Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe FIVE STAR rating system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:55
This change would be difficult to implement, with all the ratings already in the database. Even if the owners were sympathetic to the suggestion, those difficulties can still prevent them from implementing 10 stars (or half stars).

And remember that they *own* the site ... they have the right to decide for themselves what to do. If you feel like you can't live with the old system ... you can always leave. But I doubt that on this website ratings could be that important to someone. PA is about reviews, not about ratings.
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 10:58
I've said before, I think the best assets of the site are the reviews that can be made by anyone. The democratic aspect of it makes it more worthy than other sites with larger databases, but reviews made just by one or other person.

Maybe I'm too naive, but I expect people to check the ratings and reviews in order to help them make the decision to buy or not an album. Because, if the person is willing to illegally download the album, reading reviews and ratings will take more time than to download one, two songs or even the whole album to check the quality themselves. So, the site is destined to people who buy music. And nothing is better than the reviews.

The well-written ones, I mean. Because, if the reviewer can explain why he likes or dislikes the album, the reader can learn something useful, that he couldn't by looking at the ratings. It is easy to use the ratings to guide yourself when the album has 500 ratings, but it is hard when it has 2 or 3 ratings, and a well-written review can be more useful than 20 ratings. And by knowing the styles of some reviewers, you can even know beforehand that the music will suit your taste by reading a negative review (it had already happened with me more than once).

About the problems with the meaning of ratings, I don't think it is really a problem, since both taste and perception of "prog" are subjective matters. There is no right or wrong when saying that an album is a masterpiece of progressive music, if the person thinks that album is progressive music. You can pick any reviewer at random, with more than 50 reviews, and criticize one of his reviews saying that the album "is not progressive enough" to have such rating and the reviewer can always answer "In my opinion, it is".

Another issue: I, personally, don't expect a reviewer to have less than 80 percent of positive reviews (3 or more) and expect people to have many 5 star ratings. Why that? It is easy. I think that in 95% of cases, reviewers will have 80% of their reviews about albums they own. There are some exceptions of reviewers with legal access to many prog music they don't necessarily own, but it is rare (maybe too naive again). Since it is not recommended to review an album a person has listened just once or twice, the only albums available to review are the ones the person owns and the first to be reviewed will be the ones the person enjoys most, so I expect many 4 or 5 star reviews.

I don't want to own albums I consider bad, so-so or just ok. For example, I have reviewed some albums that I do not own because friends/relatives of mine lent me and left them with me for some time. Those are the majority of my 1 or 2 star reviews (of course, that are some albums that I bought because of the band and hated).

As for rating reviews, I think this would be more a tool for fanboys than for responsible people. Fanboys would give bad rating for every negative opinion about the albums they love. Responsible people would, from time to time, give a positive or negative rate, according to the situation.

So I think the site should focus more on their main assets (info and reviews) and leave the other matters for a long future.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 11:16
Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

Maybe I'm too naive, but I expect people to check the ratings and reviews in order to help them make the decision to buy or not an album.

You should think that people do that ... on the other hand, people keep creating threads asking for recommendations or even particular album ... sometimes you wonder whether they even know that there's a website attached to the forum.Wink
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 13:28
^ I understand your point. When I mentioned that I expect means that I expect everybody, or at least almost everybody (excluding the curious), behave like that.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 14:36
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Maybe I'm too naive, but I expect people to check the ratings and reviews in order to help them make the decision to buy or not an album.

You should think that people do that ... on the other hand, people keep creating threads asking for recommendations or even particular album ... sometimes you wonder whether they even know that there's a website attached to the forum.Wink

Well threads like "if I like album x, what else would I like" can't necessarily be answered by reviews.  And besides, interaction helps (not to mention tastes change).
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 17:19
I don't trust reviews at all. Practically no one has my outlook, views, tastes, preferences, criteria, etc.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 19:09
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Well threads like "if I like album x, what else would I like" can't necessarily be answered by reviews.  And besides, interaction helps (not to mention tastes change).

Sometimes reviews also answer questions like that. And on some websites even the album pages themselves list related albums - those lists are typically compiled from ratings and genre/tag assignments. No need for a forum ... it may be nice and more personal to ask for recommendations in a forum and get specific answers, but on the other hand all the energy to write those answers could IMO more effectively be used elsewhere. That's what I'm trying to achieve on my website, regardless of whether people help me or not ... a website which gives people the opportunity to enter information in a way which is much more efficient than forum threads could ever be.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - August 02 2008 at 19:13
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 19:19
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

I don't trust reviews at all. Practically no one has my outlook, views, tastes, preferences, criteria, etc.

So then how can you possibly hope to find music you like? 

OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 20:31
I think that we should rate all albums on a Single star system, with increments of  1 star at a time, that way all the music will be good! Hooray!

Back to reality; I think 10 stars, or 5 stars, with .5's would be good. the 4-5 is too big a jump currently, most stuff on the site lies in between in my own opinion.

Edited by OzzProg - August 02 2008 at 20:33
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 01:57
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Last.fm recommendations are pretty good, and Pandora is a great resource as well (especially since I can listen to the entire song beforehand). A good number of stuff I find is also by random chance.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 09:17

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Last.fm recommendations are pretty good, and Pandora is a great resource as well (especially since I can listen to the entire song beforehand). A good number of stuff I find is also by random chance.

you have the right idea in a way....  the reviews worth reading.. are those that talk about the album... to describe it...  in the end who gives a sh*t if the guy likes it or not... judging by how many rate Genesis so high.. I sure as hell wouldn't trust many people's tastes either hahahha. 

seriously though..   reviews aren't for expressing like or dislike.. the good ones at least for describing an album and giving us an idea of what we might expect on an album (another reason why I stay away from 'popular' albums for the most part when reviewing).  That's why I've always given two ratings when reviewing..  one for my personal take on the album for the few that care or having matching tastes to mine.. and a second to where I think they fall in relation to other album by the artist or sub-genre they are in.  We all can be objective creatures after all,  and can differentiate between what we like.. and real gems of prog.   
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 00:53
I feel exactly the same levels of frustration expressed by FF way back at the 2nd post on this thread . I never knew there were so many Masterpieces out there until I started reading these ratings and reviews . I'm glad I take no notice as I would now be broke after having bought them all and I would have a house full of shiny drinks coasters and a garden full of trees with shiny revolving discs dangling there to keep the mina birds and other vermin away.

But in fairness to you 5 star recidivists, you can't help yourselves, can you, when you only have 5 levels to work within . Therefore, for what it is worth, a system out of 10 or more would have to be better . Then we could view anyone who awarded the max. with a much greater amount of cynicism than we do currently........if that is at all possible Why? Because you would have more levels to choose from yet still demonstrate your unabashed self-serving bias towards your "masterpiece" of the day.

[P.S. Now, I would like to apologise for my unbridled cynicism on this topic, but I won't.......and it's good night from him].
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 04:39
I still think that a reviewer should state his perspective, I have refrained from reviewing DSOTM by Floyd, simply because I would give it NO STARS (if that was possible), it's a pop record with excellent production and sound effects, in no way a good example of progressive nor Psychedelic Rock.
But then again, I'm not impressed with any Floyd except Wish You were Here....
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 10:33
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I agree with The T about the  half points.

There are a lort of albums that I rated with 5 stars that don't deserve to be at the peak, but neither they deserve a 4 stars.

Mainly becauise we have albums that are ESSENTIAL but not MASTERPIECES, so this albums should deserve more than 4 stars but not the maximum rate.

Some time ago I proposed a .5 system rating in the Collaborators section that I can't find, but it was similar to this:

5 stars: Essential, a Masterpiece of Progressive Rock
4.5 stars: Not a masterpiece (even wen close to this status), still essential for any Prog Collection
4 stars: Excellent addition to any prog music collection
3.5 stars: Excelent addition to most fans of the genre
3 stars: Good but no essential
2.5 stars: Average
2 stars: Collectors and fans only
1.5 stars: Diehard fans only
1 Star: Poor. Only for completionists
0.5 stars: Better avoid it

I believe this would work, but it would be hard to adapt the system.

Iván

THIS IS WHAT THIS WEB SITE NEED AND IT NEEDS IT NOW.

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Let me use GENESIS as my perfect example of how imperfect is the rating system for me...

Selling England, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and A Trick of the Tail would get 5 stars no question. And I gave them 5 stars.

And then there were Three (an album I love and think it's THE underrated album) would get a 4.5 from me... but I'll have to give it a 5.

The Lamb, Tresspass and Wind and Wuthering would receive 4 stars. And they have.

Duke would receive 3.5, but I'll have to give it either 3 or 4. But I think it's better than:

We can't Dance would receive 3, and has.

Calling all stations and Abacab would receive 2.5, but as unavailable, have received 3.

From Genesis to Revelation would get 2, and has.

Genesis ("shapes") would receive 1.5, as it's better than the one below but worse than those above, but as unavailable, in this case I round off and gave it one.

Invisible Touch gets a 1.

So, 10 rating-steps are necessary... Tongue

(same case with my lowest reviews: Kayo Dot's DAWCT would get 1.5, and Sigur Ros a 0.5... and some of my 5-star would be 4.5.... ) The system is too rigid!! 

GREAT EXEMPLIFICATION! ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

The only question: What to do about the old ratings?

The longer you guys take to fix this, more ratings will need fixing. There are even some of them that suggest middle rating in the latest progressive rock music reviews at the site home page RIGHT NOW. If the old reviews suggest middle rating fine, change the grade but if they don't, do nothing; it will be a long and terribly boring job for the mod-team but i just HAVE to me done.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 10:52
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

The only question: What to do about the old ratings?

The longer you guys take to fix this, more ratings will need fixing. There are even some of them that suggest middle rating in the latest progressive rock music reviews at the site home page RIGHT NOW. If the old reviews suggest middle rating fine, change the grade but if they don't, do nothing; it will be a long and terribly boring job for the mod-team but i just HAVE to me done.

You're preaching to the choir here ... if I had to decide this, I would simply implement the change and leave the old ratings as they are. They're still valid - many of them could even be corrected automatically, by looking for remarks in the review texts (review texts containing "3.5" could be automatically corrected to 3.5, or at least they could be candidates for a manual correction), but even those which can't be corrected may simply less accurate than the reviewer wished for.

But I am not the one who can decide this ... and as long as the owners don't want to make this change, it won't happen - and we'll have to accept it.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 15:11
^I'm all for the change in the system, as I've said like 9586 times. But as of right now, I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL if I could just log in and browse the forum without tearing my hair off my head for the continuous errors...Cry

So, let's fix the chaos first. Then I guess we should re-starts discussing this which in my view needs to be done.  
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 15:25
I really think that after five years or whatever of discussing this with no change, it would be best if one of the admins would just make a stickied thread saying that this change won't happen and post a few reasons why.  And then close it.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 15:31
It's not an admin decision. M@x is the site owner and webmaster, and right now he's up to his proverbials in sorting out the performance issues. He's aware of the request from some members for greater flexibility in the ratings, but it would mean a lot of work for him in rewriting the site.

Never say never, but personally I don't see anything happening in the short term on this. I repeat though, the Admin team is not involved in the decision, we just express opinions like everyone else.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 16:07
Alright, fair enough.  At some point it would be nice to get a definite yes/no answer, though, rather than debating it endlessly as has been happening since I joined the site.

If there isn't a definite answer at some point once the performance issues are sorted out, we both know it will continue to be debated without end.  The pros and cons have, at this point, been driven home; there's really no debate left there.  Really, all that can be done now is figuring out how/if to change the old ratings if it does happen, or to drop the issue if it doesn't.
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 19:30
Yep.......
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234