke n' Cosmic Joy... Ash Ra Temple's music would accompany Mr. Guy as he credited the evening's crew with a roll of the mystic die... Shaken King Snake eyes.

dms1958 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dms1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 00:47
Blobfish,  thanks for posting what many of Guys intros were.   Have been trying to find out for years, no idea it was the cosmic jokers Just found the music on youtube. I listened every Sunday late 70s with my headphones on in bed and tripped out everytime to this music.    
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 11:26
Yer'welcome, dms.
 From Kosmische Musik. Most of Guy's intro/outro's was music of that label.

The tower bell strikes twelve, wolves cry and the Count replies...ahhhh, fresh blood of the earth's virgin vinyl is cast from space n' into me hungry brain.
SPR host Guy Guden introduced me to much worthy music from around the globe. 

Aloha
andrewmcmanus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmcmanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 07:29
I just love this channel
jthernes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthernes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 10:07
Does anyone have the January 18, 1982 playlist for Guy Guden's Space Pirate Radio?

I was the person who sent Guy to Europe to try and sign contracts with Kate Bush, Vangelis, etc.... for a music video.  We tried to be first to do this before M TV came along.

I will appreciate any help on finding the playlist.

dmastous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmastous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 09:04
I have playlists from 1989 on, but nothing before than. I have shows from before that, but I don't have all the songs identified so I don't have "playlists" from there, and I don't have that show anyway. So out of luck. Sorry.
Chelsea C View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chelsea C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 11:05
For sale Guy Gunden Space Pirate Radio LP unopened in original wrapper.  On ebay now...

item number.    170972515049
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 15:30
)
Originally posted by Caliman1964 Caliman1964 wrote:

Thanks for that Nada One, I will add to my list. FYI: Names of artist and songs are not Guy's material. If we didn't share names of the musical artists we like with each other then where would we be? You can't buy what you don't know about. The main idea of radio is to play music to us so we can buy it. FYI: Guy was notified about my list & was helpful to me. Seems like this thread is conflicted for me now. Seems to me that most are interested in just getting copies of Guy's shows by whatever means. As that is what this thread was started for I have no beef with that, none at all. I guess I should start another thread under the proper area.

(updated/cleaned up 05/21/2013 -- had some ... errors inadvertantly like a banana was not Paul!)

The only way I will share anything from the shows I have (listening to one right now -- 11/14/1977), is with WRITTEN permission by Guy himself. Him and I are not on the same page, for some reason, and he won't email, call or discuss much of anything, even the pet rocks on Fifth and Hill! Even Paul will not share shows with me, which I would very gladly trade him for ... so we could end up with a larger library all around. Guy might have a list of things, although I do not recall ever seeing one, other than the complete list of his comedy bits which he had on reel to reel tape at the time, I believe.

Again, as I said before, when it comes to "imports" and the Southern California area, there are two people that are "the authority" for it. Guy is one, and the other is Archie Patterson. Archie, has shared a lot of his views since 1972 in Eurock, and Guy remains kinda quiet about it all, though his stories about his time and radio, still show up now and then on his blog. Comedy? ... only Guy had it ... available for a nickel by the panhandling hobo on his hourlies!

I was out of the loop by 1982, when I moved north .. had enough of Santa Barbara, UCSB, and not happy days all around after Ingrid left.

Note: On a recent "blog", Senor Jesus de Santa Barbara, posted that St Peter should stop talking about having paying rent, or buying gas ... when Senor Jesus was broke ... it was no big deal for me, but obviously has caused some interesting embarrassment to his gray hairs.

St. Peter has never been embarrassed about helping Senor Guidissimo get his LP, and even a T-shirt to add to his wardrobe, but Mr. Lance Princely Gudstrong, seems to have a failing memory for some days, that were sad, when Senor Jesus de Santa Barbara was not selected to play the Fool, but the rest was the sunshine with a little excursion for a film, or music ... geee ... we can always have a fun talk about ... Ventura Highway ... in the sunshine ... sure ... tell me you don't remember! That car, by the way, lasted all the way to 1984 when I gave it away to one of the dishwashers I had in Pendleton for $50 bux.

Geee ... how about fun stories ... one ugly Volvo and a coat hanger ... one on the steering wheel and the other on the coat hanger ... and we got back ... gosh ... can't even remember the film we saw on that one, but we got our Melody Makers on that bookstore on 5th and Hill ... ohh yeah ... and those bucket seats still were the best EVER!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2016 at 19:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 15:36
Originally posted by Caliman1964 Caliman1964 wrote:

http://sites.google.com/site/kaliforniadreaming/radio/spr
Likewise, much of the music from SPR that I know of was not Progressive (?) and does not belong here I guess.
I am a fan of Progressive music and plan to come back here.
Thanks.

(cleaned up to take out typos and some errors courtesy of the Guy himself! 05/21/2013)

It has been one of the things that has been difficult to bring about, as an understanding to "what" became known as "progressive music" later ... and the idea/fact, that the FM band radio that was barely started, was big in allowing the longer cuts and eventually helped define a lot of this music ...

Today, it's all internet, and is highly visible, whereas in those days, things were not ... so someone playing it was important ... and at least for the 8 years I listened to this, I know that Guy fought hard to do it, and had to put up with a lot of serious BS from the station ... up to and including folks blatantly saying they had done something that Guy had done, instead!

It was "new radio", and not many FM radios were even sold that early ... and the "stereo" thing really hit home in the early 70's and Guy is a part of it. 

But putting something like this, and a "story", if not "history" of progressive music ... even in a place like ProgArchives, is, sadly, a dead end. ProgArchives is a DATABASE, not an Encyclopaedia, per Dean's words, and that means that history will never be important where a database is the God and neither will how so much of this music came about, and why. And, of course, doing this about Guy might be impossible ... there are too many things that I'm sure he would like to forget and not talk about ... I guess that we all have a little skeleton in the back somewhere ... but goodness ... isn't it what the Enquirer and all those are about! AND, they make you "famous"?

BTW, I really miss those articles on the News-Press!

We need more articles!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2016 at 19:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 15:39
Originally posted by Blobfish Blobfish wrote:

Hey'all,
Cool Prog Blog.

I got SPR on my ship's radio out in the channel off Santa Barbara, CA.
We had the water lit one clear night for a squid catch (our morning tuna bait) under a cool August moon 1974.
Best fishing accompaniment one could ever tune into. 

Listening to it on Gibraltar Point one windy night as the wind hits the hills and mountains and Jane and other bands play through ... yeah ... who needs squid when you got stars, right? On a clear night, too!

Edited by moshkito - January 19 2013 at 14:06
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 15:45
Originally posted by Chelsea C Chelsea C wrote:

For sale Guy Gunden Space Pirate Radio LP unopened in original wrapper.  On ebay now...

item number.    170972515049

Not from me. I still have my copies of the album. Can't believe that someone is selling that ... I bet that what hurts is that the price is not even what Guy is worth, and should be getting paid ... !!! Confused

Edited by moshkito - January 17 2013 at 16:04
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 15:52
Originally posted by jthernes jthernes wrote:

Does anyone have the January 18, 1982 playlist for Guy Guden's Space Pirate Radio?

I was the person who sent Guy to Europe to try and sign contracts with Kate Bush, Vangelis, etc.... for a music video.  We tried to be first to do this before M TV came along.

The only list I have for a show in 1982 was from March 7. I was too busy at UCSB to be able to keep up with the show as much with work and school.

Phil Manzanera
Ad2 - Hijack
Jon & Vangelis - Friends of Mr. Cairo
Bungles
Romne (spelling -- not sure who this was)
Gary Numan
David Bowie
Trianna
Guy3 - Bijou Movie Palace
Gilly Smith - Mother Gong
Mike Oldfield - 5 Miles Out
Klaus Schoning
Wapassou
Catherine Ribeiro
Guy3 - Mouth Radio Theater
Ralph Lundsten - Nature Symphony #2

I have to re-listen, as there is a comedy bit I missed ... something about pain and art.
www.pedrosena.com
Nada One View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 00:03
Originally posted by dmastous dmastous wrote:

Part of the impetus for my putting these shows up would be to get them identified. I can find the artists and songs when there are lyrics, but I have no way to Google melodies (anybody at Google reading this?). I have no way of finding some of the ambient pieces unless I stumble on one of them, or something very similar and search that vein. As I recognize songs, or do a search on the lyrics of one, I add it to my own small attempt a creating playlist. They are along way from being complete due to the many ambient pieces as well as French, Spanish, Japanese, and other shows in languages I don’t fully recognize.

I hope one day, we can begin accomplishing some sort of catalog of SPR shows, and playlists before they are long gone, and the people who have memories of the show can no longer share them.  They would be lost forever and that would be just too bad. Cry

Forget Google!
I just started using a free Apple app called "Shazam" that samples melodies quite well. It enabled me to find a song taped from SPR: Ryuichi Sakamoto called Paradise Lost, among others.

Paradise Lost - Ryuichi Sakamoto (Album: Illustrated Musical Encyclopedia)
Ribbed and Viened - Cocteau Twins (Album: Lullabies to Violaine)
Folkstone Hovercraft - Space Art (Album: Playback)
Approve
spacemissing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacemissing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 19:51
My last post was in July of 2010?
Seems like a long time ago now...

During my visit with Guy last night,
he thought I had posted something in March of this year.
Turned out to be a case of mistaken user identity.

Back in 2010, I made a video of the SPR album playing on a turntable.
Later, I gave Guy a copy of it.
After watching it, he said I should post it on YouTube.
There has been some trouble with getting that to happen.

When / if it is ever succesfully uploaded,
I hope I will remember to mention it in this forum.

Edited by spacemissing - May 09 2013 at 19:54
dmastous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmastous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 20:01
Originally posted by Nada One Nada One wrote:

Forget Google!
I just started using a free Apple app called "Shazam" that samples melodies quite well. It enabled me to find a song taped from SPR: Ryuichi Sakamoto called Paradise Lost, among others.

Paradise Lost - Ryuichi Sakamoto (Album: Illustrated Musical Encyclopedia)
Ribbed and Viened - Cocteau Twins (Album: Lullabies to Violaine)
Folkstone Hovercraft - Space Art (Album: Playback)
Approve

Not really an Apple guy. I'm not anything guy, but I don't like walled gardens. They are beautiful, but constraining. I've had Android phones since they started. 
Don't know if Shazam is available on the Android platform, but I'll look for it.
Nada One View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 01:16
Shazam is available for android phones.

Nada One View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 01:17
Blobfish, you have the wit of Guy himself!
dmastous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmastous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 09:15
Originally posted by Nada One Nada One wrote:

Shazam is available for android phones.

Already downloaded and started using it. Going back through all the shows like a fanatic.
I also found a program called SoundHound that is pretty good. Shazam seems to be better, but both are good. Google also has a music search tool that isn't as good as the previous tool, but it too works once in a while.
Bottom line; I have gone through 6 shows and identified all but perhaps a half dozen songs (a couple I think I know, but I'm not sure about). Looking good for a significant upgrade of my playlists.
I've also discovered and downloaded some new music, and that's also positive. Back to the grind....
Nada One View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 17:57
Sweet! Like uncovering buried treasure.
Still interested in planting the Tangerine Tree?  Tangerine Tree LOGO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>