Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 13:53
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Mosh, have you ever heard Dzyan?

Yeah ... I don't have the albums, but have them on the Space Pirate Radio shows ... only problem is ... I have no idea which it is as there is about 10% of the material played in there that I have no idea what it is.

But it is on my must get list.

I also have several solo albums from many Japanese folks. Imai is the one that comes to mind right away. And I think that he came from the Sadistic Mika Band ... that whole family had some awesome musicians around them. I want to get Sadistic Mika Band's first album for Dean on his birthday ... if he doesn't have it ... and then play "Picanic Boogie" out loud for him ... psychedelic fun!

Edited by moshkito - March 22 2011 at 14:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 14:25
The Swedish band "The Skull Defekts". may be interesting for krautrockers. Reminds me of Can.

The video is black in the beginning, picture will come later.

Edited by Rottenhat - March 22 2011 at 14:42
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 15:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

His first album "D" (1971) is a masterpiece - the rest of his catalogue seems to me to be rather boring new age stuff. (not really that much into it - but what I've heard is very disappointing compared to the amazing "D")

And this is the only album that could/should/would be described as "krautrock", or at least it has passages in it that fit the description really well.

Eberhard Schoenner ... is gonna be tough for this place ... because he is all over the place, and very good, although in my book his later stuff went down hill a bit for my tastes. I think, can not verify it, that he is responsible for helping The Police come together.  Bali Agung is great, but one of my all time favorite albums for meditation ... is .... you got it ... Tranceformation ... it was the first album to mix Gregorian Chants, Electric Guitar and Electronics, I think. And the guitar? ... Andy Summers! ... and in the next two or three albums ... you got Sting singing.  ... "Why Don't You Answer?" ...

I would like to add Eberhard to this group here, but writing about him is gonna be tough ... not sure I have seen a whole lot about him ... I'll see what I can do about this.

There are a lot of electronic and experimental folks in the mid 70's, that was really exciting, and I hope to make a small list of them and the things I have ... both German and French were massive in this area.

I agree that Schoener went downhill later, but up to "Trance-Formation" he did some excellent stuff. "Flashback" and "Video Magic" were ok too, but with "Events" he really went downhill.
he never was new age though; I disagree there. not even "Meditation" can be called "new age", and "Bali Agung" and "Tranceformation" definitely are not new age. my favorite album is "Bali Agung"

Edited by BaldJean - March 22 2011 at 15:15

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 16:26

Wow, this song is awesome! Guess I know what I'm going to be looking for now Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2011 at 16:43

Wow this was really cool to watch!

Warning: Video not for the feint of heart. Just kidding! LOLTongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 14:15
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I agree that Schoener went downhill later, but up to "Trance-Formation" he did some excellent stuff. "Flashback" and "Video Magic" were ok too, but with "Events" he really went downhill. He never was new age though; I disagree there. not even "Meditation" can be called "new age", and "Bali Agung" and "Tranceformation" definitely are not new age. my favorite album is "Bali Agung"

The last album of his that I have, was the one where he did electronics around birds flying and the sound that their flying made ... that was kinda neat ... and sounded nice. It is quite close to the sounds I hear when flying around the planets and galaxies and meditating ... not the same, but somewhat similar ... with the space wind sounds in "In Search of Ancient Gods" and from the Nasa archives mixed in some. Very similar to the desctiptions that Robert Monroe has on his own first 3 books.

The biggest issue, is that he belongs with experiments and attempts at creating new music and to him, it didn't matter what it was, or what the results were (how krautrock that is!) ... and in that sense a lot of what he did was interesting, and a lot of what he did was NOT interesting.

What I have not heard is the stuff that he did with Deep Purple ... it seems strange that Jon Lord would have learned something from Eberhard, but it could be possible, or maybe it was just background noise or other. I, personally, am not a Deep Purple fan, and think the music was too much "middle of the road" like most radio stuff. One song here or there ... is not important for me.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Ijon Tichy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijon Tichy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 14:29
This one 's essential. Greetings from Berlin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 04:09
Hello Krautrockers!

I was down at the local record store and saw a familiar name. It was Faust, and I wasn't really a fan of their first album, even though it was essential. But Faust IV was suppose to be an "easier" listen, (and I don't think I've fully appreciated the album/Faust's sound just yet). After I bought the album I played it on the car ride home. The first song, Krautrock, had that particular Faust sound I was aware of from the first album, but less experimental. The fuzzy trance-like feeling the song had made me feel buzzed, in a good way. What a song. But for first time Faust listeners, Faust IV is a pretty easy album to get into. It has that catchy repetitive "krautrock" sound, but with the buzz saw insanity that is Faust. This album really did justice for Faust for me. This album is a lot of fun, and I loved how Faust always has to ruin a beautiful moment, just because they can.

This is my favorite song in the album!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 05:03
Missed this thread completely!
Great idea to get some Kraut out there - alongside RPI, electronic and psychedelic - the German scene is probably one of my all time favorites. Great videos posted in here - Krautrock on Youtube?LOL

Do you guys know of Bobby Beausoleil´s Lucifer Rising? The guy was associated with Charles Manson back in the 60s and went on to kill a drug dealer for selling him bum mescalin. This album was supposedly written by Bobby during his incarceration - and somehow the band managed to cook up a true masterpiece of transcendental music. I´m mentioning this, because I personally feel the album has a distinct Kraut flavor to it - halfway between Gila´s first and Solar Suite Music by Grobschnitt, but entirely original. The record is from 1976-1979 (no real certainty there...) and made in the US as a soundtrack for the Kevin Anger movie bearing the same name. Maybe that is why it´s listed here under electronic. 
Anyways if you love Krautrock, be sure to check this mother out!
Great thread. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 05:31
An excellent band which is mentioned way too little is Between. Here an example:

Another band which deserves more attention is Annexus Quam. Here two examples:

And how about Mythos? Here a track from their first untitled album, in two parts:

And then there are Exmagma, another band well worth listening too:

And how about Janus?

And of course Embryo:

Edited by BaldFriede - March 31 2011 at 06:36

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 06:18
Yes, "Lucifer rising", an arid but original record.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 06:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJcnPsDB2NM

I don't understand how you do to display the video window

Edited by oliverstoned - March 31 2011 at 06:22
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 06:24
cool thread, thanks Andrew!Clap

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 06:39
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Oliver, on the right beside the button for inclusion of a web address there is the button for including a picture, and on the right of that there is the button for including a video.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 06:52
I love that Janus album, although it sounds a tad bipolar with the Sabbath influenced first side and then a floating Kraut gem occupying the whole of the second side. Must have been hard to advertise these buggers... 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 08:39
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Oliver, on the right beside the button for inclusion of a web address there is the button for including a picture, and on the right of that there is the button for including a video.

Thanks for the help Friede but strangely i don't find this button.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 09:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I love that Janus album, although it sounds a tad bipolar with the Sabbath influenced first side and then a floating Kraut gem occupying the whole of the second side. Must have been hard to advertise these buggers... 

Janus was not really a Krautrock band. See the ( rather extensive )  Janus band bio I  here with the help of multi-instrumentalist Colin Orr who keeps the Janus flame going. There have been 7 albums since Gravedigger and   another album in the works that will have material that never saw the light of day back in '73.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 09:39
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Janus was not really a Krautrock band. See the ( rather extensive )  Janus band bio I  here with the help of multi-instrumentalist Colin Orr who keeps the Janus flame going. There have been 7 albums since Gravedigger and   another album in the works that will have material that never saw the light of day back in '73.

I know, but that last track comes very close to Kraut IMO. 
I don´t know anything about a new release of old material - That sounds really interesting. Thanks for the heads upBig smile

- Douglas Adams
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 09:49
I'll keep the site posted. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 10:05

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Thanks for the help Friede but strangely i don't find this button.

Oliver, if you don't see this button you have to hit the arrow which is the second button from the right; this will show the Full Reply Editor.. In the menu you get then you will see two rows of buttons; it it the seventh button from the left in the top row then..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 64>