Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome Classical Music Fan Here ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:35
Originally posted by fm0210 fm0210 wrote:

Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

that's just my personnal opinion...make the comparaison and you will see what I mean

Also Dmitri Shostakovich's concerto in A minor figures among the top

Have you listened to Shostakovich's string quartets no. 8 & 9? impressive!

Is the 8th that quartet made with several themes from previous DSCH's compositions ?

haas View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:41
I'm really gonna purchase a cd with those concerto's off Khatchaturian on it!
"the attraction of the virtuoso for the public is very like that of the circus for the crowd. there is always the hope that something dangerous may happen" - Claude Debussy
ita_prog_fan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:45

I've listened to Khatchaturian's violin Concerto yesterday night...maybe the most beautiful and emotionnal piece I've ever heard...for me it's better than pieces you mentionned about Debussy

Khatchaturian's violin concerto is a very exhilarant piece of music and very difficult to be perfomed (listen to 1965 Oistrach version, is the best... the concert was written just for him !), but IMHO is a virtuoso piece, it remains only on the surface of the musical matter.

However i like it very much !  

nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:56

Originally posted by ita_prog_fan ita_prog_fan wrote:

Did you attend a performance with all the fanfares at the corners of the church !?

List of composers i really don't like: Berlioz , Sanit-Saens, Mendelsohnn, Chaikosvky, Rachmaninov, Skryabin, Paganini.

It wasn't a church: it was the second concert in the recently opened Bridgewater Hall in Manchester (at the end of 1996 if I remember well); for the very first concert they had the Queen there and the Hallè Orchestra (with Kent Nagano) choose some "easier" music - with some Elgar, of course. The second one, Berlioz's Requiem, was the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Yan Pascal Tortelier and yes, the fanfares were in all the four corners, but noy only that: also parts of the choirs were divided in different places in all the corners of the auditorium. I still shiver when I remember that...

I agree with your dislike of Tchaikovsky and Paganini. I think Tchaikovsky is to many other composers what ELP are to Genesis (pun intended), and Paganini... well that should be Dream Theater's "fireworks" (again intended)  But give me their music better than silence, if you know what I mean...

But I don't agree with you regarding Berlioz, Mendelssohn and, above all, Rachmaninov!!! I'm not familiar enough with Skryabin. Have you ever listened to Mendelssohn's Eliah Oratorio or some of his organ music? And Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony or 2nd-3rd piano concertos?

Anyway, taste is very personal. I can't stand music from the Renaissance, for example...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 13:08

Originally posted by nacho nacho wrote:

Have you ever listened to Mendelssohn's Eliah Oratorio or some of his organ music? And Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony or 2nd-3rd piano concertos?

YES !  

That's why i don't like them !    

About Skryabin must be said that some piano sonatas are genial and they are worth a visit, but in general he represents all the boasting stupidity of his age (decadentism, M.me Blavatsky, laudanum, Gabriele Dannunzio... ).

... ABOUT ELP AND GENESIS... U  R  RIGHT !!!!!!!

Edited by ita_prog_fan
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 13:35

Have you ever listened to Mendelssohn's Eliah Oratorio or some of his organ music? And Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony or 2nd-3rd piano concertos?

YES !  

OK, you go and clean your ears immediately!!!

No, seriously, I had another look at your top ten list at the beginning, and I think it doesn't fit that you put Brahms and Schubert in the 3rd and 4th positions and then completely dislike Mendelssohn. What makes the big difference? I would put them quite close from a musical point of view...

Just a curiosity. He hasn't been mentioned before: do you like Alban Berg?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 15:17

YES !  

OK, you go and clean your ears immediately!!!

No, seriously, I had another look at your top ten list at the beginning, and I think it doesn't fit that you put Brahms and Schubert in the 3rd and 4th positions and then completely dislike Mendelssohn. What makes the big difference? I would put them quite close from a musical point of view...

Just a curiosity. He hasn't been mentioned before: do you like Alban Berg?

"Der Platz ist verflucht !" Wozzeck says in the first act of the opera... but i'm not referring to this forums

I ADORE Alban Berg for his mixture of atonalism and tonal music, it seems that tonality simply didn't want to abandon his brain and entered through backdoors in his music.

My list of greatest violin concerto: Beethoven's, Brahms', Berg's, Bartok's 2, Prokofiev's 1, Mozart's (all the package ), Stravinsky's, DSCH's.

Between Brahms and Mendelsshon there's an ocean of differences they belong to different world, despite form. Schubert is unique, though he lived in Vienna the same years in which Beethoven ruled, though he venerated Beethoven and also knew him in person, his musc was going towards completely different lands, he was der Wanderer and his music is wandering here and there with no apparent structure except what was coming out of his heart (you know that Lieder - songs - form the greater part of his output and in a simple song there's no place for much structural twistings); for these reasons he may be considered the first romantic, and Mendelsshon really romantic was, but he also was well structured, Schumann (who i like but not love) was more close to Mendelsshon.

Anyway, do you want to know what i love the most ? GENIUS !

Brahms' and Schubert's melodies are unmistakable, their music is full of genius you can recognize it in almost every phrase, every chord, Mendelsshon's simply not.

Between Schubert and Mendelsshon there's the same difference between your english and mine !

Edited by ita_prog_fan
haas View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 18:08
NOOOO Bramhs and Schubert are completely different then Mendelsohn.
Brahms and Schubert have filosofy wisdom and intelligence in their music, it's fantastic, full of imagination and emotion.
Mendelsohn on the other hand is very nice music but doesn't have the flair and the intelligent and the emotion of Brahms and Schubert.

ps. This is not only my opinion but of a big part of the classical world (even in the time Mendelsohn lived)
"the attraction of the virtuoso for the public is very like that of the circus for the crowd. there is always the hope that something dangerous may happen" - Claude Debussy
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 19:00

OK, it seems as if I'm in charge of poor Mr. Felix Mendelssohn' defence...

I certainly don't agree with both of you on this "inferiority" of Mendelssohn as compared with Brahms and Schubert. On a second thought, if I have to order them it would be 1. Brahms - 2. Schubert - 3. Mendelssohn; so I also prefer the two former ones, but I can't establish such a big difference among them. Of course one always wonder what could Schubert and Mendelssohn have done had they not died as such an early age.

I can't discuss the ideas of ita_prog_fan, since they are based on taste: you don't like Mendelssohn, it's OK. I do find genious in his music.

Now, Haas claims that it's not only his opinion, but most of the classical world thinks like that, and adds that this happened even when Mendelssoh was alive. Let's see: during his short lifetime Mendelssohn was very appreciated by the public, not only as a performer, but also as a composer. He visited Britain 10 times where he was always acclaimed by the public. I quote from my booklet of the Elijah Oratorio: The première on 26 August (Birmingham, 1946) was a triumphant success, the 2000 strong audience lost all sense of decorum and, breaking with the prevailing custom regarding religious works, positively roared their approval. After Mendelssohn's death, this Oratorio was the most popular choral piece in the British repertoir (more that Messiah!) during the second half of the 19th Century. Beethoven himself expressed his admiration for the young composer and mentioned him as one of the great promises for the future of music. Very few composers were as successful as him in their life time... Oh, by the way, apart from a composer and a performer he was also a very good painter, a very good swimmer, a linguist and an expert in Philosophy...

And now I quote from my Oxford Concise Dictionary of Music: ...his genious as a composer led Bülow to describe him as the most complete master of form after Mozart. In him, a classical upbringing was combined with romantic inclination, imparting to his work a poetic elegance which has caused it to be regarded as superficial because of its lack of impassionated features. The popularity of his work in the 19th century was followed by a severe reaction, partly caused by a puritanical feeling that his life had been too comfortably easy, but the pendulum has swung again and the best qualities of his music, its craftmanship, restraint, poetry, inventive orchestration, and melodic freshness are now highly valued. So, where is your pendulum now, Haas?

Anyway, what I am doing? Mendelssohn is not even close to my top-10!!!

haas View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 19:17
Off course Mendelsohn is a fantastic composer, who made great music. His music doesnt simply have the impact that for example Beethoven or Chopin has.

Still the public goes mad and dictonionary's love it, but the fact that he isn't such a emotional, intelligent and great composer as the real big ones, remains.

ps. I will search for the sources I have to sustain my opinion, but I have to translate them from Dutch.
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 19:25

Originally posted by haas haas wrote:

ps. I will search for the sources I have to sustain my opinion, but I have to translate them from Dutch.

OK, don't worry too much about it. In fact I think we bassically agree that there is a difference; it's only the size of that difference what divides us.

Now, if you write something like that about Bach or Mahler we will have a lenghty discussion here! 

kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 19:40
I like pretty much all of the classical music I've heard (except for the really ligjt and fluffy stuff). One of my favorite pieces is The Planets by Holst (bought it on vinyl after we played Mars in band class). I frequently listen to Moussorgsky John Cage is also very good (if you can call him classical). But my all time favorite composer would definantly have to be Nobuo Uematsu (bonus points if you know what stuff he's done without looking it up).

Edited by kingofbizzare
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 03:55
good, my friend!

try Debussy and Ravel, you'll like them!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 04:17

Originally posted by haas haas wrote:

OK, don't worry too much about it. In fact I think we bassically agree that there is a difference; it's only the size of that difference what divides us.

Now, if you write something like that about Bach or Mahler we will have a lenghty discussion here! 

A very long discussion to discover that... we agree !!!!        

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 13:46

Favourite classical composers :

Most of them are polish classical music composers : Gorecki, Preisner, Zarebski, Paderewski, Kilar / Enesco/ Vaughan Williams / Britten / Bach / Lekeu / Chausson / Koechlin/ Prokofiev

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Vieux Prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 17:43
Hard to write my top-10 list since it would contain 30 or 40
composers , but let me try... in no particular order:

Schubert
JS Bach
Debussy
Prokofiev
Haydn (for his string quartets)
Mussorgsky
Ravel
Brahms
Beethoven (his chamber music more than his symphonies, but it's mostly
a matter of overexposure to the latter)

Some composers I didn't see in previous posts that I enjoy a lot:

Albéniz
De Falla
Gershwin
Copland
Strauss (Richard, not Johann)
Satie

WA Mozart & Chopin leave me just a little cold (not that I don't really like
them, they wrote beautiful things; it's just that they are not what I find
myself listening the most). Paganini, I couldn't care less.

Wagner... has anyone seen a very old Bugs Bunny cartoon called "What's
opera, doc?" It's a pastiche of Wagner and, once I saw it, I cannot
listen to Wagner without laughing
Vieux Prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 17:50

I've listened to Khatchaturian's violin Concerto yesterday
night...maybe the most beautiful and emotionnal piece I've ever heard...for
me it's better than pieces you mentionned about Debussy

What about the 2 violin concertos by Prokofiev?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2005 at 14:15

Originally posted by Vieux Prog Vieux Prog wrote:

I've listened to Khatchaturian's violin Concerto yesterday
night...maybe the most beautiful and emotionnal piece I've ever heard...for
me it's better than pieces you mentionned about Debussy

What about the 2 violin concertos by Prokofiev?

Better than Khatchturian's of course    

nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 18:11
Anybody here has heard Esa Peka Salonen's "Wing on Wing". It has just been recomended to me by a friend but I'd like to have more opinions...
I guess I'll go tomorrow to the music store anyway, but just in case...
nowax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 16:23
HI !

JS BACHS
Mozart
Beethoven
Vivaldi
Grieg

And I am lookng for metal bands who played classical music.
For exemple, Patrick Rondat (seen on progarchives) played the fourth seasons (summer presto), Symphony in one of their titles use a part of N°1052 (harpsichord, by JS BACH). Savatage played Mozart (in the ttitle Mozart and madness).
Do you know some of them, can you help me ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>