Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [10.83%]
107 [89.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:25
Now what I wonder...how rare is it to have a female who is both proghead AND metalhead?
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:29

Actually when I was younger.. I was probably both...

But in the last few years, I've strayed away from metal... and now find it a bit irritating.  Maybe I'm tired of being angry!!

THIS IS ELP
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 11:32
It's not all angry...you've just got to find the right bands.
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:35
I´d like to try a shemale.....like Reed 
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:49

Female progheads AND metal heads? Hmm, you’re pushing it a little, FloydWright. Metal is raw-hormones stuff.

I suppose given the right mood, I don’t mind a little shot of adrenaline from Opeth, Ayreon or Devin Townsend (who just about blew me away when I first heard him). Even then, I can only take so much of it at a time, although I can understand the attraction when you’re 18 and in a kick-a$$ kind of mood.

Just don't hold your breath, though: women like Threefates are one in a million (and I'm thrilled to have her with us!).

Good thread, btw.

Boo

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:52
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Very limited choice in this poll.Confused

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 13:54

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

I´d like to try a shemale.....like Reed 

Well I've never tried a Shemale ! Confused

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:19
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

Female progheads AND metal heads? Hmm, you’re pushing it a little, FloydWright. Metal is raw-hormones stuff.

I suppose given the right mood, I don’t mind a little shot of adrenaline from Opeth, Ayreon or Devin Townsend (who just about blew me away when I first heard him).

Even then, I can only take so much of it at a time, although I can understand the attraction when you’re 18 and in a kick-a$$ kind of mood.</SPAN>

I hope you're being sarcastic with the "hormones" thing.

Oh, and I'm older than 18...heck, when I was 18, I wouldn't have had an open enough mind to listen to any metal (even though I would've liked some more intense music even then).

It's always amused me how people assume all metal is angry and intended to get one into a mood to go around breaking stuff or something...well, I personally think Pink Floyd (Roger Waters) has written stuff far angrier than a lot of metal I listen to. Yeah, it's at a slower tempo, but boy, talk about nasty, pissy stuff.

SOME metal is angry...but some of it is what I'd describe as a more "triumphal", epic sort. Bands like Symphony X and Ayreon and Blind Guardian tend more towards this stuff. You'll get flashes of aggression, but they don't dwell on it...they know how to do the full range of moods.

Edited by FloydWright
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:27

Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

Hey, I still listen to AC/DC when I need to get the house cleaned quickly....   See with them its not angry.. its more comedy mixed with the adrenaline of a roller coaster ride.. I'm not kidding, put on "The Razor's Edge" and see what I mean.  During "Fire Your Guns"... I can get my entire house mopped....

THIS IS ELP
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:36

Yes, of course I was joking about the “hormone” thing. A woman my age can’t get around the subject easily (believe me: those “flashes of aggression” aren’t just a teenage thing...)

Seriously, you’re absolutely right about Roger Waters’ nasty lyrics; in fact, they’re downright depressing. What it is about metal is the raw energy that we immediately associate with anger. Like you said, the “triumphal” epic sort can be quite uplifting. I don’t know much about Symphony X or Blind Guardian, but I must may give them a try since you put them in that last category.

Oh, and thanks for the tip, Threefates!

Hibou

Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:39

Now what I wonder...how rare is it to have a female who is both proghead AND metalhead?

ok possible.. how about AND metalhead AND handsome

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 14:46
Originally posted by Radioactive Toy Radioactive Toy wrote:

Uh-oh, from here on, you're on your own, guys... unless you still believe in the tooth fairie   

Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 15:35
I iz Male and I am "pheasant prepared the correct way......."

Edited by Swinton MCR
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:12
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

Yes, of course I was joking about the “hormone” thing. A woman my age can’t get around the subject easily (believe me: those “flashes of aggression” aren’t just a teenage thing...

LOL, OK! And yeah, I know what you mean about not growing out of the "flashes of aggression"...the worst part is knowing you're doing it, but you feel SO DAMN JUSTIFIED even as your higher mind is saying to you, "Hey, you're off your nut!"

Quote Seriously, you’re absolutely right about Roger Waters’ nasty lyrics; in fact, they’re downright depressing. What it is about metal is the raw energy that we immediately associate with anger. Like you said, the “triumphal” epic sort can be quite uplifting. I don’t know much about Symphony X or Blind Guardian, but I must may give them a try since you put them in that last category.

Symphony X fits that most...BG tends to go back and forth a bit more. I mean, sometimes you just DO get angry, and better to scream along to some metal than go around screaming in people's faces. My opinion, anyway.

But really, a good bit of their stuff is fantasy oriented, and even if you get nothing else, check out Nightfall in Middle Earth. This one's not prog, though...so I dunno how you'll like it. But it's power metal, so not too excessive, in my opinion.

The raw energy...great description of it. That kind of energy can come out in a whole lot of different emotions. Sometimes I can be seen in a coffee shop kinda tapping my foot along with a metal album (no, I do NOT try to keep up with the double-bass...that would be stupid!), but often smiling. Believe it or not, one of the things that got me to expect high-energy music and huge dynamic changes was growing up on classical music. People think soft little piano sonatas and minuets is all it is...ohhhhh no.

Ayreon's also cool, but I think you said earlier in the thread you've already discovered them...good!

What's funny about the Roger Waters stuff...I traded in most of his music about the same time I was acquiring a lot of new metal albums--because I wanted something more positive! I kid you not!

Originally posted by Radioactive Toy Radioactive Toy wrote:

That I cannot be any judge of!

Edited by FloydWright
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:44
Roger Waters has always been a angry guy.  Except I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he was actually smiling a lot more than I've ever seen him.  Probably a new girlfriend...
THIS IS ELP
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:45

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Roger Waters has always been a angry guy.  Except I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he was actually smiling a lot more than I've ever seen him.  Probably a new girlfriend...

........or a memory from the past that made him chuckle..Evil Smile

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 23:07

Roger Waters has always been a angry guy. Except I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he was actually smiling a lot more than I've ever seen him. Probably a new girlfriend...

Um...you mean you saw him at a concert, or something?
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 23:11

Hey, I still listen to AC/DC when I need to get the house cleaned quickly....   See with them its not angry.. its more comedy mixed with the adrenaline of a roller coaster ride.. I'm not kidding, put on "The Razor's Edge" and see what I mean.  During "Fire Your Guns"... I can get my entire house mopped....

AC/DC? I really do like 'em (the raw energy they give off), but it's essentially the same 3 chords in every song. I sometimes get their songs mixed up.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 23:20

Roger Waters has always been a angry guy. Except I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he was actually smiling a lot more than I've ever seen him. Probably a new girlfriend...

Um...you mean you saw him at a concert, or something?

I saw him and Nick Mason recently at Nick Mason's book signing here in NYC.  I think I wrote a whole thread here on it somewhere.. and included pictures.  Even one of Roger... he got a real chuckle out of what Nick signed in my book... it was funny!

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 00:09

I have been away sleeping while you all have been having a good chat on this subject.

I will add my 2 cents worth and say that IMO it is relatively uncommon but not rare to be female who is both proghead and metalhead. It seems all you ladies have and do still enjoy that energy and agression that listening to a bit of metal does for your health - if anything else! 

I think that is terrific! I am probably less Metalhead now than what I was a few years ago. But when the mood strikes - nothing better than turning on AC/DC or Stratovarius up very loud. I believe that it is a sign of openess to music of all kinds and I credit that to my parents who made me listen to classical music starting from a very young age. From there I went to Jazz - I remember being absolutely entranced with Dave Brubeck when I was about 7 years old. The rest is another story.

I am proud to be a female who appreciates both Prog and Metal - with more emphasis on Prog. I appreciate all the tips of what groups to go try out like Symphony X and Blind Guardian - nothing better than exploring new areas in a music genre I have a great fondness for. Cheers

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>