Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
52 [40.00%]
78 [60.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:45
Genesis is better than Pink Floyd, but Meddle is a more complete album. I think that the epics oh each album are equal (Supper's Ready and Echoes, both are some of the greatest prog rock songs ever written), but the rest of Meddle (especially One of these days and Fearless) are superior to the rest of Foxtrot. Genesis have better albums, like SEBTP, Trespass and The Lamb
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:59
Had to go with Foxtrot on this one. Meddle is excellent, but it presents Floyd in transition from psychedelia to their period of greatest achievement. Foxtrot, on the other hand, presents Genesis in full progressive flower, and is arguably the best album they've ever made.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 14:24
Originally posted by Mista-Gordie Mista-Gordie wrote:

Genesis is better than Pink Floyd, but Meddle is a more complete album. I think that the epics oh each album are equal (Supper's Ready and Echoes, both are some of the greatest prog rock songs ever written), but the rest of Meddle (especially One of these days and Fearless) are superior to the rest of Foxtrot. Genesis have better albums, like SEBTP, Trespass and The Lamb
No, those two songs ain't even close to being superior to the "rest of Foxtrot." I'm afraid you've missed it. One of These Days is a rousing instrumental in its own right but no more than that, and Fearless is primarily a sing-a-long. And both epics are just about equal in length, but Supper's Ready is economic in its approach whereas Echoes sounded like it was twice as long as it is, overwrought and somewhat dated.
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 16:12
Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

No, those two songs ain't even close to being superior to the "rest of Foxtrot." I'm afraid you've missed it. One of These Days is a rousing instrumental in its own right but no more than that, and Fearless is primarily a sing-a-long. And both epics are just about equal in length, but Supper's Ready is economic in its approach whereas Echoes sounded like it was twice as long as it is, overwrought and somewhat dated.
Dude thats just your opinion, and it's not the way we should all think. I think Genesis is an overall best band than Pink Floyd, but Foxtrot is just not as good as people say, and (I'm not saying ur'e thinking like that) but there are many people who say Foxtrot is a masterpiece just because of Supper's ready, and personnaly I find that Meddle is a more complete album. Echoes isn't a long piece at all and maybe it isn't just enough accessible for you. Echoes is THE Pink floyd's masterpiece, filled with incredible ambiances. When you haven't heard enough instrumental music, you can find it long, and it's probably your case. 
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 14:51
Foxtrot
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
silcir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 15:05
Foxtrot. This was much easier for me than the Selling vs dark side poll.
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:13

Dude thats just your opinion, and it's not the way we should all think. I think Genesis is an overall best band than Pink Floyd, but Foxtrot is just not as good as people say, and (I'm not saying ur'e thinking like that) but there are many people who say Foxtrot is a masterpiece just because of Supper's ready, and personnaly I find that Meddle is a more complete album. Echoes isn't a long piece at all and maybe it isn't just enough accessible for you. Echoes is THE Pink floyd's masterpiece, filled with incredible ambiances. When you haven't heard enough instrumental music, you can find it long, and it's probably your case. 
I've heard a ton of instrumentals. And isn't Floyd's masterpiece Dark Side'?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:46

I've heard a ton of instrumentals. And isn't Floyd's masterpiece Dark Side'?
I think they've made more than one. However Echoes is my fav.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 14:16
Foxtrot is in my humble opinion the best prog album ever, so...
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 18:47
Originally posted by overmatik overmatik wrote:

Foxtrot is in my humble opinion the best prog album ever, so...

Amen

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 19:27
A Pillow of Winds tops everything on side one of Foxtrot all by itself. Tongue

Supper's Ready is a great track but far too much is read into it - just as Close To The Edge is three somewhat regular rock songs crashed together, so it is with Supper's Ready - it's seven regular songs with similar or reoccurring melodies glued together to form a longer suite. Whereas Echoes is a single composition in two sections that contains movement, progression, shifting time signatures, improvisation, experimentation and development through the entire 23 minutes of the piece - there really is no comparison between them.

erm, I guess that's a vote for Meddle from me then Shocked
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 19:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

A Pillow of Winds tops everything on side one of Foxtrot all by itself. Tongue

Supper's Ready is a great track but far too much is read into it - just as Close To The Edge is three somewhat regular rock songs crashed together, so it is with Supper's Ready - it's seven regular songs with similar or reoccurring melodies glued together to form a longer suite. Whereas Echoes is a single composition in two sections that contains movement, progression, shifting time signatures, improvisation, experimentation and development through the entire 23 minutes of the piece - there really is no comparison between them.

erm, I guess that's a vote for Meddle from me then Shocked

"Echoes" is far less cohesive than "Close to the Edge."

Both took me time to enjoy, but "Echoes" still has way more sections than two.  And that experimentation in the middle is terrible compared to "I get up, I get down." 

The middle section of "Close to the Edge," along with Kansas' "Miracles Out of Nowhere," got me realizing that there is more to rock than riffs.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 02:42
Foxtrot, no doubt
Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 17:05
Still close. When this poll his page 2 it will be closed.
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 20:24
Meddle for me.
progtapper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

Foxtrot it is, absolutely no competition here.

My thought
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 16:18
If you asked me 'Selling England vs. Meddle', I'd say the former. Any other Genesis album versus even my seventh favorite PF record (After Dark, Wish, Animals, Final Cut, Wall, Clouds) is a vote for the Pinkest of Floyds. Thank you and g'night.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 16:32
very tough, depends much on what one's criteria are--  but objectively speaking if one judges on consistency of content, I'd think Foxtrot would have to take it.  Not that I don't love Meddle - including the novelty cuts - but if I'm being fair, for high quality throughout and good production, Genesis takes this one.  That said, Floyd had a power on that release that is unmatched by almost any band, one of the truly great rock experiences, and I don't know if I'd say that of 'Trot.

Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 21:50
Foxtrot!
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 04:16
Meddle by a mile for me, but only because of "Echoes". I like Foxtrot too though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>