Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 20:46
Exceptional Rock band: tremendous bass player, fierceful drummer, lovely, yet powerful singer, and a amazing song-writer.

My faves:
#1 Who Are You
#2 Quadrophenia
#3 Face Dances
#4 Who's Next
#5 My Generation

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 17:05
Absolutely top-notch, cutting-edge rock band - I reckon they helped set the stage for Prog simply by going out there with that "Anything's possible because we want it to be" attitude combined with great musicianship.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 10:43
One of the greatest bands ever.
My favourite albums:
1. Who's Next
2. Tommy
3. Who Sell Out
4. Quadrophenia
5. A Quick One

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 00:59

I love The Who. I got into them when I was a freshmen in highschool which was about eight or so years ago. For the longest time Kieth Moon was my favorite drummer. He's still in my top five but the number one spot currently belongs to Neil Pert : ) John Entwistle is an amazing bass player, Pete Townshend is a very talented and unique guitarist and song writer. Roger Daltry can really sing. I've always thought of the who as a very talented band that really developed a great sound and playing style, moon and entwistle are a very good rythm section. My favorite albums would be Whos Next, Tommy, Quadrophenia and Live at Leeds. Love the live versions of a quick one, tatoo, sparks and young man blues.

" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 19:26
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Exceptional Rock band: tremendous bass player, fierceful drummer, lovely, yet powerful singer, and a amazing song-writer.

My faves:
#1 Who Are You
#2 Quadrophenia
#3 Face Dances
#4 Who's Next
#5 My Generation

Interesting choice with Face Daces as it is often forgotten.

I don't know if I've posted on this page before, but I have expressed my love for The Who frequently on other threads. To me, they have one of the most unique and identifiable sounds in rock music. Boundary pushing and to me the ultimate Art Rock group because they mastered both (Art and Rock) with such professionalism and proficiency it is simply stunning. Their evolution as a band saw the gradual and ultimate coexistence of the two terms.

My favorites (studio only)
1. Who's Next
2. Sell Out
3. Quadrophenia
4. Who are You
5. By the Numbers

Edited by mr.cub - June 17 2009 at 19:27

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 19:47
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

My faves:
#1 Who Are You
#2 Quadrophenia
#3 Face Dances
#4 Who's Next
#5 My Generation

Interesting choice with Face Daces as it is often forgotten.

I don't know if I've posted on this page before, but I have expressed my love for The Who frequently on other threads. To me, they have one of the most unique and identifiable sounds in rock music. Boundary pushing and to me the ultimate Art Rock group because they mastered both (Art and Rock) with such professionalism and proficiency it is simply stunning. Their evolution as a band saw the gradual and ultimate coexistence of the two terms.

My favorites (studio only)
1. Who's Next
2. Sell Out
3. Quadrophenia
4. Who are You
5. By the Numbers

Well The Quiet One is in Face Dances, so you might have expected thatWink Though by no means it's my fave song, songs like Did you Steal my Money? or Cache, Cache or You, they're just superb for me, John's bass is very in front which is something I love. By the way, the fact that it features a lot of keyboards is another highlight for me. So yeah, for me it's one fantastic album, the only stinkers are coincidentally or maybe ironic are the singles(You Better, You Bet and Don't Let Go the Coat, Daily Records may also be...)
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:02
The Who are my second or third favorite band. While I'm devoted to Pink Floyd as my #1 since I was ~13, Only Genesis is a serious challenger for my attention next to the Who.

I'm perfectly willing to point out that the Who had a far more progressive vision at heart, at least in the person of Townshend, then Yes has ever relayed to me (even on Relayer!). Yes simply happened to be Symphonic. The Who to me are undeniably pulled into Mod-Rock and R&B, and later Hard Rock standard, but the orientation to Prog is almost obvious to me. Keith Moon and Daltry may not have been into this type of Music but the songwriters John and especially Pete were very convincingly heading progward at times. Anyone who wrote the Seeker, Who's Next and Quadrophenia would be considered a Prog Artist by me whether it was delivered as a solo violin piece or symphonic.

I simply love the personalities of the bandmembers and their great solo output as well. Whistle Rhymes and Pete's stuff is great.

Sangria View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:18
The Who are one of those bands that, even though they are brilliant, I just can't get into emotionally. I need that, wether it's getting amped up for a workout or zoning out at sunset on the beach with a nice cold pitcher of............Sangria. I acknowledge that they are a great band, but I, personally don't get anything out of their music.
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:19

Excellent points Pablo because I would say John's bass really came to the forefront more and more with each subsequent release after Who's Next. It was always ever present, but something happened with Quadrophenia (maybe the Thunderbird IV bass...I don't know) and his bass just developed into this three headed wonder. Likewise, Townsend began using the keyboard more (with the exception of By The Numbers) and the guitar gradually became less accentuated. Moon's death obviously led to more of this front and center basswork

Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

The Who are my second or third favorite band. While I'm devoted to Pink Floyd as my #1 since I was ~13, Only Genesis is a serious challenger for my attention next to the Who.

I'm perfectly willing to point out that the Who had a far more progressive vision at heart, at least in the person of Townshend, then Yes has ever relayed to me (even on Relayer!). Yes simply happened to be Symphonic. The Who to me are undeniably pulled into Mod-Rock and R&B, and later Hard Rock standard, but the orientation to Prog is almost obvious to me. Keith Moon and Daltry may not have been into this type of Music but the songwriters John and especially Pete were very convincingly heading progward at times. Anyone who wrote the Seeker, Who's Next and Quadrophenia would be considered a Prog Artist by me whether it was delivered as a solo violin piece or symphonic.

I simply love the personalities of the bandmembers and their great solo output as well. Whistle Rhymes and Pete's stuff is great.

ClapClapClapHeart  They are just more Rock oriented: that's all.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:21

Excellent points Pablo because I would say John's bass really came to the forefront more and more with each subsequent release after Who's Next. It was always ever present, but something happened with Quadrophenia (maybe the Thunderbird IV bass...I don't know) and his bass just developed into this three headed wonder. Likewise, Townsend began using the keyboard more (with the exception of By The Numbers) and the guitar gradually became less accentuated. Moon's death obviously led to more of this front and center basswork

Yeah, definitely there's less guitar, but still don't get how Face Dances has a rating of 1.96!!! Soon will prepare my 4 stars review, and my 5 stars Who Are You review, stay in tune!Wink
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:24

Yeah, definitely there's less guitar, but still don't get how Face Dances has a rating of 1.96!!! Soon will prepare my 4 stars review, and my 5 stars Who Are You review, stay in tune!Wink

Excellent call with Who Are You. A very refreshing album, can't wait for the review. I will have to get around to reviewing the Moon catalouge as I've only reviewed Tommy through Quadrophenia

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:27

Excellent call with Who Are You. A very refreshing album, can't wait for the review. I will have to get around to reviewing the Moon catalouge as I've only reviewed Tommy through Quadrophenia

Keep your reviews comin'! They're really good! Would like to see your opinion on Who Are You, Face Dances, and their early albums! (no pushing/pressure intendedWink)
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:32

Keep your reviews comin'! They're really good! Would like to see your opinion on Who Are You, Face Dances, and their early albums! (no pushing/pressure intendedWink)

LOL Alrighty. Now that I have no school until college in the fall I might just get back into the swing of writing reviews. I'm just very meticulous. Maybe I'll set my goal at one a week Confused

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:32
Yes, but do they also have people fooled?  Who are they?  Who who who who who?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:33

LOL Alrighty. Now that I have no school until college in the fall I might just get back into the swing of writing reviews. I'm just very meticulous. Maybe I'll set my goal at one a week Confused

That's okay, I sometimes don't write at all for 2 weeks, and then "Zas!" 3 reviews appear! and then more...Tongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Who are you to call us fools? You fool no one! You are the fool!

mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 20:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

They fooled me at hello...

ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 05:33
The Who were part of my teenage days. I highly praised "Tommy", "Quadrophenia" and the superb "Live At Leeds" in the superb Deluxe double CD version (at the time of release, I only got the one vinyl LP).

Two years ago,I witnessed a concert form The Who (fourth row) and it was a very emotional evening. Great songs, great set, Pete & Roger happy to be there and close to the audience.

The whole concert hall was standing, dancing and singing during the superb "Won't Get Fooled Again". What a memorable moment!
ZowieZiggy
Trianium View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 05:17
One of my favourite bands. I like so much albums like Who's Next, Who Are you, Quadrophenia and Tommy.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 05:27
I always loved the Who, they were our best local band, though I  regret  that i was born too late to see them play in the Mod dives like the Oldfield or the Railway Hotel, though i knew a few who did.  I was finally rewarded with a great show at Wembley two years ago and bought a DVD of the show Big smile
Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>