Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReforming the PA database in democratic manner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'd never say "I'm an admin and I say shut up" btw - people are free to ramble all they want- just open a new thread for a new topic and ramble away to your heart's content.
ClapApproveHugHeart
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 04:42
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I would rather like to see PA database expanded to include certain artists:

1.) Prog-psych-hard rock-jam bands of early 70's ('proto' after 'proto prog' period)
2.) Avant-pop complex artists of new wave/no-wave period
3.) World fusion
4.) Some electronica (IDM in Warp Records style and similar granular textures)
5.) some classical Heavy Metal which borrows from classical prog - multi-part long compositions, bass solos etc. (Helloween, even Manowar, but not Running Wild)
6.) perhaps neo-classical gothic music
7.) prog-related needs EXPANSION (there's a good reason why - I'll elaborate why if anyone insists)

By adding these, we would not open the flood gates - a huge mass of ProgArchives will simply relocate its barycenter a bit.

So basically you'd propose that the site changes name to: AnythingClarke2001LikesArchives.comTongueWink, right???

sounds democratic enoughTongueLOLLOLLOL!!!

Edited by Sean Trane - March 24 2011 at 04:43
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 04:49
^No, actually I don't like half of these.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 06:50
My feeling is that clarkes suggestions are fair - as long as we are adding to... not taking artists off the database.
The efficacy of adding artists has been excellent of late looking at the Added thread, so it is working well. 

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 24 2011 at 06:52
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 20:46
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

I'd never say "I'm an admin and I say shut up" btw - people are free to ramble all they want- just open a new thread for a new topic and ramble away to your heart's content.
ClapApproveHugHeart

I'll second that one ... Dean might not like it ... but I would buy him a dinner and a show in a minute if I was in London (wherever he is) for him and his significant other.

Now, as for his doggie ... sorry pug! We'll have to see about a bone! Wink 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 20:51

But it would give the site a different look ... with its proper sections ...

In fact, this would only require a FRONT END clean up ... not any database changes ... though I would still suggest some clean up on some links and information to help define the areas and style a bit better ... AND ... in a more clear and concise way -- that is VISIBLE and can be charted. We will have to have Paravion create a nice chart for it ... and not make it 3 or 4 or 5 dimentional so we can't find anything in it!   Confused

I do agree ... database changes are a mess ... and often risky ... and that was not what I really was wanting to get across Dean. We have the same issue where I work ... but the front end? ... can get cleaned up anytime and it only takes the desire to do so!

And I wanna use some more of Darkside's pictures, too! ... and hopefully he won't charge us for it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 04:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

But it would give the site a different look ... with its proper sections ...

In fact, this would only require a FRONT END clean up ... not any database changes ... though I would still suggest some clean up on some links and information to help define the areas and style a bit better ... AND ... in a more clear and concise way -- that is VISIBLE and can be charted. We will have to have Paravion create a nice chart for it ... and not make it 3 or 4 or 5 dimentional so we can't find anything in it!   Confused

I do agree ... database changes are a mess ... and often risky ... and that was not what I really was wanting to get across Dean. We have the same issue where I work ... but the front end? ... can get cleaned up anytime and it only takes the desire to do so!

And I wanna use some more of Darkside's pictures, too! ... and hopefully he won't charge us for it!
I don't want to labour the point (but I shall Wink), this is not the tread for discussing format changes to the front end. This thread is for discussing content of the database.

I think changes to the front end can contain some good ideas and can be an improvement. Moving the interviews out of the forum and onto the main PA is a great idea - the blogs are already accessible by that method so why not the interviews. But please, open a new thread to discuss things like that.

(I'm not a fan of Abel's collages, but that's just me)
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 04:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

ClapApproveHugHeart

I'll second that one ... Dean might not like it ... but I would buy him a dinner and a show in a minute if I was in London (wherever he is) for him and his significant other.

Now, as for his doggie ... sorry pug! We'll have to see about a bone! Wink 
LOL getting me to London is harder, however, if I'm ever orbitting planet Pedro...

(ps I hate dogs slightly more than I hate Lundin)
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 04:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

1.) Prog-psych-hard rock-jam bands of early 70's ('proto' after 'proto prog' period)
3.) World fusion
5.) some classical Heavy Metal which borrows from classical prog - multi-part long compositions, bass solos etc. (Helloween, even Manowar, but not Running Wild)
7.) prog-related needs EXPANSION (there's a good reason why - I'll elaborate why if anyone insists)

By adding these, we would not open the flood gates - a huge mass of ProgArchives will simply relocate its barycenter a bit.

So basically you'd propose that the site changes name to: AnythingClarke2001LikesArchives.comTongueWink, right???

Moris is absolutely the last person you could accuse of doing that Tongue

Edited by Dean - March 25 2011 at 04:31
What?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 05:02

3.) World fusion

Moris is absolutely the last person you could accuse of doing that Tongue

Dean, it was a JOKE!!!!Cool

Just in case.....Wink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 05:27

Just in case.....Wink

I know, but jokes lose their funny on the nth telling Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While tracking down the missing ID numbers that Keishiro asked about earlier I spent a lot of time on the WayBackMachine looking at the previous incarnations of the ProgArchives over the years. While it is not a comprehensive record, it does have several snapshots of the site at numerous points in time going back to 2002. What that shows is many of the bands currently in Prog Related were added to the PA in "pure" Prog subs before the creation of the PR category. While that is not a "defence" of PR as such, it does demonstrate that people's opinions of what does and does not belong here did not change because of the creation of the PR category, it's always been like that and always will be like that. It also indcates that this "opinion" is not polarised into inclusive and exclusive - there are degrees inbetween and each of us has a different view of what that degree is. I err towards the inclusive and can see some logic in including some IDM artists, but don't see a place for The Stranglers or The Tubes for example - each of us is inclusive and exclusive in some way.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 14:59

Just in case.....Wink

There is an exception to that rule ... when The Goons go on doing shell jokes!

LOL
Wink
Smile
Tongue
Cool
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 16:30

Ah-hem, on topic. Stern Smile

What?
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 01:41
Back on topic. I won't discuss the expansion of our database, which was the by-the-way idea on top of my mind, and it's not going to happen any time soon.

Keishiro mentioned reforming of our database - I guess that could be interpreted as organizing it in a convenient way - with an accent on obscure, even dubious artists listed in the most problematic category: prog-related.

I absolutely agree this should be done: someone might say 'our primary goal is addition of the bands', but if our database is messy, it will only get messier; PA is also prone to entropy.

There are plenty of ways in which this could be done, but I think there's no point in starting of avalanche concering multi-tagging, various sub-splitting of categories and so forth. These task require M@x to hot-rod our web engine; let's see what could be done with the resources we got.

Prog-related is a pile of artist which could be divided in few subcategories:

1)a bands with progressive members (that sounds ridiculous I know) which carried the torch cigarette lighter after the golden era, like Asia,
2)one-off artists, with one or perhaps two prog albums that went pop and are widely know for being pop,
3)borderline prog artists, balancing between prog and pop/new age/whatever
4)influential artists,
5)other (including mistakes).

This could be applied to proto-prog to a degree, and in fact to all prog genres here.

What we might do, (and we know we won't delete any bands) is to acknowledge in biographies to which flock each of the birdies belongs. Perhaps we might do a coherent history in a prog blog, maybe with something like 'rock family tree' picture. If I'm not mistaken, fields where biographies are written allow hyperlinks. That might be useful, minimize the confusion, and help even us, veteran collabs, discover relevant artists (for knowledge or for joy).

One more thing I must mention: each subgenre, and consequentially, each genre team have 'skeletons in the closet', but I feel Crossover is currently suffering the most from that syndrome. I see too often tasteless remarks with new suggestions along the lines of 'well add X to Crossover, it won't be more ridiculous than Y that is already there', sometimes even from the collaborators. I guess it would be good idea to move certain controversial artists to prog-related, regardless of what some of us might feel about the band, myself included. I'm like everybody else: with some additions I agree, with some I don't. Big deal. But for some it seems it is big deal, to the point they're laughing at our credibility,Angry and we don't deserve that. Cynicism is one thing, trivializing of someone else's hard work is another. With moving these artists to PR, we would minimize, or at least localize our problems.

Edited by clarke2001 - March 26 2011 at 01:44
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 19:24

While tracking down the missing ID numbers that Keishiro asked about earlier I spent a lot of time on the WayBackMachine looking at the previous incarnations of the ProgArchives over the years. While it is not a comprehensive record, it does have several snapshots of the site at numerous points in time going back to 2002. What that shows is many of the bands currently in Prog Related were added to the PA in "pure" Prog subs before the creation of the PR category. While that is not a "defence" of PR as such, it does demonstrate that people's opinions of what does and does not belong here did not change because of the creation of the PR category, it's always been like that and always will be like that. It also indcates that this "opinion" is not polarised into inclusive and exclusive - there are degrees inbetween and each of us has a different view of what that degree is. I err towards the inclusive and can see some logic in including some IDM artists, but don't see a place for The Stranglers or The Tubes for example - each of us is inclusive and exclusive in some way.
I've given a glance around the WayBackMachine and read your post carefully ... current Prog-Related subgenre section is indeed not "defence" nor "buffer", but upon the historical background in Progarchives, Prog-Related may be a necessary shelter for non-fully-blown progressive artists included in the early days of PA, I guess.

Anyway, thanks Dean for your detailed expression and sincere opinion.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - March 26 2011 at 19:49
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 19:49

Back on topic. I won't discuss the expansion of our database, which was the by-the-way idea on top of my mind, and it's not going to happen any time soon.

Keishiro mentioned reforming of our database - I guess that could be interpreted as organizing it in a convenient way - with an accent on obscure, even dubious artists listed in the most problematic category: prog-related.

I absolutely agree this should be done: someone might say 'our primary goal is addition of the bands', but if our database is messy, it will only get messier; PA is also prone to entropy.

There are plenty of ways in which this could be done, but I think there's no point in starting of avalanche concering multi-tagging, various sub-splitting of categories and so forth. These task require M@x to hot-rod our web engine; let's see what could be done with the resources we got.

1)a bands with progressive members (that sounds ridiculous I know) which carried the torch cigarette lighter after the golden era, like Asia,
2)one-off artists, with one or perhaps two prog albums that went pop and are widely know for being pop,
4)influential artists,

This could be applied to proto-prog to a degree, and in fact to all prog genres here.

What we might do, (and we know we won't delete any bands) is to acknowledge in biographies to which flock each of the birdies belongs. Perhaps we might do a coherent history in a prog blog, maybe with something like 'rock family tree' picture. If I'm not mistaken, fields where biographies are written allow hyperlinks. That might be useful, minimize the confusion, and help even us, veteran collabs, discover relevant artists (for knowledge or for joy).

One more thing I must mention: each subgenre, and consequentially, each genre team have 'skeletons in the closet', but I feel Crossover is currently suffering the most from that syndrome. I see too often tasteless remarks with new suggestions along the lines of 'well add X to Crossover, it won't be more ridiculous than Y that is already there', sometimes even from the collaborators. I guess it would be good idea to move certain controversial artists to prog-related, regardless of what some of us might feel about the band, myself included. I'm like everybody else: with some additions I agree, with some I don't. Big deal. But for some it seems it is big deal, to the point they're laughing at our credibility,Angry and we don't deserve that. Cynicism is one thing, trivializing of someone else's hard work is another. With moving these artists to PR, we would minimize, or at least localize our problems.
Guess such a discussion now we're doing may be very sensitive ... and such a large / expanding website commune like Progarchives can be improved or go forward upon a better way, only if we try to improve or drive upon the better way.
In this sense various opinions are welcome for us.

Quite well-said, Moris. We PA members have to clear various hurdles for improving this expanding commune, but we must can try to.

Many thanks.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 22:26

Just in case.....Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean, were the 'pure prog subs' circa 2002 broadly similar to what we have now?
Did forum debate circa 2002 drive the site owners or genre teams to move the artists in question from the pure prog subs to the new category of Prog Related? (or was it a unilateral step?)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 23:37

Why move them?  Weren't said artists added to Crossover for good reasons and voted in?  Seems to me that's the point; trust.  If some Collab wants to be idiotic enough to continually bash a fellow team for doing their job, that's the problem.

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 00:57

4)influential artists,

Couple of comments here. My understanding of how things work is that if a band or artist has ONE thoroughgoing prog album then for the purposes of this archive they need to be categorised as a type of prog. It doesn't matter if their subsequent twenty albums were pure pop. Is my understanding correct?

Example: DRAGON, the New Zealand band, put out two pure prog albums in the early 70s. I have them. They should be in the archives, and not as prog-related either, despite the fact they abandoned prog and became a rather successful pop band ('April Sun In Cuba', 'Are You Old Enough'). Had they stopped after their first two albums no one would dispute their inclusion here.

As for Crossover, my understanding is that Crossover Prog artists are 'predominantly progressive with elements of popular music'. This does make things difficult for those deciding who should be included, as there are those members for whom any whiff of 'pop' is anathema and will be upset by such inclusions. I'm looking forward to working with the Crossover team, and I don't feel PA's credibility is threatened by what we do. I get what you're saying, Clarke2001, and your suggestion might defuse a few arguments, but I don't see how shifting Crossover acts to prog-related would aid us in our aim of being the most comprehensive prog resource on the internet.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 02:16
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

4)influential artists,

Couple of comments here. My understanding of how things work is that if a band or artist has ONE thoroughgoing prog album then for the purposes of this archive they need to be categorised as a type of prog. It doesn't matter if their subsequent twenty albums were pure pop. Is my understanding correct?

Example: DRAGON, the New Zealand band, put out two pure prog albums in the early 70s. I have them. They should be in the archives, and not as prog-related either, despite the fact they abandoned prog and became a rather successful pop band ('April Sun In Cuba', 'Are You Old Enough'). Had they stopped after their first two albums no one would dispute their inclusion here.

As for Crossover, my understanding is that Crossover Prog artists are 'predominantly progressive with elements of popular music'. This does make things difficult for those deciding who should be included, as there are those members for whom any whiff of 'pop' is anathema and will be upset by such inclusions. I'm looking forward to working with the Crossover team, and I don't feel PA's credibility is threatened by what we do. I get what you're saying, Clarke2001, and your suggestion might defuse a few arguments, but I don't see how shifting Crossover acts to prog-related would aid us in our aim of being the most comprehensive prog resource on the internet.
Yes and to add to Russell's comments people need to stop " dumbing down" crossover. It is a credible genre whether some people perceive otherwise. Prog Related has it's place too. Those that helped form it did a good job. Understand that lines get blurred......
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>