Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolo Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Fave Song?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.19%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.76%]
1 [1.19%]
9 [10.71%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [10.71%]
4 [4.76%]
3 [3.57%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.38%]
18 [21.43%]
4 [4.76%]
2 [2.38%]
1 [1.19%]
9 [10.71%]
6 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [9.52%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.19%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 18:03
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

Ringo Starr's drumming on Abbey Road is constantly inventive. Some modern drummers iritate me, because they need to know less is more - but he always makes me listen for the right reasons.

I love his drumming on that album, I think it's definitely his best and it makes him one of my favourite drummers.

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 09:21
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

By the way, Alan White, Yes`drummer, played with Lennon in the "Imagine" album and in the "Instant Karma" single. He also appears in some tracks from Harrison`s "All things must pass" album, but it is impossible to kwow on which tracks he played.

Phil Collins also played congas on "All Things Must Pass" (allegedly).

Yes. It seems that he played congas  in the song called "Art of Dying", as the allthingsmustpass.com website said when I visited it when the album was re-issued in 2001 . I don`t know if the website is still available in the web.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 09:26
Originally posted by SgtPepper67 SgtPepper67 wrote:

Ringo Starr's drumming on Abbey Road is constantly inventive. Some modern drummers iritate me, because they need to know less is more - but he always makes me listen for the right reasons.

I love his drumming on that album, I think it's definitely his best and it makes him one of my favourite drummers.

Ringo`s drumming was praised in the "The Beatles Recording Sessions" book (written by Mark Lewisohn, 1988) even by George Martin, who said that Ringo is a very good time keeper and that he rarely made mistakes during the recording sessions.

I think that Ringo is also a humble person, and his funny commentaries in the "Anthology" video are very good, maybe the best done by any member of the band in that video.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 09:49
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Pretty much anything off the Plastic Ono Band album - Working Class Hero, Love, Isolation etc.  Phil Spector's stripped back production is perfectly suited to Lennon's soul-baring songs. At the time of writing Lennon was experimenting with primal scream therapy - the album communicates a similarly cathartic experience.  In my opinion it is the best of all the post-Beatles albums.

Yep.  Summed up nicely.  Clap

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 14:58
I always preferred Lennon.

My vote goes to #9 Dream

Edited by earlyprog - July 27 2009 at 06:06
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 02:55
I do not think that Lennon and Mccartney were more than adequate without each other. John needed McCartney's genius for melodies (Some Time in New York City album on Apple 1972) and Paul needed to be restrained from indulging in too much whimsy (Wild Life album on Apple 1971). George Harrison also required the influence of the other Beatles. His songwriting,  as in something on Abbey Road,  seemed to point the way to a successful solo career that was nver fulfilled (Dark Horse album 1974). 

Wings' made one strong album, Band On the Run, which sounded as though it consisted of material held back from the Beatles, a bit like Phil Collins' first solo album which  came across like demos for Genesis. Strangely, John Lennon's poetry (not lyric writing) is very interesting and a bit underrated. Of course post-Beatles he was in the thrall of, and incapacitated by, the talentless Yoko Ono. Other Beatles/Apple Corps-associated musicians did not fare much better. Badfinger endured the terrible tragedy of a double suicide while Harry Nilsson suffered the indignity, on his death, of having Without You covered by Mariah Carey.       
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 09:27
Interesting that the biggest catagory for 3 of the Fab Four is "other"
enemyofthesundevils View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 13:15

John Lennon- Watching The Wheels

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 14:23

I do not think that Lennon and Mccartney were more than adequate without each other. John needed McCartney's genius for melodies (Some Time in New York City album on Apple 1972) and Paul needed to be restrained from indulging in too much whimsy (Wild Life album on Apple 1971). George Harrison also required the influence of the other Beatles. His songwriting,  as in something on Abbey Road,  seemed to point the way to a successful solo career that was nver fulfilled (Dark Horse album 1974). 

Wings' made one strong album, Band On the Run, which sounded as though it consisted of material held back from the Beatles, a bit like Phil Collins' first solo album which  came across like demos for Genesis. Strangely, John Lennon's poetry (not lyric writing) is very interesting and a bit underrated. Of course post-Beatles he was in the thrall of, and incapacitated by, the talentless Yoko Ono. Other Beatles/Apple Corps-associated musicians did not fare much better. Badfinger endured the terrible tragedy of a double suicide while Harry Nilsson suffered the indignity, on his death, of having Without You covered by Mariah Carey.       

That's okay, it wasn't his song!
SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 18:31
Even is not "typical" Lennon solo song, I voted for WOMAN. The greatest song he wrote after Beatles era and one of his best, in my opinion.

terransage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 21:47
I think part of the reason George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" album did so well right off the bat is because he'd been overshadowed so much by Paul and John.  When he was finally out from under their shadow (sorry that I keep on using the shadow metaphor), he blossomed.  (Flower metaphor.  Hm.)  Also, he had written some--or most?--of those songs while with the Beatles, which was a hotbed of creativity.  

That was my metaphor quota for the day.Dead
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 17:38
John Lennon's Working Class Hero Smile
alanerc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 00:13
Hare Krishna