Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe beatles vs the rolling stones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Poll Question: which one do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
132 [84.62%]
24 [15.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 12:27
That confuses me. You Can't Always Get What You Want sounds totally identifiable from Gimmie Shelter, Country Honk, Angie, Paint it Black, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sympathy for the Devil, Wild Horses, etc. etc. Sure, Exile On Main St. is too much for me, but...
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 14:13
Originally posted by EchidnasArf EchidnasArf wrote:

Not to go off topic here, but The Rolling Stones certainly were not generic for their time. Modern pop rock is a derivative of stuff like the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc.. That's why you think the Rolling Stones sound generic, but you've got it backwards.

False, this attitude comes from people feel the need to divide the line between blues and rock. The Rolling Stones WERE generic for their time, they just broke through when the others didn't.   And I'm getting out of here, I'm not defending the Beatles anymore, i'm usually on the other side of that argument.  

Point in case, classical music and jazz had already existed, making three chord music absolutely worthless.  If you're going three chord at least go blues and have some emotion and spontaneity.  But for the same reason I can't listen to straight blues much either anymore...too repetitive.  But thats better than repetitive with horrible vocal concepts, not to mention that nobody in these bands did anything technically impressive.  I don't look for technical ability (i listen to jam bands and ambient most of the time, so certainly not), but seeing people play such repetitive and simple music just aggravates me beyond belief.  As I said, if they started music in general with simple music it'd be acceptable....but nope.

And before I get attacked, I've already stated that I simply hate pop music.  I know what the lyrical concept is going into it (because it's almost always the same) and the minute I hear the song I know exactly where its going....because it's going to repeat.  I can handle pop qualities, like poppier Zappa and stuff like Caravan, but thats because at least it brings something remotely original to the table.  I just can't believe people talk so much about these people who "invented rock and roll".  Yeah they invented it depending on where and when you put the divider, but it was nothing that hadn't been done before.

Edited by himtroy - August 06 2011 at 14:22
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 14:33
^ You're so damn objective and factual and you base everything you say on truthful analysis. Pop music is objectively, scientifically, the worst genre, and your music tastes are the apex of all rational thought, you god-king of all. My favorite fact from you?

'making three chord music absolutely worthless'. I'm sure that's an obscure Einstein quote, huh? Another?
'horrible vocal concepts' - which I read in the latest edition of my Physics textbook. I love your indisputably intrinsic universal truths.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 14:37
Haha.  Thanks.  Maybe I should write a blog and you should subscribe.  I didn't feel the need to state subjectivity seeing as this is a discussion forum and not somewhere where we're reading facts.  Since people keep going on about it, what did the Beatles and Stones REALLY do?  State it.  And I mean from a musical standpoint, I don't really care about success rates

Edited by himtroy - August 06 2011 at 14:40
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 14:41
I don't care about 'doing' or 'success rates'. I only ONLY care about how hard a song hits my heart. Originality I don't care one tit for.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 14:51
So now are you implying that I have to hold to what YOU ONLY care for?  This is a discussion thread, not a praise the hell out of X thread, so get the hell off my ass for not looking for the same standards in music.  I've realized that theres enough music out there to get the emotional satisfaction with the originality, and over my entire life of listening to music have gotten sick of recycled ABAB formats.  Cool, listen to what you want to, and I'll listen to what I want to.  And I'll make sure I post only things that everybody will agree with, because thats the purpose here.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 14:54
When did I ever say you had to hold to what only I care for? Why take me in such a serious manner? As for 'being agreeable', I'm the guy that wrote such a distasteful Iron Maiden review (gosh I hated Final Frontier) that it got me kicked out of prog reviewer status. Do what makes you happy in your heart of hearts, man. That's all I want from you.

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 14:59
Look, I'm just getting annoyed when you keep implying my "passing things off as universal truths" because I defend my arguments.  The same I wish people everywhere would actually defend their arguments rather than just bickering back and fourth as we are.  This is the kind of garbage that makes me leave boards for months at a time.  I don't have any interest in this arguing with people about nothing when I don't even know them, I want to talk about music.  However, I'm ill right now and am not going to work and am incapable of physically doing much, so as for now I'm lingering quite a bit.  But no more
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 15:01
The Rolling Stones wrote sooooooooooooooooooooo many more better songs than the "Fab" Four did. The Stones are at the top of the list for the definition of rock n roll.......I mean really people!
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 15:05
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

Look, I'm just getting annoyed when you keep implying my "passing things off as universal truths" because I defend my arguments.  The same I wish people everywhere would actually defend their arguments rather than just bickering back and fourth as we are.  This is the kind of garbage that makes me leave boards for months at a time.  I don't have any interest in this arguing with people about nothing when I don't even know them, I want to talk about music.  However, I'm ill right now and am not going to work and am incapable of physically doing much, so as for now I'm lingering quite a bit.  But no more

I'm the last person you need to let offend you, because my offense will be of least import. I'm not some dissenting, arrogant dickface whose only claim to life is touting some inanity about objectivity in a goddamn rock music forum. What happened that causes you be unable to physically do much?
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 15:18
I am with the Beatles... Smile 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Come on! Don´t be like that! We´ve got some sympathy for the devil over here.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 15:33
 "Dissenting, arrogant, dickface"seemed a bit unnecessary as I never verbally attacked you, only argued against your arguments."  But whatever, I'm done being attacked by someone I don't and never will know on a forum that I come to to talk about music.  So begins another hiatus of message boards, which leaves busting out the Sega Genesis as my other option.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 15:39
I'm not attacking you and I didn't say you were attacking me. I was indirectly calling myself what would seem to be a dissenting dickface. I was refuting my previous manner of conduct. Gawsh, I friggin' hate the difficulty in communicating with another human being through text. I'm sincerely attempting to show concern, here. 
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 16:03

The Beatles were ground-breaking, and factoring in the 6 or 7 year gap between them and prog bands, I would say they actually were more progressive! Eleanor Rigby, A Day in the Life, Norwegian Wood, Mr Kite...... very innovative stuff. And isn't the Abbey Road suite technically the second ever side-long suite?

I love the Stones but this is one of the most pointless, yet popular, arguments about 20th century pop music.

By the way, you two arguers, take a look at my sig down there!

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 16:09
I'm not arguing! I sincerely want for the guy to only experience happiness and joy in his heart at all times. I'm not the a****le I make myself out to be. 
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 16:30
Of course, you are the a****le others make you out to be. Wink

EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 16:31
between the two, Beatles, but RS aren't getting any justice on this poll Unhappy
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 16:32
Funny, but this is the same argumentation as we had in the school yard in the mid sixties. LOL

However, we did agree on one thing; The Beatles were best appreciated if you just wanted to sit still and listen to music, while The Stones made you want to dance.
I still play Let It Bleed and Exile when I'm cleaning windows.Thumbs Up

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 17:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Come on! Don´t be like that! We´ve got some sympathy for the devil over here.

hehe ... Evil Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>