Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgPos Blog - Genesis Studio LP Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 21:30
Well, I always like better the live songs when they add something to the song, making impovisations or new arrangements, otherwise, what's the point in having a live album if it's going to be played exactly the same way as the studio album. And often enough I like better the live versions. And I guess it is a point in favor of the artist to be able to make suitable changes to the songs (and make them right) when playing live, than having to play just as it was written on the studio album because otherwise it won't work. I still have to hear more Genesis Live albums to express my opinion on this point for Genesis in particular.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 21:43
 ^ yes and no--  you're correct that Genesis performances can be by-the-numbers as on Genesis Live (though Three Sides Live is rather good), but though I've never seen them, I suspect it would be quite enjoyable to witness the compositions, as written or not.  You simply aren't experiencing the magic on a recording.  That said, seeing Pink Floyd do the exact same show two nights in a row for the AMLoR tour was disappointing.  It depends on the band members, the times, the current musical direction of the band, the very mood of that particular evening.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 22:18
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ yes and no--  you're correct that Genesis performances can be by-the-numbers as on Genesis Live (though Three Sides Live is rather good), but though I've never seen them, I suspect it would be quite enjoyable to witness the compositions, as written or not.  You simply aren't experiencing the magic on a recording.  That said, seeing Pink Floyd do the exact same show two nights in a row for the AMLoR tour was disappointing.  It depends on the band members, the times, the current musical direction of the band, the very mood of that particular evening.

I believe there are bands that should improvise and as a fact do it great, I seen Wakeman and Tull several times and don't imagine a live show sounding as in an album.

But a band like Genesis or Pink Floyd are different, they always sound almost exactly, and casually both are two bands that have a rich atmospheric sound.

For me, the Three Sides Live performance of One for the Vine is disappointing, even when I like the In the Cage performance despite the differences, they made One for the Vine  too light, too 80's, clearly for a new fanbase and without any mystery that is one of the main characteristics of the band and the song in particular.

Remember that even that version was too strong for the USA album and they released Three Sides Live for this country with a fourth studio side with songs as Paperlate, because the new fans only knew the band after Hackett left
But it's only my opinion.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 19 2010 at 22:20

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 22:38
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I believe there are bands that should improvise and as a fact do it great, I seen Wakeman and Tull several times and don't imagine a live show sounding as in an album.

But a band like Genesis or Pink Floyd are different, they always sound almost exactly, and casually both are two bands that have a rich atmospheric sound.

true, though I have some recordings of Floyd in '75 touring WYWH and they had a rougher, more spontaneous approach than later..more like a rock band doing art than an art band doing, or trying to do, rock.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 22:51

true, though I have some recordings of Floyd in '75 touring WYWH and they had a rougher, more spontaneous approach than later..more like a rock band doing art than an art band doing, or trying to do, rock.

You know?

I always believed that this was caused for the historical weight of Dark Side, they didn't had the balls to touch it because everybody had a copy and all the fans wanted to listen it as it sounded in their homes.

WYWH gave them more freedom, it's more a rock album, even the Gilmour solo in Shine on You Crazy Diamond calls for jamming.

But also the eternal conflict between Dave and Roger was a cause for preasure, none of them would had allowed the other to change the tracks too much.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 19 2010 at 22:52

progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 16:02
Two listens to the studio version of Close to the Edge last night...

Question #1:  "I'm my 'mind's ear' can I envision *erasing* Wakey's solo and then replacing it with an equally virtuosic keyboard solo?  When I do so, would the song emerge with very little damage to its overall character?"

Yes.  As far as the organ solo toward the end of the song, I can very much envision *erasing* Wakey's solo and replacing it with a jammin' solo by any number of musicians playing a flashy solo and I think the song would emerge with very little damage to its overall character.  (Vangelis probably wouldn't do the trick - but Ryo Okumoto would...  That is clearly a showcase organ jam moment requiring a particular passion and insensity much more than any particular phrasing or melody.)

Question #2:  "How integrated into the composition as a whole are the keyboard parts in CttE IMO?  How critical is interplay in the arrangement of the piece overall?

I walked away from those listens more impressed with Wakeman than ever.  I'll go as far as to say the keyboard solo at the end of the song is the least impressive aspect of Wakeman's contribution to this song overall.  It isn't that the solo is crappy.  It is that his touch of genius is all over CttE - in subtle (and not so subtle) ways throughout.  I think I'll have much to say on this later when I can reference specific places in CttE where the keys are very integrated into the entirety of the composition.

One final "controversial comment" I can add right now...  I've always felt that Steve Howe - as great as he was (and is!) in concert - got himself in just a tad "over his head" during some of the live performances of the YesSongs era.  He more than "made up" for any amount of imprecision with sheer energy and enthusiasm - creating a concert experience and a YesSongs album experience that is not only vital and exciting - but is also unique from the studio album experience - capable of standing on its own.  But it was an action born more of necessity than from grand design IMO.

Sometimes hearing Howe on YesSongs is a little like watching a high wire act.  There is a certain amount of tension involved... Can he pull this off?  When he does, I exclaim "YES!  He did!"  I can almost feel the sweat dripping from his brow.... 

What Howe (and all of Yes to some extent) did on CttE was truly gutsy.  The parts he contributed through multiple takes and dubs in the studio were so ambitious that it stretched him to his performance peak.  Indeed, many of the band members had to practice quite diligently to recreate workable approximations of the masterpieces they created in the studio within a 'live' context.

And so I'll come out and "say it"... From a strictly compositional standpoint, I do *not* think Howe quite "pulled off" the first frenetic guitar section of CttE successfully on YesSongs.  I won't go as far as to allege that he "ruined the song" of course.  He did manage to recreate some measure of the mood and feeling from the studio version.  And he was clearly cognizent of the importance of remaining true to the key guitar melodic theme that emerges from the chaotic opening section.  I think he does an excellent part of integrating that into the guitar section - so all is not lost by any means...  Squire's bass part *is* spot on and is 100% "mission critical" to the opening section IMO.

Thoughts? 

Edited by progpositivity - April 20 2010 at 23:46
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

For me, the Three Sides Live performance of One for the Vine is disappointing, even when I like the In the Cage performance despite the differences, they made One for the Vine  too light, too 80's, clearly for a new fanbase and without any mystery that is one of the main characteristics of the band and the song in particular.
Remember that even that version was too strong for the USA album and they released Three Sides Live for this country with a fourth studio side with songs as Paperlate, because the new fans only knew the band after Hackett left
But it's only my opinion.
Iván

I wouldn't agree Pink Floyd always sound exactly as in the album (nor Roger Waters Solo). Perhaps indeed many songs remain almost the same, for they are not good to be improvised upon, and perhaps they do not change the other songs as much as other artists might, but I have heard some songs I really like much better live from Pink Floyd. Specially, those songs that end with a guitar solo, Gilmour usually makes them a lot better (for my taste) live, he makes them longer (at least a bit) and more powerful... that's one of the reasons I don't really like the studio version from Comfortably Numb so much any longer, the solo ends all too soon (though the atmosphere is certainly better on the original recording). Waters made MAJOR changes to Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun, and to Welcome to the Machine on the In the Flesh live album (though I wouldn't say I like those versions better, they are good anyway). And what about early Pink Floyd? just about any song they chose to play live (alas, they released too few of those) sounds so much better, longer, more powerful, and even more atmospheric.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 11:11
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

And what about early Pink Floyd? just about any song they chose to play live (alas, they released too few of those) sounds so much better, longer, more powerful, and even more atmospheric.

Well, of course, as a Psych band the jamming was the center of their act.

Just seen a rare version of "Careful with that Axe Eugene" and it's impressive.

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 14:52

It is interesting which sections of a song that band members feel they can take liberties with in concert and which ones they feel are so integral to the song's structure that they need to leave them "as is".  They usually make wise choices IMO but not always.

Most rock and pop music performers (prog and non-prog alike) have to make these decisions when they take their music on the road.   I once heard an interview in which Eddie Van Halen discussed his thought process for guitar solos on his songs in concert.  There are certain sections that he felt he should not change, certain motifs he felt he should *not* abandon during a song's solos lest he change the character of the song and disappoint the fans in the process... Even so, there were other sections in which he felt much more free to improvise...  and then there were situations where he felt obligated to work within the confines of the same motif, melody or riff as the solo on the album even while having freedom to improv with slight (and not so slight) variations.

I only bring EVH up because that interview so clearly illustrates what I'm describing.  But the same thought process applies to proggers as well.

Can you think of any live performances (either in person or on "live" record/CD) that have - at least to some extent - disappointed you due to a change to a song?

On the flip side, have there been any performances (either in person or on "live" record/CD) that have disappointed you to some degree because they left everything virtually unchanged?

Which performances did you think captured a good combination of remaining true to critical themes, motifs and entire sections, while also expanding or changing other elements with improvisation or new arrangements for the live context?

If you are a performer or recording artist, have you ever gone through this type thought process before practicing for a live show?  Or does it seem to "come naturally" to you?

I'll share two examples from my recent listening session to Close to the Edge from YesSongs.  One good and one 'not so good'.

Not so good:
There is an organ run that Wakey adds toward the beginning of the song that is thankfully not on the album - or is mixed so low that I cannot hear it - in which the organ sounds more like something I might hear at a baseball game.  A kind of indiscriminately cheesy type run that I might play if I were asked to just throw something in a song to fill up some space.  To my ears, it is tragically "out of place" in a song of such cosmic proportions and aspirations.  (This is - of course - a highly subjective judgment.  You may consider that a grand addition to the song - but it struck me as sorely 'out of place'.)

Good:
In contradistinction, there is a highly composed passage toward the middle of the song where the bass and guitar introduce a new chord phrasing while Wakeman restates the dominant theme on keyboard at a slower tempo on top.  Excellent counterpoint!  A "high spot" of the song IMO and one I would have sorely missed had they skipped, replaced, or majorly changed during the concert performance.  And they wisely left it the same as on the record.  (If anyone is unsure where I'm talking about in the song, please let me know and I'll be glad to post the approximate running time of this section of the song for you.  I'm at work right now without access to the song but I'll be glad to find it and post it.) 

Edited by progpositivity - April 21 2010 at 14:58
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 19:07
the famous guitar solo on the PULSE DVD concert on Confortably Numb is one of the few times I sensed the presence of somthing godlike, and the HUGE disco ball opening upp and revealing a flower.
I saw Yes in December and they were amazing and the new singer was great
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 12:13

The guitar solo from Comfortably Numb is very melodically uplifting - which creates an interesting sense of temporary 'relief' to the struggles depicted by the narrator in the song.  It paints an emotional "sound picture" of the protaganist's memories of an elusive " fleeting glimpse out of the corner of his eye" of something good and bigger than him and all of his problems.   Your emotional response speaks volumes about its effectiveness.  Truly one of rock music's "great guitar solos". 

As such, this is a guitar solo that simply *must* retain key melodic elements or else the song would be fundamentally changed.  Fans would be so incredibly disappointed if DG just improvosed a totally different melody at that point of the song.  (I know I would!).  Sure DG can embellish a little phrasing or add an extra note here and there - but during the key melodic sequences, the fundamental motif absolutely *must* remain.  Of course, he can extend the solo - even double or triple its length, with the 2nd and 3rd time around becoming an improv-fest if he wants...  So sometimes one can get "the best of both worlds" after all! 

Glad to hear you enjoyed Yes in concert recently - even if Jon couldn't make the trip.  Opinions are destined to be "divided" with a Jon-clone singing.  But it Jon can't make it, David sounds like "the next best thing"! 

Funny thing... When I first heard David Benoit was going to fill in to sing on this tour I thought "the jazz pianist can *sing*?"!   Wouldn't *that* have been wild if it had been the same "David Benoit"!!!  LOL

Edited by progpositivity - April 22 2010 at 12:18
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 20:18

This song may be more 'crossover' than prog... but I've always *loved* Kerry Livgren's guitar solo on the Kansas song "Carry on My Wayward Son".  The part where he steps down the scale with 4 staccato notes before speeding up... there is such a sense of economy, every note is just so *perfect*! 

That is certainly a solo that I would want him to replicate "note for note" in concert (as he did when I saw him in the 70's.  Great show!  Steve Walsh was so full of energy.  Jumping all over the stage like a mad mand.  Playing keyboards while jumping all over the place!)
Ethos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 20:53
Guitar:
Steve Hackett - Firth of Fifth

Keyboard
Rick Wakeman-Awaken
"As sure as Eggs is Eggs."
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 21:00
Steve Hackett, the song 12 from Neal morse`s album ?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 21:07
Tempano - Selective Memory - Argos
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 12:09
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Steve Hackett, the song 12 from Neal morse`s album ?

I didn't even realize Hackett played on that album!  Now I simply must track it down and give it a listen!  Big smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 21:15

Before I can righfully move on to the next Genesis stuio album in my 'mini-tour', I *owe* an update on my TRESPASS listening experience. 

I had expected The Knife to be the clear standout track from the entire album, but repeated listens (with full attention) have yielded an unexpected result.  Stagnation has turned out to be my favorite. 

I hope you will forgive me for hearing snatches of early classic Moody Blues (In Search of the Lost Chord era) here and there during some of the quieter moments of TRESPASS.  The song Dusk is the most obvious (but not the only) example.  The Moodies had so many slick hits that it sometimes gets easy to forget how organic and cosmic, mellow and artistic they could be back in those early days. 

I also hear some unexpected stylistic 'common ground' with Gentle Giant's Three Friends album. 

I now believe I have *absorbed* this album enough to *graduate* on to the next Genesis stuio LP.  NURSERY CRYME!!!

One final note to come 'full circle' back to the beginning theme of the blog.  Has anyone heard of a band named Madrigal?  I just heard an album of theirs named "On My Hands" that I consider (not equal to but) worthy of consideration from classic Genesis fans looking for a similar approach with a modern sensibility.  By modern I mean 80's or 90's... Wow... I must be really *old*!  LOL!!  But you know what I mean.  More modern than 70's era Genesis. 

I'll personally rate Madrigal above 80's Marillion and IQ any day. 

Mark Stephens

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 12:13
Too distracted Friday night.  My attempts to listen to Nursery Cryme devolved into "background listening" as I did other things...  I shouldn't be surprised that I got the same result I've had over the years:  a vague sense of audio drama in the background, a notch above but not particularly unlike the music of any number of neo-proggers. 

Now I'm not saying that this was a fair and accurate assessment.  Only that I'm going to have to really *listen* if I want to really *connect* with this music.

One general impression I can offer from the background listening... Hackett and Collins are more adept, fluid and downright comfortable than their predecessors IMO. 
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 12:17
I envy you a bit progpositively, for being in the position of trying to get into the early Genesis albums for the  first time. Oh, those days! Nursery Cryme was really a very important album back in those days. Now it has lost a lot of its magic after hearing zillions of other bands.

I don't want to sound elitist, but nowadays I have to listen to more and more extreme left-field bands to get a impression of hearing something new.

I guess I am an old f**t

Sorry for being a killjoy...

Edited by Rottenhat - April 24 2010 at 12:24
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 12:23
^ He has my envy too Rot.  I remember vividly first hearing the Foxtrot album at a friends house.  That particular one was in his father's record collection (this had to be late 70's?), and neither I nor my friend had ever heard it (though I already knew Watcher from Genesis Live, which I had on 8-track).  Never forget how we were blown away more and more with each consecutive minute.

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>